View Full Version : Corey Brewer tonight - DNP

lefty
03-19-2011, 02:31 AM
So this is the GOAT top teams were after?

chazley
03-19-2011, 02:35 AM
I think you should switch your avatar and signature around.

mavsfan1000
03-19-2011, 02:46 AM
What Cuban and Carlisle want tend to be different. lol

crc21209
03-19-2011, 02:56 AM
But, but, but he's the Mavs savior! :rolleyes :lol And so was Chandler, and so was Roddy B....

Fireball
03-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Spurs did not get him ... success for Cuban

Hooks
03-19-2011, 03:06 AM
I would love to have him with the Spurs. He's a pretty good defender and he'd probably fit in with the Spurs pretty well. I don't think he'd allow Marion to dominate him like Marion did with Bonner either.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Very strange decision by Carlisle. I would have thrown him at Manu, especially in the 4th quarter. Maybe he's holding that wrinkle back for the playoffs? Or is Brewer not sufficiently up on their system to the point where he's getting in the way and interrupting the team's flow? He looked good in one of the games I saw soon after he joined the Mavs.

Ditty
03-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Yeah it looks like the move now was more to cock block the spurs from getting brewer. I wonder if Brewer would change his mind now but at the same time I bet pop would have been left on the bench himself.

Bruno
03-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Some coaches privilege the system over the talent. That's why Stevenson starts for Dallas or Bogans starts for Chicago. Carlisle barely playing Beaubois in last year playoffs while he was awesome was also a consequence of him being a system first coach.

benefactor
03-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Yeah it looks like the move now was more to cock block the spurs from getting brewer.
This is the correct answer.

cd98
03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Brewer and his offense is a problem for the Mavs unlike the Spurs. You can't have too many offensively challenged players on the court at once and Dallas, formerly a scoring team, is now more of a defensive team and their limited scoring makes it difficult for him to get in important games like ones with the Spurs.

The Spurs, on the other hand, have plenty of scoring options such that they could absorb his inferior offensive skills and still be effective.

FromWayDowntown
03-19-2011, 09:34 AM
It may have been a product of seeing what I wanted to see, but at the end of the game, as the players were heading to the locker rooms, the camera caught Corey Brewer passing by several Spurs and I could have sworn he looked like a guy who just realized he made a bad decision.

Cane
03-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Keith Bogans > Corey Brewer except when it comes to age and potential :)

Anyway Brewer should be getting more opportunities since Marion hurt his wrist last night. Plus he got more $$$ with the Mavs which is also pretty important when it comes to siding with the Mavs over the Spurs. To me his real value is his potential since I doubt he'll have much of an impact for this season and at age 25 he's still got time to develop.

FromWayDowntown
03-19-2011, 09:54 AM
The Mavs signed him to keep him away from teams more than to use him.

Apparently so. It's too bad that Corey Brewer didn't understand that when making his decision.

shorttotry
03-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Brewer and his offense is a problem for the Mavs unlike the Spurs. You can't have too many offensively challenged players on the court at once and Dallas, formerly a scoring team, is now more of a defensive team and their limited scoring makes it difficult for him to get in important games like ones with the Spurs.

The Spurs, on the other hand, have plenty of scoring options such that they could absorb his inferior offensive skills and still be effective.

+1. This

Obstructed_View
03-19-2011, 10:13 AM
The way the Spurs played defense last night, I don't see how Brewer would have helped the Spurs. If he were six inches taller, well the Spurs wouldn't even have wanted him in that case.

Em-City
03-19-2011, 11:24 AM
brewer > hill

Cane
03-19-2011, 11:45 AM
brewer > hill

Only in height.

Dex
03-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Hey, Brewer is the dipshit who decided to go to Dallas.

Hope he is enjoying all those meaningful minutes down there, since he sure as hell won't be enjoying a championship.

Harry Callahan
03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Corey Brewer chased dollars instead of the best place for his abilitites. The press in Dallas was touting Brewer as some kind of Bowen starter kit. Whatever. Brewer is a nice role player, but Bruce Bowen was a unique talent in a unique situation in SA.

Cuban wanted to prevent SA or some other contender from signing him and so he guarantees a three year deal for Brewer. Money talks, but it doesn't play basketball.

Once again (as he did with Brenda Haywood) Cubes bid against himself and signed the guy to a three year guaranteed deal before he set foot in Dallas. Dallas will also overpay for the guy who replaced the $8-9MM per year Haywood, when Chandler's deal expires after this season. You know what happens then? Tyson goes back into Hornet mode and has back problems when the guaranteed 5 year deal for $60-65MM has been inked.

The beat goes on in Mavericks land.

The III
03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Hooks , you the man. Big L was underrated .

Hemotivo
03-19-2011, 01:32 PM
ronnie > corey

Greg Oden
03-19-2011, 01:36 PM
spurfans are so clueless, it has to be painful.

Brewer played the worst quarter of defense one could play in the 1st quarter against the Warriors leading to a double digit lead. But Pop doesn't sit players for an extended time when they shit the bed either does he?

gospursgojas
03-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey, Brewer is the dipshit who decided to go to Dallas.

Hope he is enjoying all those meaningful minutes down there, since he sure as hell won't be enjoying a championship.

I was under the impression that Dallas would have gotten him regardless bc of the waiver process.

Dex
03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I was under the impression that Dallas would have gotten him regardless bc of the waiver process.

I thought he cleared waivers but I'm not at all certain and too lazy to look. :lol

leemajors
03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
spurfans are so clueless, it has to be painful.

Brewer played the worst quarter of defense one could play in the 1st quarter against the Warriors leading to a double digit lead. But Pop doesn't sit players for an extended time when they shit the bed either does he?

That would make sense. Didn't know he shat the bed that badly.

DPG21920
03-19-2011, 04:11 PM
But when Roddy sh*ts the bed, Mav fan still calls for minutes :lol and gets furious at RC for not playing him. But if CB sh*ts the bed, it's so obvious why he doesn't play.

Hooks
03-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Hooks , you the man. Big L was underrated .

Hell yeah, dude was a beast! Easily one of the greatest rappers of all time.

mingus
03-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Could just be a strategy they used to catch the Spurs offguard in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see LA not let us see their hand in the last meeting with against them.

roycrikside
03-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Very strange decision by Carlisle. I would have thrown him at Manu, especially in the 4th quarter. Maybe he's holding that wrinkle back for the playoffs? Or is Brewer not sufficiently up on their system to the point where he's getting in the way and interrupting the team's flow? He looked good in one of the games I saw soon after he joined the Mavs.

I'm of the opinion the Mavs mainly got Brewer so the Spurs wouldn't, but if you watched any Spurs-T-Wolves games over the past few years, you'd know that Brewer is Manu's bitch. The guy is a seriously overrated defender with a terrible basketball IQ who plays worse as games go on. It seems like every time we play those guys we're down 10 going into the fourth quarter, and Brewer is always prominently involved in Spurs comebacks with his horrible jumper, turnovers, fouls on Manu and-1s, what have you.

It's not like Brewer is some "hidden gem" who just happened to be on a bad team. He was actively one of the main reasons they were awful. He's just a choker and a poor player with a very limited skill set. To compare his defense to Bowen's is an insult to Bruce, plus Bowen at least had to keep defenses honest with his corner threes, which Brewer cannot hit. Brewer is a fucking loser.

I'm hopeful that the Spurs knew this all along and that it was a case of CIA-Pop pretending they wanted him in the hopes that someone like Dallas would waste their money on him. I never wanted the guy, that's for sure, and I DESPISE RJ.

redskinfan
03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm of the opinion the Mavs mainly got Brewer so the Spurs wouldn't, but if you watched any Spurs-T-Wolves games over the past few years, you'd know that Brewer is Manu's bitch. The guy is a seriously overrated defender with a terrible basketball IQ who plays worse as games go on. It seems like every time we play those guys we're down 10 going into the fourth quarter, and Brewer is always prominently involved in Spurs comebacks with his horrible jumper, turnovers, fouls on Manu and-1s, what have you.

It's not like Brewer is some "hidden gem" who just happened to be on a bad team. He was actively one of the main reasons they were awful. He's just a choker and a poor player with a very limited skill set. To compare his defense to Bowen's is an insult to Bruce, plus Bowen at least had to keep defenses honest with his corner threes, which Brewer cannot hit. Brewer is a fucking loser.

I'm hopeful that the Spurs knew this all along and that it was a case of CIA-Pop pretending they wanted him in the hopes that someone like Dallas would waste their money on him. I never wanted the guy, that's for sure, and I DESPISE RJ.

Well said, could be post of the year so far imo!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-19-2011, 07:28 PM

No doubt Brewer is a very poor offensive player - that was never in dispute - but I have seen him completely shut opposing wings down. Anyway, you make a good point that he doesn't do a great job on Manu - now that I think about it, Manu has repeatedly owned him, although that might also partly be a function of the extremely poor team defense in Minne.

Greg Oden
03-20-2011, 06:44 PM
But when Roddy sh*ts the bed, Mav fan still calls for minutes :lol and gets furious at RC for not playing him. But if CB sh*ts the bed, it's so obvious why he doesn't play.

I think it's a pretty fair statement to say that Roddy is and will be a better player than Cory Brewer.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
:lol I said this in the Corey Brewer thread..I still don't understand why he was so hyped..he's an average player, at best..

03-20-2011, 09:43 PM
brewer sucks... i'm surprised no one knew that.

Sean Cagney
03-20-2011, 10:34 PM
:lol I said this in the Corey Brewer thread..I still don't understand why he was so hyped..he's an average player, at best..

True,some just get desperate I guess. One idiot said the long awaited tall SF eludes us again :rollin:rollin Like he was what the Spurs were looking for in a SF and their saviour they wanted for a while at that position. Some took it way too far, if he was that good NY keeps him, period.

HarlemHo 37
03-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Lol, Brewer's on the two year plan. RJ struggled mightily his first year with the Spurs. Now somehow after a couple of games and sporadic playing time and still trying to find his way within the Mavs system, he's no good? Nobody said he was a perennial all-star, but next year, he is going to make a solid impact on the defensive end. IMO, he was a solid pickup. TBH, During the playoff stretch, he isn't going to see major minutes until he atleast has some practices under his belt.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Lol, Brewer's on the two year plan. RJ struggled mightily his first year with the Spurs. Now somehow after a couple of games and sporadic playing time and still trying to find his way within the Mavs system, he's no good? Nobody said he was a perennial all-star, but next year, he is going to make a solid impact on the defensive end. IMO, he was a solid pickup. TBH, During the playoff stretch, he isn't going to see major minutes until he atleast has some practices under his belt.

Yes, but he has never been near the caliber player RJ has been in the NBA by any means! Not even on a shitty team he was not! He is not nearly as talented, but better on D yes and thats about it.

HarlemHo 37
03-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Yes, but he has never been near the caliber player RJ has been in the NBA by any means! Not even on a shitty team he was not! He is not nearly as talented, but better on D yes and thats about it.

Yes, but he's capable of putting up RJ's offensive output as a Spur and then some. But, the Mavs got him for his defense and they can still mold him into a better offensive player. He only just turned 25, TBH.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Yes, but he's capable of putting up RJ's offensive output as a Spur and then some. But, the Mavs got him for his defense and they can still mold him into a better offensive player. He only just turned 25, TBH.

I know that bruh, but does he have the abilities RJ had at that age or even around 29 or so? He just does not show the skills RJ had as a player IMO! I know that was a good pickup and will pay off for them (I HOPE THEY DIE TOO LOL), but is he seriously gonna get better on O? If is what happens to Butler? What happens to Marion? I am just wondering still why they wanted him? Oh wait we did so they had to have him lol. I hope they fail miserably and always will hope that, f that team and him lol. If he is there fail lol.

HarlemHo 37
03-21-2011, 12:27 AM
I know that bruh, but does he have the abilities RJ had at that age or even around 29 or so? He just does not show the skills RJ had as a player IMO! I know that was a good pickup and will pay off for them (I HOPE THEY DIE TOO LOL), but is he seriously gonna get better on O? If is what happens to Butler? What happens to Marion? I am just wondering still why they wanted him? Oh wait we did so they had to have him lol. I hope they fail miserably and always will hope that, f that team and him lol. If he is there fail lol.

At age 29, he had his worst offensive output of his career TBH. Brewer actually put up better numbers last year. He's struggled for the better part of the year on offense, but he's capable of a lot more. IMO, I think he will eventually replace Butler. Butler's contract is expiring and they'll probably let him walk or try to sign him cheap. Marion will come off the bench where he is better utilized IMO. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons for wanting him TBH, but mainly to keep him away from signing with the Spurs and because he's young and athletic with a lot of upside.

Sean Cagney
03-21-2011, 12:31 AM
At age 29, he had his worst offensive output of his career TBH. Brewer actually put up better numbers last year. He's struggled for the better part of the year on offense, but he's capable of a lot more. IMO, I think he will eventually replace Butler. Butler's contract is expiring and they'll probably let him walk or try to sign him cheap. Marion will come off the bench where he is better utilized IMO. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons for wanting him TBH, but mainly to keep him away from signing with the Spurs and because he's young and athletic with a lot of upside.

GOOD BECAUSE BUTLER IS ALOT better IMO spite his age, he can take over there at the 3 and I will not be sad about it! Kidd will be old and retire and they can have Corey at the three while Anderson gets better here and Splitter! They have upside too like Corey does. Sorry I want them to fail bruh, I hate that team and hope they never win a thing! Corey does not have the skillset RJ had nor never will IMO! RJ has had a few years where he was great, not now here with the big three but in NJ AND MILL!

dbestpro
03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Spurs front office are pretty crafty. May have pretended to be interested in Brewer just to get Cuban to over pay as he thinks he stopped the Spurs from getting the guy.

Check and checkmate.

Greg Oden
03-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Duncan is better defensively (possibly a lot better) than Howard

wouldn't trade Manu for Melo

Spurs FO duped the Mavs into signing Brewer/Cuban signing Brewer to keep him away from SA

spurfans are great.

SenorSpur
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM

What made this decision especially more puzzling is that once the Mavs top defender, Marion, went down and never returned, the Mavs needed someone - anyone - who they could try and throw at Manu and Tony. Yet Brewer never saw any action.