PDA

View Full Version : Messina to spend some time with the Spurs

objective
03-21-2011, 01:22 AM
didn't see this posted, no results from a search

from an 3-18-11 article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/03/18/playoff.matchups/1.html) about Messina possibly accepting an NBA assistant coaching job next season:

Messina plans to accept an invitation from San Antonio to spend eight days with the Spurs -- and his former star at Bologna, Manu Ginobili -- later this month.

"I'm really excited to see a couple of practices, some games, watch some films with the team, and of course to see Manu," Messina said. "I've never had the opportunity to see Manu during the season."

SenorSpur
03-21-2011, 02:15 AM
For a minute there, I thought they were referring to Kenny Loggins' old songwriting partner and the other half of the duo Loggins and Messina.

temujin
03-21-2011, 06:26 AM
This says a lot about Messina, and about the Spurs.

For Messina, there are at least 20 coaches in the NBA I would NOT give a job to, ahead of Messina, including in elite teams (Spoeltra and van Gundy for example). Yet he thinks he should learn to become an NBA coach as an assistant first. And he would accept a big pay cut to learn.

For the Spurs, because to have an assistant like Messina would be an incredible luxury.

At any rate, I can easily see Manu's opinion behind this trip.

Kamala
03-21-2011, 06:39 AM
For a minute there, I thought they were referring to Kenny Loggins' old songwriting partner and the other half of the duo Loggins and Messina.

Hehe me too

Hemotivo
03-21-2011, 07:09 AM
:wow

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-21-2011, 07:12 AM
I doubt it'd happen, but Messina coming as an assistant next year would be absolutely fantastic news for the Spurs, he's an excellent coach and like temujin said, him willing to start from an assistant speaks volumes about how much of the Pop mantra and philosophy he's got in him. He's got over himself.

ElNono
03-21-2011, 07:33 AM
first he need learn speaky english

His English is excellent, AFAIK.

I like the fact that he has a defensive mindset and that he's a big believer in the process to get to a result, as opposed to just obtaining results. You can easily see why the Spurs like him.

Hopefully he decides to stick around.

Solid D
03-21-2011, 07:57 AM
I was reported earlier that Ettore was offered/going to be offered a job as a assistant coach with the NJ Nets for 2011-12 season.

admiralsnackbar
03-21-2011, 08:13 AM
jMTI8vg7A5U

Bruno
03-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Spurs have hired as European coach someone who has worked for years with Messina, they surely appreciate what Messina has done in Europe.

And lets not fool ourselves: Messina spending a week with Spurs will have basically zero impact. What is interesting is that Spurs staff, and especially Pop, are still humble enough to make this kind of moves. With all their success they could have taken the road "we don't need anyone advice" and it would have been a mistake.

temujin
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I was reported earlier that Ettore was offered/going to be offered a job as a assistant coach with the NJ Nets for 2011-12 season.

I'd be very surprised if he accepts: if you want to learn, go to the best.
He could accept the Knicks though, and leave Dantoni pretending to be the actual coach.

objective
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I hope Messina can talk Pop into setting Splitter free.

"Heyya, Poppo. Why a you no play the Splitter, ah? You a been playeen this a Bonner, he a no good, not like a the Splitter, yes?"

Mal
03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Waiting for KBP opinion on him

Obstructed_View
03-21-2011, 12:15 PM

"Heyya, Poppo. Why a you no play the Splitter, ah? You a been playeen this a Bonner, he a no good, not like a the Splitter, yes?"

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_les08rXI3p1qb8g5l.gif

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Spurs have hired as European coach someone who has worked for years with Messina, they surely appreciate what Messina has done in Europe.

And lets not fool ourselves: Messina spending a week with Spurs will have basically zero impact. What is interesting is that Spurs staff, and especially Pop, are still humble enough to make this kind of moves. With all their success they could have taken the road "we don't need anyone advice" and it would have been a mistake.

Perhaps he becomes head coach in waiting for after Pop retires...

rayray2k8
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM

:lol

duncan228
03-21-2011, 01:58 PM
48MoH's take on it.

Ettore Messina to visit Spurs (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

According to Ian Thomsen of SI, one of the world’s great coaches, Ettore Messina, is set to visit the Spurs (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/03/18/playoff.matchups/1.html) later this month.

There are very few clubs that have the budget and ambition to help Messina fulfill his vision for how a team should be built. If he can’t find a promising offer to remain in Europe next year, he may be open to spending a season or two on an NBA bench, where he could learn a new perspective while also providing his team with different strategies. In the meantime, Messina plans to accept an invitation from San Antonio to spend eight days with the Spurs — and his former star at Bologna, Manu Ginobili — later this month.

“I’m really excited to see a couple of practices, some games, watch some films with the team, and of course to see Manu,” Messina said. “I’ve never had the opportunity to see Manu during the season.”

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/ettore-messina-gregg-popovich-spurs#more-13319)

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/ettore-messina-gregg-popovich-spurs

objective
03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
did Messina ever coach in Greece, or is he full of anti-Greek lies? :lol

tdunk21
03-21-2011, 04:08 PM

:lmao

LongtimeSpursFan
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Is Messina Italian?

Josepatches_
03-21-2011, 04:34 PM
His work wasn't great here in Madrid in the last year.He was a great disappointment to me.

I don't like how he manages the team.After all his moves the team is worse than the team we had when he came here.

And I don't like how he left the team in the half of a season acting like a child.

Josepatches_
03-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Is Messina Italian?

Yes

Libri
03-21-2011, 04:46 PM

:rollin

Anonymous Cowherd
03-21-2011, 04:52 PM

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6362583/POP-Y-U-NO-PLAY-SPLITTER.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Y-U-NO

MmP
03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
I think Messina has some sort of man-crush on Manu Ginobili, every time he can he compares any player to Manu. I wonder what's the deal.

SequSpur
03-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Lol...

FlAVaK
03-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Did not find another Spurs-Relation except Messina
was coaching RMC at the beginning of the month...

Enjoy!

zijh7EAAH6g

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-This-last-weekend-s-craziest-finish-happe;_ylt=ArBjdBId23HsMFoP986hKh68vLYF?urn=nba-336044)

ace3g
05-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Ettore Messina to be offered a coaching position with Spurs?

As you may recall, back in March, famed European coach Ettore Messina was able to visit with the San Antonio Spurs and spend eight days on the Spurs bench as an observer.

However, according to solobasket.it, Messina and the Spurs met at the Euroleague Final Four where Messina could be offered an assistant coaching job with San Antonio:

The trip to Texas, as we read about "Republic", is likely to be repeated at the beginning of next week after Messina met again with the leaders of the Spurs in Barcelona at the Euroleague Final Four.

The Italian coach has not ruled out a future in the NBA San Antonio and could offer him a job as an assistant to Popovich and then take over one or two years.

Though it is unlikely he would take over the coaching reigns for the Spurs seeing how another highly qualified coach has been sitting next to Gregg Popovich for years - Mike Budenholzer - Messina says if he were to come to the NBA it would strictly be as an assistant coach but doesn't rule out the possibility of becoming a head coach.

http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/may/ettore-messina-to-be-offered-a-coaching-position-with-spurs.html

objective
05-13-2011, 04:20 PM
I'd be thrilled if Messina were to replace Budenholzer.

Nothing against Budenholzer, but I don't like the notion that he is the designated 'Coach-in-Waiting' when he's never been out from under Pop's chickenwing, never left the nest. He should have to go out and experience being an assistant in a different system, different franchise, different environment instead of just being Pop's Pomona-Pitzer bulletin board.

But Budenholzer doesn't even want to leave the nest, he's already turned down interviewing with Houston. This guy is locked in without ever having to have spread his wings. Even Pop had different experiences before becoming a head coach, working under Egan then Brown then Nelson, he experienced different things.

Cherry
05-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Help us Ettore!

Vic Petro
05-13-2011, 09:05 PM
It can only help. He's a great coach.

Buddy Holly
05-13-2011, 09:20 PM
I can only assume he has a nickname of "Messi"?

Coach Messi.

Sounds like a great Pop replacement.

Solid D
05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
The Spurs could really use Messina. He's a guy Pop really respects. Someone Gregg could learn a few things from, too.

TheChillFactor
05-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Can we get him to bring Kenny Loggins as well?

http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/concerts/2699_con_Loggins_and_Messina_2.jpg

Solid D
05-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Can we get him to bring Kenny Loggins as well?

http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/concerts/2699_con_Loggins_and_Messina_2.jpg

The equivalent of someone in a Russian blog posting "Gregg Popovich?" Did he bring his cats?"

z0MG-8mYVgg

Mr Fundamental
05-14-2011, 09:06 AM
This is the best news i've heard so far.

Messina would be great for us. He is the best coach in Europe in my opinion.

Bruno
05-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure how Messina would work as an assistant coach while he had so much responsibilities in Europe. If he can deal with being the guy who hasn't the last word, I'm all for it.

Messina could do a lot of good for Spurs' defense. CSKA was one of the most disciplined team defensively I've ever seen. Messina could be to Spurs what Thibodeau has been to Celtics.

silverblackfan
05-14-2011, 11:17 AM
It would be great news if Messina accepted a assistant coach position for the Spurs. Pop would listen to him and he can add a new dimension to the Spurs defense. Fingers crossed.

TheChillFactor
05-14-2011, 11:45 AM
The equivalent of someone in a Russian blog posting "Gregg Popovich?" Did he bring his cats?"

z0MG-8mYVgg

LMAO. the real pop would have an orange tabby named "Bonnner".

wildbill2u
05-14-2011, 11:47 AM
This may just be part of the ongoing wooing of Euro players to the Spurs. A prominent European coach can give the FO and Pop insights into players and how to approach them and the proper care and handling.

Pop has been working to build relationships with Euro coaches for years. In a future rebuilding of the team we may need some more like Manu and Splitter.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Please be true.

TimmehC
05-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I want this to be true so bad.

BackHome
05-14-2011, 03:24 PM
We need a little ray of hope.......

Cessation
05-15-2011, 04:04 AM
First we got best big in europe, the europeleague mvp, the Golden God, Tiago Splinter.... Oh, oh, oh Teeeahgooo..Now we might get the best coach in europe too?! This is a dream come true!

DrSteffo
05-15-2011, 11:19 AM
This would be great.

joshdaboss
05-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Hopefully he can teach Tim to throw a little more accurately.

Budkin
05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
This was posted in the NBA forum. Rumor is that Messina is going to be an assistant to Mike Brown in LA. If true that really sucks:

http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/balonc.../article/2371/

Translated...

Four years later, fate will join Mike Brown and Ettore Messina on an ambitious and not without difficulties. Because the rumor has become news, and as I have known, Messina will accept the offer from the Lakers and will take the American adventure for the next season. The Italian coach, who had been tempted by the Nets and Spurs, will be responsible for straightening the ship angelina and be an important part in the decisions and moves that are going to do in the coming days. Movements of which is pending Pau Gasol himself, criticized after eliminating the Lakers at the hands of the Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki.

Rumors flew late afternoon from Los Angeles. The journalist Eric Pincus of HOOPSWORLD, echoed rumors that placed as assistant coach Ettore Messina of Mike Brown in Los Angeles Lakers. The former Cleveland coach Messina met since 2007, when he visited to check their training methods in the technical phase of Sicilian at CSKA Moscow. Apparently, Brown, a great lover of defensive play, was impressed by the methods of Ettore.

DJ Mbenga
05-25-2011, 02:50 PM
what can the people who know him tell lakers fan about him? all i know is he is the best coach in europe but dont know his philosophy style or other things

TimmehC
05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
what can the people who know him tell lakers fan about him? all i know is he is the best coach in europe but dont know his philosophy style or other things

His Euro teams were always among the best defensive clubs on the continent. Seems a little redundant to hire a defensive coach when you already have Brown, but what do I know?

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Well I don't know what she can add from a basketball standpoint but she's kind of hot in a trashy way.

http://img.gactv.com/GAC/2006/07/24/jodeemessina1_e.jpg

Cessation
05-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Spurs could use some defence. Hopefully we get less bonner ball.

temujin
05-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Good move by Brown to hire a head coach like Messina.

Bruno
05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Messina is a defensive minded coach. I've never seen him as a coach with a great offensive system. Messina could have the same role than Egan had with Brown in Cleveland.

Messina would be a good addition for the Lakers but they would need another top level assistant to draw better offensive scheme than what Brown or Messina can do.

Solid D
05-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, this is not good news for the Spurs. The Lakers have had a very good defensive coach in Jim Cleamons. What does this mean for him?

LakerHater
06-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Report: Lakers hire Ettore Messina

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YROdb5BU8Xk/TXSzLDbvV-I/AAAAAAAAARM/0J9OJ8kfjgU/s1600/messina2.jpgPosted by Royce Young

Legendary Euroleague coach Ettore Messina is finally making his way to the NBA. Via HoopsWorld, Messina will join Mike Brown's staff with the Lakers in a full-time consultant role.

If that doesn't make sense, just picture sort of what Tex Winter was on Phil Jackson's staff. Not exactly an assistant, but someone helping make decisions and get things figured out.

Messina has twice been named Euroleague Coach of the Year -- in 2006 and 2008 with CSKA Moscow -- and earned a similar honor in the Italian League six times.

He started with the Italian team Virtus Bologna, coaching from 1989-2002 and winning the Euroleague title in 1998 and 2001 while also making it to the title game in 1999 and 2002. He then replaced Mike D'Antoni, who was leaving to be an assistant with the Phoenix Suns, as the head coach of Benetton Treviso of the Italian League. He led Benetton to the title game in 2003. Next, he left Italy to take the reins of CSKA Moscow, winning titles in 2006 and 2008. Most recently he was the head coach of Spanish League team Real Madrid during the 2009-10 season.

He's long been considered for a position in the NBA, but his lack of experience in the NBA always had a question mark by his name. Clearly he's ready to at least start trying to make a way in the NBA. He was a finalist for the Toronto Raptors position but the team went with Jay Triano.

Messina is an offensive-minded coach that will likely become Brown's go-to guy in that department. It's very like recently fired Detroit coach John Kuester will be the team's "offensive coordinator" but Messina's focus will also be on that end. Other names linked to the Lakers staff are Chuck Person, Tim Grgurich and Mike Malone.

ploto
06-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Messina is an offensive-minded coach that will likely become Brown's go-to guy in that department. It's very like recently fired Detroit coach John Kuester will be the team's "offensive coordinator" but Messina's focus will also be on that end.

Really??

elemento
06-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Isn't Messina a defensive-minded coach ?

tdunk21
06-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Ftl

Ice009
06-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Are you shitting me?????? The Lakers get him.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Isn't Messina a defensive-minded coach ?

Yea, but compared to Mike Brown he's offensive-minded :lol

Cherry
06-09-2011, 11:06 AM
FML :huh