PDA

View Full Version : Shaq offers to pay for Mikans funeral...

adidas11
06-03-2005, 10:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2074799

Big Pimp_21
06-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Classy move...i still don't like him, though.

nkdlunch
06-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Hope they don't make a big deal about it. Shaq paying for a funeral is equivalent to me giving 50 cents to a homeless.

Sec24Row7
06-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Oh please.

Shut up.

Bill Gates Giving 1 billion is nothing... yadda yadda.

Stop hating.

The fact remains he offered and will give the money.

I dont care who you are, 50 cents is still 50 cents and several thousand dollars is still several thousand dollars.

CosmicCowboy
this was already covered in another thread.

My take on it? On the surface it was a nice offer but doing it through the national media like he did it was blatantly self serving. Mikans plight has been well documented within the sports world for years. If Shaq really gave a shit about Mikan he had plenty of time to help him out when he really needed it...while he was still alive and having to liquidate all his NBA memorabilia etc. just to pay medical bills and put food on the table. Good people do good things quietly and because they want to do them...they don't do them just to get good press.

ObiwanGinobili
What would be even better is if Shaq and every other past and present player make it there priority in the current contract negotions to make some provisions for the 60 or pre-65 players still alive.
That way more of them won't have to sell off their NBA memorablia and houses to be able ot afford medical treatment that isn;t even the best but just what they can get.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-03-2005, 10:28 AM

My take on it? On the surface it was a nice offer but doing it through the national media like he did it was blatantly self serving. Mikans plight has been well documented within the sports world for years. If Shaq really gave a shit about Mikan he had plenty of time to help him out when he really needed it...while he was still alive and having to liquidate all his NBA memorabilia etc. just to pay medical bills and put food on the table. Good people do good things quietly and because they want to do them...they don't do them just to get good press.

Amen brother.

Solid D
06-03-2005, 10:28 AM
It was a nice gesture on the part of Shaq and because the news came of Mikan's death the same day, I'm sure Shaq had not had time to get with his people to offer this to Mikan's family....with that said, Shaq and other NBA'ers/former NBA'ers should be well aware of George Mikan's on-going diabetes treatment expenses. These have been well-chronicled by ESPN and others in the pension/medical benefits issues and the need for this to be addressed by the NBA and the Players Association.

George's death may cause a much-needed reaction from both entities, but it's a shame it had to come to this - "Mr. Basketball's" death - before something is set aside.

We don't know if Shaq helped to pay for any of the Mikan's mounting medical bills, but if he didn't, then Shaq offering to pay for George's funeral on national TV is nice but perhaps too little, too late.

spurschick
06-03-2005, 10:33 AM
What would be even better is if Shaq and every other past and present player make it there priority in the current contract negotions to make some provisions for the 60 or pre-65 players still alive.
That way more of them won't have to sell off their NBA memorablia and houses to be able ot afford medical treatment that isn;t even the best but just what they can get.

:tu :tu :tu

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Amen. I watched that Outside the Line special and both the NBA and the Players Union won't do crap. The players should. From what Mikan said there were only about 100 of the pre-1965 players left...it wouldn't cost that much for the players to pitch in.

TheAdmiral#50
06-03-2005, 11:32 AM
At least he acknowledge he past away.

Unlike for Chick Hearn's funeral. He didn't even show up. Made some sorry excuse he had a stomach ache and couldn't fly in.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 11:40 AM
I agree with Cosmic Cowboy, all Shaq is after is the press.

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM

Maybe the best reply I have ever read.

King
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
You guys will look for any reason to hate on Shaq. So it was done with the knowledge of the press. So what? He's still taking on the financial burden of the family, who is struggling from what I understand. Whether or not it's in the news, he's still helping out a family in need. The press can, and will, get a hold of any news. There's absolutely no way that would've been kept under wraps.

Dennis Rodman offered to (and did pay, I believe) for the funeral of James Byrd, the handicapped guy who was dragged to his death somewhere in Texas. That was all over the news, but it was still a damn nice thing to do.

Even if it is relative to you give 50 cents to a homeless person, or an occassional dollar to charity, how many of you do that? I'm sure you'll all step up and say "well, I give this, and I do that" but I'd also venture a guess that so many of you are full of shit.

If Tim Duncan funded Iceman's funeral, it would be all over the news here, and you guys would be calling Tim Duncan a saint, and you know that.

It's different because you hate Shaq, and it just blows my mind that you'll dissect this nice gesture so far that you turn him into a self-serving prick.

Please explain to me the difference in the Spurs donating that huge check to the Carver Academy, and this. News was all over the story about that check, and everyone talked about it. Or how is it different than David taking his own money to open up that school? That's been locally and nationally covered ad nauseum.

If the Spurs were really a bunch of good guys, they would've sent that check anonymously, right?

If David were really such a good guy, he would've opened that school anonymously, right?

It's really not such a bad thing to acknowledge that Shaq did a damn nice thing, that he really didn't have to do. Magic didn't step up. Kobe didn't. Kareem didn't. Jerry West didn't. Shaq did, and he's the bad guy.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Um...here is my above post.

Amen. I watched that Outside the Line special and both the NBA and the Players Union won't do crap. The players should. From what Mikan said there were only about 100 of the pre-1965 players left...it wouldn't cost that much for the players to pitch in.

Please tell me where I said I hate Shaq.

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 12:13 PM
You guys will look for any reason to hate on Shaq. So it was done with the knowledge of the press. So what? He's still taking on the financial burden of the family, who is struggling from what I understand. Whether or not it's in the news, he's still helping out a family in need. The press can, and will, get a hold of any news. There's absolutely no way that would've been kept under wraps.

Dennis Rodman offered to (and did pay, I believe) for the funeral of James Byrd, the handicapped guy who was dragged to his death somewhere in Texas. That was all over the news, but it was still a damn nice thing to do.

Even if it is relative to you give 50 cents to a homeless person, or an occassional dollar to charity, how many of you do that? I'm sure you'll all step up and say "well, I give this, and I do that" but I'd also venture a guess that so many of you are full of shit.

If Tim Duncan funded Iceman's funeral, it would be all over the news here, and you guys would be calling Tim Duncan a saint, and you know that.

It's different because you hate Shaq, and it just blows my mind that you'll dissect this nice gesture so far that you turn him into a self-serving prick.

Please explain to me the difference in the Spurs donating that huge check to the Carver Academy, and this. News was all over the story about that check, and everyone talked about it. Or how is it different than David taking his own money to open up that school? That's been locally and nationally covered ad nauseum.

If the Spurs were really a bunch of good guys, they would've sent that check anonymously, right?

If David were really such a good guy, he would've opened that school anonymously, right?

It's really not such a bad thing to acknowledge that Shaq did a damn nice thing, that he really didn't have to do. Magic didn't step up. Kobe didn't. Kareem didn't. Jerry West didn't. Shaq did, and he's the bad guy.
it's not hate, because it's not all together a bad thing what he did. It's actually very good, but it's just an example of snaq's weakness of character. When doing a good deed he want's to make sure it doesn't go unnoticed. The only reason we know of very few of David's good deeds is because the media publicized them, not David. I don't think anyone is hating on snaq though. I still think it's honorable for him to pick up the tab.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 12:17 PM
I think its a great thing he did, regardless of whether or not he said it publicly or not. If he did do it for just for the publicity (which NONE of us know accurately) then it would be shitty but still, a good thing would come out of it.

CosmicCowboy
I'm sure you'll all step up and say "well, I give this, and I do that" but I'd also venture a guess that so many of you are full of shit.

I donate hundreds of hours a year and thousands of dollars in goods/services/money to charitable causes and feel totally qualified to state my opinion without it being misconstrued as shaq hate.

you can kiss my ass.

Kori Ellis
Who cares if he did it publicly instead of privately!? Who else stepped up in the NBA and made the offer? There's 300+ players in the league -- so why didn't someone else offer? Why didn't David Robinson or another retired player offer?

They didn't and Shaq did.

Doing it public brings more attention to it and maybe will get other younger players to step up and make sure that some of the other older players from their organizations are taken care of.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 12:18 PM
exactly. Hopefully TD and others will follow his example and get together and fix this.

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 12:20 PM

First, did the Media "find out" that Shaq offered to pay for funeral expenses? Or did Shaq announce it?

In any case, here is the difference: The Carver Academy, and other charities the Spurs give to, need the publicity of those check ceremonies. I mean, yes, the Spurs benefit from the exposure, but it's a two way street. It helps both organizations.

Now, you could argue that Shaq gave the money to highlight Mikan's death. But as it's been mentioned, it sounds like Mikan has been struggling for awhile. Without knowing more, I'm not going to draw judgement, because for all we know Shaq could have been privately helping Mikan's family before this.

King
06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I donate hundreds of hours a year and thousands of dollars in goods/services/money to charitable causes and feel totally qualified to state my opinoin without it being misconstrued as shaq hate.

you can kiss my ass.

Wait a minute, you're not flaunting it, are you? Cause, the fact that you're publicizing it could be misconstrued as somewhat self-serving.

Dude, I'm not singling out who does what, or who doesn't do what. If you do, good for you. It just blows my mind that people will try to tear down a gesture like this, instead of just taking it for what it is. A damn nice thing.

You're free to give your opinion on the situation, and I'm free to give mine. From the looks of things, we're both doing that, no?

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Who cares if he did it publicly instead of privately!? Who else stepped up in the NBA and made the offer? There's 300+ players in the league -- so why didn't someone else offer? Why didn't David Robinson or another retired player offer?

They didn't and Shaq did.

Doing it public brings more attention to it and maybe will get other younger players to step up and make sure that some of the other older players from their organizations are taken care of. Doing it privately is more honorable because you receive nothing in return for your good deed. Nevertheless, I'm happy he offered to do something.

Who else stepped up in the NBA and made the offer I hope others have made private donations.

There's 300+ players in the league -- so why didn't someone else offer? Why didn't David Robinson or another retired player offer? How do you know someone else didn't offer?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Seriously Kori, if you believe he did this just because he wanted to help, where was he when Mikan was in real need, and very much alive? I think Shaq is just taking advantage of the situation. Mikan was a popular guy and funding his funeral can only do wonders for his image. Remember the guy that offered to pay for Van Gundy's 100,000 dollar fine??? THIS IS THE SAME SHIT! Don't tell me you really believe the guy just offered out of the kindness of his heart?

adidas11
06-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Manumania, you do know that Shaq and Mikan were friends, right? And I seriously doubt that Mikan would have wanted a handout from a friend, as most proud men would deny such a request.

ducks
06-03-2005, 12:33 PM
why does he have to make it public knowledge?

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Magic didn't step up. Kobe didn't. Kareem didn't. Jerry West didn't. Shaq did, and he's the bad guy

How do you know Magic, Kobe, Kareem, or Jerry West didn't?

adidas11
06-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Quote: ""It just speaks to what Shaquille is all about," Mikan's son said. "He had a bond with my dad. They were close friends.""

Ow3ned.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Manumania, you do know that Shaq and Mikan were friends, right? And I seriously doubt that Mikan would have wanted a handout from a friend, as most proud men would deny such a request.
Most proud men would put their family through bankruptsy before accepting money from a FRIEND??? I'm sorry, thats not PRIDE, thats FOOLISHNESS.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't get why you all are outraged that it was in public. It being public is good -- it brings attention to the problem.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Quote: ""It just speaks to what Shaquille is all about," Mikan's son said. "He had a bond with my dad. They were close friends.""

Ow3ned.
OWNED?? WHATS THE SON GONNA SAY?? "SHAQ IS JUST DOING THIS BECAUSE HE WANTS THE PUBLICITY!"?? GIVE ME A BREAK! You haven't owned anybody in a long while son, give it a rest.

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
I don't get why you all are outraged that it was in public. It being public is good -- it brings attention to the problem.
what problem, he's dead?

samikeyp
Im not outraged. I liked the gesture. I hope it wasn't just for attention but even if it was, so what? It still helps out a special man and his family. I don't believe that you should do things like that for the sole purpose of making yourself look good. (and again, I am not accusing Shaq of doing that) Bottom line is...Mikan's family is getting some help that it needs, and that at least to me, is all that matters.

Mark in Austin

Well then Shaq could have used his position as one of the most famous sports figures in the world as a bully pulpit to publicize the need for some sort of pension fund for all players in Mikan's situation. If the most popular player and most popular team (labor+management) got together and said this was a priority, it would have been taken care of. He didn't. And nobody else did either.

Shame on the NBA. Shame on the players union. Shame on the Lakers.

Flea
06-03-2005, 12:43 PM

I'm not saying he should have been anonymous about it but he didn't have to announce it to everyone in response to a basketball question from Gray. It would have been more sincere and not self serving had he kept his mouth shut and just written the check. The media would have found out and reported it to everyone. No one said it had to be anonymous, just don't go tooting your own horn.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 12:44 PM
what problem, he's dead?

You don't understand the problems behind why he didn't have money???

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Im not outraged. I liked the gesture. I hope it wasn't just for attention but even if it was, so what? It still helps out a special man and his family. I don't believe that you should do things like that for the sole purpose of making yourself look good. (and again, I am not accusing Shaq of doing that) Bottom line is...Mikan's family is getting some help that it needs, and that at least to me, is all that matters.
I agree. What's more important is that people donate money and time to worthy causes, if their primary motivation is to be appreciated for what a wonderful person they are then so beit.

Flea
06-03-2005, 12:48 PM

I'm not outraged I just think it shows that Shaq lacks class. Saying that, I am happy that he made a donation and I hope others follow suit in order to take care of those few basketball players that need help.

ducks
06-03-2005, 12:48 PM
how much money does he need to buring the dude
a funeral should only cost $10,000.00

with shaq gettign 2 max contracts he should give some up
kg is the only person that gets close to what shaq is making for playing nba games

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Bottomline is if Tim Duncan mentioned in an interview that he was going to pay for it and brought attention to the problem of these older players not being taken care of, then no Spurs fan would be saying that he did it for attention and the such.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Some of y'all just hopelessly hate.

Charles Barkley basically called out himself and every other current and former player on the broadcast, saying they needed to take care of the "over 65ers" who weren't pulling the same pension from the league that the younger guys get.

Shaq stepped up. Who cares if he dit it publically or privately, perhaps he wants to make light of the Mikan situation in hopes that the league will take care of its founding fathers.

Some of you are entirely too cynical about this. Appreciate it as a great gesture by a great player.

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 12:51 PM

I think that's the problem some people have with this, Kori.

If Shaq cared so much about Mikan's plight, that he wanted to bring attention to the problems, why not do this earlier, when it would have made a difference?

I'm not saying Shaq didn't help Mikan in the past, I'm just saying, if publicity is good, why not say something before he died?

Unless the family didn't want him to. That's why we need more facts. This is all speculation. But i can see why it rubs some people the wrong way.

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Shaq surely didn't help bring attention to the problems of which you speak. You're probably trying to give him the benefit of the doubt which is cool.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 12:52 PM
It's like me donating 500 bucks to a charity, and then coming to this forum to brag. The deed was a good one, but it turns out I did it for selfish reasons. Same concept here. Ofcourse, everything that has been posted here is assumptions. Nobody knows why Shaq did what he did, everyone is just speculating. I'm just stating my opinion.

ducks
06-03-2005, 12:53 PM
how much did he make playing ball?
how much were his bills?
did he spend his money foolishly and now people are bailing his family out?

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Bottomline is if Tim Duncan mentioned in an interview that he was going to pay for it and brought attention to the problem of these older players not being taken care of, then no Spurs fan would be saying that he did it for attention and the such.

True. But if Shaq said this, I wouldn't be saying it was for the attention, either.

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 12:54 PM
how much did he make playing ball?
how much were his bills?
did he spend his money foolishly and now people are bailing his family out?

well, I think the point is these players were making A LOT less than players do now.

And the players now owe their predecessors something, IMO.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I just think it shows that Shaq lacks class.

Unfuckingreal. How can you say that? The Spurs are considered the classiest team in the league, I didn't see Tim, Manu, DRob, or anyone else lining up to help Mikan.

Just because you've never heard about it before doesn't mean that Shaq hadn't helped Mikan in the past.

Fuck, if any Spur did this, everyone here would be creaming themselves over what "class" was being shown. Hell if Malik did it some of you would be ready to rename San Antonio after him for doing something like this.

Quit being hypocrits. The funeral situation facing the Mikan family was a dire one, Shaq stepped up. Hate Shaq in competition all you want, but appreciate him for doing something great off the court and get on with your lives.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 12:55 PM

Very true. That is why I feel that Shaq should be given the benefit of the doubt.

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Bottomline is if Tim Duncan mentioned in an interview that he was going to pay for it and brought attention to the problem of these older players not being taken care of, then no Spurs fan would be saying that he did it for attention and the such. Maybe Tim has cotributed, who knows? If Shaq alterior motive was to bring attention to the fact that older players aren't being taken care of then great, I was wrong about him.

I didn't see Tim, Manu, DRob, or anyone else lining up to help Mikan.

How do you know that?

Just because you've never heard about it before doesn't mean that Shaq hadn't helped Mikan in the past.
Doesn't this contradict your statement above?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
ducks,

My dad has diabetes. It ain't a cheap thing to deal with.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 12:58 PM

As do I. I have type 2, I think Mikan had type 1 which is more severe. Even with type 2 and insurance, it can get expensive. I saw that and my heart almost stopped. It has given me major incentive to finally get my health straight.

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 12:59 PM
ducks,

Exactly. And somehow I doubt the NBA provides insurance for retired players.

jalbre6
06-03-2005, 12:59 PM
You guys can Monday Morning Quarterback all you want, but the Mikan family needs the help, and The Big Philantrophist offered it.

There's no need to read into this matter further. We should be applauding Shaq for stepping up rather than questioning his motives.

ducks
06-03-2005, 01:02 PM
I know it is not cheap
I just asked how much did he make?
I know he did not make what the nba players make now

I have heard of some rich people having to gone broke
they did not spend their money wisely.

the guy should have had life insurance also. WHO KNOWS IF HE DID. Yes it was nice that Shaq did. But I do not think other nba players should expect something like that.

would you guys want shaq helping rodman out with his money problems?

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Shaq should be given the benefit of the doubt.
You're right, we should stop being so cynical of people maybe he does have some grand scheme to help guys like Mikan. Since I'm sure Shaq is reading this I apologize for thinking wrong of him.

MaNuMaNiAc
Unfuckingreal. How can you say that? The Spurs are considered the classiest team in the league, I didn't see Tim, Manu, DRob, or anyone else lining up to help Mikan.

Fuck, if any Spur did this, everyone here would be creaming themselves over what "class" was being shown. Hell if Malik did it some of you would be ready to rename San Antonio after him for doing something like this.

Quit being hypocrits. The funeral situation facing the Mikan family was a dire one, Shaq stepped up. Hate Shaq in competition all you want, but appreciate him for doing something great off the court and get on with your lives.
You keep creating hypothetical scenarios that DON'T PROVE SHIT!!! THE POINT IS YOU DON'T KNOW IF SHAQ DID HELP MIKAN IN THE PAST, AND YET YOU'RE WILLING TO ASSUME HE DID. ME, I'M SKEPTICAL ABOUT SHAQ'S INTENTIONS JUST AS I WOULD BE SKEPTICAL ABOUT TIMS IF HE DID THE SAME THING THE SAME WAY. I think Shaq is a crafty SOB and I wouldn't put it past him to do this for press, you on the other hand seem to think he's a saint.

ducks
Exactly. And somehow I doubt the NBA provides insurance for retired players.

somehow I imagine alot of other people other then nba players have to buy insurance
:spin

ducks
06-03-2005, 01:05 PM
if shaq is such a saint why after game 4 did he not talk to the press?

well according to the espn she said that shaq told her he did not want to say something that he would be sorry for?

otherwise he could not talk to the press because he could not control himself

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 01:05 PM
I never said he was a saint. Just that he did a great thing here to help out the Mikan family and all the skeptics on this thread need to just shut up and appreciate the gesture.

would you guys want shaq helping rodman out with his money problems?

There's a difference between a guy (Mikan) and his family going broke due to dealing with kidney and diabetes related health problems and a guy blowing it all on hookers and drugs (Rodman).

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 01:09 PM
You keep creating hypothetical scenarios that DON'T PROVE SHIT!!! THE POINT IS YOU DON'T KNOW IF SHAQ DID HELP MIKAN IN THE PAST, AND YET YOU'RE WILLING TO ASSUME HE DID. ME, I'M SKEPTICAL ABOUT SHAQ'S INTENTIONS JUST AS I WOULD BE SKEPTICAL ABOUT TIMS IF HE DID THE SAME THING THE SAME WAY. I think Shaq is a crafty SOB and I wouldn't put it past him to do this for press, you on the other hand seem to think he's a saint.
I've come full circle on this one. I think the point is the greater good far outweighs anything else. We should encourage people to donate, no matter what their motives are, so criticizing people when they do donate doesn't encourage future donations. Even if the scum of the earth (which shaq is not) wanted to do something good, we should just except the jesture without judgement.

I'm not judgemental so please forgive my previous post guys.

Flea
06-03-2005, 01:10 PM

If ANY basketball player responded the way Shaq did I would say they lacked class. Jim Gray asked him a question about the game and Shaq responded by saying, "Blah, blah, blah I'm letting the world know I'm paying for Makin's funeral."

I sat there for a second and thought....WTF???? WHAT does that have to do with the question Gray asked and why announce it to the world unless you are a media hound and want attention. Had he done it in a personal interview and said he wanted to bring attention to the plight of the families that would have been a different story. It was the way it was done and IT LACKED CLASS!

dcole50
06-03-2005, 01:11 PM
i don't see how people can criticize shaq for this. public or private, it was a nice gesture that took some of the financial burden off of mikan's family.

like aggie, i'm not calling him a saint, but i am glad that he did something charitable to help the mikan family.

jalbre6
06-03-2005, 01:12 PM
If ANY basketball player responded the way Shaq did I would say they lacked class. Jim Gray asked him a question about the game and Shaq responded by saying, "Blah, blah, blah I'm letting the world know I'm paying for Makin's funeral."

I sat there for a second and thought....WTF???? WHAT does that have to do with the question Gray asked and why announce it to the world unless you are a media hound and want attention. Had he done it in a personal interview and said he wanted to bring attention to the plight of the families that would have been a different story. It was the way it was done and IT LACKED CLASS!

I think class is irrelevant. Shaq could be doing this for a tax writeoff for all I know and it's still a helluva kindness that he's under no obligation to be doing.

Solid D
06-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I already said what I think about the issue, but in response to ducks...the money George Mikan made when he played as the top player in the 1940s-50s was paltry compared with today's standards, or for even regular, everyday people like you and me. His contract for $60,000 over 5 years, 1947-52, was during the heart of his career and was the top contract in that small league at the time. Divide 60,000 by 5 and see what you come up with.

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I already said what I think about the issue, but in response to ducks...the money George Mikan made when he played as the top player in the 1940s-50s was paltry compared with today's standards, or for even regular, everyday people like you and me. His contract for $60,000 over 5 years, 1947-52, was during the heart of his career and was the top contract in that small league at the time. Divide 60,000 by 5 and see what you come up with. That's about $123,000 per year adjusted for inflation. Compare that to the league minimum of $1.2mm or so and that aint squat especially for such a short period of time.

picnroll
06-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Emotional time for Mikan's family obviously. I wonder if Shaq asked Mikan's family if they wanted him to make a public announcement that he'd pay for their father/husband's funeral whether they accepted or not.

jcrod
06-03-2005, 01:35 PM

agree

If I remember correctly, Rodman didn't go announce it. If he would've done it and it leaked out, I would be thinking tons differently.

You don't know, so who are you to say if we do or don't.

I truly doubt that Tim would announce it as he is being intreviewed, same for David R. They're not that type of people.

There is a difference, David doesn't really announce it in the press unless he's asked about it. He doesn't harp about it, he's doing it because he truly believes in what he does. How do you open a school anonymously?????????? He needed help with funding, besides putting up $11+ million of his own money. Tell me of another player putting that kind of dough up.

If he truly wanted to help out, he would of just sent a check, or found out where they planned to do the funneral and payed. Not by this, this speaks volumes to me.

O'Neal said Thursday that he wants the Mikan family to contact the Miami Heat offices, so arrangements can be made for him to handle funeral expenses for the league's first dominant big man.

Do you really think they're going to call, come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 01:35 PM
That's about $123,000 per year adjusted for inflation. Compare that to the league minimum of $1.2mm or so and that aint squat especially for such a short period of time.
What times are we living in when 123,000 a year is not enough to secure a living. My parents made close to 95,000 a year for most of my dad's career, and they managed to save up enough to live confortably for the rest of their lives.

jcrod
06-03-2005, 01:39 PM

Bottomline is neither Tim nor David would mention it in an interview unless asked if they were doing it. You of all people should know this.

ducks
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
thanks solid d
I did not have the time to see what he got paid

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
O'Neal said Thursday that he wants the Mikan family to contact the Miami Heat offices, so arrangements can be made for him to handle funeral expenses for the league's first dominant big man.

He wants the family to contact the Miami Heat offices???? I thought he was a good friend of the family!!!!??? Give me a break!

picnroll
06-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Sorry totally inappropriate on Shaq's part. Funerals are emotional and private times not times to be generating a media circus unless the deceased family choses so for whatever reasons. Shaq should have had Heat officials make the offer to Mikan's family and the family decide if they wanted to accept the offer and if they wanted to, themselves, Shaq or the Heat organizaation make it public. Take your pick, Shaq is stupid, inappropriate, a publicity hound or all of the aforementioned.

MadDog73
06-03-2005, 01:49 PM
What times are we living in when 123,000 a year is not enough to secure a living. My parents made close to 95,000 a year for most of my dad's career, and they managed to save up enough to live confortably for the rest of their lives.

We don't know anything, guys. He also was undergoing kidney dialysis. Who knows if he had insurances, or could get it with his health problems.

$123,000 is eaten up pretty quick if you don't have insurance.

He did receive monthly pensions by the NBA: $1,700, and actually pressed the NBA to increase the tiny pensions of players who played before 1965.

He was also a lawyer, however, so I don't know how much he made doing that.

However, as I said, I think all these players who are making millions of dollars a year could afford to help the first basketball "superstar."

He really helped make the game popular: in 1949, Madison Square Garden marquee read: "Mikan vs. the Knicks"

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_OBIT_MIKAN?SITE=TXSAE&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

NBA great George Mikan dies at 80

By BOB BAUM
AP Sports Writer

PHOENIX (AP) -- George Mikan, the "gentle giant" who a half-century ago brought fame and stability to the fledgling world of professional basketball and literally transformed the game, has died 18 days shy of his 81st birthday.

Mikan died Wednesday night at a Scottsdale rehabilitation center following a long fight with diabetes and kidney ailments. His right leg was amputated below the knee in 2000, and he had undergone kidney dialysis treatment three times a week for five years, son Terry said.

A superstar decades before the term existed, Mikan was the first big man to dominate the sport. No one before had seen a 6-foot-10 player with his agility, competitiveness and skill.

When the Minneapolis Lakers came to New York in December 1949, the marquee at Madison Square Garden read "Geo. Mikan vs. the Knicks."

"He literally carried the league," Boston Celtics great Bob Cousy said. "He gave us recognition and acceptance when we were at the bottom of the totem pole in professional sports. He transcended the game. People came to see him as much as they came to see the game."

College basketball instituted the goaltending rule because of him, and the NBA doubled the width of the free throw lane. Slowdown tactics used against him - his 1950 Lakers lost 19-18 to the Fort Wayne Pistons in the lowest-scoring game in NBA history - eventually led to the 24-second shot clock.

"George Mikan truly revolutionized the game and was the NBA's first true superstar," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "He had the ability to be a fierce competitor on the court and a gentle giant off the court. We may never see one man impact the game of basketball as he did, and represent it with such warmth and grace."

Shaquille O'Neal, speaking after Miami's playoff victory over Detroit on Thursday night, said he wanted the Mikan family to contact the Heat so he could pay for the funeral.

"Without No. 99, there is no me," O'Neal said.

Terry Mikan said he appreciated O'Neal's offer but said it would be up to his mother whether to accept it.

"It just speaks to what Shaquille is all about," Terry Mikan said. "He had a bond with my dad. They were close friends."

A private memorial service is planned in Scottsdale on Monday night. At some unspecified date, a public ceremony will be held in Minneapolis, where Mikan's ashes will be interred, Terry Mikan said.

Ray Meyer, who was in his first year as DePaul coach when he began transforming Mikan into a basketball star, said that despite Mikan's longtime illnesses, he was shocked and saddened at the death of his lifelong friend.

"He had the most positive attitude you ever heard," the 91-year-old Meyer said. "Never once did he feel sorry for himself. He was a great basketball player, but I think he was a better human being. I loved the guy. I thought he was one of my family."

Mikan was moved last weekend from a Scottsdale hospital, where he had been for six weeks for treatment of a diabetic wound in his leg.

"He had a fierce determination to excel, which he exhibited in his athletic career and business career," Terry Mikan told The Associated Press on Thursday, "and that probably extended his life five years."

Mikan led the Minneapolis Lakers to five league titles in the first six years of the franchise's history. Nearsighted with thick glasses, he was as rough on the court as he was mild-mannered off it. Mikan led the league in personal fouls three times and had 10 broken bones during his playing career. He averaged 23.1 points in seven seasons with Minneapolis before retiring because of injuries in 1956. Mikan was the league's MVP in the 1948-49 season, when he averaged 28.3 points in leading the Lakers to the title.

"Ed McCauley was our center. Eddie was 6-9, but weighed about 185 pounds where George was probably 250," Cousy recalled. "When we'd walk down the street in a group, Eddie would brush against a pole or big tree and say `Excuse me George.' Even to someone close to his height, George seemed humongous."

A statue of Mikan taking his trademark hook shot was dedicated at the Target Center in Minneapolis in April 2001 at halftime of a Timberwolves-Lakers game.

"We were in hiatus a long time, the old-timers," Mikan said at the time. "They forgot about us. They don't go back to our NBA days."

Timberwolves star and 2004 MVP Kevin Garnett knew of Mikan, though.

"When I think about George Mikan, I skip all the Wilt Chamberlains and Kareem Abdul-Jabbars and I call him the 'The Original Big Man,'" Garnett said. "Without George Mikan, there would be no up-and-unders, no jump hooks, and there would be no label of the big man."

The Lakers moved to Los Angeles in 1960 and became one of the most successful franchises in professional sports.

"Frankly, without George Mikan, the Los Angeles Lakers would not be the organization we are today," Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss said.

Born June 18, 1924, in Joliet, Ill., Mikan didn't play high school basketball, but when he entered DePaul, Meyer, the young new coach, recognized the potential.

Meyer said he worked with Mikan for six weeks alone, making him shoot left-handed and right-handed, a procedure still known as the "George Mikan drill."

He had him punch a speed bag, take some dancing lessons to improve his grace and also jump rope.

Mikan was two-time college player of the year and led DePaul to the 1945 National Invitation Tournament title. He scored 53 points in the semifinals against Rhode Island, a phenomenal number in that era, and was named the tourney's MVP.

Mikan played one season with the Chicago Gears before moving to the new Lakers franchise.

"George was a giant among men in the early days of the NBA," said Celtics president Arnold "Red" Auerbach, who coached against him. "He was one of the greatest players of all time. He was the first player to really be an imposing and intimidating figure on the court."

Mikan coached the Lakers for part of the 1957-58 season, and was commissioner of the American Basketball Association in 1967, introducing the 3-point line and the distinctive red, white and blue ball.

He practiced law and, in his later years, began pressing the NBA and the players' union to boost the tiny pensions given to those who played in the league before 1965. Terry Mikan said most of his father's awards and memorabilia has been sold. Mikan received a monthly pension check of $1,700, his son said. Under current rules, his widow will get half that much.

Terry Mikan said one of his father's reasons for fighting so hard against his illnesses "was his hope that he would be alive when the collective bargaining agreement was reached and the decision had been finalized on the pre-65ers and their surviving families. He gave his heart and soul to that effort."

Mikan is survived by his wife of 58 years, Patricia; sons Larry, Terry, Patrick and Michael; daughters Trisha and Maureen, and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

"I've got one word that describes my dad, and that's kindness," Terry Mikan said. "Whenever he would make a toast at a family function, dad would ask us to raise our glass to kindness, and that's the type of man he was."

ducks
06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Sorry totally inappropriate on Shaq's part. Funerals are emotional and private times not times to be generating a media circus unless the deceased family choses so for whatever reasons. Shaq should have had Heat officials make the offer to Mikan's family and the family decide if they wanted to accept the offer and if they wanted to, themselves, Shaq or the Heat organizaation make it public. Take your pick, Shaq is stupid, inappropriate, a publicity hound or all of the aforementioned.

I agree shaq's agent should have called them and see if they would accept then make it public

pache100
06-03-2005, 01:57 PM
"...said he wanted the Mikan family to contact the Heat so he could pay for the funeral."

Well, that tells me right there why he made a public announcment. I wondered all along if he maybe did it because he did not know how to get in touch with them. That answers my question. I am NOT a Shaq fan...however, I have to admire him for doing this...and I have to admire him for USING the media to get his message to the Mikan family. Nothing like that media grapevine...like kudzu on fire.

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
What times are we living in when 123,000 a year is not enough to secure a living. My parents made close to 95,000 a year for most of my dad's career, and they managed to save up enough to live confortably for the rest of their lives. how long was your dad's career? now compare that to Mikans.

adidas11
06-03-2005, 03:37 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/3662406

nkdlunch
06-03-2005, 03:38 PM
who cares

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Well I'll give Shaq this much, he's not a complete waste of space.

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Shaq is a god.

If you don't believe it just read the other thread... :rolleyes

ducks
06-03-2005, 03:40 PM
did any not think they would?

adidas11
06-03-2005, 03:40 PM
who cares

Apparently, the Mikan family does.

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Good.

Useruser666
06-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Shaq has offered to bury DRob in the past too. :lol

1Parker1
06-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Shaq has offered to bury DRob in the past too. :lol

:lol

tekdragon
06-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Good for Shaq, good for the Mikan family. Shaq obviously has tons of respect for basketball history, and this was a first class offer. Props to him. Shaq is the Vito Corleone of the NBA. He's great for basketball, and I hope we get the opportunity to go through him for the trophy. There will be a much larger audience for a Miami-San Antonio final than a Spurs-Pistons one. If the Heat make it, we can all thank Shaq for helping to expose the brilliance of Spurs basketball to the general public. With that many people watching, our players will get a prime opportunity to strut their stuff in front of casual basketball fans who would otherwise never watch a Spurs game.
Hate on, haters...hate on...

Jimcs50
06-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Why does Shaq always have to announce his charitable donations?

He is an asshole. He only does this to get good publicity.

A true humanitarian does things w/o notifying the press.

tekdragon
06-03-2005, 04:56 PM
How many of these "true humanitarians" were thoughtful enough to make the same offer? If someone else had, you would have heard about it, even if they weren't trying to "get good publicity".

No one did. Just Shaq. You think the E-N wouldn't have run a story if David Robinson offered to help the family? Of course they would. But he didn't offer. Shaq did. At least give him credit for thinking of the idea in the first place.

Shaq - generous
Haters - petty

red kryptonite
06-03-2005, 05:13 PM

This is really ignorant.

TDfan2007
06-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Wow, you're an idiot

dcole50
06-03-2005, 05:21 PM
how does shaq helping the mikan family make him an asshole? who cares if he made it public? he's helping them. it's not like any other nba players were jumping at a chance to do the same.

ducks
06-03-2005, 05:23 PM
shaq also gets paid twice as much as 99.9 max players do

Brutalis
06-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Nice thing to do. But I still hate you.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 06:16 PM
So he made it public, big deal.

Like it wouldn't have gotten out anyway when you're talking about someone as important to basketball/famous as Mikan.

SpursWoman
06-03-2005, 06:30 PM
So he made it public, big deal.

Like it wouldn't have gotten out anyway when you're talking about someone as important to basketball/famous as Mikan.

No kidding...and also in the process maybe make the situation a little easier for his (Mikan's) family.

It's a nice thing to do regardless...there's nothing I can recall ever hearing about Shaq personally (not bball smack) that would ever lead me to believe that he wasn't sincerely trying to do something nice for Mikan's family.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2005, 06:30 PM

Okay dick, add in treatments for kidney failure and diabetes and get back to me.

Here, to help you out:

Kidney dialysis: 3 times a week for 5 years. That's roughly 60K a year in dialysis treatments (that's 300K over the length of time that he had them).

Diabetes: you're looking at a tab of about 15K a year for diabetes related health costs.

He also had a much shorter career than your dad probably had.

Chris
06-03-2005, 06:51 PM
gg starting two threads for this worthless topic.
like anybody in SA cares about Shaq's charitable donations to someone nobody knows.

Dre_7
06-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Shaq is a good man.

Off the court that is!!! :lol

maxpower
06-03-2005, 07:20 PM

My thoughts exactly.

First thing I thought was how inappropriate that was to go through the media. If he were actually sincere he would have wished his condolences with at most some kind words. Any help offered should have been in private and if they decline you make a contribution in Mikan's name to a charity and send them flowers with that info. It reeks of an uncouth publicity hound.

edit: Didn't realize there were 2 threads about this and both started by the same myopian. Nice job. I want my two mouse clicks back.

sickdsm
06-03-2005, 07:55 PM
"someone nobody knows."

I don't tear many people down but you need to go fuck off. Get a fucking clue about what the hell your talking about. Whether your blasting Mikan or his family it doesn't matter.

Go to hell.

Jimcs50
06-03-2005, 08:55 PM
This is really ignorant.

Shaq just made Forbes Top 10 paid athletes list.

Shaquille O'Neal

$31.9 mil (Pay Rank: 5)

Basketball - Center, Los Angeles Lakers

married

Do you know what a lousy 10 grand is to someone who makes 31 million is? That is like me donating $100.

I donate hundreds of dollars to a lot of charities each year and a lot of times it is anonymously. I never tell anyone that I am doing it, I just do it. I do not tell the press, the local dental society, my friends, my patients, you people...I just do it. I give back to society because it is the right thing to do.

Every time Shaq donates to some kid who has cancer in the Make A Wish Foundation, he calls a press conference, it is all over the LA Times, it is always some photo op with the kids, he has to have attention, always has, always will.

This is why I siad what I said.

Get it???

milkyway21
06-03-2005, 08:55 PM
i really don't like Shaq, but

i know how it feels to lose a member of the family and when somebody extends a hand to help in times such as this.........

whatever his motive is...i don't care.

nice gesture, Shaq! :angel

E20
06-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Does anybody remember that NBA commerical of 'Why I love this game'. It was the one when Kareem said 'I love this game because of Tim Duncan' and the last player to say something was Shaq and he said 'I love this game becaue of Geogre Mikan'.

Jimcs50
06-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Does anybody remember that NBA commerical of 'Why I love this game'. It was the one when Kareem said 'I love this game because of Tim Duncan' and the last player to say something was Shaq and he said 'I love this game becaue of Geogre Mikan'.

He also had a commercial where he talked about how he loves to read books.

Yeah, like that has ever happened. :rolleyes

E20
06-03-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm not lying it's true. I have it on tape.

Jimcs50
06-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm not lying it's true. I have it on tape.

I believe it, He was Laker, but I doubt Shaq ever watched him play on any old footage. This was all scripted, I'm sure.

TheAdmiral#50
06-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Oh please.

Shut up.

Bill Gates Giving 1 billion is nothing... yadda yadda.

Stop hating.

The fact remains he offered and will give the money.

I dont care who you are, 50 cents is still 50 cents and several thousand dollars is still several thousand dollars.

Very true,it's the thought behind the gift,not the price of the gift.
I'm sure the family feels the same way.

E20
06-03-2005, 09:28 PM
I believe it, He was Laker, but I doubt Shaq ever watched him play on any old footage. This was all scripted, I'm sure.

Not the Kareem and TD part. If it is then :pctoss

2centsworth
06-03-2005, 09:54 PM
it's not like any other nba players were jumping at a chance to do the same.

how thick is your skull? Just because others didn't go public doesn't mean they didn't jump at a chance to help.

milkyway21
06-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Shaq - generous
Haters - petty

clap to ShaQ.

but Shaq being generous doesn't make him a GOOD man though:angel

my hate for this :blah still stands. Pity me:cry

Jimcs50
06-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Shaq donating to a charity and telling the whole world about it is not unlike someone making a lame sports prediction and telling everyone to notice his prediction.

oops.

:angel

red kryptonite
06-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Shaq just made Forbes Top 10 paid athletes list.

Do you know what a lousy 10 grand is to someone who makes 31 million is? That is like me donating $100.

I donate hundreds of dollars to a lot of charities each year and a lot of times it is anonymously. I never tell anyone that I am doing it, I just do it. I do not tell the press, the local dental society, my friends, my patients, you people...I just do it. I give back to society because it is the right thing to do.

Every time Shaq donates to some kid who has cancer in the Make A Wish Foundation, he calls a press conference, it is all over the LA Times, it is always some photo op with the kids, he has to have attention, always has, always will.

This is why I siad what I said.

Get it???

Is this one of those posts I'm supposed to take with a grain of salt or are you being serious?

Even if Shaq announces every single thing he ever does charitable (which I really don't think he even has time to do) so what? What if he just wants people to know that he's doing these good things so ingorant dentists like yourself don't think he does nothing at all?

Why does he need to be a "true humanitarian" and keep everything quiet?

So what if he finds it fulfilling to let others know he's doing good? He's not trying to make any money off this stuff? He likes helping out?

What has he done to deserve this criticism? He helped out the Mikan family.

That's all he did. He didn't do anything bad. He helped out and served as a good role model.

So what if he only paid $500? You're holding it against him that he makes a lot of money.

People getting mad at Shaq for doing something good is rediculous.

If you don't want to have the people at the American Dental Association know that you gave $100 in April - ok, fine nobody cares. You're a great humanitarian. Email Shaq and tell him he's not.

Criticizing Shaq here goes beyond stupid.

What you are saying is that if you give and you don't hide that you're giving, you're doing wrong.

You get it?

AZLouis
06-03-2005, 11:28 PM
And what is the big deal with Shaq donating or not donating any money to anybody in the world? Or any millionaire or poor guy for that matter?

How many us here donate money to every financially strapped person or organization when you here help is needed?

Since when is someone obligated to do so? Saying that everybody knew Mikan had no money and should have done something about it. I have none, email me and I'll give you my PO Box.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Okay dick, add in treatments for kidney failure and diabetes and get back to me.

Here, to help you out:

Kidney dialysis: 3 times a week for 5 years. That's roughly 60K a year in dialysis treatments (that's 300K over the length of time that he had them).

Diabetes: you're looking at a tab of about 15K a year for diabetes related health costs.

He also had a much shorter career than your dad probably had.
I've got a question DICK! How do you know neither of my parents have kidney failure or diabetes? huh? You insensitive asshole, think before you post jackass.