PDA

View Full Version : Stars turn out to pay tribute to Bush 41

Marcus Bryant
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7485119.html

Oh, Gee!!
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Bush, Jr. is the first ex-president who is not beloved, and I doubt he cares.

DarrinS
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM

huh

Oh, Gee!!
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
huh

you're right...I forgot about Nixon.

CosmicCowboy
03-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Uhhh LBJ anyone?

Even Carter...what the hell is "beloved" about that idiot....The whole nation gave a collective sigh of relief when he lost his re-election bid...

LnGrrrR
03-22-2011, 03:08 PM

I don't get why. Desert Storm was a success by any measure, and while he famously went back on his "No new taxes" claim, he had the conviction to do what he thought was right.

cheguevara
03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
you're right...I forgot about Nixon.

I don't think anyone beloves Millard Fillmore either

EVAY
03-22-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't get why. Desert Storm was a success by any measure, and while he famously went back on his "No new taxes" claim, he had the conviction to do what he thought was right.

Are you mixing up the Bush presidents here?

I agree completely that he did what he thought was right on taxes. And it WAS the right thing to do. But his own party abandoned him over the issue.

The guy was brilliant at putting together the first gulf war coalition, and was right on in understanding that the coalition would crater if they tried to go all the way to Baghdad. So he didn't. And his own son criticized him for it.

Jr. was the more 'conservative' of the two Bush presidents, but bungled both international relations and the economy as well. But his own party loved him because he cut taxes. That is really all it takes any more for what passes for the Republican Party. Just don't raise taxes. No matter what happens. Ever.

boutons_deux
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
"Desert Storm was a success by any measure"

No, it was a huge failure because it was totally unnecessary.

"In December 1990, Iraq made a proposal to withdraw from Kuwait provided that their forces were not attacked as they left, and that a consensus was reached regarding the banning of WMD in the Palestinian region. The White House rejected the proposal"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

There was no US counter-proposal, such as "no conditions, just withdraw", just a rejection.

The Repug blood-thirsty neo-cons wanted to prove the world that the UCA was over the VN malaise and wrack up a an easy victory. The Repugs preferred to waste dozens of American lives to appear like hard-asses.

Then, the US forces occupied Saudi Arabia for 10+ years, pissing off a guy named OBL who then sought revenge 9/11 for US boots defiling his country's sacred sands.

LnGrrrR
03-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Jr. was the more 'conservative' of the two Bush presidents, but bungled both international relations and the economy as well. But his own party loved him because he cut taxes. That is really all it takes any more for what passes for the Republican Party. Just don't raise taxes. No matter what happens. Ever.

You would think he'd be liked by the moderates, at least.

LnGrrrR
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
"Desert Storm was a success by any measure"

No, it was a huge failure because it was totally unnecessary.

"In December 1990, Iraq made a proposal to withdraw from Kuwait provided that their forces were not attacked as they left, and that a consensus was reached regarding the banning of WMD in the Palestinian region. The White House rejected the proposal"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

There was no US counter-proposal, such as "no conditions, just withdraw", just a rejection.

The Repug blood-thirsty neo-cons wanted to prove the world that the UCA was over the VN malaise and wrack up a an easy victory. The Repugs preferred to waste dozens of American lives to appear like hard-asses.

Then, the US forces occupied Saudi Arabia for 10+ years, pissing off a guy named OBL who then sought revenge 9/11 for US boots defiling his country's sacred sands.

Hm. Good stuff, thanks Boutons. I guess in comparison to the Iraq War, Desert Storm was a relative slam dunk. My expectations have lowered significantly since 9/11. :lol

TheProfessor
03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Uhhh LBJ anyone?

Even Carter...what the hell is "beloved" about that idiot....The whole nation gave a collective sigh of relief when he lost his re-election bid...
I would say many hold Carter in high regard for the work he has done following his presidency.

Marcus Bryant
03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Are you mixing up the Bush presidents here?

I agree completely that he did what he thought was right on taxes. And it WAS the right thing to do. But his own party abandoned him over the issue.

The guy was brilliant at putting together the first gulf war coalition, and was right on in understanding that the coalition would crater if they tried to go all the way to Baghdad. So he didn't. And his own son criticized him for it.

Bush41 and Clinton bucked their own parties' respective bases, but were immensely superior to those who followed, who were and have been more beholden to party ideology.

boutons_deux
03-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Just like 2003 was an election year where starting an slamdunk war and re-elect a "war president", 2001 was also an election year. dubya was so unpopular they almost lost that calculation by the slimmest margin ever for an incumbent pres.

No doubt the 2001 Repugs were calculating that a slamdunk war would win Poppy's re-election. but "It' The Economy, Stupid" happened.