PDA

View Full Version : Respect!

TheAdmiral#50
06-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Over the years the Spurs haven't gotten as much national media attention. Even in the years when they won championships. Why do you think this is, and are things starting to look up for them in that respect?

TheAdmiral#50
06-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Our Spurs are very underrated as a team and clearly get no respect. They've won 2 championships in 6 years and when they beat whoever comes out of the east it'll be 3 in 7 years.

Ishta
06-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Reason....we are a small market team...And our players do not get into trouble, and cause a lot of controversy...Do I think this will change? NOPE

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2005, 10:57 AM
The lack of respect is mostly in the eyes of Spurs fans. The Spurs are definitely getting their props at the national level. Be reasonable...there are a lot of teams and good players in the NBA...national coverage can't be all Spurs/all the time...

TheAdmiral#50
06-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Well said,I agree. It just pisses me off,because it seems everybody always talks about how "the Spurs are boring!","the Spurs are a soft team!"

I guess they just don't like the fact that all we do is win lol. ;)

samikeyp
06-03-2005, 11:04 AM
The lack of respect is mostly in the eyes of Spurs fans. The Spurs are definitely getting their props at the national level. Be reasonable...there are a lot of teams and good players in the NBA...national coverage can't be all Spurs/all the time...

I would agree with that. I think there was a time when it was true but the Spurs hadn't done anything. They won in the regular season but fizzled in the playoffs. I think winning two titles has changed that.

TOP-CHERRY
06-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Who cares what the media thinks?

As long as we keep winning championships, why should this bother us?
By the way, as much as we hate the Lakers, they did deserve the media hype during those 3 championship runs.
I think the Spurs will earn a lot more respect if they manage to win at least 2 in a row.

You see the Pistons, and how they don't get much respect? Cause they're relatively new to being champions. And the only way they'll gain any acceptance is if they win 2 in a row.

BillsCarnage
06-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Reason....we are a small market team...And our players do not get into trouble, and cause a lot of controversy...Do I think this will change? NOPE

As is the case with just about every team in sports that's not in LA, Dallas, Miami, or NY. That's just the way it is. There will always be east coast bias. At the same time the Spurs never do anything to bring attention to themselves which is both good and bad.
A lot of people outside of SA put a big asterik next to the '99 championship because it was a strike shortened season. It's probably unfair because the players don't make the schedule they just play it.

Heck, we are one of only a dozen or so cities to have all four major sports, plus what some consider the 5th in arena football, the 6th largest metro area in the county, yet we're considered "small market". Makes no sense.

TheAdmiral#50
06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Ok,like when they say,"Manu Ginobili is the biggest dive artist in the NBA!"
WTF are people thinking when they say that!?

Ginobili is not a dive artist it's just that every game he is always getting knocked down to the floor by the opposing team because that is the only way they can stop him. He has nothing but heart, if you knock him down he will get right back up and take it to you. You don't see him complain because he is not a cry baby.

Ginobili is a legitimate star, and you can't deny that. Take any three highlight reel plays from him, and they're more than enough to overshadow any flopping he's done. The guy makes plays few (if any) other players in the league could make.

TheAdmiral#50
06-03-2005, 11:24 AM
As is the case with just about every team in sports that's not in LA, Dallas, Miami, or NY. That's just the way it is. There will always be east coast bias. At the same time the Spurs never do anything to bring attention to themselves which is both good and bad.
A lot of people outside of SA put a big asterik next to the '99 championship because it was a strike shortened season. It's probably unfair because the players don't make the schedule they just play it.

Heck, we are one of only a dozen or so cities to have all four major sports, plus what some consider the 5th in arena football, the 6th largest metro area in the county, yet we're considered "small market". Makes no sense.

The other factor, like it or not, is that San Antonio isn't easy to get to. You have to take a connection through somewhere to get there from either coast.