03-22-2011, 09:38 AM
This is the Spurs' hardest 6 game stretch of the season:

Wed, Mar 23 @Denver 10:30 PM

Fri, Mar 25 @Portland 10:00 PM

Sun, Mar 27 @Memphis 6:00 PM

Mon, Mar 28 vsPortland 8:30 PM

Thu, Mar 31 vsBoston 8:00 PM TNT

Fri, Apr 1 @Houston 8:30 PM

Each opponent is either playing very well, or is jockeying for playoff spot or position.

Juggity
03-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Worst time to lose TD would be in the game before the playoffs begin.

howbouthemspurs
03-22-2011, 09:44 AM

I second that! Duh!

Jimcs50
03-22-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm talking about reg season. duh

tuncaboylu
03-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Not exactly, we can lose him earlier in the season and can't build 7 games lead. If we were head to head with Lakers right now, we couldn't finish ahead of them despite with an healthy Duncan. They've a very easy schedule.

alchemist
03-22-2011, 09:52 AM
just win the next 3 and call it a season, give tony/manu 10 minute games the rest of the way

dbreiden83080
03-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Lakers have to run the table and we have to go 5-7 to tie with them. Lakers may wanna rest their guys also last few games depending on where Dallas is. Even if the Lakers go 10-2 we'd have to go 3-9

We're fine..

TheProfessor
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
It's not great timing, but it's not the worst. Giving TD a few games off and having to go deeper into our bench against good teams will test our frontcourt heading into the playoffs.

Dex
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Denver and Houston, I'm not particularly worried about. They are playing well, but we should be able to at least match up with them without Timmy.

Now facing Aldridge, Randolph, Aldridge, and the Boston Bros in succession...that's going to be a major pain in the ass. We are going to get blasted in the paint.

dbestpro
03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Blessing in disguise.

1. Look for Duncan to hit the payoffs being well rested. Last year he was so wore out in the playoffs trying to man the middle by himself with Pop's small ball.

2. Will mean more minutes over all for Tiago and Novak. If both continue to produce then Pop may find time for them come the playoffs that actually might make a positive difference in some games.

3. What better way to find out how good some of these guys are then playing them major minutes against playoff teams that are playing as hard as they can as they jockey for position.

lefty
03-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Last time Duncan sprained his ankle that badly in the regular season: March 20, 2005 :wow:wow:wow

2005 = :lobt2:

So no, it's not that bad :D

Budkin
03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Last time Duncan sprained his ankle that badly in the regular season: March 20, 2005 :wow:wow:wow

That sprain seemed worse... I remember it was in Detroit and he had to be carried off the court.

mexicanjunior
03-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Each opponent is either playing very well, or is jockeying for playoff spot or position.

I don't see us winning any of those without Tim...our lead in the West is going to shrink fast.

2Cleva
03-22-2011, 10:38 AM
SA should win at least 2 of those games. If they don't, LA probably ends up passing them in the standings. I doubt LA loses more than 1 the rest of the season.

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2011, 10:41 AM
who cares man, he did play through the 05 playoff campaign on 2 bum ankles

mexicanjunior
03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
who cares man, he did play through the 05 playoff campaign on 2 bum ankles

He is 6 years older now...big difference.

tuncaboylu
03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't see us winning any of those without Tim...our lead in the West is going to shrink fast.

TD wasn't the X-factor of our 57-13. We can win at least 3 of that games without him.

hater
03-22-2011, 11:11 AM

or anytime during the playoffs (knock on wood)

hater
03-22-2011, 11:12 AM

still wrong.

Better to lose TD with a 7 game lead than when our lead was less

PeterBurns
03-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Actually not the worse. Can't hurt for the other guys to get a few extra minutes against Playoff competition. As long as he's back for 4 games or so. They will be fine

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
SA should win at least 2 of those games. If they don't, LA probably ends up passing them in the standings. I doubt LA loses more than 1 the rest of the season.

24-2 after the break?

Whisky Dog
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
As long as he's healthy for the playoffs I doubt it's the worst time. I think Splitter/Novak will continue to step up and we'll take care of Denver, Portland once, and Houston. I also think we'll win one of the other games in this 6 game run. Timmy hasn't been playing 38 a night as our only star like in '01 - '02 and he hasn't been putting up the performances consistently since he's older now. I think we clinch by the last 4 games.

I'm curious to see if Novak has the playoff cajones that Bonner lacks. If he can get hot knocking down 3s like he has recently in spot playoff duty that would be massive to our chances. We already know Bonner did his regular season job and will fold like a tent come late April, but if Novak can pick up that scoring slack a bit it'll be huge.

hater
03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
:lmao

Lakerfan thinking the lakers can catch the Spurs.

not gonna happen child

moisaenz
03-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Panic mode is in effect without Duncan.. but some were saying that he was not productive and a liability on defense.. now some of those think our season is over.......

Even the lakers fan who come here and make fun of duncan since he is too old now think our team completely sucks without him....

Sportcamper
03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Lakers fans like Tim Duncan….Heck everybody likes Duncan…Heal up for the play-offs…:toast

spursfaninla
03-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Although we probably lose most or all of these, we don't need them probably either, which is crazy.

We have 6.5 on everyone, and 7 on the lakers. If we get Tim back in 2 weeks, then we have him for the last 5 games of the season, including a game against the lakers.

Even if we lose all 6 of the above games, if we win the rest, which are all games we should win except the game at the Lakers, and the Lakers run the table, we are tied with the Lakers.

I don't think we lose all 6 and the Lakers win out. So, even if we lose to the Lakers, and lose almost all the above 6, we still are just barely holding on to the top seed.

Granted, the margin for error just crumbled into dust. But we should hold on if Tim comes back in about 2 weeks or less.

2Cleva
03-22-2011, 11:35 AM
24-2 after the break?

LA knows how to play within the moment. I expected them to go 20-5 after the break if healthy - they are far surpassing that now.

They would look at it simply as finishing the year 11-1 with a team playing well and a favorable home schedule.

TwelveGs210
03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Blessing in disguise.

1. Look for Duncan to hit the payoffs being well rested. Last year he was so wore out in the playoffs trying to man the middle by himself with Pop's small ball.

2. Will mean more minutes over all for Tiago and Novak. If both continue to produce then Pop may find time for them come the playoffs that actually might make a positive difference in some games.

3. What better way to find out how good some of these guys are then playing them major minutes against playoff teams that are playing as hard as they can as they jockey for position.

Agreed.

Mugen
03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
LA knows how to play within the moment. I expected them to go 20-5 after the break if healthy - they are far surpassing that now.

They would look at it simply as finishing the year 11-1 with a team playing well and a favorable home schedule.

wow, very impressed that you referred to the Lakers without using "we" or "us" like typical LakerFan....

that said, the Lakers could run the table but they aren't catching the Spurs. Spurs will probably play .500 ball without Timmy and thats enough to lock up HCA throughout....

dont think it would be wise for the Lakers to try and catch the spurs anyways and risk wearing out Kobe, Bynum, Fish, etc.

i do think they finish with the 2nd best record overall.

honestfool84
03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Blessing in disguise.

this. exactly this.

:lol :tu

honestfool84
03-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Duncan has not done much this season anyway. He is approaching washed up status. Parker or Manu would be much bigger losses.

you are freaking stupid. that is all.

Sportcamper
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree with Mugen, WE may stay ahead of the Mavs but it is not likely for US to catch the Spurs….

honestfool84
03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Duncan isn't that good anymore. That is a fact.

yes, and let me guess, if you were the GM of the Spurs you would trade Tim Duncan for any Greek player?

:rolleyes

Mugen
03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I agree with Mugen, WE may stay ahead of the Mavs but it is not likely for US to catch the Spurs….

i see what you did there.

honestfool84
03-22-2011, 12:00 PM
i don't understand the fear and hesitation of some of the Spurs' fans here in this particular thread.

seriously.

Although we probably lose most or all of these, we don't need them probably either, which is crazy.

y'all need to grow a pair of balls and have some trust in your team. i think the Spurs will go 5-1 or 4-2. i will happily eat my words if neither is the case. this team is deep.

i fully believe that Tim Duncan is the anchor for the Spurs, and we would definitely not have the record we have if it weren't for TD... but to suggest we're going to lose most/all of these games is just pansy, balls-less bullcrap.

that is al..

and this... :tu

Lakers fans like Tim Duncan….Heck everybody likes Duncan…Heal up for the play-offs…:toast

egtonecity
03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Agreed with honestfool. This is the spurs, not the mavs. Hopefully Tiago wack ford commercial Splitter can get some good run against these good teams.

BRs.Ganso
03-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I think is good time to lose TD

- only 12 games to Spurs get the 1st position on West-Conference
- time to TD take a rest and get in shape to offs
- more minutes to Splitter development

:flag:

romain.star
03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Actually, the timing is great.

1/ The HCA is secured (yes it is).

2/ TD gets a great amount of rest before the PO

3/ When he comes back, he'll have enough time to find his rythm back

4/ Last but not least, it gives Tiago an amazing opportunity to step up right before the post season.

TD minor injury makes me happy and even more confident about our chances

HarlemHeat37
03-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Spurs are gonna have to score 100+ points in all of these games coming up, obviously..

Duncan is no longer in the upper echelon of defensive players, but value-wise, the numbers show that there are only a few players in the NBA that have meant more to their team's defense, this season..Spurs D will be terrible, but their offense won't suffer too much, regular season Duncan hasn't been a huge factor from an offensive standpoint..

They should be able to compete in most of these games, I wouldn't be surprised to see a .500 record, which would be fine..

Obstructed_View
03-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Don't fuck with Jim's jinx, you idiot newbies.

Obstructed_View
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Duncan has not done much this season anyway. He is approaching washed up status. Parker or Manu would be much bigger losses.

Good thing we have the Euroleague MVP and best post scorer outside of the NBA to step right in.

Budkin
03-22-2011, 01:48 PM

You don't think we'll win any of those? :lmao

You obviously don't know how resilient this team is.

Budkin
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM

If the Spurs can't win at least 2 of those games, they don't deserve to even sniff the championship.

mexicanjunior
03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
You don't think we'll win any of those? :lmao

You obviously don't know how resilient this team is.

Nope...no inside presence and on the road...I expect more Laker/Heat type losses...

03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
worst time would be game 7 against the lakers.

Strategic
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Are you one of the idiot laker fans who have been saying that Duncan is washed up, and now you would say that his absence will affect the team's record?

:nope

Jimcs50
03-22-2011, 04:54 PM
You are missing my point.
Let me clarify.

This is hardest 6 game stretch in regualr season. Spurs can lose every one of them easily. No cupcakes in this stretch, all these teams except Boston are playing their best ball of the year, and Boston is Boston.

Ok, now can I get some agreement?

daslicer
03-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Let me clarify.

This is hardest 6 game stretch in regualr season. Spurs can lose every one of them easily. No cupcakes in this stretch, all these teams except Boston are playing their best ball of the year, and Boston is Boston.

I agree with you on that all these games are super hard. Spurs need to win at least 2 out of these 6 games to lock up the first seed. I have a feeling the lakers will lose at least 2 more games which will put them at 60-22. The spurs need to get at least 4 more wins total and they will have the number 1 seed in the west locked up.

Obstructed_View
03-22-2011, 05:57 PM
I completely disagree. This is as close as the Spurs are going to get to adversity this season, and it's the perfect time for the rest of them to gel. In ten days when RJ and Georgie are finally playing well again, we'll all be breathing a sigh of relief, regardless of whether or not the Spurs win all these games.

said7
03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Negative nelly rears his fat head again. #1 seed is a lock.

Borosai
03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Bonner's gonna regulate. No worries.

romsho
03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Let me clarify.

Agreed.

nevitt_&_smrek
03-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Negative nelly rears his fat head again. #1 seed is a lock.

It's a virtual lock, I agree. But top seeds aren't locks to reach the finals, unless the Lakers have it.

Top Seeds, West:
2000: Lakers (Finals)
2001: Spurs (WCF)
2002: Kings (WCF)
2003: Spurs (Finals)
2004: Wolves (WCF)
2005: Suns (WCF)
2006: Spurs (WSF)
2007: Mavs (choke)
2008: Lakers (Finals)
2009: Lakers (Finals)
2010: Lakers (Finals)

5/11 overall, but mostly Lakers. There would have been more top seed choking last few years if it weren't for the emergence of a truly dominant team.

Top Seeds, East:
2000: Pacers (Finals)
2001: Suxers (Finals)
2002: Nets (Finals)
2003: Pistons (ECF)
2004: Pacers (ECF)
2005: Heat (ECF)
2006: Pistons (ECF)
2007: Pistons (ECF)
2008: Celtics (Finals)
2009: Cavs (ECF)
2010: Cavs (ESF)

4/11 overall; only 1 of the last 8.

Budkin
03-22-2011, 07:49 PM
I completely disagree. This is as close as the Spurs are going to get to adversity this season, and it's the perfect time for the rest of them to gel. In ten days when RJ and Georgie are finally playing well again, we'll all be breathing a sigh of relief, regardless of whether or not the Spurs win all these games.

Agreed.

Spursfan092120
03-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Hardest six game stretch? uhhh

Tue. Dec 28 - Lakers
Thu. Dec 30 - Dallas
Sat. Jan 1 - OKC
Tue. Jan 4 - NYK
Wed. Jan 5 - Boston
Fri . Jan 7 - Pacers

I knew we had a tougher one than this. Not saying it's going to be easy, but calling it the toughest stretch of the season is REALLY stretching it.

TIMMYD!
03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Nope...no inside presence and on the road...I expect more Laker/Heat type losses...

Kind of a pussy thing to say.

mexicanjunior
03-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Kind of a pussy thing to say.

If you consider the truth vaginal...have at it.

TampaDude
03-22-2011, 11:32 PM
We have 12 games remaining:

@ Denver - W
@ Portland - L
@ Memphis - L
vs Portland - W
vs Boston - W
@ Houston - W
vs Phoenix - W
@ Atlanta - W
vs Sacramento - W
vs Utah - W
@ LA Lakers - L (resting starters)
@ Phoenix - L (resting starters)

Obstructed_View
03-22-2011, 11:53 PM
If you consider the truth vaginal...have at it.

So you're expecting the Spurs to quit and get beat by 30? Nah, you're just a pussy.

mexicanjunior
03-23-2011, 07:41 AM
So you're expecting the Spurs to quit and get beat by 30? Nah, you're just a pussy.

It's not like it hasn't already happened this year...with no inside presence and more minutes for Bonner/Blair, it seems like the chances to get blown out by good teams increases also...but nah, you are just a homer swallowing Pop's jizz...enjoy his DNA.

Jimcs50
03-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Hardest six game stretch? uhhh

Tue. Dec 28 - Lakers
Thu. Dec 30 - Dallas
Sat. Jan 1 - OKC
Tue. Jan 4 - NYK
Wed. Jan 5 - Boston
Fri . Jan 7 - Pacers

I knew we had a tougher one than this. Not saying it's going to be easy, but calling it the toughest stretch of the season is REALLY stretching it.

There are 3 hard games here, plus Dallas was missing Dirk. Considering that these games coming up are all important to each opponent in their playoff seedings, your 6 games are not even close to this stretch of games in degree of difficulty

Drachen
03-23-2011, 08:00 AM
..... is in the finals, up 2-0, going back to Boston.

tuncaboylu
03-23-2011, 08:12 AM
It's not like it hasn't already happened this year...with no inside presence and more minutes for Bonner/Blair, it seems like the chances to get blown out by good teams increases also...but nah, you are just a homer swallowing Pop's jizz...enjoy his DNA.

Don't jump on to bandwagon when we win.

mexicanjunior
03-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Don't jump on to bandwagon when we win.

:lol
Oh yeah...I'll be sure to follow your instructions...

duncan228
03-23-2011, 11:57 AM
What to expect from the Duncanless Spurs (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

Scott Sereday, as usual, has done a terrific job of accounting for the statistical issues surrounding Tim Duncan’s injury (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/advanced-scouting-san-antonio-spurs-denver-nuggets-3-23). And there is also a good bit in his post about the value of role players vs. the value of home court advantage. Do read it.

My take on Duncan’s injury, providing it doesn’t extend beyond the start of the postseason, is that it’s not such a big deal. My biggest concern is Duncan’s condition, which could diminish over the next few weeks. Couple this with the expectation of more postseason minutes for Duncan, and he may spend the first round of the playoffs getting into game shape.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/what-to-expect-from-the-duncanless-spurs#more-13364)

duncan228
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Hit the links for the whole pieces.

With Duncan out, Splitter facing critical stretch run (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/22/splitter-facing-critical-stretch-run/)
Jeff McDonald

...Spurs coach Gregg Popovich could start the 6-foot-11 Splitter in Duncan’s place, as he did Saturday against Charlotte, when the perennial All-Star was given a routine night off. Or Popovich could return to DeJuan Blair, who started the first 63 games.

Either way, Splitter is set to face a stretch that, for better or ill, could define his rookie season.

“This,” Manu Ginobili said, “is the opportunity he’s been waiting for.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/22/splitter-facing-critical-stretch-run/

Duncan’s injury could benefit Spurs’ playoff hopes (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/23/duncans-injury-could-benefit-spurs-playoff-hopes/)
Tim Griffin

...Even with a brutal closing schedule that will include 11 playoff contenders in the final 12 games, the upcoming stretch could develop a couple of spots that the Spurs will desperately need in a playoff run.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/23/duncans-injury-could-benefit-spurs-playoff-hopes/

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM

:lol Yeah, that's me, the blind Pop defender. :lol

Jimcs50
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Looking worse and worse

Jimcs50
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM

wontstartdumbthreads
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Bonner's gonna regulate. No worries.

Bonner can't even regulate the amount of Skittles he pours into his hand.

Gooshie
03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Jimcs50 - I completely agree with you (I actually agreed with you when you started this thread).

I'll even take it a step further - this is the hardest EIGHT game stretch of the season. After Houston on Friday, we have an early Sunday game at home vs. Phoenix, and you know how we usually fare in early Sunday games (especially when it's the 3rd game in 3 and a half days). Then, that Tuesday we are at Atlanta.

With the way the Lakers are playing, as soon as TD went down, I knew the # 1 seed was in serious jeopardy. It may very well come down to Tuesday, April 12 @ LAL for all the marbles.

Jimcs50
04-02-2011, 09:56 AM

I jinxed them.

:depressed

TheMACHINE
04-02-2011, 10:30 AM
:lmao

Lakerfan thinking the lakers can catch the Spurs.

not gonna happen child

:lol

biskvito
04-02-2011, 11:44 AM
this thread acquired epic status

spurs1990
04-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey Jim. The question begs to be asked.

Are we ever gonna win another game?

Jimcs50
04-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey Jim. The question begs to be asked.

Are we ever gonna win another game?

Well, I said they could lose all 6 games, not 7 games, so it follows, Spurs win on Sunday.

Jimcs50
04-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I never thought that they really would lose all 6 games, just that they could lose all 6.....I am bummed

mexicanjunior
04-02-2011, 02:37 PM

Spot muthafucking on!

dbreiden83080
04-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Spot muthafucking on!

Stop trolling...

Being a Spurs fan you could do more than complain..

mexicanjunior
04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Stop trolling...

Being a Spurs fan you could do more than complain..

The trolls were the ones blindingly believing we were fine despite all the numerous problems the "realists" were pointing out...so please, stop trolling.