PDA

View Full Version : Bonner "Playoff Ready" thread

kaji157
03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Just because i am so sure it will happen again i'll start a thread to get a follow up on how Bonner is "playoff ready" to miss open shots when it really matters.

I posted it a while ago here, in the Spurs - Heat preview.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5051218&postcount=23

By then, Bonner was already in a 4 games shooting slump, or as some here think, he is already in his TRUE percentage for important games.

By now, he is probably playing his most sincere basketball of the season, a piece from mysa will ilustrate.

From: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/22/notes-on-a-scorecard-manu-tp-tiago-are-ready-with-td-missing/

Matt Bonner got a pair of 3-pointers in a game for the second straight game, but continued to struggle with his shot. Since Duncan’s infamous “It’s Over” pronouncement during Bonner’s 6-for-7 shooting effort against Miami on March 4, Bonner is hitting 22.2 percent of his 3-pointers and averaging 4.5 points per game. His league-leading 3-point percentage has been reduced from 51.2 percent to 48.4 percent during that period.

Can we have a poll where we can bet if he will shoot better or worse than .350 during the PO?

Cessation
03-22-2011, 04:51 PM
lol

Solid D
03-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Little did we know that Timmy's proclamation of "It's Over" would actually be a prophecy. Could it be that Bonner's hot shooting IS actually over?

chazley
03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Only 48%, WTF is wrong with him?!?!?!?!

Hoops Czar
03-22-2011, 11:23 PM

Teams aren't allowing him wide open looks. A plummeting 48%

chazley
03-22-2011, 11:26 PM

People do realize that this is a good thing overall for the Spurs if Bonner's man(usually a big) has to hang out with him on the perimeter all game, right? Especially against the Lakers.

chazley
03-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Little did we know that Timmy's proclamation of "It's Over" would actually be a prophecy. Could it be that Bonner's hot shooting IS actually over?

lol nice.

spurspokesman
03-23-2011, 06:11 AM
People do realize that this is a good thing overall for the Spurs if Bonner's man(usually a big) has to hang out with him on the perimeter all game, right? Especially against the Lakers.

This

spurspokesman
03-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Lets just hope he was talking about the lakers reign solid:lol

Seventyniner
03-23-2011, 06:16 AM

Have you even watched the last two games? Bonner is 4-16 from 3 in those two, and nearly every shot (make and miss) was wide open. It's frustrating that he's missing so many open looks, but it's not the defense that's causing it.

Texas_Ranger
03-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Bonner + Playoffs = :lmao

Warlord23
03-23-2011, 07:03 AM
We need to stop celebrating Groundhog day, and institute Matt Bonner day instead - Bonner bricking open 3s is a more accurate indicator of the beginning of Spring.

IknowU
03-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Bonner on his day can shoot 100% regardless of how tough the shots are.

If pop pulled his dick out of his mouth, he should bench him the minute he misses two consecutive shots.:ihit

Em-City
03-23-2011, 07:53 AM
i wonder if the novak factor will shake things up a bit

Phenomanul
03-23-2011, 07:59 AM
So other players such as Ginobili, Hill, Parker, Neal, McDyess and Jefferson are allowed to fall into shooting slumps and are given the chance to shoot themselves out of it... but the moment Bonner enters his first true shooting slump of the season, people find it pertinent to say that this was expected (and assume) that it will carry out into the post-season...

It amazes me how much these 'Spurs fans' want to drive that nail into the coffin themselves... :lol

said7
03-23-2011, 08:05 AM
I got nothing but love for the red rocket, and Matt bonner too.

xram27
03-23-2011, 08:18 AM
He will we be fine in the playoffs this time around. He is in a shooting slump. Like Manu was a few weeks ago.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-23-2011, 08:23 AM
lol making fun of a 50% 3-point shooting man.

Pathetic.

Bruno
03-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Shooting slumps happen. There is nothing to worry about. Let's just hope that Bonner's slump will end quickly.

The true worry about Bonner is that he has been consistently bad in playoffs. The theory that he isn't good enough to play in the playoffs because of a lack of mental strength and/or a lack of skills looks damn solid. It's up to him to break that theory with good playoffs performances. Until then, it isn't reasonable to count him as a sure thing for the playoffs and Pop should really works on a plan B in case Bonner chokes again.

hater
03-23-2011, 08:37 AM
lol making fun of a 50% 3-point shooting man.

Pathetic.

that's pretty much all he brings to the table. Everything else is a liability and hurts the Spurs.

A Bonner that does not shoot over 50% is a complete waste of space.

Not to mention that 50% figure plummets when you only consider contested shots. Which we will see a lot in the playoffs.

Warlord23
03-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Matt Bonner career shooting trend:

Month FG% 3FG%
October .451 .440
November .476 .463
December .501 .427
January .473 .411
February .451 .429
March .481 .404
April .421 .352
Playoffs .364 .318

8FOR!3
03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Can I point out that 32% isn't even that bad?

Warlord23
03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Can I point out that 32% isn't even that bad?

Depends. It isn't bad if you can do something else - maybe score inside the paint, or create for others, or play good defense, or rebound. But if long-range shooting is your only forte, that isn't good enough for a contributor on a championship team.

SenorSpur
03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
It's springtime. The NBA Playoffs are around the corner. All that means is it's time for Bonner to go into his annual "choke" mode. Something that I call his "Springtime Swoon".

Ever since Horry retired and Bonner inherited the majority of his court time, his annual springtime swoon has meant that his shot goes on vacation - as the Spurs head toward and during the playoffs.

Bonner's infamous past spring performances only force one to conclude that he is a somehwhat of a mental midget. I hope he can eventually disprove this because, as of now, that there is no evidence to contradict this perception.

In year's past, the Spurs have been helpless in generating the necessary floor-spreading, playoff shooting that Bonner provides. The type of shooting that keeps opponents from packing the lane, which ultimately drives by TP and Manu.

I'd be a bit more worried this year. However the difference this year is that the Spurs have Bonner Lite (Steve Novak). Hopefully he can provide some insurance to help mitigate Bonner's expected springtime swoon.

Strike
03-23-2011, 09:56 AM

He spreads the floor. :lol

You really think Boner is gonna spread the floor when he's missing 4 of every 5 jumpers? You really think Spurs fans are the only people on the planet that know Boner is a piece of shit come playoff time? I'm gonna grasp at straws and say that the Spurs' potential playoff opponents know that Boner's shooting takes an epic dump from game 83 on.

kaji157
03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Bonner is hitting 27.0 percent from beyond the arc in his last 11 games.

Uslesssssss....

Still he plays and Splitter rests in the fourth.

Seriously, Manu, Parker, Duncan, can someone injure Bonner for god's sake.

DeadlyDynasty
03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Bonner is hitting 27.0 percent from beyond the arc in his last 11 games.

Uslesssssss....

Still he plays and Splitter rests in the fourth.

Seriously, Manu, Parker, Duncan, can someone injure Bonner for god's sake.

That is not God's will. Bonner is the chosen one.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
03-28-2011, 07:29 PM

if you read it correctly hes actually 22% !!! his recent slump is taking away from his amazing regular season average. so yea what the fuck is wrong with him at 22 % ??? i could play for the spurs with that field goal percentage

++SaiNt TiAg0++
03-28-2011, 07:30 PM
That is not God's will. Bonner is the chosen one.

:lmao maybe hes jewish and pop knows stern watches that sort of thing??... im running out of ideas here on his P.T

DMC
03-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Bonner isn't in a shooting slump. He's in a "getting wide open" slump.

Cessation
03-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Bonner is full on playoff mode. I'm scared to think what he'll actually do in the playoffs, probably nothing.

ElNono
03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Bonner is full on playoff mode. I'm scared to think what he'll actually do in the playoffs, probably nothing.

Get the minutes...

Stringer_Bell
03-28-2011, 10:09 PM
While I admire Bonner's work ethic and guts, NBA teams have no respect for him. At all. They bulldoze him in the paint and don't expect shit out of him, which is why he gets away with 3s and those floaters he throws up sometimes. Often, I find him running out there running rotations (late, might I add) like a mentally challenged child who has no idea where he's going.

I don't care if he spreads the floor anymore, Hill/Neal/Novak/Jefferson/TP (occassionally) can worry about making 3s while our front-court takes charge of the paint.

Cessation
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Get the minutes...

I meant doing nothing, while getting minutes, lol.

Pauleta14
03-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I hate him for making me hope (thanks to his crazy 3/4 of the season) that he had changed and became "reliable"!!!!

At least now there isn't any doubts nor hopes about what to expect from him during the PO...

ps/ The same thread should be done about RJ and I have a very bad feeling about Neal...