PDA

View Full Version : Dear Pop no mind games please for "C"sakes start Tiago now till Duncan back.

Rummpd
03-23-2011, 08:07 AM
I have a bad feeling going forward about the next 2-3 weeks, not because I think the Spurs willl crash to a 2nd seed, but Splitter needs the time to develop for the playoffs.

Foremost, I absolutely do not want Pop to go back to starting either Bonner (especially) or Blair (who is still potentially nursing a mild wrist injury) after two reasonably effective performances in a row by Splitter and several more during the season when during erratic playing time he at least played with some "stones," taking charges and filling the paint. Furthermore, in the playoffs Blair, Bonner, and Splitter will all be reserves but the first big off the bench in many situations (depending on matchups) should absolutely be Splitter - so he needs substantial time on the floor with the first unit during the last 12 games.

Splitter may have some ups and downs but is the only reasonable choice IMO to start going forward till Duncan comes back; and needs to also get as much, if not more minutes than Blair did in his previous roll. Even if it was agaist the GS 10 and 14 is better than some centers ever due in the NBA career. Moreover, despite some limitations, his overall savy defense has led to about 15 offensive charges and his pick and roll game with Manu and passes to the three shooters showed he can at least bring something the Spurs miss sans Duncan, that Blair and Bonner cannot and will not going forward.

Somehow I am not confident though that Pop will not pull some kind of switch and the worst case would be starting Bonnner, if he goes away from Splitter for any reason I could plausubily live with Blair, as long as Splitter gets at least 15-20 minutes on a regular basis.

(How confident are you Pop will play the last 12 games, at least on a reasonable basis, Mr. Splitter?)

20beastie45
03-23-2011, 08:24 AM
first

hater
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Starting Splitter would be the safer bet. Cause if he sucks just sit his ass down. But if you bring him off the bench and need to sit him right away you already fucked up your rotations.

Splitter vs. Nene Brazilian duel will be nice to watch.

Frenzy
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
If any thing...he needs a chance. Give tiago a chance!!!

Let me ask you this spur fans... how much time do you give tiago to "get ready" before you pull the plug? Lets say tiago is out on the court just sucking...how long before you say...screw this tiago sucks. Few min a game? A few games? What..

hater
03-23-2011, 08:31 AM
but let's get real McDyess/Blair is starting. Book it

yavozerb
03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Tiago will produce as long as he does not get into foul trouble. To me that is the biggest concern over the next few weeks.

Juggity
03-23-2011, 08:55 AM
We're not going to lose HCA, so don't waste your time agonizing over that. I definitely do agree that Tiago ought to start now given the absence of Duncan and his improved performances in recent games — as somebody else said if he sucks, Pop can just pull him, but the potential for him to be good may make up somewhat for Duncan's absence if Splitter proves he can consistently perform.

Muser
03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Well we really don't want Blair/Bonner together for a long period of time so you either start any combination of Splitter/McDyess with Blair/Bonner.

silverblk mystix
03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I say the primary thing is to give Tiago as many minutes as he can handle before fouling out...

It is absolutely imperative that Tiago gets his wind in time for the playoffs--only then will he be able to help the spurs in the playoffs...

But-knowing Pop---Pop will fuck this up and play Tiago very FEW minutes in favor of fuckin' Matt " chokejob" Bonner...

then when Tiago gets garbage minutes and looks gassed--then Pop can just say Tiago's not ready and bench him again when TD returns.

Rummpd
03-23-2011, 09:06 AM

I fear the above nightmare scenario will be proven all too true.

JonNOKC
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
I fear the above nightmare scenario will be proven all too true.

Actually may not be bad to start Bonner or Blair with Dice or if Blair is healthy move Dice back to bench for now and start Splitter/Blair - like the other posts said the Bonner/Blair combo just doesn't work at all as far as defense is concerned. Splitter is your only true center now and Dice is only other big capable of decent defense against post big (we have Nene, Aldridge, and M Gasol /Randolph all before TD returns)

Rummpd
03-23-2011, 09:19 AM
I feel one (and preferrably two!) of Blair, Splitter or Dice need to be on the floor at all times - the biggest weakness of Spurs is rebounding, and at this point, Novak (who at least tries hard on both sides and battles inside and out) is outplaying Bonner so I would rather ride that horse more than Bonner but knowing Pop the exact opposite will occur.
If I see Bonner and four players under 6'7 out there (which is basicaly Blair/Bonner for more than spot minutes); I might throw a remote through my relatively new plasma screen in absolute disgust.

A good lineup might well be Splitter, and Blair or Novak for spot minutes rather than Bonner as well, but again, probably not going to happen with Pop when the game is on the line.

hater
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
I think you are overrating Splitter. Often times Splitter gets completely lost and often times is not much of an improvement defensively over Bonner. But I agree rarely he looks pretty decent.
Minutes should be shared in the following priority:
1. McDyess
2. Blair
3. Bonner/Splitter (depending on how bad they fuck up their assignments)

Rummpd
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I think you are overrating Splitter. Often times Splitter gets completely lost and often times is not much of an improvement defensively over Bonner. But I agree rarely he looks pretty decent.
1. McDyess
2. Blair

Respect your opinion highly but Splitter actually has been fairly effective when given a chance = which is the problem. You bring a Spanish MVP over here and an accomplished international player and he rides the pine. Now that the Spurs basically have seeding wrapped up to not play him would be sublime IMO.

Bonner does deserve some time but not a lot until he finds his shot and mojo again, I would rather play out the hand of Novak whom I have seen in person 2x and who plays harder on defense than I have ever seen Bonner play and IMO is also (seemingly) quicker and more skilled, at least in terms of a quicker release and a better mid-range jumper. Bonner at his best is a valuable asset but he is not there right now and Pop indirectly blasted him and the bench. IMO if Bonner takes more than 5 threes without hitting more than 2 put him on the bench and leave him there for the rest of the game unless other bigs in foul trouble.

Russ
03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Pop tends to start the guy who won't mess up the rotation. In other words, he doesn't start the back up, he starts the benchwarmer (Tiago).

Hopefully, this will continue and Tiago will thrive. Then even Pop won't be able to deny Tiago his minutes once Tim comes back. :toast

DocDoc
03-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Pop will start Splinter so he doesn't have to mess with his normal rotations.

Mel_13
03-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Splitter and Dice will start. Book it.

5in10
03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Pop will start Splinter so he doesn't have to mess with his normal rotations.

this. He wants blair and bonner to get comfortable coming off the bench.

Blake
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
"C" sakes?

moisaenz
03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
The reason I would prefer Splitter to start is so he can learn when to be aggressive and when not to.. We know he can perform but he gets into foul trouble so soon that he has to sit. He needs to know when to foul and when he needs to let his opponent get the easy basket. Sometimes I think he gets dumb fouls because he is trying to do more than he needs to like reaching in.He has never been known for steals so why try now.

Blake
03-23-2011, 11:32 AM
I'd love to see Splitter consistently get 30 minutes a game the rest of the way if for nothing else, conditioning.

He looked like he was going to keel over at the end of the GS game the other night.

Dex
03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
"C" sakes?

Jesus H. Christ

JonNOKC
03-23-2011, 12:09 PM
this. He wants blair and bonner to get comfortable coming off the bench.

They seem quite comfortable playing together - of course so is our opponent as they waltz to the basket for layup/dunk parade or just throw it in to any average post player who feels completely comfortable tossing the ball into the basket

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
1. McDyess
2. Blair

Idiocy.

DesignatedT
03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
As someone said above. A Dice.Blair starting lineup would actually be good since it would prevent the Bonner/Blair 2nd unit that we all loathe.

JustinJDW
03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
We have a seven game lead guys with tweleve games to go. It would take an abosolute complete late season meltodwn for them to loose this seed, amd when do the Spurs ever have that late in the Seasons?

BRs.Ganso
03-23-2011, 12:24 PM
The reason I would prefer Splitter to start is so he can learn when to be aggressive and when not to.. We know he can perform but he gets into foul trouble so soon that he has to sit. He needs to know when to foul and when he needs to let his opponent get the easy basket. Sometimes I think he gets dumb fouls because he is trying to do more than he needs to like reaching in.He has never been known for steals so why try now.

that's the point ....

He wants defend all, he have a lot of energy!

In this last games, I saw Splitter get fouls When He Was Trying to fill spaces left by their teammates, it should not try to get offensive fouls, but leave the opponent a complete a easier basket.

duncan228
03-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Tiago Splitter, your time is now (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/23/tiago-splitter-your-time-is-now/)
Kurt Helin

Tiago Splitter has come along slowly this season. More slowly than one expects of a guy who was the best center in Europe the past couple seasons to come along. He came to San Antonio with fanfare and was expected to be the guy Tim Duncan has needed with him up front,. Instead he has played sparingly.

He had a calf injury in training camp that set him back. He has only played in 70 percent of the team’s games, averaging 11 minutes and 4.2 points per game. He has at times seemed confused by the offense and struggled to learn how to defend in the NBA (compared to Europe where he could be more physical). He has not been terrible — his PER of 15.1 is right at the league average — but the adjustment to the NBA game has been a challenge.

Now he will be thrown into the fire. Now he will be tested. While the Spurs have their eyes set on the playoffs Splitter is getting his chance now.

With Tim Duncan out for a while (a week, three weeks?) due to a sprained ankle that has him on crutches, Splitter will be the Spurs starter.

He did that the other night in Charlotte and looked solid if not spectacular. Splitter got the bulk of minutes against Golden State after Duncan went down and he finished with 10 points and 14 boards.

When asked about him early in the season, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said that Splitter was much more blue collar than people thought. With a history of big men out of Europe like Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol we are conditioned to expect one thing, but the Brazilian Splitter was more a grind it out guy.

The Spurs could use that. Now and in the playoffs. His teammate and fellow South American Manu Ginobili told the News Express (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/22/splitter-facing-critical-stretch-run/) he has confidence Splitter will step up.

“As I said a million times, he’s a good player,” Ginobili said. “He’s just got to be out there and feel confident and know the team trusts him. That’s what happened to me, what happens to everyone who comes here for the first time.”

Splitter’s time is now. The good thing about his experience is that he comes in knowing what he can and can’t do, what his limitations are, and he has learned how to fit his game in the NBA.

“I’m not Tim Duncan,” Splitter said. “I’m just the new guy here who wants to help the team.”

That’s a very Spurs-like attitude. He may do just fine.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/23/tiago-splitter-your-time-is-now/

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 12:36 PM
The Bonner/Blair lineup wouldn't be that bad except that it's wielded like a blunt instrument. Pop likes to put his gadget lineups into the game with no consideration for matchups, and Bonner/Blair is the worst because it's a rotation lineup that he puts in on a schedule, so it's completely hit or miss. If used properly, a Bonner/Blair/RJ/Manu/Parker lineup is probably the best fastbreak lineup the Spurs have.

benefactor
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Often times Splitter gets completely lost and often times is not much of an improvement defensively over Bonner.
5hfYJsQAhl0

Blake
03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Jesus H. Christ

thanks for the clarification.

Was actually wondering why in a thread title with 14 full words that the op didn't want to squeeze in the 15th word.

ChumpDumper
03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Tiago playing time thread!

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Tiago playing time thread!

Still not too late for a DNP-CD.

BackHome
03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I have a bad feeling going forward about the next 2-3 weeks, not because I think the Spurs willl crash to a 2nd seed, but Splitter needs the time to develop for the playoffs.

Foremost, I absolutely do not want Pop to go back to starting either Bonner (especially) or Blair (who is still potentially nursing a mild wrist injury) after two reasonably effective performances in a row by Splitter and several more during the season when during erratic playing time he at least played with some "stones," taking charges and filling the paint. Furthermore, in the playoffs Blair, Bonner, and Splitter will all be reserves but the first big off the bench in many situations (depending on matchups) should absolutely be Splitter - so he needs substantial time on the floor with the first unit during the last 12 games.

Splitter may have some ups and downs but is the only reasonable choice IMO to start going forward till Duncan comes back; and needs to also get as much, if not more minutes than Blair did in his previous roll. Even if it was agaist the GS 10 and 14 is better than some centers ever due in the NBA career. Moreover, despite some limitations, his overall savy defense has led to about 15 offensive charges and his pick and roll game with Manu and passes to the three shooters showed he can at least bring something the Spurs miss sans Duncan, that Blair and Bonner cannot and will not going forward.

Somehow I am not confident though that Pop will not pull some kind of switch and the worst case would be starting Bonnner, if he goes away from Splitter for any reason I could plausubily live with Blair, as long as Splitter gets at least 15-20 minutes on a regular basis.

(How confident are you Pop will play the last 12 games, at least on a reasonable basis, Mr. Splitter?)

Nice writting..........I think and hope that Pop will see the light and give Splitter steady minutes meaning no knee jerk pullings. We need for him to be in game shape and to be confident playing within the team. I am also hoping that he lets Manu get a couple of days off and get Anderson in the mix from his limited time playing he has done a real good job on offense and so so on defense......and if Bonner is not hitting the three put in his skinny brother Cowboy/Novacaine that guy has a sweet stoke..!!

Ps. Have to say this TONY is playing the best ball I have ever seen him play! The dude is bringing it and if he keeps playing this way we will get a ring!

Seventyniner
03-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Would Pop start Splitter only tonight because he's practiced against Nene so often?

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
You guys need to be prepared for the possibility that Splitter plays pretty well until Duncan gets back and then gets dropped back into DNP-CD hell. I still have dreams of Twin Towers MK II, but they're bordering on pipe dreams, and I'm aware of that fact. :)

Mel_13
03-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Splitter and Dice will start. Book it.

Rookie Tiago Splitter will earn his second start of the season tonight as Duncan’s replacement.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/23/duncan-to-miss-4-or-5-games/

spurspokesman
03-23-2011, 09:41 PM

We shall see

spurspokesman
03-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Missing layups already

Rummpd
03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Danke Shon
Gracias
Merci