PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose winning an MVP would be a travesty

ChrisRichards
03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
He's shooting a shitty 44% from the field. He's going to be the most flawed offensive MVP player in its history since the modern era if he wins this. This is going to be a huge joke. Its a scam just like Iverson winning it over Shaq in 01.

Give this MVP award to Lebron James, because Lebron is the best and MVP in the league (See Cleveland's record). Rose winning it is going to be a huge joke just like Kobe making All NBA Defense teams for the past 8 yrs.

I can't stand this anymore. The media has ruined the prestige of all these awards.

Giuseppe
03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Calf tats & MVP:::six of one, half dozen of the other.

ambchang
03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Lebron isn't even the MVP of his own team.

ChrisRichards
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Of course he is. He missed a few clutch shots, but who hasn't in Miami? Wade is the leader but Lebron is the MVP there no doubt.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Rose>LeBron

ChrisRichards
03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Rose>LeBron
I see who doesn't watch basketball games here.

Reck
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
lmao a Heat fan demanding an MVP award for someone that's not even guy#1 on his team.

redzero
03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Rose>LeBron

Hell no.

Hell yes he is.

Kyle Orton
03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I agree Lebron >>> Rose, but the MVP is a regular season award. Rose has done more with less than Lebron.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 11:20 AM
I see who doesn't watch basketball games here.

I see who believes a lame ass :cry season from a player deserves the award when another player as been equally as good and probably believes Lebron deserves it because he has the ball in his hands 75% of the time who runs a terrible half court offense...despite having a high assist average.

I like Lebron's game, I've been a fan for some time, but Rose as the only big time star on the Bulls (compared to 3 in Miami) is taking that team to an unexpected level, and he's still improving. Lebron won the last 2, deservedly so, but I think Rose makes a strong case, stronger than Lebron in Miami. Their (Miami's) own expectations back in the summer and fall = championship.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
For the record, to clarify, when I said Rose>Lebron, I meant in the regard to this thread...who deserves MVP more. Lebron is still obviously the superior player.

manufan10
03-23-2011, 11:33 AM
If LeBron James won the MVP, now that would be the real travesty. No way LeBron deserves to be MVP. Just because Cleveland sucks now, doesn't make LeBron James is the league MVP. Look at the struggles and crying of the Miami Heat. I think Rose has done the better job, and he has less talent around him. He also has his team with a better record than the Heat. Rose is definitely the MVP over LeBron.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
If LeBron James won the MVP, now that would be the real travesty. No way LeBron deserves to be MVP. Just because Cleveland sucks now, doesn't make LeBron James is the league MVP. Look at the struggles and crying of the Miami Heat. I think Rose has done the better job, and he has less talent around him. He also has his team with a better record than the Heat. Rose is definitely the MVP over LeBron.

:tu

MVPs don't cry like bitches, and quite frankly all 3 of the Big 3 are guilty and none deserve the award..obviously not Bosh for tons of reasons.

Rose makes a stronger case. Does anyone else think someone else deserves it, who are we overlooking?

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Earlier in MVP discussions, I didn't give much thought to Rose simply because he is new to the MVP mix. However, the MVP award usually goes to the best player on the best regular season team, or one right up there. Also, the Bulls are having a turnaround year, and that factors in.

Logically, Manu or Dirk deserve a look for team records and the fact Dallas started losing when Nowitzki went down to injury. However, I don't see them much in the discussions. Durant has an outside shot, won't finish as high as expeted pre-season.

LeBron and Kobe both have a chance, and the final games may decide. Both the Heat and the Lakers have a good shot at winning the rest of their games.

At the very least, the balloting should be close, especially from #2 on down.

j.dizzle
03-23-2011, 11:43 AM
This forum was better when you were missing in action tbh. Chicago 3>0 vs Miami this season.

manufan10
03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
:tu

MVPs don't cry like bitches, and quite frankly all 3 of the Big 3 are guilty and none deserve the award..obviously not Bosh for tons of reasons.

Rose makes a stronger case. Does anyone else think someone else deserves it, who are we overlooking?

I think Dirk should probably be in the discussion. With no real #2 option behind him, and how they struggled when he was out, I'd give consideration to Dirk.

Obviously, Kobe will be in the discussion, but in the end I think it will be either Rose or Dirk.

Edit: Daddy of all Trolls beat me to it.

Pelicans78
03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Kobe is ahead of Lebron IMO.

Booharv
03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I found this article from John Hollinger a while back to be quite good tbqh

Ask somebody about this season's Chicago Bulls, and the answer you'll get is likely to be something along the lines of "DerrickRoseDerrickRoseDerrickRoseDerrickRose."

Not to diminish what Rose has accomplished in what's been a breakout season for the third-year star, but the focus on his season has left the Bulls one of the most misunderstood teams in basketball. Chicago has the league's fifth-best record and is challenging for the top seed in the East for several reasons, and other than Rose, those reasons have received comparatively little attention. So let's look a little closer.

It's the defense.

From one perspective, the focus on the point guard's offensive accomplishments seems misguided. The Bulls have the league's 16th-best offense this season, and although that might improve a little in the second half of the season with Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah back from injury, offense will remain a distant second on the list of reasons for Chicago's success.

Instead, the Bulls are winning with a suffocating defense that allows their very ordinary offense to be enough on most nights. Chicago is No. 1 in defensive efficiency, an accomplishment made more amazing by the fact that Noah, the team's defensive stalwart, has missed just more than half of its games (30 of 59).

But it's important to understand the Bulls as an extreme defensive team to understand their success. You often hear, sometimes in praise of Rose's offensive prowess, people wondering aloud about how the Bulls can be playing so well with Keith Bogans at shooting guard and only two good scorers.

The answer is that, offensively, they're not playing so well. They're just so awesome on defense that it doesn't matter.

And in particular, it's been the supporting cast that's been dominant defensively. Speaking of which …

It's the bench.

Chicago's defensive stats with its starters in the game are pretty good. But with the bench? They're ridiculously good.

The Bulls give up just more than a point per possession with any of their five starters on the court, but with the second unit, it's a different story. When Taj Gibson is on the floor, opponents score .994 points per trip. When Ronnie Brewer plays, they muster just .956. When C.J. Watson plays, the number drops to .938.

And with Omer Asik on the court, it's a phenomenal .919 points per possession. Asik, not Rose, is the team leader in plus/minus, even though he has limited offensive skills and a player efficiency rating of 11.35. The backup center is a force as a shot-blocker and help defender, combining with Gibson to form what is, hands down, the best second-unit defensive frontcourt in basketball.

Nobody thinks of Asik as a dominating defensive player because he has a fairly thin build and limited offensive skills, plus it's hard to consider somebody an intimidating presence when he looks like the chef from "Ratatouille." But trust me, he's a monster. This time, instead of hearing me rave about Asik's D again, listen to his coaches.

"When you put he and Taj out there together, the defense of that unit has been great," Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said. "That's his mindset, and he's got a lot of experience. It's international experience, so, in my eyes, he's not a typical rookie. He's very, very bright, picks things up quickly, rarely makes the same mistake twice and [has] great drive, a great worker."

Yet Thibodeau sounds like a rank pessimist compared with assistant coach Ron Adams.

"I think he can be as good as any defensive player in this league," Adams said. "Defensively, I just think he's top-of-the-line. And he's getting close to it already."

Of course, it's not just the rook -- Asik is playing only 11.7 minutes per game, so as dominant as he's been defensively, he explains only a portion of Chicago's improved D.

Gibson, as Thibodeau mentioned, also has been a major factor. So has Brewer, with his perimeter ball hawking, and of course Noah. But perhaps the best attribute of Chicago's defense is that, other than Boozer, there really hasn't been a weak link. Rose was a poor defender under Vinny Del Negro but has improved dramatically this season, and Kyle Korver -- the closest thing to a weakness on the perimeter -- has good size and is a quality team defender.

On the other hand, a lot of these guys were on far less successful defensive teams in the past. The Bulls were good defensively a year ago, but by no means great. Boozer, Korver and Brewer were all part of mediocre defensive teams in Utah, with Brewer washing out as a defensive stopper. Watson participated in a woeful Golden State defense and appeared to be no better than his peers, and Bogans and Kurt Thomas have been mostly bit players.

Which takes us to the next logical conclusion …

It's the coach.

Yes, Thibodeau's stuff works. The top defensive assistant in Boston, he was the architect of the Celtics' system that won a title in 2008 and has largely stymied opponents ever since. In fact, you can argue that Thibodeau owns the top two defenses in the game -- the Bulls are first in defensive efficiency, and the Celtics are second.

Before coming to Boston, Thibodeau was Jeff Van Gundy's defensive guru in Houston, where he posted similarly gaudy defensive stats despite some teams that appear to be rather modestly talented in that department.

Sum it all up, and there's a fairly ironclad coach of the year case to be made for Thibodeau, especially given the injuries to Boozer and Noah that Chicago has overcome this season. That doesn't mean he'll win, not when Gregg Popovich has the Spurs en route to a mid-60s win total, Rick Carlisle is squeezing just as much out of the Mavs and Doug Collins is leading the Sixers to a surprise playoff charge.

But the Bulls' collective success is best understood as a combination of a great defensive concept being implemented by a 10-deep roster, one on which the bench is even more suffocating than the starters.

Rose's plays fill the highlight film, and for good reason -- many of them are spectacular. But in explaining how shockingly good Chicago has been thus far, all that takes a backseat. Rose might be the savior on offense, but in explaining the Bulls' success this season, the holy trinity is the D, the bench and the coach.

Booharv
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Basically, the Bulls are winning with defense (#1 efficiency) and Derrick Rose has the worst defensive plus/minus on the team: The Bulls give up 10.4 more points per possession when he's on the court than when he's off.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10CHI3.HTM#onoff

baseline bum
03-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Dwight Howard should be MVP, but the media anointed Rose months ago. It's not Dwight's fault his GM has shit for brains.

Pelicans78
03-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I agree that Rose's importance is a bit overstated, but right now I'm fine with him getting the MVP.

IronMexican
03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Dwight Howard should be MVP, but the media anointed Rose months ago. It's not Dwight's fault his GM has shit for brains.

It's hard to give a guy who has his team in 4th place in the East the award. He's probably been the best player this season, though.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Earlier in MVP discussions, I didn't give much thought to Rose simply because he is new to the MVP mix. However, the MVP award usually goes to the best player on the best regular season team, or one right up there. Also, the Bulls are having a turnaround year, and that factors in.

Logically, Manu or Dirk deserve a look for team records and the fact Dallas started losing when Nowitzki went down to injury. However, I don't see them much in the discussions. Durant has an outside shot, won't finish as high as expeted pre-season.

LeBron and Kobe both have a chance, and the final games may decide. Both the Heat and the Lakers have a good shot at winning the rest of their games.

At the very least, the balloting should be close, especially from #2 on down.

If the Mavs kept it up a little more, Dirk would be right up there IMO. Manu doesn't really deserve a shot IMO simply because the Spurs are doing well for a variety of reasons, and all of their big 3 are equally important to that team. Besides, Manu only started the season in dominating fashion, but Parker has been far more consistent.

I think Rose, who's team is #1 in the east, with no other big stars on his team (Boozer is a hell of a player, closest you get), makes the best case. Imagine if Lebron made the smart choice and went to Chicago :wow

ChrisRichards
03-23-2011, 12:02 PM
I was against this before, but you know what? You'e right. If not Lebron then at least give Dwight the MVP. Enough of this "If you're not on a top 2 team you're not going to win MVP" BS.

Seriously, Rose to me is not any better than Brandon Roy when he was healthy. Rose is not better than Wade, Lebron or Dwight. He's slightly better than Kobe at this point but I don't see any reason why he should get the MVP this year. I credit Thibodeau and Luol Deng coming back to life. Rose is pretty exciting but he's not the main reason the Bulls made this turnaround.

Pelicans78
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
To be honest, Lebron would need Chicago more than Chicago needs him. Honestly, put a elite SG who can shoot next to Rose, the Bulls would be even better. I think Lebron would take away from Rose. The Bulls may be better with Lebron now, but they would be even better if they had a SG like Joe Johnson who can shoot from the perimeter, especially since Rose can penetrate as good as anyone.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I agree that Rose's importance is a bit overstated, but right now I'm fine with him getting the MVP.

I agree, he's not as a clear cut choice like Lebron was in the past with Cleveland, but he's the strongest candidate nonetheless. There are a lot of factors contributing to the Bulls success, as someone already pointed out, defense is a big one, and the coaching as well. They also have a very solid group of supporters and the front court is one of the best in the league (Deng, Boozer, Noah). But you're gonna have arguments like these for any candidate....except with Lebron last year playing with a bunch of scrubs.

Another reason Manu or any other sole Spur deserves it....the Spurs success this year can be attributed to a ton of factors.

Venti Quattro
03-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Maybe it helps Rose's case that he has been the constant presence in Chicago since Noah and Boozer has been in an out of the season.

ChrisRichards
03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
To be honest, Lebron would need Chicago more than Chicago needs him.
If Chicago wants to win another championship then they need a guy like Lebron. Rose can give them guaranteed playoff appearances but they're not going to win a championship with Rose as the main focal point.

Check the past championship teams rfor the last 20 years.

Magic
Bird
Shaq
Olajuwon
Duncan
Kobe
Pierce
Jordan

Billups was the anomaly, but other than that, I don't think Rose will be on any of those guys level.

Pelicans78
03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
The real question is who's coach of the year. Pop or Thibs? I'm going with Pops, but Thibs has done a fantastic job. Too bad he turned the Hornets even though they offered him more money than the Bulls.

ChrisRichards
03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
The real question is who's coach of the year. Pop or Thibs? I'm going with Pops, but Thibs has done a fantastic job. Too bad he turned the Hornets even though they offered him more money than the Bulls.
Thibs. This Chicago success has Thibs written all over it.

Pelicans78
03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
If Chicago wants to win another championship then they need a guy like Lebron. Rose can give them guaranteed playoff appearances but they're not going to win a championship with Rose as the main focal point.

Magic
Bird
Shaq
Olajuwon
Duncan
Kobe
Pierce
Jordan

Billups was the anomaly, but other than that, I don't think Rose will be on any of those guys level.

He has alot of potential. He's still very young. He would be a senior in college right now. He has superior athleticism and he's improving as perimeter shooting. Again, I can't put Lebron on those guys level either. He doesn't have a reliable go-to move to score late in games, doesn't have a reliable mid-range game, post-game, or perimeter game. Again, I'm not sure if Lebron could lead this team to a championship because he hasn't proven to consistently take over games late against elite teams. He's a great regular season player and puts up monster stats, but can he win a game 4 at Boston with a hook shot at the buzzer, or a Game 1 Finals on a pull-up jumper, etc.

Venti Quattro
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Thibodeau is the runaway COY this year. SA's success has been largely in part of their health and an emergence of a shock troop. Pop's coaching has been always there.

ChrisRichards
03-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Hornets78, I think Lebron has what it takes, but one guy can only do so much. People don;t remember all of LBJ's heroics? The GW shot against Orlando? His historic ECF 48 point performance against the Pistons in 2007? Carrying the pathetic ass Cleveland Cavaliers with Larry Hughes as his second option to the Finals?

Jordan's career was eerily similar to Lebron before Pippen and Ho Grant grew some balls. The Bulls were being pummelled repeatedly by the Pistons too. Problem is Lebron quit on the Cavs a season too early IMO.

Cry Havoc
03-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Dirk is way underrated in the MVP race this year. There's a shot that the Mavs would be in contention for the #1 seed out West if he doesn't go down with that injury.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
No disrespect to whoever wins, but Nate McMillian deserves a mention for always having to work through countless injuries. Last year, he was deserving a well.

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I see who believes a lame ass :cry season from a player deserves the award when another player as been equally as good and probably believes Lebron deserves it because he has the ball in his hands 75% of the time who runs a terrible half court offense...despite having a high assist average.

I like Lebron's game, I've been a fan for some time, but Rose as the only big time star on the Bulls (compared to 3 in Miami) is taking that team to an unexpected level, and he's still improving. Lebron won the last 2, deservedly so, but I think Rose makes a strong case, stronger than Lebron in Miami. Their (Miami's) own expectations back in the summer and fall = championship.

alvarez is on the money. If it went to the best player then Kobe would have more than 1 ...if it went to the most dominant player Lebron would going fo r the 3 peat no doubt about it. But as you pointed out the media sometimes rewards players for "imapct" (Nash) they pick someone else because of "fatigue" (Malone) and sometimes they give it to someome becaus ethey have been ignored for too long (Shaq, kobe, KG) or because they have been the most dominant player on a team that over achieves record-wise (Iverson, Dirk and this year probably rose).

I dont see why if MJ Shaq or Kobe could get snubbed when they were the most dominant player why can't Lebron? Great player one of the most dominant players I have seen ...but he aint GOD.

hater
03-23-2011, 12:50 PM

3rd wheels are not considered for MVP

/thread

Rummpd
03-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Whatever your rankings Dirk deserves more cred by the media - Dallas is an 80% team with him and about a 50% without.

TampaDude
03-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Kobe is ahead of Lebron IMO.

Kobe is the better shooter, but LeBron is the more complete player.

Kobe has rung, though, and LeBron has not. :toast

Jt.ONE
03-23-2011, 02:26 PM
it is without a doubt, rose

comparing the teams and their records, it's nonsense to say otherwise

namlook
03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
It doesn't matter who wins regular season MVP anymore. The MVP award has already been irreversibly tarnished when Nash won two. Finals MVP is the most important award.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Magic
Bird
Shaq
Olajuwon
Duncan
Kobe
Pierce
Jordan

Whether or not this is true doesn't really affect this particular argument...the regular season MVP. See: LeBron and the Cavaliers. They weren't gonna win a championship either, yet LeBron was hands down the clear cut MVP of the league in those years he won it.

JamStone
03-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Rose is a deserving winner if he gets it. But I do think it's more well earned after a player has made his mark in the playoffs. I'd like to see Rose lead his team deep in the playoffs before winning an MVP. I know that's not a requirement to win and I know it's a regular season award, but that's just my opinion. I like seeing players earn their stripes before getting honored with an MVP. That said, I think he has a great chance to win it and I don't have a big problem with it.

Dirk is probably Rose's biggest competition, but I do think the way the Lakers have been rolling lately and if they continue to do so, Kobe has put his name back in the conversation. If the Lakers end up with a better record than Chicago, I think that might give some voters reason to give Kobe the nod, along with what I mentioned about Rose earning his stripes in the playoffs. Earlier this year, I would have given it to LeBron. But I think how the season has unfolded, despite his great statistical argument for the MVP, I think LeBron has become a tired personality to a lot of people outside of Miami and that that perception might hurt his campaign for a third MVP.

03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I know I'm not ready to put rose in the same category as lebron, wade, prime kobe, prime dirk, prime duncan, prime shaq, and even howard. Even nash's MVP years were slightly better than rose right now.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Rose is a deserving winner if he gets it. But I do think it's more well earned after a player has made his mark in the playoffs. I'd like to see Rose lead his team deep in the playoffs before winning an MVP. I know that's not a requirement to win and I know it's a regular season award, but that's just my opinion. I like seeing players earn their stripes before getting honored with an MVP. That said, I think he has a great chance to win it and I don't have a big problem with it.

Dirk is probably Rose's biggest competition, but I do think the way the Lakers have been rolling lately and if they continue to do so, Kobe has put his name back in the conversation. If the Lakers end up with a better record than Chicago, I think that might give some voters reason to give Kobe the nod, along with what I mentioned about Rose earning his stripes in the playoffs. Earlier this year, I would have given it to LeBron. But I think how the season has unfolded, despite his great statistical argument for the MVP, I think LeBron has become a tired personality to a lot of people outside of Miami and that that perception might hurt his campaign for a third MVP.

I considered Kobe for a moment also, but then I remembered he plays with Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom (6 man of year), and a great bench. In any case, I think the MVP award has to be better defined by the league, make it more well known what the criteria is. Because if you interpret it as the best player in the league...that's one legitimate interpretation of many. And then there is most valuable to that player's team, which is also held as the criteria by many. They are separate things.

Kobe has been having a great season, but IMO his team is way too stacked for him to win an MVP if it's interpreted how many of us are doing so in this thread. If we interpret the award purely considering who is the most valuable player to their specific team, I can't see how Dirk isn't the blatant #1 choice.

With Rose, there are some other factors. Either way, if Chicago keeps up this success and the core of the team for another few years, I don't see how Rose won't win it next year or the year after that, if he doesn't win this year.

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Personally I hope Kobe gets another Finals MVP instead of a regular season one ...heck if "we" win It could be Pau, Odom or artest who cares?
As for Bron tough call. He obviously is the most dominant player when he is rolling. As amazing as he has been at times, usually the MVP steps up in the big games and comes up huge in the clutch ...in both Laker games it seems Wade and Bosh were the story same with the win over the spurs. Plus if you apply the Kobe has Pau/Odom/Bynum argument that hurts Lebron even more.
But for me the reason, i would put rose over Lebron (MVP only) is different. I just have set the bar so high for him that as IMPRESSIVE as he has been stat wise ...Im still waiting for him to go HAM to take that next level, to get his game back to the ECF vs. Pistons level and beyond.
Until he does or leads his team to a title tough for me to consider the MVP or even the unquestioned best player in the game ...even though I know he is or should be. Lebron's cieling should be a a combo Magic/MJ and for my tastes he doesnt give me enough of either.
But read what I just typed again Lebron has the talent and the gifts to be a combo of MJ/MAgic ... that is why some of us judge him harshly. but if and when he rings that changes it for himself and everyone else. but he needs to win and win multiples. Sure some will say it's Wade's team and that maybe true ...but Lebron is playing for bigger stakes TBH ...he is playing for a chance at GOAT status.

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 03:53 PM
+1

With what Lebron has, his size, athleticism, talent...with pure dedication to the game, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able tot contend for GOAT status. His jumper is just way too inconsistent, and although he already works on it all the time most likely, it still doesn't show. Disappointing. A lot of his potential success is also limited by the mental side of the game..in game, and preparation. But that's just my opinion on the mental aspect, and it's something Kobe and MJ obviously don't lack.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
03-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I considered Kobe for a moment also, but then I remembered he plays with Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom (6 man of year), and a great bench. In any case, I think the MVP award has to be better defined by the league, make it more well known what the criteria is. Because if you interpret it as the best player in the league...that's one legitimate interpretation of many. And then there is most valuable to that player's team, which is also held as the criteria by many. They are separate things.

Kobe has been having a great season, but IMO his team is way too stacked for him to win an MVP if it's interpreted how many of us are doing so in this thread. If we interpret the award purely considering who is the most valuable player to their specific team, I can't see how Dirk isn't the blatant #1 choice.

With Rose, there are some other factors. Either way, if Chicago keeps up this success and the core of the team for another few years, I don't see how Rose won't win it next year or the year after that, if he doesn't win this year.
MVP history: http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/mvp.html

Your post reminds me of many of the reasons Bill Russell is vastly overrated nowadays. If you look carefully at Chamberlain and Russell and their team records, player stats, and MVP votes, you will see the following:

1) Player stats stayed consistent, year to year
2) Team records varied tremendously. Matter of fact, the worse Wilt's teams did, the fewer votes he received! Chamberlain didn't start really winning the MVP until his Sixers started getting a better record than Boston.

Yes, Kobe has a stacked team, exactly as Russell did; what, 4 hall of famers and 4 NBA top 50 at 50 years? No other team had close to that. C'mon, that explains the 11 titles. Kobe was a better player 2005 to 2007 than today but didn't win MVP because of Lakers poor team record. Lakers had 2nd best record in 2008 and Boston with the better record had 3 superstars to split the votes, so Kobe got it. Chris Paul was in the hunt for turning New Orleans around, but that was his first breakout year, Kobe had been impressing for awhile and thus got the votes. LeBron truly deserved it the last two years, and the Cavs' record iced it.

Although the Lakers recent surge in their regular season results is putting Kobe back in the conversation, Derrick Rose has a similar record and the huge improvement in the Bulls results this year on his side. See Oscar Robertson's MVP season. They won a lot more games and that gave the Big-O the honor. Edge goes to Rose, it's his MVP award to lose. I also think the media wants to hype Chicago, a franchise nearly everyone remembers for constant greatness. They want to hype the Knicks as well, but their best years started in 1970 and ended in 1973. Finals appearances in 1994 and 1999, and before that the other years with Ewing, didn't really make a lasting impression.

MVP does not translate to "best players in the league", no matter how you slice it. Sometimes it does reveal the best player, but not always. Rose will probably get the MVP, but all contenders have their own MVP whom without, they wouldn't be in contention.

Po'Boy
03-23-2011, 04:07 PM
MVP is not all about stats. He deserves MVP without a doubt.

ambchang
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Magic
Bird
Shaq
Olajuwon
Duncan
Kobe
Pierce
Jordan

Magic and Bird won more than 20 years ago, and if you are including them, you left out Isiah/Dumars.

At this point, Rose is about as good as Pierce was in 08.

Also, for a Heat fan, I found it curious you left out Wade in this list. 06 Wade is far and away better than 08 Pierce, and comparable to/better than 05 and 07 Duncan/Ginobili/Parker, and 09 and 10 Kobe.

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I love how stat guys hate on rose now ... just like Kobe and ESPECIALLY Iverson. Watch the games people. Rose is amazing.
Not sure he is the MVP I can see both sides of the debate ...but those that say he is not a top 5 player are crazy. And As good as Nash was offensively in his MVP years he was not as good as Rose is this year Nash is an amazing shooter/passer ... but the plays that rose makes in big games demoralizes the opposing defense. his drives and dunks hushes the crowd on the road and incites the ones in chicago. Plus he is improving on defense. That is why stats can never tell the whole story ...sure Lebron is having a better season stats wise (Wade kobe Dwight dirk are too) but watch that last Bulls vs. Heat game in Miami ...and tell me Rose was not the best player when it mattered most?

Zelophehad
03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Basically, the Bulls are winning with defense (#1 efficiency) and Derrick Rose has the worst defensive plus/minus on the team: The Bulls give up 10.4 more points per possession when he's on the court than when he's off.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10CHI3.HTM#onoff

+1 Bulls are winning with their defense, which he's not really a part of. Still a top ten player though.

hitmanyr2k
03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
He's shooting a shitty 44% from the field. He's going to be the most flawed offensive MVP player in its history since the modern era if he wins this. This is going to be a huge joke. Its a scam just like Iverson winning it over Shaq in 01.

He's a 6'2 point guard who gets the kitchen sink thrown at him defensively and has to take the majority of the bail out shots. It's not like he can cherry pick for easy dunks and layups to boost his FG% like Bron and Wade.

Give this MVP award to Lebron James, because Lebron is the best and MVP in the league (See Cleveland's record). Rose winning it is going to be a huge joke just like Kobe making All NBA Defense teams for the past 8 yrs.

I can't stand this anymore. The media has ruined the prestige of all these awards.

Ummmmm no. Lebron made his own bed now he has to lay in it. An attention whore who announces his free agency in a TV special to form a superteam, dances on a stage like a moron claiming shit is going to be easy and then starts out with a .500 record and gets their collective asses kicked by every elite team in the league while beating only crap teams, going on multiple 4+ game losing streaks choking TIME AFTER TIME in the clutch and then crying about in the lockerroom isn't getting the MVP :lol Forget about it. It would be a fucking travesty to give Lebron the award.

I know the league and the dumbass fans have the memory span of a gnat but the Bulls have been steady all season long despite injuries to key players. They haven't lost more than 2 games in a row all season and have kicked every single elite team in the ass. Rose has the numbers, his team is winning at a consistent clip and he's put up the performances to justify it. No problem at all with him being MVP.

Bito Corleone
03-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Give this MVP award to Lebron James, because Lebron is the best and MVP in the league (See Cleveland's record).
Speaking of Cleveland's record, and more specifically the people who bring it up as their primary argument for LeBron for MVP. I love how so many people fail to realize that Maimi's record at the end of this season will be worse than Cleveland's last season. Basically when making this particular argument, you and the others like you, are saying that the players surrounding LeBron this year are in fact worse than those he played with last year. You know, since Bron is responsible for every one of his team's wins and his "supporting cast" are the ones responsible for the losses.

Now, of course LeBron leaving has played a major part in Clevelands downfall, but quit using their record to promote LeBron for MVP. He's not even the Most Valuable Player on his own team.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Meh, the only bigger travesty seems to be to give it to the best player on the best team. Not much chance of that now that he's out. At least the Bulls are in first place in the east now. The MVP is almost always given to the guy that's talked up the most. Dwight Howard seemed like a shoo-in at the beginning of the year. That would have been a bigger travesty than Rose.

hitmanyr2k
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Meh, the only bigger travesty seems to be to give it to the best player on the best team. Not much chance of that now that he's out. At least the Bulls are in first place in the east now. The MVP is almost always given to the guy that's talked up the most. Dwight Howard seemed like a shoo-in at the beginning of the year. That would have been a bigger travesty than Rose.

Dwight Howard was 2nd in MVP buzz to start the season. It was Kevin Durant's to lose especially after the hype of the World Championship games and him being annointed the golden boy in opposition to Lebron's narcissicism. Unfortunately for Durant he came out of the gates slow the first month of the season and Russell Westbrook had the fast start, stole KD's thunder (no-pun), and made himself just as important to the success of OKC as Durant.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Dwight Howard was 2nd in MVP buzz to start the season. It was Kevin Durant's to lose especially after the hype of the World Championship games and him being annointed the golden boy in opposition to Lebron's narcissicism. Unfortunately for Durant he came out of the gates slow the first month of the season and Russell Westbrook had the fast start, stole KD's thunder (no-pun), and made himself just as important to the success of OKC as Durant.

I must have been listening to different buzz than you were or Durant's didn't last very long. Howard seemed to be the sexy pick right out of the gate. I know what you're saying though; OKC was the sexy team pick based on their series with the Lakers.

DPG21920
03-23-2011, 05:59 PM
1) Dwight
2)Lebron
3)Rose
4)Dirk

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Speaking of Cleveland's record, and more specifically the people who bring it up as their primary argument for LeBron for MVP. I love how so many people fail to realize that Maimi's record at the end of this season will be worse than Cleveland's last season. Basically when making this particular argument, you and the others like you, are saying that the players surrounding LeBron this year are in fact worse than those he played with last year. You know, since Bron is responsible for every one of his team's wins and his "supporting cast" are the ones responsible for the losses.

Now, of course LeBron leaving has played a major part in Clevelands downfall, but quit using their record to promote LeBron for MVP. He's not even the Most Valuable Player on his own team.

Not saying he is not the MVP of the heat ...despite some clutch failings ..I believe he still is. BUT the Cavs record argument is dumb on two counts.

1. Like Corleone points out the Heat have a worse record than last year and the MVP is for THIS year. Plus the Cavs lost more than Lebron (though he was the stud) so that is no where close to the same squad. Shaq, Z, Mo, Varejao all left or were traded or injured so the Cavs lost a lot more than the king.

2. Rose not only has led a weaker cast (THIS YEAR) to a better record than Lebron's but when they have met headtohead Rose has been the best player and at times Lebron has been third ...

The award is not just about who is the best player but who is having teh best season. For me, that is Rose. sure a case can be made for: Lebron, howard, Kobe, Wade and Dirk. But the kid deseves this ...

ohmwrecker
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
A "travesty" is a little severe. He is a deserving candidate. As of now, I would put him 3rd . . .

1 Howard
2 Nowitzki
3 Rose

DPG21920
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Not saying he is not the MVP of the heat ...despite some clutch failings ..I believe he still is. BUT the Cavs record argument is dumb on two counts.

1. Like Corleone points out the Heat have a worse record than last year and the MVP is for THIS year. Plus the Cavs lost more than Lebron (though he was the stud) so that is no where close to the same squad. Shaq, Z, Mo, Varejao all left or were traded or injured so the Cavs lost a lot more than the king.

2. Rose not only has led a weaker cast (THIS YEAR) to a better record than Lebron's but when they have met headtohead Rose has been the best player and at times Lebron has been third ...

The award is not just about who is the best player but who is having teh best season. For me, that is Rose. sure a case can be made for: Lebron, howard, Kobe, Wade and Dirk. But the kid deseves this ...

Worst argument ever.

Ghazi
03-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Dirk should be the MVP, he's having an incredible shooting season

and no team w/ 33 YO Jason Terry as its 2nd option has any business being 49-21 ;)

ALVAREZ6
03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
1) Dwight
2)Lebron
3)Rose
4)Dirk

Lebron is easily behind those other 3 in this race.

Pelicans78
03-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Rose
Dirk
Kobe

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Worst argument ever.
Wow what a well thought out reply! Exaggerate much? You dis agree that the cavs lost 3 starters including lebron? That is a fact genius.

DPG21920
03-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Terrible argument that has already been laughed off the board.

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Terrible argument that has already been laughed off the board.

By who please elaborate so u say its terrible? Please enlighten me?

BRHornet45
03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
son in 07-08 Chris Paul put up 21 and 12 on 49% shooting and led the entire league in assist, steals, win shares, and double doubles, and led the Hornets to a franchise best 56 wins and still didn't win the MVP due to the media awarding Kobe with a bogus lifetime achievement award. The real MVP rarely ever wins in the NBA.

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Please, please DPG laugh me off this thread with your infinite basketball wisdom and superior intellect. While you prepare another well thought out pithy comeback, allow me to retort.

1. First of all I have mad respect for Lebron james. IF He gets the MVP I have no quibble with it most dominant force in the game (although Dwight is making a strong push as the most dominant too) and i hope he fulfills he destiny (not this season) as the GOAT but IF rose gets it I believe he and Dwight have the best opposing argument.

2. I STILL stand by that to use the "Look at the Cavs record THIS YEAR" ... is asinine. One of the key lineups (and arguably best) for the Cavs last year was: C Shaq or Z PF Verejao SF James SG West PG Mo williams. ALL of those guys are gone. Heck even Leon Powe is not on the team or Danny green. Out of the ones that were still on the roster pre-season, and post-trade, (Mo gibson, Jamison, Hickson) Only Jamison and Hickson had played 41 or more games at the all-star break for the Cavs ...THIS year. Even if you dismiss West who was dealing with issues and didnt play a lot. What team could lose that many players and maintain a high level of play? One could argue now they have Jamison for a full season. But no way he and Sessions can make up for ALL of that. Plus they had Jamison PLUS all the departing players and a healthy Verejao and mo williams PLUS LEBRON ...No way Lebron (as great as he is) carries THIS shitty cast to a top3 record in the EAST. This is not the same team from the past two seasons. Now if you want to compare it to the team Lebron put on his back and carried to the Finals vs. the spurs ... I'd disagree but I would be more willing to buy THAT argument.

Lebron deserves all praise for carrying that team to a Finals and he deserves a lion's share of the praise for having the best regular season record the past two years with no current HOFto help on either squad. He got an MVP for beasting for those teams ...but that has shit to do with this one. To compare this year's cavs even without Lebron is an apples to apples comparison and is faulty logic. Lebron is great but dont prop it up with some fake media bull-shit. That is similar (not saying the same) as saying that Utah is going to miss the playoffs because Dwill got traded ... and ignoring the facts that team also lost: Korver, Boozer, Matthews and their iconic coach ...which brings to my next point.

3. I was no huge Mike Brown fan. But many of the spur fans here (not sure if you are one DPG) that hailed him as a Pop protege and defensive genius. And i agree he is a smart defensive coach. But he is not there either. so not only have they have lost all of the players listed in point 2 ...but they have a new coach with new offensive and defensive priniciples.

Lebron had my early vote for MVP along with dirk.
Then I felt Rose had moved in to the convo ...
Now i think it's a 3 man race with rose in front, Dwight closing fast and Lebron a close 3rd ... with dirk and Kobe in the rear.

I dont have any issues if ANYONE wants to argue Lebron for what he has done in Miami. He leads in PER. He impacts the game so many ways. He has carried the Heat. All great reasons. But cleveland's record should have no bearing on this case. Period.

Sorry to make this long but that argument is stupid and bugs me and I admit DPG's condescending remark rubbed me the wrong way. I also dont give a shit if he is trolling or if he really believes the shit he is shoveling or especially if the weaker sheep on this forum agree with him or laugh this off as DPG put it. I love to argue and I am sitting here bored at Garden Hilton in near memphis ...watching the spurs and nuggs. I enjoy a good debate Let's see if DPG can prove how this is "the worst argument ever" ...:ihit

DPG21920
03-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhh.

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2011, 11:36 PM
son in 07-08 Chris Paul put up 21 and 12 on 49% shooting and led the entire league in assist, steals, win shares, and double doubles, and led the Hornets to a franchise best 56 wins and still didn't win the MVP due to the media awarding Kobe with a bogus lifetime achievement award. The real MVP rarely ever wins in the NBA.

That's ridiculous..the Lakers were the #1 seed in the West..the best player in the NBA and the best player on the best team, should always win MVP..

As for this year, it should be:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Kobe
3. Dwight Howard

Kobe might have a case for #1 if the Lakers continue to dominate though..

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 11:37 PM
That's ridiculous..the Lakers were the #1 seed in the West..the best player in the NBA and the best player on the best team, should always win MVP..

As for this year, it should be:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Kobe
3. Dwight Howard

Kobe might have a case for #1 if the Lakers continue to dominate though..

LOL yeah right I have him in my avvy and I wont make that argument ...

HarlemHeat37
03-23-2011, 11:42 PM
The Lakers have the 2nd best record in the NBA, despite Bynum missing a large part of the year, and Kobe playing at 80%..the best player on the team deserves to be in the MVP argument..

Killakobe81
03-23-2011, 11:47 PM
The Lakers have the 2nd best record in the NBA, despite Bynum missing a large part of the year, and Kobe playing at 80%..the best player on the team deserves to be in the MVP argument..

Im already starting to dislike this schtick ... I dont like you in Kobe hate or Kobe lover or especially Lebron dyck suck mode. I would much rather see the Harlem I voted for "all spurs talk" what happened to THAT guy? LOL

rayjayjohnson
03-23-2011, 11:49 PM
jr smith is ballin

rayjayjohnson
03-23-2011, 11:50 PM
harrington 3 ball

ChrisRichards
03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Please, please DPG laugh me off this thread with your infinite basketball wisdom and superior intellect. While you prepare another well thought out pithy comeback, allow me to retort.

1. First of all I have mad respect for Lebron james. IF He gets the MVP I have no quibble with it most dominant force in the game (although Dwight is making a strong push as the most dominant too) and i hope he fulfills he destiny (not this season) as the GOAT but IF rose gets it I believe he and Dwight have the best opposing argument.

2. I STILL stand by that to use the "Look at the Cavs record THIS YEAR" ... is asinine. One of the key lineups (and arguably best) for the Cavs last year was: C Shaq or Z PF Verejao SF James SG West PG Mo williams. ALL of those guys are gone. Heck even Leon Powe is not on the team or Danny green. Out of the ones that were still on the roster pre-season, and post-trade, (Mo gibson, Jamison, Hickson) Only Jamison and Hickson had played 41 or more games at the all-star break for the Cavs ...THIS year. Even if you dismiss West who was dealing with issues and didnt play a lot. What team could lose that many players and maintain a high level of play? One could argue now they have Jamison for a full season. But no way he and Sessions can make up for ALL of that. Plus they had Jamison PLUS all the departing players and a healthy Verejao and mo williams PLUS LEBRON ...No way Lebron (as great as he is) carries THIS shitty cast to a top3 record in the EAST. This is not the same team from the past two seasons. Now if you want to compare it to the team Lebron put on his back and carried to the Finals vs. the spurs ... I'd disagree but I would be more willing to buy THAT argument.

:ihit

Just to let you know dude that Shaq was anon factor for the Cavs on most occassions last year, same with Delonte West. You could make a case for Varejao and MO Williams, but the Cavs still had a losing record even before Varejao went down.

I'm not going to go into other details but Lebron is worthat least 30 if not 40 wins to those Cavaliers/ The whole team was built around him, so naturally when he was traded all the pieces started collapsing. Also, the morale is pretty low and I think most players in that roster are all playing for a paycheck.

ChrisRichards
03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
+1 Bulls are winning with their defense, which he's not really a part of. Still a top ten player though.
Winner. Like I said, the Bulls success has Thibs blueprint written all over it. If people don't want to give this to Lebron, at least give Wade his lifetime/Kobe MVP acheivement award. Or just give it to Dwight.

Fonzie
03-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Not giving it to Rose ain't cool.

duncan228
03-24-2011, 01:03 PM
5-on-5: Rose running away with MVP? (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=5-on-5-110324)
Five ESPN.com writers debate five of the biggest talking points in the NBA today

1. Is Stan Van Gundy correct? Have we already anointed D-Rose as MVP?

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop: Anyone with a pulse would be very happy for Derrick Rose, and maybe he should win it if nothing else as a thank-you for the thrills, the work and the wins. But LeBron James is a better player, playing just as he did when he ran away with this award the past two seasons. Beyond bitterness, is there a reason to disqualify him so early?

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com: Yes, Stan Van Gundy is correct. The media have decided Rose is the MVP, and the media hate changing the story once it's written. But the media are correct, too. Rose and the Bulls are having a better season than Dwight Howard and the Magic.

Kevin Arnovitz: Heat Index: The media and fans like novelty because it keeps the narrative interesting. That means that whenever there's a legitimate candidate for MVP who hasn't previously been in the conversation, we tend to gravitate toward him. And when that candidate's team loses only three times in six weeks, the momentum builds. This is true in basketball or baseball.

Chris Sheridan, ESPN New York: I am with Van Gundy on this one, and he is on point: I am as guilty as anyone of anointing Rose the MVP prematurely, but I am on solid ground in doing so.

Look where the Bulls are. Then ask why they are there. This guy has been the consummate leader for them, and the leap he has made in his outside shooting has been astounding.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: I would appear to be guilty. The Bulls would have to hit a serious skid here in their last 12 games to convince me otherwise.

Howard has played at a higher level of statistical efficiency and has kept Orlando in the top five defensively all season, even though he's surrounded by bad defenders. But the combination of the on-the-court load that Rose shoulders along with the galvanizing effect he's had as a leader for a team that's exceeded all expectations with Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah combining to miss 54 games … yup. Guilty.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=5-on-5-110324

Killakobe81
03-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Just to let you know dude that Shaq was anon factor for the Cavs on most occassions last year, same with Delonte West. You could make a case for Varejao and MO Williams, but the Cavs still had a losing record even before Varejao went down.

I'm not going to go into other details but Lebron is worthat least 30 if not 40 wins to those Cavaliers/ The whole team was built around him, so naturally when he was traded all the pieces started collapsing. Also, the morale is pretty low and I think most players in that roster are all playing for a paycheck.

I agree shaq didnt do all THAT much and Z was a role player too. But Mo got hurt Verejao played even less. The point is how can you compare two teams when there is THAT much roster turnover? And maybe you are right maybe Lebron was worth 30 to 40 wins for LAST YEARS team. Again that is why he won the last two MVP awards.
I am still waiting for a reasonable and intelligent poster to explain to me how that is a factor in THIS YEARS MVP race? Just admit that the argument is a knee jerk reaction to the Cavs struggles. Rose should not lose reward on such flawed analysis.
Those that complain about Kobe getting his for lifetime achievement ... should not give Lebron this year's award because the Cavs suck when the team is at least 50% different that is just dumb. if you give it to him (which i dont have an issue with) give it to him for his dominance THIS year. just keep this year's Cavs out of it.

Killakobe81
03-24-2011, 06:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=5-on-5-110324

Henry is a moron. Not hating on Lebron because he is deserving but we all know he is a hollingeresque stat boy who won't give Rose his due beacuse he is not efficient enough for his tastes.

Stringer_Bell
03-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Rose sets the tempo and creates momentum changing situations on a consistent basis...Lebron just play really hard, but his success is inconsistent when it matters most. MVP must go to Rose IMHO.

hitmanyr2k
03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Winner. Like I said, the Bulls success has Thibs blueprint written all over it. If people don't want to give this to Lebron, at least give Wade his lifetime/Kobe MVP acheivement award. Or just give it to Dwight.

I keep seeing this myth that Rose somehow doesn't play defense or doesn't make an impact on that side of the ball. He's just as big a part of that defensive unit as anyone else. It's not like he's constantly beat off the dribble and depending on his bigs to bail him out or anything. He's taken defense very seriously and has bought into Thibs' message. He beats himself up if he gets taken off the dribble on an isolation or misses a rotation. And this pretty much sums up how much he's improved.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/19/rose-dwarfs-other-improvements-with-defense/

What’s so remarkable about Rose isn’t that he improved defensively (incremental gains are pretty much assumed as young players become more comfortable), but that he improved so early and so rapidly. Rose is just 22, and a year removed from being a part-time liability on the defensive end. Not only has he shattered expectations for his defensive improvement this season, but Rose has a legitimate claim as a plus defender while playing at the most difficult position in the league. Gone are the lethargic sequences where Rose dawdled around a screen or launched into the air at the slightest pump fake. Rose has made a legitimately positive defensive impact, and he has the numbers to prove it.

Joakim Noah, thought to be the single key to the Bulls’ defensive success, has played only 24 of 41 games this season, and yet Chicago is still best in the league in points allowed per 100 possessions. Rose doesn’t deserve all of the credit, but the perimeter trio of Rose, Ronnie Brewer, and Luol Deng has made things tough for opposing teams. It’s a matter of necessity; Chicago’s offense isn’t good enough to keep it afloat, and its defense provides the most consistent path toward victory. If Rose were still a defensive sieve, the Bulls would be struggling without Noah. If Rose were merely a moderately successful defender, the Bulls wouldn’t have the top defense and the third seed in the Eastern Conference. It’s taken every bit of Rose’s defensive improvement to keep the Bulls rolling despite significant injuries to both Noah and Carlos Boozer, but he’s quickly taken to Thibodeau’s famed defensive system and delivered in a big way.

More outstanding yet are Rose’s individual defensive numbers. According to Synergy Sports Technology, Rose has allowed just 0.77 points per possession overall on defense this season, an elite mark for any defender, regardless of position. Chris Paul (0.86 points per possession allowed), Rajon Rondo (0.83 PPP allowed), and Russell Westbrook (0.92 PPP allowed) –- all excellent defenders -– have been trumped statistically this year, and by no slim margin. Rose has each of those players handily beat, and boasts a shockingly comprehensive defensive profile.

Rose is particularly effective in defending isolation sequences, where he allows just 0.61 points per possession. Rose’s lateral quickness becomes a huge asset when opponents go one-on-one. In this sequence, watch how Rose goes over the pick with the Sixers’ Jrue Holiday, and yet still stays with him step for step as he drives into the lane:

p_T52mU6tCU

Admittedly, part of the reason Rose does so well against isolated opponents is his focus. Rose still wanders mentally from time to time, but having an opponent with the ball directly in front of him no doubt creates a sense of importance and urgency. He has no choice but to try to stop him, and this season he’s certainly been more effective.

Strong individual defense, however, involves an understanding of opponent strengths and weaknesses, and a predictive element that enables defenders to beat their opponents to particular spots on the floor. Athleticism aids in those efforts and helps to erase some of Rose’s mistakes, but it’s his more complete understanding of proper defensive technique that has enabled Rose to blanket his counterparts this season. Watch as he defends Indiana’s T.J. Ford:

ZOaYeLAEPvI

Rose is clearly playing off of Ford and encouraging him to shoot a jumper, yet he’s quick to shut off Ford’s driving lanes and also to recover when Ford opts for the step-back. Just as importantly, Rose plays with awareness of both Ford’s movements and the ticking shot clock. Even when the 24-second clock nears zero, Rose doesn’t fall for Ford’s pump fakes. He waits, he challenges, and then he smothers Ford’s desperate shot attempt when he has no other choice but to shoot.

He’s effective in defending the pick-and-roll as well, mostly due to his persistence around screens. Rose gets picked off just like every other perimeter player in the N.B.A., but he’s quick to scurry and maneuver back to his man. Rose may be screened, but he’s never deterred. It’s a credit to the Bulls’ bigs that Chicago is so effective in defending the pick-and-roll, but all they can really offer is a window. It’s up to Rose to fight through the screen and recover quickly, to prevent weak-side exploitation of the Bulls’ rotations.

Rose has become relentless. Not perfectly so, mind you, but to an admirable degree. He doesn’t take as many defensive possessions off, even as he carries an absurd amount of offensive responsibility. He doesn’t seem to give up mid-play as often as he did in years past, and instead works diligently to get himself back into defensive position. He doesn’t jump before he should, or take a breather when he shouldn’t. For the first time in his career, Rose looks like he wants to play defense, and it shows.

duncan228
03-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Derrick Rose seems like sure-fire MVP, but star remains humble (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/4495112-419/derrick-rose-seems-like-sure-fire-mvp-but-star-remains-humble.html)
Rick Telander
Chicago Sun-Times

It’s not gossip anymore.

It’s for real, endorsed by everybody from Magic coach Stan Van Gundy to Chris Bosh to Michael Jordan to Doc Rivers. Not to mention fans everywhere.

‘‘I think it’s over. Derrick Rose has it,’’ Van Gundy said of the NBA Most Valuable Player award. And SVG is the coach of MVP candidate Dwight Howard, a legit stud.

But there’s no stopping a tidal wave.

And unless something weird happens, Rose will be voted the cherished award that has been won by icons such as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell, Julius Erving, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant and, yes, MJ himself.

But here’s a fact.

The MVP award would be junk if the Bulls don’t reach the NBA Finals.

How can you be the MVP if your team is OK but not great?

Hoops watchers right now are thrilled by Rose, the 22-year-old with the old-school attitude and new-age talent. And they should be.

But if just making your team a lot better than it would be without you is the criterion, then it’s for sure the Magic would be nothing without Howard, the Lakers would be nothing without Bryant, the Mavericks would be nothing without Dirk Nowitzki, the Spurs would be nothing without Tim Duncan, etc.

Oh, and has everybody forgotten a fellow named LeBron James?

Here’s the thing: Rose knows this, too.

‘‘That award is so far away from my mind,’’ he said Thursday after practice at the Berto Center. ‘‘What I’m thinking about is the way we’re playing.’’

Keep reading... (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/4495112-419/derrick-rose-seems-like-sure-fire-mvp-but-star-remains-humble.html)

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/4495112-419/derrick-rose-seems-like-sure-fire-mvp-but-star-remains-humble.html

mystargtr34
03-25-2011, 06:27 AM
I think Dwight should be the MVP.. who is the second best player on that team.. Jameer Nelson? Jason Richardson? Thats a shitty supporting case. He has been prime Duncanesque on offense this season, and he is so far and away the best defensive player in the league its ridiculous. Its a shame how overlooked defense has become in the NBA. The only guy who could replace Dwight and lead that team to a similar record or 50+ wins is probably LeBron.

Rose has been great this season... but the Bulls record is what it is due to their overall team defense at least as much due to Rose's supposed brilliance on offense. Obviously is you swap Rose with an average PG the Bulls become an average team.. but they still probably win 40-45 games due to being the best defensive team in the league since losing Rose wouldnt greatly impact that area of their game. If the Bulls replace Thibs with an average coach and replace Noah with an average C and everything remains the same... the Bulls probably only win 40-45 games.

You replace Dwight Howard with an average C i think the Magic are honestly a chance of having the worst record in the entire NBA.

1. Dwight
2. LeBron
3. Rose

Those would be my top 3.