PDA

View Full Version : Portland leads U.S. cities in bike-friendly culture, top cycling researchers say

tlongII
03-23-2011, 10:42 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/03/portland_leads_us_cities_in_bi.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/photo/bikingjpg-fa8145714e80daea.jpg
Bicyclists cross the Morrison Bridge during the Providence Bridge Pedal 2010.

Portland is the one large American city that comes the closest to adopting a "truly comprehensive" set of policies to promote bicycling as a mainstream transportation choice, according to a new report for the U.S. Department of Transportation.

John Pucher and Ralph Buehler, the two most prominent bicycling researchers in the country, studied nine large cities in the U.S. and Canada that have promoted cycling and singled out Portland for their highest praise.

"Portland's success is evident in the numbers, with a 6-fold increase in cycling levels since 1990," Pucher and Buehler concluded.

Read the report

Their study shows, they say, that bike lanes and off-street paths play an important role in increasing bicycle use. But they say that very large cities in the study that have done a lot to promote cycling, such as New York and Chicago, find it more difficult to increase their cycling rates, in part because of the "sometimes harrowing experience of cycling in heavy traffic with high levels of noise and air pollution."

Overall, among the nine cities, Portland has the highest share of commuters -- 5.8 percent -- who cycle to work. Minneapolis is second with 3.9 percent and Vancouver, B.C., is third with 3.7 percent. The three are the smallest of the nine cities and have the safest cycling, Pucher and Buehler report.

Among the 100 largest U.S. cities, Portland also has the highest share of bike commuters, according to the report. And it is second only to New York City in the total number of average daily bike commuters. New York City had 24,000 daily bike commuters, compared to 13,200 for Portland. Chicago and Los Angeles are next in line with each having fewer than 13,000 daily bike commuters.

The report is intended to demonstrate how cities can encourage cycling, and the researchers praise Portland for its wide variety of pro-cycling policies. Of primary importance is the city's dense bikeway network, which includes bike lanes, low-traffic bike boulevards and off-street paths. In addition, the city led the way in installing on-street bicycle parking corrals, has a large number of cycling events and a "lively bike culture."

"The success of Portland is important because it shows that even car-dependent American cities can greatly increase cycling by implementing the right package of infrastructure, programs, and policies," the report concludes.

Slomo
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
nice!

MannyIsGod
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
:tu

Blake
03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
It's gotten better, but I hate San Antonio's lack of proper bike lanes.

Not a whole lot of things worse on the road than getting stuck behind a biker in 5 o'clock rush hour traffic

Sportcamper
03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
In LA you don't get off the sidewalk...:lol

The Reckoning
03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
does that mean Portland is last in car friendly and pedestrian friendly culture too?

JMarkJohns
03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
My friend who lives in Portland says it's because Portland is the Hipster capital of the US.

Wild Cobra
03-23-2011, 12:44 PM
My friend who lives in Portland says it's because Portland is the Hipster capital of the US.
No, we are the capital of the North-Left coast.

Kyle Orton
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
No, we are the capital of the North-Left coast.

Meaning you're the hipster capitol of America......

Sisk
03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
does that mean Portland is last in car friendly and pedestrian friendly culture too?

IronMexican
03-23-2011, 01:17 PM
I hear Portland is a pretty swell place. They even have that Portlandia show on IFC.

lefty
03-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Damn hippies

lil_penny
03-23-2011, 01:25 PM
I hear Portland is a pretty swell place. They even have that Portlandia show on IFC.
That show is horrible lol

IronMexican
03-23-2011, 01:32 PM
It is. Still seems like a nice place to live.

Wild Cobra
03-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Portland used to be a great place 20+ years ago. Jobs are drying up as Metro and Tri-met find more and more ways to tax business, to attempt to make their liberal utopia work.

Wild Cobra
03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Portland does have more breweries per capita than any other city in the world. Also, more strip clubs than anywhere in the USA per capita.

The Gemini Method
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Portland does have more breweries per capita than any other city in the world. Also, more strip clubs than anywhere in the USA per capita.

More strip clubs than Vegas?

Hmmm...well, I don't know what to envision when I think Portland and their stripper ilk...