PDA

View Full Version : Rodriguez: Danny Green: A New March Madness

duncan228
03-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Danny Green: A New March Madness (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/110323_rodriguez.html)
Ken Rodriguez

The U-turn in the bumpy career of Danny Green came as he rode in the back of a Reno Bighorn van. On his way to practice on a dusty road in Nevada, Green’s cell phone rang. “Start packing,” the caller said last week. “You’re going back to San Antonio.”

A rush of emotion surged through Green. After six humbling weeks in the NBA’s Development League, after a passport misplaced in the mail cost him a job in Italy, after months of doubt and discouragement since his release from the Spurs, he’d secured a second chance. “I was so excited,” Green says, “I almost jumped out of the moving van.”

The timing of the call: perfect. March has almost always been Green’s month. At North Carolina, he made it to four NCAA Tournaments, his Tar Heels advancing deeper each year. In 2009, he reached April, and celebrated as no current Spur has -- with a national championship.

He remembers straining a stomach muscle against Michigan State, remembers fouling out. He also remembers the sweet aftermath: cutting down the nets, hugging teammates, embracing family. His one shining moment.

A smile creases his face. Green is sitting courtside at the AT&T Center, 90 minutes before tipoff against Charlotte, recalling a journey -- from North Carolina to Cleveland to San Antonio to Reno and back to the Alamo City -- and some turns along the way.

Winning the championship was big, yes. Winning in front of his father was even bigger. A year earlier, Danny Green Sr. sat in prison, staring at long, hard time. “I wasn’t sure,” young Danny says, “if he was ever going to make one of my college games.”

Keep reading... (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/110323_rodriguez.html)

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/110323_rodriguez.html

honestfool84
03-23-2011, 12:46 PM
:tu wow, what a nice story.

thank you!

8FOR!3
03-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I didn't know Danny Green was the only Spur with a national championship haha. I knew he was a stud at UNC though.

boutons_deux
03-23-2011, 01:28 PM
As always, good luck to anybody trying to be Spur.

Strategic
03-23-2011, 02:28 PM
So there was 420 pounds of Cocaine at his dad's house, his dad was there, and it was a case of mistaken identity? Sounds like daddy thought that one of the dozen or so peeps at his house had carried in almost a quarter ton of talcom powder? Nice story, I guess.

:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope

Rummpd
03-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Honestly hope he sticks with the Spurs or some other team going fwd - seems like he still has a lot of potential.

Juggity
03-23-2011, 03:53 PM
So there was 420 pounds of Cocaine at his dad's house, his dad was there, and it was a case of mistaken identity? Sounds like daddy thought that one of the dozen or so peeps at his house had carried in almost a quarter ton of talcom powder? Nice story, I guess.

:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope

I don't think the coke was actually at his dad's house, it's just that his dad was linked to it via one of the "dozen or so" other people involved in the sting.

wildbill2u
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
I don't think the coke was actually at his dad's house, it's just that his dad was linked to it via one of the "dozen or so" other people involved in the sting.

The conspiracy laws are so broad that a taped phone call where one of the conspirators says something like, "Yeah, I'm going over to so-and-so's house later." can be used as evidence. The idea is to sweep up as many people as possible in the net and then try to get them to roll on otheres.

The fact that they came to him with a deal after a couple of years and offered time served is an indication to me that they didn't want to go to trial--just dangled freedom in front of him with a possible long sentence--byt most folks are going to chuck their principles away in favor ot the sure thing.

I'm not saying he was innocent because I don't know and no one here knows, but the system is not about justice, it's about convictions.

SenorSpur
03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I hope Green sticks this time around too. I thought he had a lil' something before, but don't really know what the Spurs brass thought of him.. By them bringing him back, I guess they're still interested.

Strategic
03-23-2011, 04:33 PM

You are right; it does not say it was seized at his home. Been in a little trouble myself a time or two and I wish them the best of it all.

:flag: