PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's Face Says it All

FoxPerez
03-23-2011, 03:06 PM
From The Daily Six Shooter (http://bit.ly/evxTKF) at PlaymakerOnline.com:

As for Tim Duncan, he won’t be joining the team on San Antonio’s three-game road trip through Denver, Portland and Memphis because of the ankle injury he suffered in the team’s victory over Golden State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ1_AiHi6wo&feature=player_embedded

Something occurred to me watching him go down with that injury, and that was the look on his face. And that look was confirmed to me by Joe Herrera, a good friend and Univision photographer who was right in front of Duncan when he went down at the AT&T Center. He didn’t look like he was in pain. He looked like he was mad and disappointed because he could immediately tell how badly he was hurt and what the implications would be for the rest of the season. You could see him doing the math in his head: “I’m going to be fine, but I’ll miss the next two weeks and probably won’t be 100% on this ankle until the end of the first round of the playoffs.”

X-Rays luckily came back negative and MRI’s suggest that there’s nothing structurally wrong with the ankle, which is sort of a best-case scenario. Duncan was seen on crutches recently, likely avoiding any pressure to the ankle so the swelling can subside quickly and he can speed up the healing process.

But whether Duncan could be ready to go in a week seems moot to a coach like Gregg Popovich. Expect Duncan to miss at least two weeks and to come off the bench once he does return. Because there’s so little time left in the regular season, I don’t think he’ll start again until the playoffs. Years of watching Pop handle injuries, especially with his star players, I’d predict that Duncan comes off the bench at home against the Sacramento Kings on April 6th. The game seems perfect since the Spurs will get two days off before playing again at home against Utah. He’ll likely come off the bench again, playing more minutes against the Jazz. Sadly, San Antonio ends the season on a back-to-back set on the road against the Lakers and Suns. So while Duncan could see significant minutes off the bench against LA, he and the rest of San Antonio’s key veterans will likely be in street clothes against Phoenix.

We’ll certainly learn a lot about this Spurs team over the next 12 games. Luckily, San Antonio probably only needs to win five or six of those games to secure the top spot in the west. But the games against future playoff teams will be telling. Duncan’s impact on the team goes beyond the numbers and they will miss him. All Spurs fans can hope for is that he recovers well enough to play well in the 1st round of the playoffs and can help the team advance and be close to 100% by round 2.

If San Antonio severely struggles without him, that’s fine. It’s almost expected. But if Duncan can’t heal in time, then that’s a recipe for disaster that would bring a disappointing end to a historic season.

For more Spurs coverage, check out PlaymakerOnline.com (http://www.playmakeronline.com/)
Playmaker Magazine: The Source for Sports in Texas

lefty
03-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Non issue

wunderkindepiphany
03-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Youre right, he could tell what the implications were and that is probably frustrating for him. Who knows what his timetable for healing is, it could be shorter or considerably longer than any of us anticipate. Likely at least 2 weeks. Good time for other members of the team to start stepping up.

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Duncan probably felt the same way most of us did: He's been healthy and rested, and happened to step on some scrub's foot in a meaningless game.

hater
03-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Duncan's calculations:
"Pain: 45%, Divide pain factor by square inch of ankle musculature and multiply by milliseconds of stress plus angle... I'll be ok :tu"

wunderkindepiphany
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Lol he's like Johnny 5 in Short Circuit. or the Terminator. I'm going with the Terminator. or maybe Robocop. Nah, the Terminator.

hater
03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
what am I thinking. Like Duncan would do calculations in inches. Sorry my bad.

TIMMYD!
03-23-2011, 03:43 PM
It's frustrating for sure bit I think this might be the thing that brings the team together like every other year before.

reddog 99
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Duncan probably felt the same way most of us did: He's been healthy and rested, and happened to step on some scrub's foot in a meaningless game.

It still looks to me like that scrub slid his foot under Duncan's.

Pretty chicken #@#$.

Watch the top angle replay of him getting hurt.

:bang

silverblk mystix
03-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I thought Duncan was pissed because his injury leaves us with MORE BONNER!

Oh sorry, that is what pissed ME off!!!!

SenorSpur
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I thought Duncan was pissed because his injury leaves us with MORE BONNER!

Oh sorry, that is what pissed ME off!!!!

:lol

Obstructed_View
03-23-2011, 05:12 PM

Pretty chicken #@#$.

I saw that too, but he was just trying to get position. I might be biased, but in my opinion, Ekpe Udoh of all people wouldn't do that. It's bad enough that I called him a scrub, but there's no way he did it on purpose.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Pretty chicken #@#$.

oh come on. This is the same bullshit other fans said about Bowen. It was an accident, clear as day.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
this was all part of a big plan, and im not talking about CIA pop hahah this is just meant to be, and i have a really good feeling. i screamed and shouted to be free, and no pop kept degrading me, then jesus said he had to intervene lol destiny is strange but i expect tiago to come out and make pop look stupid. he deserves it

++SaiNt TiAg0++
03-23-2011, 05:49 PM
and think about it this way he got his injury out of the way, so now at least if he recovers we can spend all our energy on manu not getting hurt and that takes all my energy, i want more tiago!!!yeaaaaa