PDA

View Full Version : London Financial Times: Multi-national Spurs honed for triple crown

spurschick
06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Multi-national Spurs honed for triple crown
By Mike Steinberger
Published: June 3 2005 19:22

San Antonio may be a small city in southern Texas but it is fast becoming the home of “hoop” dreams. On Wednesday, the San Antonio Spurs again booked their place in the National Basketball Association finals with victory over the Phoenix Suns. They now stand just four wins from their third NBA title in seven seasons.

Their opponents will be either the Miami Heat or the Detroit Pistons, the defending champions. The Heat can earn their first trip to an NBA final with a victory tonight in the sixth game of their best-of-seven series against the Pistons.

Perhaps because they play in a small, out-of-the-way city, the Spurs have always flown under the radar, which is a pity. In addition to being a remarkably accomplished team, they are arguably the most interesting franchise in all of American sport.

Whether it be against the Pistons or the Heat, the Spurs will take to the court for the finals with momentum and confidence to spare. They struggled a little in winning their first-round series against the gritty Denver Nuggets, and they struggled a bit more before finally subduing the Seattle Supersonics in a six-game, second-round contest. Against the Suns, however, San Antonio hit their stride, and in most impressive fashion.

Phoenix, possessors both of the NBA’s best record this year and of Steve Nash, its most valuable player, were comprehensively outplayed by the Spurs. Nash looked like a pinball trying to penetrate San Antonio’s smothering defence, while on offence the Spurs were a case study in smart, selfless basketball.

San Antonio raced to a 3-0 lead and, although they dropped the fourth game at home last Monday, they applied the finishing blows two nights later.

Should the Spurs now go on to win the championship, celebrations will ensue all over the globe.

It is, perhaps, surprising that the most international franchise in the NBA, itself the most globalised of the major American sports, should be a team that represents a small Texas city rather than a huge, cosmopolitan centre such as New York or Chicago. But, for reasons that have nothing to do with Texas and everything to do with the vagaries of NBA personnel decisions, the Spurs have become a mini-UN.

Tim Duncan, the team’s centre, is a native of the US Virgin Islands. Point guard Tony Parker is French and San Antonio’s other starting guard, Manu Ginobili, is a native of Argentina. Back-ups Rasho Nesterovic and Beno Udrih are both Slovenians, while forward Sean Marks is a New Zealander.

Although the NBA has plenty of foreign-born players, the Spurs seem to span the globe just a bit more vigorously in their search for international talent. And it is widely acknowledged within the NBA that San Antonio is particularly adept at finding overseas players who can make the transition to the NBA.

Gregg Popovich, the coach, and general manager R.C. Buford were among the first in the league to recognise the quality of talent being cultivated in Europe, South America and Asia. And the Spurs have reaped the benefit with two NBA crowns and five division titles in the eight years that Popovich has led the team.

What is generally true of the NBA’s foreign players — excellent fundamentals and a more selfless, team-oriented approach than many homegrown NBA stars — is especially true of the Spurs. There was something almost symphonic about the way they played against the Suns; it was a consummate team effort of the sort rarely seen nowadays in the NBA.

That the Spurs are often dismissed as dull is a measure of how warped attitudes have become in the era of highlight-reel basketball. Perhaps a third NBA crown, after their victories in 1999 and again in 2003, will finally earn San Antonio the enormous respect they deserve.

However, against either the Heat or the Pistons, the Spurs will not have an easy time making it a triple.

The Heat, of course, boast Shaquille O’Neal, who remains the league’s dominant player. But stopping Miami is going to require a lot more than just limiting O’Neal’s impact. Heat guard Dwyane Wade has averaged nearly 30 points per game during the play-offs and is now evoking comparisons with Michael Jordan. Miami have had a championship aura throughout the season and it is going to require something special to puncture that.

The Pistons, should they even the series tonight at home and go on to win a seventh and deciding game at Miami on Monday, are also more than capable of ruining San Antonio’s summer. With the two Wallaces, Ben and Rasheed, as well as Tayshaun Prince and Rip Hamilton, the Pistons are loaded with talent. They proved it last year when they thrashed the Los Angeles Lakers in the finals and they have proved it again during this post-season.

Whether it is the Spurs-Heat or the Spurs-Pistons, this year’s final, which gets under way on Thursday night, could well be a classic. The three best teams in the league are the only teams left standing and it seems there is little if any daylight separating them from one another.

cherylsteele
06-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Great to see foreign papers and press to write about the Spurs.

1Parker1
06-03-2005, 03:30 PM
God...what's up with all these positive Spurs articles that are coming out...are they trying to jinx us or something???????

timvp
06-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Nice find.

JsnSA
06-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Ok...its one thing to find a Spurs article from an English paper....but the London Financial Times????

Why the hell would a financial publication have a well written article on an american basketball team??

Tek_XX
06-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Nice article but small market yes, small city no

MaNuMaNiAc
06-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Really? how many inhabitants does San Antonio have?

Tek_XX
06-04-2005, 12:31 AM
1.2 million

clubalien
06-04-2005, 12:47 AM
SA is pretty small, if you factor in the metro area it gets larger that said still only say top 7-10 or so not even top in texas BTW i live in schertz , Tx

word
06-04-2005, 01:06 AM
1.2 million

1.4 with 1.7 in Bexar county. SA is the 8th largest city in the US.

"
SA is pretty small, if you factor in the metro area it gets larger that said still only say top 7-10 or so not even top in texas BTW i live in schertz , Tx

Of course but there isn't that much 'metro' in Bexar county. The area's population is mostly within the confines of the SA city limits, unlike Dallas, which as a city is actually SMALLER than San Antonio.

Burbs make the diff. For example, Denver isn't the largest city in Colorado, but most people believe it is. Aurora is larger than Denver. Littleton is damn near bigger, pop wise.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-04-2005, 01:15 AM
that quite big, I was thinking in the hundred thousands. 1.2 million is big

word
06-04-2005, 01:43 AM
If you add in San Marcos/Austin.. it's 45 miles from the city limits of SA to the South Congress exit in Austin...not the 76 miles used by the DoT from DT zip to DT zip, add another 1.5 million. Austin/San Marcos/San Antonio is roughly 3.5 million people.

And who is Sean Marks ?

AFE7FATMAN
06-04-2005, 01:53 AM
Nice article.

However I don't want to see some HOMER come on here and say that SA is a big City,
International City, BLAH, BLAH

Just a few reminders for those individuals coming to SA from Overseas for the
NBA Finals.

1. Change you Money before you get here, there is only one Bank "FROST"
where you can get it changed and you could get a better Rate at CDG Airport, or many Money changers in the Vatican :lol
Does not apply to pesos.

2. You can't get here from there. You will have to change Planes.

3. If you don't like Mexican food you will be hard pressed to find the many
average decent restraunts you could find in France, Germany, Italy, etc

4. When booking a hotel remember the 17% tax and this tax is also included
in your car rental.

5. When you hear "River Walk" think "CANAL Stroll" with overpriced restraunts with average food. Suggest you have a large Kidney because
public restrooms are not in abundance nor clean. The ones on the street corners in Paris are cleaner.

6. We have fiesta Texas and Sea World, other than that -not much for Kids to do. Zoo and Parks- Something you would expect to find in Podunk Kansas.

7. Nightlife - Not really on the scale of a Major European city. You might be able to get some BBQ WIngs, fries or burgers, but forget a good meal after 11p.m.-SIngle Guys forget it. there are a few strip clubs but you will need transportation.

8. Don't expect a SPA if the HOTEL say's it has one.
This is for those that have been overseas and know what a real "SPA"
is.

BTW maybe some folks will begin to realize why SA is called Small Town USA

So what's good

THE SPURS. :elephant

Mr. Body
06-04-2005, 02:05 AM
San Antonio is a weenie city in relation to the rest of the world. I get to say this because I'm in NYC. :) Its market share gets gobbled somewhat by the bigger cities in Texas, especially Houston. Remember this article was written in London. That's a mammoth, roiling city. San Antonio should be proud of its quietness.

GopherSA
06-04-2005, 10:56 AM

No kidding.

Last I checked, we were the second-largest city in Texas (overtaking Dallas recently) and the eighth-largest in the US.

Small?

I think not.

The only thing small around here is the number of championship shirts the Mavs and Suns fans are wearing.

Oh yeah.

They can not wear a shirt that's never been made.

boutons
06-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I think another aspect that determines market size is income per capita, or gross income per region. With SA's large, (illegal = poor) Hispanic populaton and 10's of 1000's of military retirees locating close to military medical care, I bet SA wealth for 1.2 million people is signficantly below the per capita income for Houston and Dallas metropolitain area. San Antonio has one Dominion, while Dallas and Houston probably have many Dominion's each. Houston and Dallas are also substantial fincance and manufacturing and logistics centers, San Antoni isn't.

Drive around Austin a bit, and it certainly feels like much bigger, weathier, more dynamic city than San Antoio. And Austin, like Houston and Dallas, actually has an airport! :)

ie, San Antonio is a "small" 1.2 million.

Clandestino
06-04-2005, 12:04 PM
who really gives a fuck... i think houston is a piece of shit dirty and smelly city. i've only lived in sa for 2 years, but i think it is really nice.

GoSpurs21
06-04-2005, 01:17 PM
If you add in San Marcos/Austin.. it's 45 miles from the city limits of SA to the South Congress exit in Austin...not the 76 miles used by the DoT from DT zip to DT zip, add another 1.5 million. Austin/San Marcos/San Antonio is roughly 3.5 million people.

And who is Sean Marks ?DoT measures city center to city center.

"That the Spurs are often dismissed as dull is a measure of how warped attitudes have become in the era of highlight-reel basketball. Perhaps a third NBA crown, after their victories in 1999 and again in 2003, will finally earn San Antonio the enormous respect they deserve."

Damn it's nice to see that someone else recognises how FUCKED UP $tern and BSPN are.

However I don't want to see some HOMER come on here and say that SA is a big CityDamn, I bet SA is glad you dont work for the tourism department. You sound like a bitter city guy stuck in a big Small city.

SA has a lot more to offer than you listed. You are comparing eastern cities to SA than you are right. But that is what makes SA a cool place it is not like an eastern city. I hate it that someone thinks that every fucking place in America needs to be like the eastern cities. SA needs to stay exactly as it is. SA and surrounding areas are great if you like the outdoors and don't mind the heat. There are plenty of lakes and rivers for water fun. The best water park is just 1/2 hour north of the city. The are many German and Czech resturants in the small cities just north of the city.

Most people who visit central Texas for the first time are amazed by how hilly and green it is. As for AFE7FATMAN we dont need unfriendly people like you in SA so why dont you just move the fuck out of Tejas, you won't be missed.