PDA

View Full Version : Manu's stepback 3

DontStopBelieving
03-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Is an absolutely shitty shot. Every time he takes his fucking stepback, it ends up hitting the front of the rim.

EVERY
SINGLE
TIME

Wish he would just stop taking it..:bang

Sean Cagney
03-24-2011, 01:19 AM
I agree, I am sick of that shyt now, l liked it somewhat in 05, but he relies on it now way more and it is horrible! PERIOD.

ohmwrecker
03-24-2011, 01:20 AM
He doesn't have the lift he had earlier in the season. It's troubling.

SenorSpur
03-24-2011, 01:25 AM
You just know that he was going to TAKE that shot, you just hoped he would've gotten a better shot. I'm a bit surprised that Pop ddin't call a better play, where there was more natural ball movement, screens sets (perhaps for Neal) and a hard pick.

Cessation
03-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Its not so bad, some of the time. He does fail quite a bit, when he shoots it way beyond the three point line, in clutch situations.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2011, 01:33 AM
He was gassed at the end of the game, and should have tried to find his teammates. Oh fucking well. Take the good with the bad when it comes to Ginobili. The problem is the lineup that played really good defense and still scored a shitload of easy points in the first quarter didn't get any minutes after that.

duncan228
03-24-2011, 01:38 AM
...Ginobili’s last-ditch 3-point attempt, defended well by Martin, was way off mark.

“There were not many options,” Ginobili said.

Spurs Duncan-less and defeated in Denver (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/23/lead-slips-away-in-denver-as-chandler-hits-key-shot/)
Jeff McDonald

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/23/lead-slips-away-in-denver-as-chandler-hits-key-shot/

LakerHater
03-24-2011, 01:42 AM
His last shot had nothing on it!

JustinJDW
03-24-2011, 02:01 AM
He makes the shot, then we all go crazy in the "Ditka couldn't stop Manu tonight" thread and we call him clutch and the #1 Option on the team.

He misses, we say its a stupid shot, and he's tired, and blah blah blah.

jjktkk
03-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Manu's our closer, so I'm not gonna trash him for trying to win the game. I want Manu taking that shot every time.

crc21209
03-24-2011, 02:11 AM
He makes the shot, then we all go crazy in the "Ditka couldn't stop Manu tonight" thread and we call him clutch and the #1 Option on the team.

This...

gospursgojas
03-24-2011, 02:18 AM
Dear Manu,

Kenyon Martin is 6'10

Bambililos
03-24-2011, 02:59 AM

Yeah, and he missed. Bad.

Of course we're happy we he makes it, what do you think? I'm happy when Manu or anyone makes stupid shots, but that doesn't make them good shots.

senorglory
03-24-2011, 03:17 AM

Yes? and these statements wouldn't be accurate?

TMTTRIO
03-24-2011, 05:59 AM
His shooting has been pretty bad this year and it seems like he's been chucking up more shots than he usually does. I wish he would just stop and find other ways to contribute.

20beastie45
03-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Father Time!

I Love Manu Ginobili

20beastie45
03-24-2011, 06:08 AM
What should we have done to get a better shot? Who would you of rather taken the shot?

Capt Bringdown
03-24-2011, 07:46 AM
What should we have done to get a better shot? Who would you of rather taken the shot?

Man called Neal.

Brazil
03-24-2011, 07:52 AM

the problem is not this last shot, the problem is he had 18 FGAs including 12 or 13 3s ! he needs to stop shooting so many 3s thats it.

ElNono
03-24-2011, 07:56 AM
I have no problem with him taking that or any shot in the clutch... I like the fact that he doesn't shy away from the responsibility of taking them (*ahem* Dirk *ahem*)...

Sometimes it will go in, sometimes it won't...

ElNono
03-24-2011, 07:58 AM
I'll be worried if he doesn't take it to the rack at the end of the games during the playoffs... right now fire away...

baseline bum
03-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Manu takes some of the most horrible shots I have ever seen, but dude often makes them. I'll take him with the game on the line any time.

DieHardSpursFan1537
03-24-2011, 08:08 AM
It was a reckless shot, but Manu can be clutch.

wildbill2u
03-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Time was running out and he had to take the shot since no one else was in position or open. Denver defended us well with 9 seconds to go.

I think if someone takes the trouble to check, you'll find that he was shooting a great percentage on 3s in the first half. Everyone gets tired by the 4th quarter, especially in Denver after a very fast paced game.

The problem wasn't our offense. We simply never stopped Denver after the first half. Again, part of that is the Denver strategy to keep the pace fast, use their deep bench, and let the altitude work its magic on their opponent.

All in all, it was a helluva game and entertaining. Let's move on.

jjktkk
03-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Time was running out and he had to take the shot since no one else was in position or open. Denver defended us well with 9 seconds to go.

I think if someone takes the trouble to check, you'll find that he was shooting a great percentage on 3s in the first half. Everyone gets tired by the 4th quarter, especially in Denver after a very fast paced game.

The problem wasn't our offense. We simply never stopped Denver after the first half. Again, part of that is the Denver strategy to keep the pace fast, use their deep bench, and let the altitude work its magic on their opponent.

All in all, it was a helluva game and entertaining. Let's move on.

This. And for those complaining about Manu going for the 3, vs the 2, its SOP for the road team to go for the win, rather than tie it and go into overtime.

JR3
03-24-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm fine with the shot - he just didn't get the space he needed to shoot it where he wanted to. He can make that shot - Chances are he hits it in the playoffs. I don't mind neal or parker shooting with the game on the line. We have power on offense. But we lived and died by the 3 in denver. We needed more stops in the second half and that is why we lost. Not cuz of a badly drawn up play or Ginobili missing that shot. One more defensive stop and we are shooting a two to win it. That gives ginobili more options. He HAD to take a 3.

alchemist
03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
the last shot had to taken by Manu, Denver stayed on everyone on the 3.

ogait
03-24-2011, 10:23 AM
His shooting has been pretty bad this year and it seems like he's been chucking up more shots than he usually does. I wish he would just stop and find other ways to contribute.

Doesn't really matters if he chucks 3's for the rest of the regular season. He's been doing that for the all season and the Spurs been fine.

He already attempeted 409 3's this year, only Dorell Wright and J. Richardson tried more in the whole league. The most 3's he has taken in a previous season was 389 in 2007/2008, so he's already way past that in fewer games.
I don't think it's an indicative of him being tired or lack of hability to going to the rim, it's a way to keep being a threat reducing risks of injuries and fatigue.

His overall fg % is down because of that but the time to go all out and start attacking the rim more frequently is the playoffs not now. If he doesn't go one time to the ft line in the 4th quarter of a close game like this in the playoffs i'll be worried.

Fpoonsie
03-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I have less of a problem with his shot-selection at the end of the game than I do his complete. shit. defense. he played on the other end against Chandler.

The fucking flopping idiot.

ducks
03-24-2011, 10:33 AM
He was gassed at the end of the game, and should have tried to find his teammates. Oh fucking well. Take the good with the bad when it comes to Ginobili. The problem is the lineup that played really good defense and still scored a shitload of easy points in the first quarter didn't get any minutes after that.

IF HE WAS GASSED HE SHOULD NOT SHOT A STEP BACK SHOT
IT HAS NO FUCKING CHANCE IN HELL TO GO IN
HE NEEDS TO KNOW THAT
especially in high attitude

ducks
03-24-2011, 10:34 AM
he shoots a bad percentage for 3's and he in number 3 in the nba at the most attempts and after 132 of them last night he might be in first place
HE IS A FOOL

ducks
03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Manu's our closer, so I'm not gonna trash him for trying to win the game. I want Manu taking that shot every time.

yeah how dare you critize him but you praise him ...

Obstructed_View
03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Fuck off ducks, you inbred moron. You were probably rooting for Manu to miss that shot so you could trash him.

Again, for the ultra stupid, since he seems to be posting in here at the moment: Not the greatest shot, but there wasn't really a markedly better one if they were dead set on going for the win on the road.

And once again, the game should never have come down to a last shot. Get in a shooting battle with one of the best scoring teams in the league, get in a running contest with one of the best running teams in a high-altitude city, or put a non-defending lineup against the best free-throw drawing team in the league and you're going to have a hard time winning. Do all three of those things when your best player is out and you're going to be lucky not to get blown out.

Rummpd
03-24-2011, 11:19 AM
he was gassed after having to play small ball for an entire half instead of pick and roll with Dice and Splitter. he gave it his all and his ups are far more than his downs. Bonner and Blair ought to go hibernate and not come back till next Fall though please.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I'll be worried if he doesn't take it to the rack at the end of the games during the playoffs... right now fire away...

Spurs were down three. Taking it to the rack wasn't an option.

NRHector
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
why did the game had to come down to a heroic shot from Manu? because Pop keeps playing Bonner a lot of min. with Blair so if Pop was a little bit smarter we didn't have to depend on Manu to pull a rabbit from his Magic hat as he usually does.

admiralsnackbar
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm fine with high FGAs from the whole team as a means to get in a shooting rhythm and spare their bodies until the PO's. If our slashers and post players keep relying on jump shooting in the post season, then we have problems, obviously.

ducks
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
he was gassed after having to play small ball for an entire half instead of pick and roll with Dice and Splitter. he gave it his all and his ups are far more than his downs. Bonner and Blair ought to go hibernate and not come back till next Fall though please.

again gassed why on the court and then why shot the long step three
if he is that gassed he does not belong on the court

ducks
03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Fuck off ducks, you inbred moron. You were probably rooting for Manu to miss that shot so you could trash him.

Again, for the ultra stupid, since he seems to be posting in here at the moment: Not the greatest shot, but there wasn't really a markedly better one if they were dead set on going for the win on the road.

And once again, the game should never have come down to a last shot. Get in a shooting battle with one of the best scoring teams in the league, get in a running contest with one of the best running teams in a high-altitude city, or put a non-defending lineup against the best free-throw drawing team in the league and you're going to have a hard time winning. Do all three of those things when your best player is out and you're going to be lucky not to get blown out.

yeah ducks wants the spurs to lose:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

ElNono
03-24-2011, 12:10 PM
We should trade Manu for Lebron, ducks... what you think? :lol

Cessation
03-24-2011, 12:17 PM
How come ducks talks like that?

ALVAREZ6
03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Someone already said it, he's got no lift. The problem with Manu is he thinks he's stronger, physically, than he really is. Or at least that can be inferred from his play. He was never much of a "jump" shooter, he has more of a set shot, especially from range...he doesn't use his legs much in his 3 point shot, and thus is more reliant on the upper body (not very developed), and thus causes the shot to be harder to control on a consistent basis. Explains why he very often swishes them through, but also air balls and comes up short or veered from time to time. He's just not a pure shooter, and he doesn't understand it, because if he did, he wouldn't be hurting the team as much.

My biggest pet peeve in basketball is shot selection, and I wish it weren't true but quite frankly, Manu has been a retard in this regard.

Obstructed_View
03-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Spurs were down three. Taking it to the rack wasn't an option.

Believe they were down two.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-24-2011, 05:23 PM
More troubling than Manu's shot was the fact that we didn't draw up a better play. Granted our only option was a three attempt, but it appeared that the play was to get the ball to Manu and then have four other guys stand there and watch him.

MannyIsGod
03-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I wish I knew what percentage of those stepbacks he makes overall because I don't think its very high. Then again, I do think it serves to help his driving by tending to keep defenders a bit more honest so there is value in it outside the actual percentage he makes but probably not that much.

I'm not in love with his step back in any situation but it is what it is.

Anonymous Cowherd
03-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Why so much talk about the last shot? That's the one none of us should have a problem with - it's the ones he's taking and missing when the game's not on the line we should be concerned about!

Borosai
03-25-2011, 01:28 AM
That last play was horribly designed or poorly executed. I would expect more from this team.

ALVAREZ6
03-25-2011, 01:33 AM
That last play was horribly designed or poorly executed. I would expect more from this team.

Both. The whole thing looked like shit and from the start I could tell it wasn't going to amount to anything. I just really really really really really really hope Pop makes sure Manu puts more emphasis on slashing than 3s for the playoffs, but I really don't know what to expect at this point...he should already be going that route starting now for these final games.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2011, 11:10 PM
How ya like me now?