PDA

View Full Version : TP Interview

1Parker1
06-03-2005, 03:41 PM
It is done Tony, you are now in the finals!

It feels great. I am extremely happy that we do not have to play again against a very good Phoenix team. We though in this fifth game but we were all focusing on the task. While watching the video from game 4, we realized that we did let go a little bit at some time during the game; we did not defended for well. We had missed too many three-throws as well as easy shots. Unconsciously, by leading 3-0, we were a bit out of the series.

Tonight the win belongs to the entire group.

Tim launched the game to perfection. He was not missing anything and was taking all the rebounds. Phoenix then decided to double team him which allowed us to have some open shots. With Beno (Udrih), Brent (Barry), Robert and I we took advantage of this to shot from three points range. It is truly a nice collective win.

Your two three pointers in the third quarter were decisive.

I had a tough time in the first half. Believe it or not but It is difficult to shoot when you are alone and we had discuss this with « Pop ». It is a lot like Bruce (Bowen) on the sides. All I know is that Phoenix had decided to let me shot and as I am the guard, I was bringing the ball the length of the floor and was 18 feet from the basket with no one in front of me. I was not even passing the ball! It was bizarre but in the second half, I found a good rhythm. I was saying to myself: « Go for it, if you do not score your shots, it will be difficult». It paid and those two baskets hurt Phoenix a lot. With this series of shots, we created a gap that we were able to keep until the end of the game.

How is the atmosphere on the plane ?

Everybody is laughing and we are in a very good mood (Laughs). We all the same hat « Western Conference Champion ». It is truly awesome. We also have the trophy from the Western conference title that we were given at the end of the game.

Once you arrive in San Antonio, there shall be a lot of people greeting you !

I don’t even want to image that, it will be a total party. We will arrive in the midst of the night but we know that a few thousand fans will be there to greet us. It will be a party especially since we have eight days ahead of us before Game 1. Tonight we will be able to relax a little.

When you joined the Spurs in 2001, you would have signed with both hands if one had told you that you would play two NBA Finals in 4 years…

Absolutely and I am under the impression that I am lucky. To be in that situation with a great team and super teammates it truly amazing. Everyone does not care about who scores. What matters is the win and nothing else. We all go in the same direction.

We feel that you are happy…

I am because I am looking at the smiles on the faces of Glenn Robinson and Tony Massenburg. It is the first time they reach the NBA Finals and it shows. It makes me happy and it reminds me of the 2003 finals.

At the end of the game, you’ve exchanged a few words with Steve Nash. What did you say to each other ?

He congratulated me for the nice series I had just played and concluded by telling me: « Now, fo get that second title. » There is a lot of respect between us.

Now, you are just awaiting for your opponent in the finals.

Game 1 is in San Antonio on June 9th. We thus have eight days ahead of us to prepare for the finals. We will watch with much attention the Miami-Detroit series. Personally, I would rather spend a week in South Beach! (Laughs) It will be a lot better.

With an eight days break you are not afraid you might lack rhythm in the first game of the finals ?

No I do not think so. It is very good thing for Tim as he will be able to rest his ankles. It is much the same for the rest of the team as we are all a bit tired.

www.tp9.net

1Parker1
06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
At the end of the game, you’ve exchanged a few words with Steve Nash. What did you say to each other ?

He congratulated me for the nice series I had just played and concluded by telling me: « Now, fo get that second title. » There is a lot of respect between us.

Very nice of Nash....

ducks
06-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Believe it or not but It is difficult to shoot when you are alone and we had discuss this with « Pop ». It is a lot like Bruce (Bowen) on the sides. All I know is that Phoenix had decided to let me shot and as I am the guard, I was bringing the ball the length of the floor and was 18 feet from the basket with no one in front of me

somtimes a player can to open

SWC Bonfire
06-03-2005, 03:47 PM
It will be a party especially since we have eight days ahead of us before Game 1.

Ahh, the French.

1Parker1
06-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Ahh, the French.

:lol Yep, they do know how to party in style.

SWC Bonfire
06-03-2005, 03:53 PM
:lol Yep, they do know how to party in style.

No shit, I was on the Champs d'Ellysse when France won the world cup in '98. They had a big projection screen near the Hotel d' Citi & huge loudspeakers for everybody, not like you could hear it over the crowd.

Much wine was consumed by all. :drunk

boutons
06-03-2005, 03:56 PM
"they do know how to party in style."

Actually, they aren't a very partying people. They are very concerned about appearances and not looking stupid or being laughed at, just like a lot of Latin countries.

It's northern Europe, north of the Rhine, and by immigration, the US where you find the real wild-ass, dumb-ass, drunken, binging type of partying.

1Parker1
06-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Actually, they aren't a very partying people. They are very concerned about appearances and not looking stupid or being laughed at, just like a lot of Latin countries.

It's northern Europe, north of the Rhine, and by immigration, the US where you find the real wild-ass, dumb-ass, drunken, binging type of partying.

Wow. Look at Mr. Diplomat over here with all the worldly knowledge. Who woulda guessed? :)

SWC Bonfire
06-03-2005, 04:04 PM

Yes, most had some fun in a reserved way. They generally hold their liquor a lot better than most Americans. Acting like a drunken ass is actually frowned upon, how about that? (Don't mention Tony @ the river parade in 2003 - too late! Crap! Oh, well.) To say that they weren't happy was a bit inaccurate, though.

But it wasn't American tourists rioting & flipping cars over in the busiest street in town. :lol

hendrix
06-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Yes, most had some fun in a reserved way. They generally hold their liquor a lot better than most Americans. Acting like a drunken ass is actually frowned upon, how about that? (Don't mention Tony @ the river parade in 2003 - too late! Crap! Oh, well.) To say that they weren't happy was a bit inaccurate, though.

But it wasn't American tourists rioting & flipping cars over in the busiest street in town. :lol

Well... in "Rioting", United States is a little bit behind of the rest of the world nowadays. I hope better times for you people :)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-03-2005, 05:24 PM

Have you ever been to a fiesta anywhere south of the US border? The last thing that we are thinking is about appearances!

I'm saying this since you said "Latin", which is the word in Spanish to define everyone who lives south of the US, and also Italy, France, Portugal and Spain.

I do believe that the French and Portuguese are cold, but the rest of the Latin countries, I don't think so.

spurschick
06-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I've never been south of the US border, but by the looks of things, like carnivale, Latin Americans know how to party. :spin

hendrix
06-03-2005, 06:48 PM
I've never been south of the US border, but by the looks of things, like carnivale, Latin Americans know how to party. :spin

Well yeah, that was a good example. Brazilians know how to party, the "Carnaval" is a killer example. As people say here... "Rack!" (thats to you Spurschick). :)