PDA

View Full Version : motorcycles

stretch
03-24-2011, 10:48 AM
thinking about getting my license here soon and getting a bike. recommendations?

tlongII
03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I recommend good health insurance.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
And a good bike

silverblk mystix
03-24-2011, 11:03 AM
What kind of use...

Commute to work...

Cruising on Sundays...

Short or long highway trips/touring...

Racing...

Gas saver...

Riding alone or with a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife...

figure those things first before buying....otherwise you buy a cruiser/harley type cause it looks cool...then discover on your first road trip that the seat sucks, your ass hurts, the ride is uncomfortable,etc...and end up parking it most of the year...

or

you get a japanese crotch rocket because all the magazines rate it highly and discover that your passengers are uncomfortable, the insurance is high, the sitting/riding position is awkward and uncomfortable,etc...and you end up parking it in the garage most of the year...

stretch
03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
i'd prefer a sport bike

i would drive it to work a few times a week probably.

Blake
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
I've have friends in EMS jobs refer to them as donorcycles.

DeadlyDynasty
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I've have friends in EMS jobs refer to them as donorcycles.

Yup:lol

Motorcycle wrecks/traumas are some of the best calls we get

stretch
03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
i want recommendations on bikes. not horror stories about dumbasses who dont know how to fucking drive

FL0
03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
I recommend good health insurance.

And MC insurance!

clambake
03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
i want recommendations on bikes. not horror stories about dumbasses who dont know how to fucking drive

it's not just about whether you can ride.

Chachachango
03-24-2011, 11:55 AM
lol i was thinking getting one too after i take a motorcycle class and get my license. I'm thinking of going with a harley dyna super glide just to cruise and for work. I've never gotten in a wreck driving a vehicle and I consider myself a good driver. I don't know how that translates into motorcycles. The thing is, in SA and theres a lot of idiots behind the wheel.

stretch
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
it's not just about whether you can ride.

its not about how you stand by your car, its how you race your car. you better learn that.

http://images.artistdirect.com/Images/nad/video/tribune/26808/26808_an.jpg

stretch
03-24-2011, 11:57 AM
lol i was thinking getting one too after i take a motorcycle class and get my license. I'm thinking of going with a harley dyna super glide just to cruise and for work. I've never gotten in a wreck driving a vehicle and I consider myself a good driver. I don't know how that translates into motorcycles. The thing is, in SA and theres a lot of idiots behind the wheel.

yeah, generally its the other morons on the road you have to worry about, like old people, and fucking women drivers

The Gemini Method
03-24-2011, 11:59 AM
There are so many variables that come into play when riding a motorcycle. It's definitely not the most safest mode of transportation. I personally gave it up after my friend was seriously injured in an accident, but I did rock an R6 for 6 months. If I were to get another one, I'd get a Norton Commando like the one Joshua Jackson rode in that movie One Week.

Cane
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
When it comes to riding bikes, its not about if you crash and burn but when. Won't always be your fault either especially in the state of jacked up trucks although it will be your fault for riding in the first place. And this is coming from a guy with riding in his blood.

You might want to check in on a real motorcycle forum where they have plenty of threads for newbies. You're also going to have to cough up some details like riding experience, mechanical experience, price range, and your body weight to find the best fit.

Tbh I'd just get a dirtbike and have fun going off roading. Still dangerous but I'd rather deal with those factors than those on the street especially for a new rider.

Sportcamper
03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Stretch- It is kind of hard to make any recommendation since you posted no information…..How old are you? What kind of budget are we talking about? Do you have any riding experience…For the record, navigating a motorcycle in traffic is an acquired skill…Most riders rode dirt bikes years before the turned 16 so riding the bike was not the issue…The real skill is knowing how to stay out of harms way…

Fonzie
03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
http://info.detnews.com/pix/joyrides/2005/krusemuseum05/fonzietriumph.jpg

clambake
03-24-2011, 12:16 PM
think ahead. burial or cremation?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
We should post crash pics.

clambake
03-24-2011, 12:19 PM
We should post crash pics.

or anything from a blender.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2011, 12:21 PM

http://zombie.clue-free.com/tpt/newstuff/folgers.jpg

Sportcamper
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Niiice...:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
or anything from a blender.

I vote for pics and I have just the site :D

silverblk mystix
03-24-2011, 12:25 PM
i'd prefer a sport bike

i would drive it to work a few times a week probably.

I would recommend a sport/touring bike because the ride and the seat and the gas mileage are superior to strict sport bikes and strict cruisers...

they are also more comfortable and this will translate to you riding more often and becoming a better rider since it usually comes down to experience--if you want to stay alive...

I also got rid of mine because my best friend got killed and all my other friends---who are still alive...walk funny, are missing chunks of legs, have scars, surgeries,etc...

I rode for many,many years and consider myself lucky to be alive...

The only thing that kept me alive was that EVERYTIME I rode...I would LITERALLY pretend that I was invisible...

This will keep you from assuming that the guy or gal in the car approaching you will drive logically and yield for you or stay out of your lane...

They literally (motorists in cars/trucks/big vehicles) will stare right at you...you think they are looking at you...you logically assume that they will drive logically---then they pull right in front of you or turn right in front of you....

It is psychological...I think it has something to do with the brain not really registering that they see you for a split second...then it may be too late...

Good luck.

DeadlyDynasty
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM
It would be a HIPAA violation if I posted the wreck pics I have :lol

silverblk mystix
03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
...oh yeah...a girl friend of mine called them- "murdercycles"

stretch
03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Stretch- It is kind of hard to make any recommendation since you posted no information…..How old are you? What kind of budget are we talking about? Do you have any riding experience…For the record, navigating a motorcycle in traffic is an acquired skill…Most riders rode dirt bikes years before the turned 16 so riding the bike was not the issue…The real skill is knowing how to stay out of harms way…

ive rode dirtbikes and atvs and crap like that plenty

in my mid 20s now

im not trying to spend an arm and a leg, but i do want something pretty decent

id prefer a crotch rocket

i probably wont be riding a ton in traffic for a while though, of course im gonna take some time first to get a better feel before i decide to drive it to work or anything like that, mainly just leisure/weekend riding for a while

im naturally a pretty defensive driver as is, usually try staying away from other vehicles because people are stupid, and always getting out of blind spots of other drivers as quickly as possible. i never allow myself to ride side by side with other drivers, so in case someone in front of me fucks up, i can have room on my sides to steer out of trouble. the only wreck I had was some dumb coked out lady ran a red light and caused the wreck. ever since then, im really cautious when approaching and in intersections. from some stats i saw, it said that the majority of bike accidents happen in intersections.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-24-2011, 12:30 PM
It would be a HIPAA violation if I posted the wreck pics I have :lol

Have? Wow.

stretch
03-24-2011, 12:30 PM
The only thing that kept me alive was that EVERYTIME I rode...I would LITERALLY pretend that I was invisible...

This will keep you from assuming that the guy or gal in the car approaching you will drive logically and yield for you or stay out of your lane...

They literally (motorists in cars/trucks/big vehicles) will stare right at you...you think they are looking at you...you logically assume that they will drive logically---then they pull right in front of you or turn right in front of you....

It is psychological...I think it has something to do with the brain not really registering that they see you for a split second...then it may be too late...

Thats pretty much how I drive period, especially ever since my wreck. I always assume the worst of drivers, and try staying away from other people as much as possible, keeping myself in a position where I can maneuver myself out of trouble in case someone else does something stupid.

Cane
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Or donate the skeleton for a custom bike build:

http://www.bradwilsonlive.com/images/skull_bike.jpg

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
dirt bike riding is far > street bike riding in so many ways
so much so, that if i were to ever "need" a streetbike, i'd get a kawi kdx enduro

Sportcamper
03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I like sport bikes but I am a tall rider & I really can’t get comfortable on one…My two favorite bikes right now are the Kawasaki KDX 650 and the Honda ST1300…The Honda is a state of the art sport tour and the Kawasaki is a dual sport…I really enjoy off road riding…Nothing like exploring dirt roads…KDX’s can be had new for 5k….Dealers often have older models unsold, new in the crate…Harleys are great if you have a lot of money, only ride around the block a couple times and have a Japanese bike for serious riding…

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuUGTBy3TrfVRKUhwJ4vBpZDgORo1B1 jpZq3iELqn30y6OBWOEhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTC0vwoa-FIjJ83eDWEbDF1mEL9VRSNtlTaXjqGN1GpcFl8Im2g

monosylab1k
03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
yeah, generally its the other morons on the road you have to worry about, like old people, and fucking women drivers

And mexicans. Especially mexicans.

Not racist if it's true

silverblk mystix
03-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Not racist if it's true

Oh yeah...it's not racist...there is actually a missing gene in mexicans in regards to driving...the "no manejomicroorganism"...

kinda like the gene that is missing from blacks...

I believe it is called the "uneducated ebonix-microorganism" gene...

not racist if true...

DeadlyDynasty
03-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Have? Wow.

Had*

It's pretty much against it to even take them at the scene, but they're good to show the ER Docs and trauma team, so they get a better idea of the MOI

*disclaimer

clambake
03-24-2011, 01:16 PM
why don't you get motorcycle tattoos......wait for it.......on your calves.

Greg Oden
03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh yeah...it's not racist...there is actually a missing gene in mexicans in regards to driving...the "no manejomicroorganism"...

kinda like the gene that is missing from blacks...

I believe it is called the "uneducated ebonix-microorganism" gene...

not racist if true...

so it's safe to say you're a mexican after det one.

silverblk mystix
03-24-2011, 01:27 PM
so it's safe to say you're a mexican after det one.

Not safe to ever assume anything...

Kyle Orton
03-24-2011, 01:29 PM
A Mexican cop lover? That's a rare anomaly.

Kyle Orton
03-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Not racist if it's true
Sorry senor, but Asians are just as bad at driving as Mexicans if not worse. An Asian woman behind the wheel of a car is the equivalent of someone else driving with a .23 blood alcohol level while simultaneously texting and scrolling through his ipod.

stretch
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Sorry senor, but Asians are just as bad at driving as Mexicans if not worse. An Asian woman behind the wheel of a car is the equivalent of someone else driving with a .23 blood alcohol level while simultaneously texting and scrolling through his ipod.

thats the key word here

Kyle Orton
03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
thats the key word here

Asian women are worse than other women, and I've seen plenty of horrible Asian male drivers. The term "DWA" doesn't stem from nothing.

benefactor
03-24-2011, 02:01 PM
This is currently the only thing I have been approved for.

http://www.speedflux.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/can-am-spyder-motorcycle-4.jpg

They've gotten pretty good reviews from what I've read. ABS, traction control, anti-rollover system, etc. People who have rode them say it's like driving a really fast ATV on the street.

Soul_Patch
03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
friend had a person turn in front of him, he had a helmet on. He went through the passenger window of the car, sliced an artery in his leg and he bled out.

Id love a motorcycle, personally, but not at the expense of my life.

I really like those tree wheel jobs...look safer for some reason.

http://www.newautomobileonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Can-Am_Spyder_2009.jpg

Soul_Patch
03-24-2011, 02:07 PM
damn, bene beat me to it.

Halberto
03-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Damn. I was serioualy considering getting a bike until reading this thread.

Drachen
03-24-2011, 02:51 PM
I know that all of these answers that you are getting are not coming close to answering your question. While safety is important, and I hope you think about it always, I will try to get a little closer to the mark to give you the answer you are truely looking for.
I don't know much about crotch rockets, but will try to relate some general ideas. First, don't be an idiot, take the MSF. You can sign up at themotorcycleschool.com. Secondly, if you are > than a novice mechanic then this one won't really matter, but if you are novice or below, try to get something air cooled. Less systems = less to go wrong = easier to fix. On this same note, if you are not mechanically inclined, or if you don't have a lot of time then try to get something built within the last 10-12 years and no more. I am speaking from experience. Regular bike maintenance takes more time than regular car maintenance, if you add on that an older bike will be more likely to have systems fail, this can eat up your time. Also, shaft-driven bikes require FAR less regular maintenance than chain bikes (no experience with belt-driven bikes). The only downside to shaft driven that I have found is that it is slightly less powerful than an identical chain driven bike, but it is hardly noticable (really I highly recommend shaft driven). Third, get something < 500cc for your first bike. I know male ego won't let you get less power, but manuverability is tantamount. I started with a 2006 Rebel 250 even though I am 5'10'' 230 and I was able to top out at 83 MPH so highway speeds are less than no problem. I currently own a 1984 honda sabre 700 as well, but I still like to ride the rebel too just because the manuverability makes it so fun to ride (I can make a u-turn in a parking space!).

Please ask any other questions that you have.

P.S. If you do have a lot of time to learn, an older bike is most certainly a good way to learn and extremely economical.

Tree hugger
03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
http://www.treehugger.com/scooter-electric-rndp03.jpg

Bender
03-24-2011, 03:03 PM
like sportcamper said, I can't ride the sportbikes / crotch rockets either. I'm too tall to be scrunched up on top of one. they're made for shrimps.

I ride a kawasaki cruiser a couple time a week to work. I ride like everyone around me is going to try to kill me.

I also think that the excessive power and acceleration of sportbikes encourages reckless riding, even with responsible riders...

monosylab1k
03-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Asian women are worse than other women, and I've seen plenty of horrible Asian male drivers. The term "DWA" doesn't stem from nothing.

Oh Asians are shit drivers too, there's no denying that. But at least they understand the elementary rules of driving, actually have state issued licenses, dont leave their right turn signal on for miles at a time without ever changing lanes, or generally treat US roadways like they're on some Tijuana clusterfuck.

Drachen
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
like sportcamper said, I can't ride the sportbikes / crotch rockets either. I'm too tall to be scrunched up on top of one. they're made for shrimps.

I ride a kawasaki cruiser a couple time a week to work. I ride like everyone around me is going to try to kill me.

I also think that the excessive power and acceleration of sportbikes encourages reckless riding, even with responsible riders...

This!

Plus cruisers are far more comfortable (IMO) than riding in the fetal position

01Snake
03-24-2011, 03:16 PM
GSXR-750. Fun as hell. I tend to do 90% of my riding out in the Hill Country as far from traffic as I can get.

Get a bike. You'll love it.

Soul_Patch
03-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I know that all of these answers that you are getting are not coming close to answering your question. While safety is important, and I hope you think about it always, I will try to get a little closer to the mark to give you the answer you are truely looking for.
I don't know much about crotch rockets, but will try to relate some general ideas. First, don't be an idiot, take the MSF. You can sign up at themotorcycleschool.com. Secondly, if you are > than a novice mechanic then this one won't really matter, but if you are novice or below, try to get something air cooled. Less systems = less to go wrong = easier to fix. On this same note, if you are not mechanically inclined, or if you don't have a lot of time then try to get something built within the last 10-12 years and no more. I am speaking from experience. Regular bike maintenance takes more time than regular car maintenance, if you add on that an older bike will be more likely to have systems fail, this can eat up your time. Also, shaft-driven bikes require FAR less regular maintenance than chain bikes (no experience with belt-driven bikes). The only downside to shaft driven that I have found is that it is slightly less powerful than an identical chain driven bike, but it is hardly noticable (really I highly recommend shaft driven). Third, get something < 500cc for your first bike. I know male ego won't let you get less power, but manuverability is tantamount. I started with a 2006 Rebel 250 even though I am 5'10'' 230 and I was able to top out at 83 MPH so highway speeds are less than no problem. I currently own a 1984 honda sabre 700 as well, but I still like to ride the rebel too just because the manuverability makes it so fun to ride (I can make a u-turn in a parking space!).

Please ask any other questions that you have.

P.S. If you do have a lot of time to learn, an older bike is most certainly a good way to learn and extremely economical.

Well said, good info. thanks!

Bender
03-24-2011, 04:20 PM
drachen - my current ride is my first belt-drive. now that I've experienced all three drive types, belt is the way to go. so smooth, and no maintenance.

Drachen
03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
drachen - my current ride is my first belt-drive. now that I've experienced all three drive types, belt is the way to go. so smooth, and very low, or no, maintenance.

How quickly does it stretch? I would assume that the difference between belt and chain is that while you don't have to oil a belt every 500 miles, that it would stretch and wear out more quickly. Is this true? Also are there any other differences?

Bender
03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
not sure, but I've read that modern technology belts last a long time, maybe the life of the bike... I've been riding for 37 years, and from now on, it's belt drive for me... (unless I get an old classic chain drive just for fun). I hated my shaft drive bike, it had a weird jerk when first accelerating. I've read that shaft drives are somewhat better regarding that problem than they used to be though.

well, I guess belts do require periodic checking/adjusting... but I know some people who put 80k or 100k on belts.

CuckingFunt
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Norton Commando

http://info.detnews.com/pix/joyrides/2005/krusemuseum05/fonzietriumph.jpg

Thumbs up to both of these. I'd kill for an old Triumph or Norton. Or maybe one of the old Hondas, circa the 1960-65 range.

Not to ride, though. Or, at least, not to ride in populated areas. I love motorcycles and have spent a lot of time around them, but EVERY person I know who rides has crashed at least once. And in most cases, it wasn't their fault.

Bender
03-24-2011, 04:34 PM
my first street bike was an original triumph trident. My next bike was an original norton commando...

oh man, I wish I still had both !!

Drachen
03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
not sure, but I've read that modern technology belts last a long time, maybe the life of the bike... I've been riding for 37 years, and from now on, it's belt drive for me... (unless I get an old classic chain drive just for fun). I hated my shaft drive bike, it had a weird jerk when first accelarating. I've read that shaft drives are somewhat better regarding that problem than they used to be though.

well, I guess belts do require periodic checking/adjusting... but I know some people who put 80k or 100k on belts.

Very cool, that opens up the possibilities whenever I decide its time for a new bike. I haven't noticed any problems with my shaft drive, and I keep the rebel as the wife's bike, but also so I can have some chain driven fun every once in a while.

One more compliment I will give the rebel, they don't lose their value. I could sell it for more today than I bought it for a few years back. I regularly see 85 rebels going on craigslist for more over a grand.

CuckingFunt
03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
my first street bike was an original triumph trident. My next bike was an original norton commando...

oh man, I wish I still had both !!

I know a few people who have had to let go of old Norton's. They all mourn the decision.

Bender
03-24-2011, 04:40 PM
most of the stuff I've gotten rid of... at least in terms of guns, cars, and motorcycles, I've regretted... :cry

Drachen
03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
most of the stuff I've gotten rid of... at least in terms of guns, cars, and motorcycles, I've regretted... :cry

Of late, the 84 sabre is requiring a little more time than I have since I have a family, grad school, and work. My wife is currently pregnant so she told me I can sell the Rebel as long as I buy her another bike in 2 years. I have thought seriously about selling the both of them in order to buy a newer bike, but I am having problems bringing myself to pull the trigger on selling the rebel. I just (2 nights ago) got the Sabre running again. I thought the jets were clogged, but when I took the carbs off to clean them, I discovered that the carb assembly was cracked. I bought one off of ebay (and cleaned the carbs), put it all back together, it started beautifully and ran for about 15 mins and radiator fluid sprayed from the thermostat area. SOOOOO CLOSE! I haven't inspected it yet as it was late that night, but it is possible that there was a hose that I didn't tighten (I hope) when I was putting it all back together. However, this is the reason that I am having thoughts of throwing in the towel on this one and selling them both to get a newer one. If it wasn't for grad school, I wouldn't think twice about keeping and renewing the thing.