PDA

View Full Version : « Back to Article Librarians at Alamo Colleges are facing cuts

Mr.Bookman
03-24-2011, 10:59 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/article/Librarians-at-Alamo-Colleges-are-facing-cuts-1279493.php

Read it and weep.

Some librarians at the Alamo Colleges will lose faculty status and become staff members, one of many cost-cutting measures beginning to significantly affect the sprawling community college system.

Though librarians with tenure will be allowed to keep faculty status, new hires will be classified as professional staff, a move that's expected to save $300,000 per year, according to district officials.

The 11 adjunct faculty librarians, who work part-time, will be dropped to professional staff beginning this summer, resulting in a 30 percent pay cut for some.

Renata Gibson, an adjunct librarian at Northwest Vista College, told trustees at Tuesday's board meeting the change would drop her pay from $23,000 to $15,000 a year.

“I rely on this job to make ends meet,” said Gibson, a new mother. “I am getting scared about what will happen.”

Robert Aguero, vice chancellor for academic success, said in a memo that hiring professional staff on a 12-month contract rather than faculty on a nine-month contract makes more sense for the district because library services are provided year-round.

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-2011, 03:23 PM
That's not cool.

bus driver
03-24-2011, 04:15 PM
they better get into technology

Blake
03-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Part time professionals?

How many hours a week do they work?

AmericanPsycho
03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I haven't been in a library in years.

ashbeeigh
03-24-2011, 06:36 PM
“I rely on this job to make ends meet,” .

I love this. I'm pretty sure that's what most jobs are for.

Although i hate to see anyone losing their job.

ploto
03-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Part time professionals?

How many hours a week do they work?

ACCD hires librarians part-time (19 hours) especially to work nights and weekends. ACCD benefits by hiring 2 part-time people with no benefits. They must have a master's degree and they were being paid as adjunct faculty. Now, they will make about 2/3 of what they were making per hour. Also, some people work this job in addition to their regular full-time job because librarian pay is low for having to have a master's degree.

Also, many of the professors with ACCD are part-time adjunct faculty.

Jekka
03-24-2011, 07:22 PM
As long as those librarians are required to have the same education as faculty (masters at a minimum for almost all professional librarian positions) then they should be classified as faculty.

Granted, I work at a 4-year college and am still considered staff, but at least I wasn't fucking demoted. My library's director has been trying to get MS-degreed librarians promoted to faculty for years.

Hungry farmer
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
You got to really love it to take that pay with a Masters Degree.