PDA

View Full Version : Question for Texas Fans

JayTheClown
03-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Why does Rick Barnes have a job? I admit I don't really keep up with the Longhorns so I don't know much about you guys situation in detail. The Longhorns always start real strong then oddly fades in the later half of season only to lose early in the tournament. Its really incredible considering the talent the Longhorns seem to recruit every year (maybe that is Barnes strengths). I don't understand why your AD cant see that this screams bad coaching. Its a shame Billy Gillispie got picked up by Tech. I actually think Gillispie would have made more sense coaching in Austin then in Lubbock. Its going to be hard for Billy to convince recruits to go up there (Maybe I'm wrong), but it seemed Knight had a hard time at it.

DMX7
03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
I guess because he's a "good guy" and does land big time recruits. He just sucks as a coach apparently.

Blake
03-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Why does Rick Barnes have a job? I admit I don't really keep up with the Longhorns so I don't know much about you guys situation in detail. The Longhorns always start real strong then oddly fades in the later half of season only to lose early in the tournament. Its really incredible considering the talent the Longhorns seem to recruit every year (maybe that is Barnes strengths). I don't understand why your AD cant see that this screams bad coaching. Its a shame Billy Gillispie got picked up by Tech. I actually think Gillispie would have made more sense coaching in Austin then in Lubbock. Its going to be hard for Billy to convince recruits to go up there (Maybe I'm wrong), but it seemed Knight had a hard time at it.

Tech had plenty of talent in the 90s on both the men and women's side.

I got the feeling from day 1 when Knight showed up that he thought the recruits would just come because he is 'Bob Knight'.

I also think that his past issues were just too much for some.

Either way, good riddance.

JayTheClown
03-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech had plenty of talent in the 90s on both the men and women's side.

I got the feeling from day 1 when Knight showed up that he thought the recruits would just come because he is 'Bob Knight'.

I also think that his past issues were just too much for some.

Either way, good riddance.

Like I said I'm not very knowledgeable on Tech and Texas and their circumstances. All I do know is Gillispe was a hell of a pickup by you guys.:toast
Kentucky were fools for letting him go the way they did.

Axe Murderer
03-25-2011, 12:19 AM

John Calipari?

symple19
03-25-2011, 04:46 AM

wow, I can't believe you just said that.

Axe Murderer
03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
yeah I'm sure UK is kicking themselves by releasing a guy who couldn't even get them to the NCAA Tournament and replacing him with a guy who got them a 1 seed just one year later

stretch
03-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I guess because he's a "good guy" and does land big time recruits. He just sucks as a coach apparently.

sounds like mack brown

Greg Oden
03-25-2011, 12:19 PM
sounds like mack brown

sup mack brown turdfaggit

Blake
03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
yeah I'm sure UK is kicking themselves by releasing a guy who couldn't even get them to the NCAA Tournament

how much does it suck that this is a good hire for Tech

Kermit
03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
yeah I'm sure UK is kicking themselves by releasing a guy who couldn't even get them to the NCAA Tournament and replacing him with a guy who got them a 1 seed just one year later

You can thank World Wide Wes for that improvement.

Axe Murderer
03-25-2011, 03:48 PM
how much does it suck that this is a good hire for Tech

tbh he's been good pretty much everywhere but Kentucky. And even there he wasn't horrible. Just not good enough for that rabid fanbase.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-26-2011, 12:12 AM
He has a job because the Texas basketball program is making more money than it ever has, and money is all that UT ever cares about.

Rick Barnes is looked upon as the DKR of UT basketball and it makes my stomach convulse every time I hear a longhorn fan defending Barnes.
He fucking blows now. He got us to the next level. Now we gotta kick his ass out and let someone else take us to the promised land.

symple19
03-26-2011, 08:28 AM
tbh he's been good pretty much everywhere but Kentucky. And even there he wasn't horrible. Just not good enough for that rabid fanbase.

Yeah, living here in Lexington I can't believe how hated Gillespie is. I mean, this is the program that let Tubby Smith go because he couldn't win another natty and wasn't recruiting well enough. Granted, Tubby did it with Patino's players, but still.

Cal is beloved here already, mostly because he recruits better than probably anyone else in the nation. What worries most UK people is whether he'll keep it clean.

Personally, I think he's going to have to get some kids who will stay for more than a couple years before they can ever win it all. Knight will probably leave, and that means they'll have to rely on another freshman next year to be their go-to guy. I seriously doubt they'll get to the promised land this year (just like last year) because eventually a team filled with freshman lays an egg, and they're about due

As for Billy, he'll be a significant improvement at TT. No question the guy can get teams into the tournament. May take him a couple years (assuming he can stay away from the bottle), but eventually the Raiders will be dancing

Cant_Be_Faded
03-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Coach Cal had like three or four preeminant point guards in a row. No way he's keeping it clean.