PDA

View Full Version : Secure #1 seed, Grizz should pass NO

JonNOKC
03-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I think securing the top spot and getting the Hornets (looks like West to miss PO) could be big if TD isn't back 100%.

With West out I think the Grizz will end up the 7th seed - and a Hornets team without West is clearly the weakest of the 5-8 seeded teams & should mean Spurs could win without playing TD many minutes quite possibly wrapping up series quickly.

Ultimately I think a SA/NO series means a well rested Big 3 and could be big for the Spurs championship hopes

Any thoughts??\

DrSteffo
03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
We can secure the top seed but not do anything beyond that? I just hope we avoid Portland, that would be a real nightmare.

JonNOKC
03-25-2011, 09:44 AM
We can secure the top seed but not do anything beyond that? I just hope we avoid Portland, that would be a real nightmare.

I just think securing the top spot could be more even more important than just having HCA - previously it looked as Grizz was more probable matchup and falling to #2 would have some advantages (easier 1st round opp. and opposite bracket of DAL and LA) but I think the ideal situation is getting the weakest 1st round opponent as after that there is no easy matchups. Injury to West (if as serious as it appears -looks like ACL or MCL) makes NO the best scenario IMO

in2deep
03-25-2011, 09:48 AM
NOLA probably weakest team in playoffs. Grizz better but since Gay out, not by much. After those 2 the competition gets scary.

Portland/Denver equally dangerous and dark horses.

OKC/Dallas/Spurs definitely contenders in West.

Lakers head and shoulders above all.

JR3
03-25-2011, 09:51 AM
I agree that securing #1 is huge now. I thought this once I saw west was injured. I just don't think our chances are great beating memphis without a healthy duncan. Memphis can board like crazy.

Fireball
03-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I had exactly the same thought when I heard about the West injury (is it already confirmed what an injury he has?). Defensively the Spurs just have problems with a "shooting power forward" (Dirk, West, Aldridge, even Gasol ...), so with West out of the equation the Hornets would be an ideal first round matchup ...

rmt
03-25-2011, 10:19 AM
NOH has a killer schedule left so they should drop below MEM. However, they might continue dropping past PHX and HOU. Don't want anything to do with PHX after see their double overtime game against LA. They are getting healthy and surging. I'd have nightmares of seeing Bonner getting burnt by Frye (who seems so clutch).

What do you think about HOU? With TD coming back from injury, their front court shouldn't be too bad - Scola, Hayes.

TE
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
NOH will drop out of the playoffs. Memphis will move on up. We'll be facing either Phoenix, Utah, or Houston.

Manu-of-steel
03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Remove utah from possible PO opponents. It's a race among NO, hou, and phx for the 8th seed.

JonNOKC
03-25-2011, 01:08 PM
I agree PHX could be dangerous - although both SA and PHX have very different personnel this year - Prefer order IMO

1. NO
2. HOU
3. PHX

but any of these 3 are much easier than MEM or POR, especially if TD isn't 100%

boutons_deux
03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
oops

cheguevara
03-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Don't want anything to do with PHX after see their double overtime game against LA. They are getting healthy and surging. I'd have nightmares of seeing Bonner getting burnt by Frye (who seems so clutch).

Jesus Christ spursfans. What is the point of the Spurs even being in the playoffs if they shouldn't even face the Suns in round 1 because they might lose.

Show some backbone! bring on whoever whenever. :pctoss

DontStopBelieving
03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
If we can't beat any of those teams in the first round in under 6 games, we really shouldn't even be dreaming of a championship..

Couldn't care less about our matchup.

rmt
03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
If we can't beat any of those teams in the first round in under 6 games, we really shouldn't even be dreaming of a championship..

Couldn't care less about our matchup.

Tell that to DAL 07. Sports are all about match ups - see Federer and Nadal. Some players/teams are nightmare match ups. Maybe it's the xx genes in me, but I prefer the path of least resistance. Why mess with a surging, healthy PHX that swept SA last year instead of a West-less NOH or small, Yao-less HOU?

EricB
03-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah Stoudamire creates a bad matchup against PHX every... Oh wait...

timtonymanu
03-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Phoenix doesnt intimidate me. JRich > Carter. Amare is gone and even Spur killer Dragic.

4>0rings
03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Playing NO in the first round and securing the #1 is HUGE.

nkdlunch
03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
grow some balls ppl

EricB
03-25-2011, 04:01 PM
It's official West torn ACL done for season. Most likely spurs will get suns or Rockets. I'm rooting for Houston. Scrappy tough good test and within driving distance lol

Creation88
03-25-2011, 04:14 PM
first thing i thought was that i hope the Hornets drop to 8th. Griz are the first team i dont wanna face. gimme PHX, Jazz, Hornets, Rockets over them.

Drewlius
03-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Phoenix doesnt intimidate me. JRich > Carter. Amare is gone and even Spur killer Dragic.

This +1

TVI
03-25-2011, 06:38 PM
I agree with the path of least resistance. Championships are a combination of skill, execution, and luck. I'll take an easy route over a hard one any day. A well-rested group can mean the difference between getting past the second round, and falling short (see 2006 series vs. Dallas)

JonNOKC
03-25-2011, 07:03 PM
grow some balls ppl

I don't think anyone is scared of playing any team - simply the West injury will probably mean the #1 seed clearly gets the easiest matchup whether NO holds on for 8 spot or new team moves in - considering Duncan injury and age of some of our key guys - a short series or one where guys can play less minutes would be a benefit to the Spurs

Spurs and Mavs fan
03-25-2011, 07:07 PM
West has torn his ACL, according to Yahoo Sports. The timetable is that he'll be gone for 6 months.

Bottom line: Root with all your might for this SAS-NOH matchup.

Seventyniner
03-25-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't think the Hornets (without West), Rockets, Jazz, or Suns could take more than 1 game from a healthy Spurs squad. If Memphis rises to #7, the Spurs should be able to coast through round 1 and get more rest for Duncan.

easy7
03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
We should just tank and lose in the first round and not make the playoffs next season so nobody is scared in here that we play anyone in the playoffs. We don't want anyone here to lose sleep at nights, pussies.