PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Splitter in the game in the fourth?!

Buddy Holly
03-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Pop you stupid fucking stubborn asshole.

ElNono
03-25-2011, 11:25 PM
He's too tall

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2011, 11:26 PM
:lol He was by far the best big on the floor tonight, but he can't see the floor when the Spurs needed him most..

Death In June
03-25-2011, 11:29 PM
It wouldn't be fair to splitter or the team. The other team just made some shots.

4>0rings
03-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Cause he showed up that damn pizza race retard.

Obstructed_View
03-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Newman on with Schoening talking about how good Splitter is. ??

Mugen
03-25-2011, 11:34 PM
because he needs to get over himself first.

jeebus
:pop: Novak is our lead inbounder when the game in on the line. :pop:

Arc
because pop's an idiot. coach of the year my ass. i could get 60 wins with a team this deep.

siraulo23
03-25-2011, 11:36 PM
splitter was terrific

small ball worked out until like the final minutes

back to back to back TOs, What The FUCK

Borosai
03-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Pop is too proud to admit he's wrong. It's easier to stick to the "he's not ready" line.

jag
03-25-2011, 11:47 PM
:lol He was by far the best big on the floor tonight, but he can't see the floor when the Spurs needed him most..

He was a defensive force, not just in the paint, but when he switched on the PnR he was staying with Batum and Miller.

Everyone sees how well he's playing on both ends of the floor but it makes no difference.

HarlemHeat37
03-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Seeing him defend the p&r and defend outside bigs, while not being a liability at protecting the rim, is just a tease for us..I just want to see a Duncan-Splitter frontcourt for a few games, it shouldn't be too much to ask for, tbh..

Spursmania
03-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Pop is a fucking stubborn asshole.

Capt Bringdown
03-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Pop hasn't shown much competence the last couple of games.
Against Denver, Pop apparently thought that Splitter was disqualified after his 4th foul.
Tonight, even though our lead was slipping away, he goes with small ball way too long.

Strange thing to say after our great regular season, but I'm not sure Pop has what it takes anymore.

BRs.Ganso
03-26-2011, 12:01 AM
For Pop, Splitter is a player for just 2 and 1/2 quarter player!

silverblk mystix
03-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Splitter is still lacking in corporate knowledge.

timtonymanu
03-26-2011, 01:06 AM
He fucking played great on Aldridge. I was waiting the whole 4th for Splitter to come back in. Of course Pop doesn't bring him back in. Goddamnit, does Splitter have to get 40 and 20 to get some decent playing time?

Solid D
03-26-2011, 01:09 AM
because pop's an idiot. coach of the year my ass. i could get 60 wins with a team this deep.

:lol anyway...where were we?

Solid D
03-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Splitter was very good tonight in many ways. I truly believe that Pop could have made it easier for the Spurs to win this one. In the final analysis, it was still blown by the 2 floor leaders, Parker and Ginobili. What a mess.

siraulo23
03-26-2011, 01:54 AM
simple he lacks corporate knowledge and still doesnt have a grasp on plays that pop might want to call during critical junctions of the game

Fireball
03-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Splitter was very good tonight in many ways. I truly believe that Pop could have made it easier for the Spurs to win this one. In the final analysis, it was still blown by the 2 floor leaders, Parker and Ginobili. What a mess.

nice observation ... totally agree

Josepatches_
03-26-2011, 02:30 AM
simple he lacks corporate knowledge and still doesnt have a grasp on plays that pop might want to call during critical junctions of the game

But he was on the floor in the last one .

Maybe it was his fault :rolleyes

TimDunkem
03-26-2011, 02:33 AM
But he was on the floor in the last one .

Maybe it was his fault :rolleyes
Well he could have just let Aldridge camp the 3pt line while he protected the rim from an inbound pass....

itzsoweezee
03-26-2011, 02:40 AM
Small ball was not the problem. Lack of playing time for Splitter in the second half was not the problem. Blair absolutely shut Aldridge down.

The Spurs were up comfortably without Splitter. Stupid mistakes on offense down the stretch killed the Spurs. Manu isolation is a dumb call. Why have such a complex system in place and you don't come up with anything better than that? Parker getting his pocket picked. Horrible. The absolutely putrid final offensive play? Splitter does not change any of that.

angelbelow
03-26-2011, 05:04 AM
Maybe he was out of shape?

mingus
03-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Small ball was not the problem. Lack of playing time for Splitter in the second half was not the problem. Blair absolutely shut Aldridge down.

The Spurs were up comfortably without Splitter. Stupid mistakes on offense down the stretch killed the Spurs. Manu isolation is a dumb call. Why have such a complex system in place and you don't come up with anything better than that? Parker getting his pocket picked. Horrible. The absolutely putrid final offensive play? Splitter does not change any of that.

people were getting in the paint too easily, Splitter had a lot to do with why they weren't getting those points as easily when he was playing.

benefactor
03-26-2011, 08:37 AM
:lol...Blair didn't shut down Aldridge...the Blazers were just too stupid to see the obvious matchup problem and run isolations for Aldridge. And as mingus pointed out, the Spurs were getting raped at the rim with no shot blocker in the game.

The Spurs got lucky with that lineup in the fourth which led Pop to believe it was actually working. They should never, ever do that again.

DPG21920
03-26-2011, 08:40 AM

Exactly. I don't really ever place a loss on a coach. I am just of the opinion that they aren't as important as the players. Sure, coaches can make some decisions that help or hurt a team, but the overall win or loss is on the players.

silverblackfan
03-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I actually thought it was the lack of play knowledge and bad free throw percentage. If so, I still want to see more of Splitter at the end of the game.

GSH
03-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't know why it should surprise anyone. For two games, the guy with the hottest hand on the team was Novak. Next game he's a DNP. That's just vintage Pop, isn't it? I'm not saying he should have been moved into the starting lineup, but damn. At least put him in until he misses a shot or two.

itzsoweezee
03-26-2011, 12:36 PM
:lol...Blair didn't shut down Aldridge...the Blazers were just too stupid to see the obvious matchup problem and run isolations for Aldridge. And as mingus pointed out, the Spurs were getting raped at the rim with no shot blocker in the game.

The Spurs got lucky with that lineup in the fourth which led Pop to believe it was actually working. They should never, ever do that again.

Wow, a completely stupid analysis. The Spurs were getting raped at the rim? That's absurd. The reality is, the Blazers couldn't score against the Spurs in the halfcourt. Lol @ you actually believing you know better than the entire Blazers team and Nate McMillian. You're obviously a basketball genius that the Blazers should pick up right away. So what are you doing on Spurstalk?

The reality is, the Spurs were playing dominating defense for most of the second half. Aldridge couldn't do anything against Blair. Unfortunately, the Blazers were scoring off of the ample Spurs turnovers.

Obviously, you have an agenda, but Splitter on the bench is not even close to the reason the Spurs lost. They just choked it away on the offensive end.

benefactor
03-26-2011, 01:11 PM
lol the "so you know better than the coach" response. Way to channel your inner TPark.

They were getting raped...it's just that the Blazers didn't do it enough. They could have gone to the rim whenever they wanted they just settled for too many jumpers. It had much more to do with lack of taking advantage of matchups than it did with the Spurs defense.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Aldridge couldn't do anything against Blair. They barely went to him. One of the few passes they tried to make to him was bad and Blair would up stealing it. I'm guessing this is what you consider Blair shutting him down. How many shots did Aldridge take against Blair in the 4th? Perhaps you should check the play by play and get back to me on that.

As I said before...the Spurs were lucky and it ran out as the 4th went on.

itzsoweezee
03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
lol the "so you know better than the coach" response. Way to channel your inner TPark.

They were getting raped...it's just that the Blazers didn't do it enough. They could have gone to the rim whenever they wanted they just settled for too many jumpers. It had much more to do with lack of taking advantage of matchups than it did with the Spurs defense.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Aldridge couldn't do anything against Blair. They barely went to him. One of the few passes they tried to make to him was bad and Blair would up stealing it. I'm guessing this is what you consider Blair shutting him down. How many shots did Aldridge take against Blair in the 4th? Perhaps you should check the play by play and get back to me on that.

Lol, watch the game instead of looking at the play-by-play. Blair wasn't letting Aldridge get position and was all around being a pest. San Antonio was hardly lucky. They were up comfortably, playing excellent defense and then wet the bed. Give up the silly agenda.

spurtech09
03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
splitter starting to be himself why wouldn't pop play splitter in the 4th....sometimes pop doesn't know what hes doing..pop needs to go back to the basics ;(

The Truth #6
03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Splitter playing more in general and the idea that Splitter would have been the difference last night are two separate issues. I don't know if Splitter playing in the fourth would have won us the game, but I do think it's telling that Pop has given up on him. More and more it looks like he's only playing him because Tim is injured and once Tim returns Tiago will go back to the bench. Hopefully that's not the case because we need his presence. Why isn't Pop playing him? Who knows, probably just his pride. He's convinced himself that this isn't Tiago's year so he's probably going to stay with that.

Looking back I don't know why the hell we switched our starting lineup a few weeks back. Yeah Dice needed to play more but that could have still happened without starting him. I think benching Blair has thrown the chemistry off, and resulted in the awful Bonner/Blair combination. If Tiago started replacing Bonner's minutes I would be happy.

Calavera
03-26-2011, 03:10 PM
absolutly dissapointing. denver and portland games were awful at the end. other than that we played fine. splitter will be a key player in the future!

007nites
03-26-2011, 03:21 PM
He fucking played great on Aldridge. I was waiting the whole 4th for Splitter to come back in. Of course Pop doesn't bring him back in. Goddamnit, does Splitter have to get 40 and 20 to get some decent playing time?

According to pop he needs to get 24 points, 19 rebounds, 7 assists, 6 blocks, and 4 steals.

BRs.Ganso
03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
According to pop he needs to get 24 points, 19 rebounds, 7 assists, 6 blocks, and 4 steals.

Splitter easily could have made 16 points and 10 rebounds yesterday...

damn Pop! :bang:bang:bang

Ice009
03-26-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't know why it should surprise anyone. For two games, the guy with the hottest hand on the team was Novak. Next game he's a DNP. That's just vintage Pop, isn't it? I'm not saying he should have been moved into the starting lineup, but damn. At least put him in until he misses a shot or two.

This is the problem the last two seasons we've been on Pop for not riding the hot hand and now he is doing that, but with small ball, he just rode small ball way too long.

The previous two seasons Pop would go with strange rotation patterns and always sub someone out when they had the hot hand and we'd go cold and it would cost us games. This season Pop has done a better job of riding the hot hand except for certain situations such as small and Bonner. Pop rides small ball and Bonner way too long. It's good that he is riding the hot hand more, but he's overdoing it on a lame horse. Lame horse = small ball and Bonner. Never ride those two too long.

You can even go back to the second game of the season against NO where he rode that lineup that got us back into the game and never subbed the regulars back in.

analyzed
03-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Although it hurts the positive we can get out of these last 2 defeats is Splitter should be a valuable piece of the playoff rotation at least for the first 3 quarters. I'm not to worried about him playing in the 4th , As Timmy should finish games for us.

Seriously speaking Splitter is our best back-up to Timmy at the 5. In fact our only back-up at 5. Let's be honest Blair, Bonner and Dice are not centers. period !

Getting Spliiter into our playoff rotation is much more important than a win or two in the regular season. Were not going to look back at this loss and say that's why we din't win the ring. It is highly possible however to blame not getting Splitter in the playoff rotation as the reason for failure in the playoffs.

The way I see , If were not good enough to win 6 of our last 10 games and keep Home court advantage ( even with TD missing half of the games) , then were not good enough to compete for a ring , it's that simple.

TD 21
03-26-2011, 09:11 PM
He wasn't in, because it made too much sense. If he had thrown up 30/20 on 15-15 shooting, thrown in 5 blocks and held Aldridge scoreless, he still wasn't going to play in the fourth.

He's clearly the third (possibly second) best big on the team. He's now rebounding at a quality rate as well and Blair is slipping. That was the one thing he had on Splitter. But with that disparity shrinking, there is officially no excuse for Blair to play at Splitter's expense in the playoffs.

Strategic
03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
The reason Splitter wasn't in the game is nothing but the most ironic revolution of the season to date. Popovich would rather have someone in the game that knows more about the playbook than someone that may be a physical advantage. He wants to coach the defense in crunch time and not have to be concerned with someone turning the wrong way or taking a step to far on offense. In other words, he wants the offensive execution to be in place when the game is on the line. There lies the irony, since he and his two amigos made about four offensive faux pas in the last two minutes on offense, and to put the cherry on top the three of them combined to F up the last play on defense. Time to move on folks.

:bang:bang:bang:bang

Ice009
03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
The reason Splitter wasn't in the game is nothing but the most ironic revolution of the season to date. Popovich would rather have someone in the game that knows more about the playbook than someone that may be a physical advantage. He wants to coach the defense in crunch time and not have to be concerned with someone turning the wrong way or taking a step to far on offense. In other words, he wants the offensive execution to be in place when the game is on the line. There lies the irony, since he and his two amigos made about four offensive faux pas in the last two minutes on offense, and to put the cherry on top the three of them combined to F up the last play on defense. Time to move on folks.

:bang:bang:bang:bang

That's understandable and I'm sure most of us understand why Pop is not playing Splitter in the 4th quarter, but if I could, I gotta ask Pop why did he play a rookie Tony Parker, rookie Manu, Nazr after the trade deadline?

When you HAVE IT, YOU HAVE IT and you GOTTA PLAY THAT PLAYER.

Manu and Nazr both really didn't play until the second half of both those seasons. Sure Splitter missed training camp, but so did those guys and they played.

I don't understand why Pop has changed from those Championship years. He had to take some risks, but for some reason he will not do it anymore. It's like he doesn't want his players to play on instinct, instead they all gotta be in the right place at the right time and take a step in that direction or this direction. That's not what basketball is all about. You gotta play with a bit of instinct. It can't all be about the system and about the system only above all else to get court time. Bonner is a perfect example of someone who should know what Pop wants him to do, but yet he keeps fucking up time and time again. He has no instinct.

Capt Bringdown
03-26-2011, 10:05 PM
When you HAVE IT, YOU HAVE IT and you GOTTA PLAY THAT PLAYER.

Bingo :tu

Ice009
03-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Bingo :tu

I think Pop also said something along these lines about Splitter about a month or two ago "It's not fair to the other players"

Well I say, was it fair to David Robinson to start a rookie Tony Parker over Antonio Daniels? Was it fair to David Robinson to play Manu after he missed the first few months of the season? You BET YOUR ASS IT WAS FAIR as D-Rob ended up with a Championship and those moves 1 and 2 seasons apart contributed to that.

Pop has definitely gone soft.

Strategic
03-26-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't understand why Pop has changed from those Championship years. He had to take some risks, but for some reason he will not do it anymore. It's like he doesn't want his players to play on instinct, instead they all gotta be in the right place at the right time and take a step in that direction or this direction. That's not what basketball is all about. You gotta play with a bit of instinct. It can't all be about the system and about the system only above all else to get court time.

I hope to hell Pop doesn't start pulling back the reins on Gary Neal. When Neal is in the game and Manu comes in it's like the ball gets taken out of Neal's hands. When Manu took the last shot against Denver with a hand in his face Neal was less than 10 feet away and open. I know Ginobili has carried this team to great heights, but part of that now could be recognizing the strenghts of a teammate like Gary Neal.

Strategic
03-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Bonner is a perfect example of someone who should know what Pop wants him to do, but yet he keeps fucking up time and time again. He has no instinct.

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

I try not to focus on Bonner. He's like the sun! You know it's there but you can't look because it hurts your eyes. I know the Spurs can't have an entire team of 12 million dollar men, but Matty is about a 2 million dollar player. I really think the Front Office is trying to upgrade the position. Speaking of no instinct, the only way that Novak could fuck up on that inbound pass was to throw it where nobody could touch it.

Capt Bringdown
03-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Speaking of no instinct, the only way that Novak could fuck up on that inbound pass was to throw it where nobody could touch it.

So true - if the play wasn't there he could have simply tossed a bounce pass or soft lob towards the basket. Worse case scenario would be that the Blazers have to make a 3-quarter court length shot. We take our chances in overtime.

Jeez, it was harder to fuck that play up than it was to do the right thing.
Such a massive fail by all involved that pretty much destroyed my faith in this season.

rmt
03-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Can't you guys in SA start a campaign to have "Play Splitter" signs all over the arena in hopes that Pop will play him? Don't want to contemplate the playoffs with Blair/Bonner while Splitter sits on the bench.

Here's hoping he gets lots of PT against Gasol/Randolph tonight.

Ice009
03-27-2011, 12:13 AM
So true - if the play wasn't there he could have simply tossed a bounce pass or soft lob towards the basket. Worse case scenario would be that the Blazers have to make a 3-quarter court length shot. We take our chances in overtime.

Jeez, it was harder to fuck that play up than it was to do the right thing.
Such a massive fail by all involved that pretty much destroyed my faith in this season.

That truly was an epic fuck up from Novak now that I think about it. For all the good he's done that pass was a huge unforced turnover.

Strategic
03-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I think Pop also said something along these lines about Splitter about a month or two ago "It's not fair to the other players"

I remember two years ago Popovich said "these playoffs aren't for George(Hill)". I hope he doesn't have the same use for Splitter this year. I don't think there is any going back on giving him some PT. For Tiago's sake, the Spurs need to win starting with the Memphis game. If they don't I'm afraid Duncan will try to come back sooner than necessary. If that happens Splitter will probably be the odd man out again.

DrSteffo
03-27-2011, 01:07 AM

Completely agree. Of course Splitter should have played in the 4th. I hoped Pop had learned his lesson from the last game but he is so stubborn he simply refuses to learn from his mistakes and do the right thing. Blair had a bad game and for some reason thought his own mistakes were amusing. I hated that.

Ice009
03-27-2011, 01:12 AM
I remember two years ago Popovich said "these playoffs aren't for George(Hill)". I hope he doesn't have the same use for Splitter this year. I don't think there is any going back on giving him some PT. For Tiago's sake, the Spurs need to win starting with the Memphis game. If they don't I'm afraid Duncan will try to come back sooner than necessary. If that happens Splitter will probably be the odd man out again.

It's also up to Splitter now to keep playing good. He cannot give Pop any excuse to bench him. He's gotta bring it and keep playing his ass off for the Spurs.

wunderkindepiphany
03-27-2011, 01:21 AM
'Cause Pop chose not to put him in.

benefactor
03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Lol, watch the game instead of looking at the play-by-play. Blair wasn't letting Aldridge get position and was all around being a pest. San Antonio was hardly lucky. They were up comfortably, playing excellent defense and then wet the bed. Give up the silly agenda.
I watched the game. I've only missed a handful in the past three years.

If they really wanted to iso Aldridge against Blair they could have. They didn't even try to get him the ball. They settled for jumpers for the most part instead. Saying that Blair would have had a snowballs chance in hell of stopping him is just dumb.

And stop saying I have an agenda. It's not about Splitter...it's about matchups. Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that Blair guarding Aldridge down the stretch is something you would like to see in the playoffs if we were to play the Blazers?

Strategic
03-27-2011, 10:49 AM
And stop saying I have an agenda. It's not about Splitter...it's about matchups. Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that Blair guarding Aldridge down the stretch is something you would like to see in the playoffs if we were to play the Blazers?

Why would someone say that wanting Splitter to get steady PT is akin to having an agenda? I think Weez is the one with the agenda. I think Memphis is too tall inside not for the Spurs to have one of the true inside post men in the game at crunch time.

Josepatches_
03-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Same story today while Randolph scores in the 4th

Capt Bringdown
03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Same story today while Randolph scores in the 4th

Randolph scored 8 straight points at one point. Not sure what his total for the 4th was, but he was simply unmatched out there.

John Basedow
03-27-2011, 07:44 PM
don't forget Bonner on Gasol for the basket that iced the game

Chomag
03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Defence be the old shit, this fun ball is the new shit.

Proxy
03-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Defence be the old shit, this fun ball is the new shit.

MaNu4Tres
03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
He can't ever play the 4th quarter guys. Like Pop said, " It's not fair".

The coaches obviously don't want to hurt Bonner and Blair's feelings.

Buddy Holly
03-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Deja fucking Vu.

SA210
03-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Stubborn asshole coaches

Ice009
03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
SPLITTER WILL NOT PLAY IN THE 4TH QUARTER.

lol. It's not fair to the team to keep winning.