PDA

View Full Version : I think it's time to accept that the "Basketball Gods" love the Los Angeles Lakers.

midnightpulp
03-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Laker fans have known this for a long time (hell, Jerry Buss even said, "God is a Lakers fan"), and it's something us fans of rival teams always intuited but never really accepted. Timvp was the first one on Spurstalk to throw his hands up in the air, proclaiming, "God loves Kobe Bryant," and by extension, the Lakers.

Consider this thread my Timvp moment. Ever since the Lakers hijacked the draft rights to Magic Johnson, (itself the result of a lucky chain of events) things just continue to fall into place for this team year after year after year. It doesn't matter what moves other teams make, who their rosters are, how good they're playing, etc. Lebron James and Dwight Howard could suddenly defect to the Celtics, Spurs, or Mavs, and you can guarantee that they'll get injured before the Finals.

Here the Mavs were arguably the best team in the league, playing very good defense and rolling. And with the addition of Chandler, many believed they were the Lakers biggest threat out West. So what happens? Caron Butler, their best perimeter defender goes down with a season ending injury.

Then there's the Celtics. The only team to defeat the Gasol-era Lakers in the past 3 years. Many believed with the addition of Shaq and Jermaine O'Neal, they were the Lakers primary threat to dethrone the reigning back-to-back champs. So what happens? Both injured. Then, in a move that leaves many Celtics fans scratching their heads, Ainge decides to trade away the team's best interior defender. You can attribute this to Ainge's stupidity or impetuousness or the FO's unwilling to pay, but it's simply the basketball gods looking out for their number one team again.

Moving on to the Spurs. I'm not a blind a homer, so I believed the Spurs had about a 20% to 30% chance to knock off the Lakers if they meet in the playoffs, provided the Spurs have HCA and everyone's healthy. Now with Duncan's injury, I don't see him being 100% for that series, which all but wipes out any chance the Spurs had, not to mention there's now a likely possibility that the Lakers could steal the number one overall seed.

Meanwhile in fuckstick land, the Lakers are 100% healthy.

Now Lakers homers will definitely cite Bynum and Ariza's '08 injuries as an example of some of their own bad luck. Horseshit. If Bynum doesn't get injured in '08, I don't see Mitch trading for Gasol. They were first in the West (after playing the softest schedule in the league up to that point, with all of their losses coming to contending teams, so I don't wanna hear any Lakers homers saying, "We were good before the Gasol trade. He didn't take us over the top!!!11"), so I don't see the Lakers FO mashing the panic button at that point and making any significant moves.

Consider this my retirement post from Laker and Laker fan hating. It's futile to hate and wish defeat for something that has divine intervention on its side. It can't be beaten, no matter how much you protest. It's more prudent to accept certainty (Death, Taxes, and Laker Luck) than it is to expend the energy fighting it.

And I don't even believe in the divine.

usdane
03-26-2011, 12:04 AM
U mad?

Venti Quattro
03-26-2011, 12:05 AM
It's just one game. Spurs still have a 5-game lead

rayjayjohnson
03-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Could say the same thing about spurs drafting Duncan.

This shit is like astrology. You can make up any explanation to suit what you observe

DJ Mbenga
03-26-2011, 12:06 AM
this now completes the spurstalk total meltown

Pelicans78
03-26-2011, 12:07 AM
What's there to be upset about? Your team won 4 championships in 9 years. Seriously, get over it.

Venti Quattro
03-26-2011, 12:09 AM
this now completes the spurstalk total meltown
It's new material to use for stupid threads. No more Darrin specials :tu

TE
03-26-2011, 12:10 AM
What's there to be upset about? Your team won 4 championships in 9 years. Seriously, get over it.

You won't understand.

Pelicans78
03-26-2011, 12:11 AM
You won't understand.

And San Antonio won't understand what a Super Bowl or World Series championship is like. Get over it.

The Gemini Method
03-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Sometimes I have to thank Jehova that the Lakers are the chosen team...That God has a sick sense of humor tbh.

midnightpulp
03-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Sometimes I have to thank Jehova that the Lakers are the chosen team...That God has a sick sense of humor tbh.

It really is something to celebrate.

cobbler
03-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Lakers have been hurt by the injury bug every bit as much as they have been helped over the years.

Nothing new here. Laker fan has been telling you how this would all fold out since the pre-season. :toast

midnightpulp
03-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Lakers have been hurt by the injury bug every bit as much as they have been helped over the years.

Nothing new here. Laker fan has been telling you how this would all fold out since the pre-season. :toast

Bullshit.

hobbler
03-26-2011, 12:17 AM
My spine was bit by the injury bug tbh

mavsfan1000
03-26-2011, 12:22 AM
In that case, this video makes sense. WjvZ2r4gzxs

Venti Quattro
03-26-2011, 12:25 AM

Too tired of carrying your 16 rings around?

4>0rings
Don't fret Mid. This is just the Devil tempting you like he did Jesus. Don't faulter in your faith and you will be rewarded in heaven.

midnightpulp
Too tired of carrying your 16 rings around?

:lol

LkrFan
03-26-2011, 12:27 AM
mid I disagree with your thoughts on the Gasol trade. MK has gone on record that he had been after Gasol for a couple of years. It was just the right time for him to be had:

Memphis was losing lots of games and lots of money. Gasol was by far their highest paid player (remember they were 0-12 with him as the #1 option)
Kwame Brown had one of the biggest expiring KTs. Memphis was hurting financially. Kwame's KT helped them get Z Bo (an argument could be made he should have been an all star over Timmy D - but that's for another thread).
Memphis also got Pau's little brother. Before you :rolleyes, he can start for the Spurs right now and is very serviceable

Bottom line, Bynum injury or not, Gasol was destined to be a Laker. I just wish that Bynum and Ariza were NOT injured during the Finals that year. Lakers would be going on title #4 in a row this year.

Spot on about Boston. No Perkins, no chance against the Lakers. :toast

Zelophehad
03-26-2011, 12:30 AM
^this faggot with a shitty take, per the usual. Like a retard version of 21 Blessings

Zelophehad
03-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Who isn't that smart to begin with

LkrFan
03-26-2011, 12:32 AM
^this faggot with a shitty take, per the usual. Like a retard version of 21 Blessings
iRb9PONMeLY

cobbler
03-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Magic and Scott go down in 89
Malone in 04
Bynum & Ariza in 08

not to mention all the early years with Baylors many issues

Luck is definetly a factor in winning championships. The Lakers have had it go both ways many times.

...and here we are weeks before the playoffs and all you got left is wheelchair smack. God, it's great being a Laker fan!

:toast

Booharv
03-26-2011, 12:35 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

mavsfan1000
03-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Malone in 04
Bynum & Ariza in 08

Luck is definetly a factor in winning championships. The Lakers have had it go both ways many times.

...and here we are weeks before the playoffs and all you got left is wheelchair smack. God, it's great being a Laker fan!

I'm just glad Malone didn't get a ring.

cobbler
03-26-2011, 12:38 AM

Other than it cost the Lakers, I am too. I had a hard time dealing with him being on the team. Served us right. Payton and Malone? Arrrghhh.

4>0rings
03-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Me too. If he did, there would be a lot more people siding with Malone being the best PF of all time over Timmy.

midnightpulp
03-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Malone in 04
Bynum & Ariza in 08

Magic and Scott go down in 89: Toss up.
Malone in 04: Wouldn't have mattered. Pistons were clearly the better team.
Bynum & Ariza in 08: Toss up.

I'm not Hobbler for the record. Not me using the wheelchair smack.

LkrFan
03-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Me too. If he did, there would be a lot more people siding with Malone being the best PF of all time over Timmy.

Not educated fans. Timmy D > Malone. He even went through Malone to get a few of his rings. Malone was a better scorer, but Timmy D beasted him on everything else. I hear what you are saying though.

LkrFan
03-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Magic and Scott go down in 89: Toss up. The Lakers just beat them WITH Magic and Scott the year before. Are you sure about this statement?

Malone in 04: Wouldn't have mattered. Pistons were clearly the better team. Bullshit. Malone played really good defense that year and was a threat offensively. He went down and the Lakers had Slava Medvedenko against Sheed and Big Ben. :depressed

Bynum & Ariza in 08: Toss up. Toss up my ass. No Ariza meant PP was being guarded by Vlad Rad and Luke. Results: Finals MVP. No Bynum meant Pau (who just got his Finals cherry popped) had to guard Porkins, KG, or PJ Brown. All 3 were tougher than Pau. Fast forward to 2010. Bynum (even on a gimpy leg) was enough to get the Lakers over the hump. If he were healthy in 2008, it would have been a different story. Remember the Laker blew a 24 point lead in game 2.

I'm not Hobbler for the record. Not me using the wheelchair smack.For once you are being classy. Good job. :toast

Donkeybong
03-26-2011, 12:59 AM
The 2004 Finals were hell to go through. Divine intervention my ass. We just have an organization that knows what they are doing and blessed to be in one of the most desirable destinations in the world.

cobbler
03-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Magic and Scott go down in 89: Toss up.
Malone in 04: Wouldn't have mattered. Pistons were clearly the better team.
Bynum & Ariza in 08: Toss up.

I'm not Hobbler for the record. Not me using the wheelchair smack.

Sure your not.

And regardless whether you call it a toss up or not, the Lakers were favored to win in all 3 and were right there in the thick of it when the injuries hit. They happen and they lost. It doesn't diminish the Celtics or Pistons championships. It's part of the game. It's that 17th that the boys are reclaiming shortly. :toast

TE
03-26-2011, 01:02 AM
And San Antonio won't understand what a Super Bowl or World Series championship is like. Get over it.

Cool and all. But an NBA championship is different from a Super Bowl and World Series. Hornets = Never have won a championship, this is a basketball discussion. Get out.

LnGrrrR
03-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Fuck this thread, tbh. There's no "divine intervention". It's a mix of luck, good drafting, and good coaching.

Lakers are beatable, just like any other team. No excuses.

Pelicans78
03-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Cool and all. But an NBA championship is different from a Super Bowl and World Series. Hornets = Never have won a championship, this is a basketball discussion. Get out.

A championship is a championship to me.

LkrFan
03-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Fuck this thread, tbh. There's no "divine intervention". It's a mix of luck, good drafting, and good coaching.

The Lakers are unbeatable and I should have been a Laker fan. They are not just like any other team. They make no excuses for kicking the Celtics' ass.

I agree. :toast

LnGrrrR
03-26-2011, 02:40 AM
I agree. :toast

Subtle, you fag. :lol :toast

Cane
03-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Laker fans have known this for a long time (hell, Jerry Buss even said, "God is a Lakers fan"), and it's something us fans of rival teams always intuited but never really accepted. Timvp was the first one on Spurstalk to throw his hands up in the air, proclaiming, "God loves Kobe Bryant," and by extension, the Lakers.

Consider this thread my Timvp moment. Ever since the Lakers hijacked the draft rights to Magic Johnson, (itself the result of a lucky chain of events) things just continue to fall into place for this team year after year after year. It doesn't matter what moves other teams make, who their rosters are, how good they're playing, etc. Lebron James and Dwight Howard could suddenly defect to the Celtics, Spurs, or Mavs, and you can guarantee that they'll get injured before the Finals.

Here the Mavs were arguably the best team in the league, playing very good defense and rolling. And with the addition of Chandler, many believed they were the Lakers biggest threat out West. So what happens? Caron Butler, their best perimeter defender goes down with a season ending injury.

Then there's the Celtics. The only team to defeat the Gasol-era Lakers in the past 3 years. Many believed with the addition of Shaq and Jermaine O'Neal, they were the Lakers primary threat to dethrone the reigning back-to-back champs. So what happens? Both injured. Then, in a move that leaves many Celtics fans scratching their heads, Ainge decides to trade away the team's best interior defender. You can attribute this to Ainge's stupidity or impetuousness or the FO's unwilling to pay, but it's simply the basketball gods looking out for their number one team again.

Moving on to the Spurs. I'm not a blind a homer, so I believed the Spurs had about a 20% to 30% chance to knock off the Lakers if they meet in the playoffs, provided the Spurs have HCA and everyone's healthy. Now with Duncan's injury, I don't see him being 100% for that series, which all but wipes out any chance the Spurs had, not to mention there's now a likely possibility that the Lakers could steal the number one overall seed.

Now Lakers homers will definitely cite Bynum and Ariza's '08 injuries as an example of some of their own bad luck. Horseshit. If Bynum doesn't get injured in '08, I don't see Mitch trading for Gasol. They were first in the West (after playing the softest schedule in the league up to that point, with all of their losses coming to contending teams, so I don't wanna hear any Lakers homers saying, "We were good before the Gasol trade. He didn't take us over the top!!!11"), so I don't see the Lakers FO mashing the panic button at that point and making any significant moves.

Consider this my retirement post from Laker and Laker fan hating. It's futile to hate and wish defeat for something that has divine intervention on its side. It can't be beaten, no matter how much you protest. It's more prudent to accept certainty (Death, Taxes, and Laker Luck) than it is to expend the energy fighting it.

Lakers are not currently 100% healthy :cry . Bynum's still taking meds for his knee and just a week or so ago Bryant was reeling in pain over his ankle and is probably dealing with all sorts of nagging injuries.

But the Lakers can be seen as the NBA's favored son starting all the way from Jerry West winning the Finals MVP even though he was on the losing team to this current NBA squad that has faced the fewest amount of back to back games in the league. But they did run into a pretty rough stretch in the 90's (especially Magic) :cry :cry :cry

LkrFan
03-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Subtle, you fag. :lol :toast
:lol:lol:lol

Baron Davιs
03-26-2011, 03:14 AM
OP obviously bitter and uses this bullshit to justify the inevitable of Lakers winning another ship.

PATHETIC

TheManFromAcme
03-26-2011, 07:02 AM

wtf?

How can you believe in divine intervention when you don't even believe in the divine?

rayjayjohnson
03-26-2011, 07:39 AM
God must love to forgive rapists then

Koolaid_Man
03-26-2011, 08:41 AM

what you really want to say is:

1Qa8JKrbSdc

Giuseppe
03-26-2011, 09:57 AM
God must love to forgive rapists then

& the men who seek them out & hire 'em, i.e., Pop.

tee, hee.

redzero
03-26-2011, 10:33 AM
what you really want to say is:

1Qa8JKrbSdc&########=1

:rollinusing ######## because I started using it.

LnGrrrR
03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
That Beck clip is really weird. On multiple levels.

TE
03-26-2011, 02:11 PM
The hell is this?

Lakers999
03-26-2011, 03:09 PM
the OP is a moron... there is no divine intervention or as Buss jokingly states "god is a laker fan" if that was the case the lakers would be winning the finals year after year after year.

what the OP did was just show his jealousy plain and simple. jealous that his team cannot make the moves a well organized NBA team like the lakers can. There is no divine intervention this was just good business practices weather they were "cahootzed" or not. He is just mad becuase his team failed to make the right moves to repeat as champions.

Also... this is just the natural flow of basketball evolution..... different teams will go through different dynasties.... the spurs had theirs and shared it with the lakers... Chicago had theirs in the 90's and shared it with Houston and Detroit. and Now it seems like OKC and Miami will have theirs in the coming years.....

so please OP stop bitching because your aging team is coming up short against defending champs...

Ashy Larry
03-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Spurs will have the number one seed and Pop knows what he's doing..... no way in hell the Spurs are going to lose six of the last ten and the Lakers win ten or eleven in a row ..... the real battle is between Dallas and Los Angeles for that two spot.

With that said, time to beat up on the Whorenets

Roddy Beaubois
03-26-2011, 07:04 PM
So what happens? Caron Butler, their best perimeter defender goes down with a season ending injury.

Thats a weird way to say Shawn Marion harharhar.

But for real that injury really hurt.

Venti Quattro
03-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Spurs will have the number one seed and Pop knows what he's doing..... no way in hell the Spurs are going to lose six of the last ten and the Lakers win ten or eleven in a row ..... the real battle is between Dallas and Los Angeles for that two spot.

With that said, time to beat up on the Whorenets

True, but winning games they should win is totally in LA's control.

TD 21
03-26-2011, 08:50 PM
What are you talking about? The immortal Ratliff and Ebanks are out and before that, the incomparable Barnes was. They've been decimated by injuries. Before Lakers fans say "Bynum was out", the reality is he was rehabbing an injury that happened last season, so that doesn't count as an injury for this season.

In all seriousness, I said the exact same thing when Duncan went down. When is it ever those fuckers turn? It doesn't even have to be a season ending injury to one of their two best players (not that they're not long over due for that too, though). How about some few week injury right about now to one of their top two-three players that throws him and their team out of rhythm. It's always smooth sailing.

And don't give me this "what about Bynum in '08" shit. His injury came at an opportune time (pre deadline) and paved the way for the Gasol "trade". Not only was Gasol an upgrade, but going forward it set them up to be the favorites for the foreseeable future. Whether the trade would have happened anyway or not is irrelevant.

cobbler
03-27-2011, 12:11 AM
What are you talking about? The immortal Ratliff and Ebanks are out and before that, the incomparable Barnes was. They've been decimated by injuries. Before Lakers fans say "Bynum was out", the reality is he was rehabbing an injury that happened last season, so that doesn't count as an injury for this season.

In all seriousness, I said the exact same thing when Duncan went down. When is it ever those fuckers turn? It doesn't even have to be a season ending injury to one of their two best players (not that they're not long over due for that too, though). How about some few week injury right about now to one of their top two-three players that throws him and their team out of rhythm. It's always smooth sailing.

And don't give me this "what about Bynum in '08" shit. His injury came at an opportune time (pre deadline) and paved the way for the Gasol "trade". Not only was Gasol an upgrade, but going forward it set them up to be the favorites for the foreseeable future. Whether the trade would have happened anyway or not is irrelevant.

How sad.

Giuseppe
03-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Kobe: 5

Duncan: 4

has really affected Spurs Fan.

It's incredible.

Roddy Beaubois
03-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Why so late/early, eppe?

Giuseppe
03-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Couldn't sleep.

My cable has been fucked up for 2 days and I don't know how to act.

Muser
03-27-2011, 06:24 AM
You should phone into the mono show cubby, Kori might phone in again.

Giuseppe
03-27-2011, 08:34 AM
I just snoop at Kool's & her PM's.

There not real juicy, but, she says "thank you" a lot in them.

Wow.

Baron Davιs
05-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Jinx Thread: Success

Faggot.

DJ Mbenga
05-07-2011, 01:49 AM
midnight you wanna talk some dodgers? i like kershaw