PDA

View Full Version : People need to quit ripping Bonner.

roycrikside
03-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Yeah, he started slowly in the first 1/3 of the game and allowed Wallace to hit a couple of corner threes and got sucked inside the paint a couple times, but I thought he played really well the second half.

He stuck his nose in there for boards, he hustled, he scrapped, he forced guys into tough shots, he rotated and he even had a late block that the refs fucked him with because they didn't call a travel. Bonner almost saved the game.

People who rip on Bonner don't understand the game. Is he the most talented player? No, but he's an efficient shooter and he opens up the floor for Manu and Tony.

Bonner finished +10 again to lead the team, and it's not a coincidence when it happens every time, gang.

What needs to happen is that Tiago needs to start along side Tim so we open the game with our best defensive front line and that the second unit needs to be Dice-Bonner-Manu-Neal-Hill who have really incredible numbers all year together as a quintet.

Blair needs to be odd man out and used only as a spot player and an energy guy if we're flat. His primary (only) skill is offensive rebounding, which is the least important thing in the playoffs because every team just wants to haul ass and get back on D to take away transition points.

4>0rings
03-26-2011, 12:21 AM
You don't know basketball. Offense is only 50% of the game you doucher. He rotated about 15 hours late on Wallace a billion times.

SouthTexasRancher
03-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah, he started slowly in the first 1/3 of the game and allowed Wallace to hit a couple of corner threes and got sucked inside the paint a couple times, but I thought he played really well the second half.

He stuck his nose in there for boards, he hustled, he scrapped, he forced guys into tough shots, he rotated and he even had a late block that the refs fucked him with because they didn't call a travel. Bonner almost saved the game.

People who rip on Bonner don't understand the game. Is he the most talented player? No, but he's an efficient shooter and he opens up the floor for Manu and Tony.

Bonner finished +10 again to lead the team, and it's not a coincidence when it happens every time, gang.

What needs to happen is that Tiago needs to start along side Tim so we open the game with our best defensive front line and that the second unit needs to be Dice-Bonner-Manu-Neal-Hill who have really incredible numbers all year together as a quintet.

Blair needs to be odd man out and used only as a spot player and an energy guy if we're flat. His primary (only) skill is offensive rebounding, which is the least important thing in the playoffs because every team just wants to haul ass and get back on D to take away transition points.

Thanks Matt for giving us your take on your play tonight. Now go jump in the Pacific ocean and clean the toxic waste off of your ass. :toast

Sean Cagney
03-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Bonner is trash, period..

jeebus
03-26-2011, 12:35 AM
You don't know basketball. Offense is only 50% of the game you doucher. He rotated about 15 hours late on Wallace a billion times.
:lol

DesignatedT
03-26-2011, 12:37 AM
This wont end well.

Borosai
03-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Some people have nothing better to do than to complain about Bonner. Over and over and over. And they think it's clever. Trendy even. Not so much.

Just let them be.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
03-26-2011, 03:04 AM
^^^ we hate when hes the direct result of us becoming a non defensive team yeah that doesnt make us spurs fans happy. were pissed because this team could be way stronger and athletic but as soon as we get a prospect they cant miss a shot or else they're done,

however bonner can do no wrong these are facts and its old talking about it but its old watching him destroy everyones hardwork on defense. were sick of this scrub dying for minutes only to be a complete vagina when he steps on the court playing meaningful minutes!!!

Sean Cagney
03-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Bonner is fucking shyt like I said, what has he done lately? Oh yeah it's late in the year and he is Bonner, yet some call us haters! Nobody hates on Bonner, a hater is a dude who hates on winners, he is what he is and we don't like him as a player, rightfully so.

Splitter plays a good first half, then we go play him most of the second half while doing nothing again, I am sick of that there not him but the mins POP gives him when doing nothing.

SenorSpur
03-26-2011, 08:56 AM
2+ years of empirical evidence and playoff choking, with more on the way, and some on this board STILL have the audacity to try and defend the big red-head. Unbelievable.

It is you who doesn't understand. Bonner is a one-dimensional, one-trick pony. Take away his trick and he's useless. He's a mental midget who can't perform under pressure, plays no defense, doesn't rebound or box out well at all.

Your attempts to defend him are laughable. Like Finley before him, having him on the court is like playing 4-on-5. The fact that he's a major rotation player on a championship-contending team is unexplainable and pathetic.

Gagnrath
03-26-2011, 01:54 PM
People calm down, Matt Bonner is a limited player, he isn't explosive on offense, but he is efficient and rarely makes mistakes or takes ill advised shots. For his size and position he is a slightly below average rebounder but he does usually have position and blocks-out allowing teammates to get rebounds. His team defense is actually slightly above average, but due to being somewhat slow he can be late on rotations when he doesn't anticipate well. He is a below average man defender who struggles with fast athletic players more than some others.

He is a major rotation player for a number of valid reasons, the strongest of which have to due with being on a team with 50 wins for the last decade. When your average draft spot is around 25 you don't have many can't miss rotation players left, let alone athletic complete big men. Other teams are usually willing to give those same athletic big men contracts beyond what the spurs with their tax aversion are willing to pay. This leaves the spurs with a choice of developing athletes that as players are borderline, or taking limited guys. The spurs have tried developing with Ian Mahinimi, (and are now doing so with Splitter and Richards) and are having to live with limited players in Blair and Bonner. Mat isn't a bad player and would look great playing next to a fast interior defensive presence like Howard, Bynum, or even Gortat. The slower old versions of Duncan and McDyess, can't compensate and having your whole front court being rather slow is bad.

Blair has the same problem, he's not overly fast, he has only a couple of offensive options, and people can shoot over him. Add in that he's bulky and menacing so he tends to get a bit neglected when it comes to whistles.

baseline bum
03-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Bonner makes me long for the days of Finley guarding the 4.

DesignatedT
03-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Blair seems to be the odd-man out here for me. I definitely think Tiago should get more time but not necessarily at the expense of Bonner (depending on matchups).

SenorSpur
03-26-2011, 02:24 PM
In his 14th seaason, Tim doesn't need supporting players on the frontline, who are limited in athleticism, below-average rebounders or defenders. As a matter of fact, he needs the just the opposite. He simply cannot continue toting the mail, on both ends of the court, with limited support from his frontlilne mates. Dice, who's effective in small stints, but gone after this year; Blair, who has a lion's heart, rebounds well, but has no size; and the red-headed spaz. It's just not enough. That leaves Splitter to help pick up the slack. Of course, he's still a work in progress and hasn't garnered enough consistent time to be a regular contributor.

As for Bonner, as far as I'm concerned, he's cemented his reputation as a mental midget and playoff choker. Just wait a couple months you'll have your latest sample of evidence as to how mentally weak he is and how exposed the Spurs are with him in the lineup against a playoff opponent. The Fakers know how to attack him on defense,and have demonstrated that they know how to negate his one offensive strength.

Bonner is the antithesis of the type of player the Spurs need - but for whatever reason - Pop loves immensely. He is what he is. A regular season 3-pt chucker, with a limited skill set and no playoff resume - and the Spurs are stuck with him.

SenorSpur
03-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Blair seems to be the odd-man out here for me. I definitely think Tiago should get more time but not necessarily at the expense of Bonner (depending on matchups).

If only Pop felt the same way.:bang

Duncan2177
03-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Pop has a man crush with Bonner.

DesignatedT
03-26-2011, 02:32 PM
In Pops defense, Splitter missing training camp/pre-season and constantly having nagging injuries throughout the season could have made it difficult for Pop to try and integrate him smoothly. Saying that, there was still plenty of games where Tiago could have/should have gotten some time.. especially against some of the sub .500 teams early in the year. Tiago has definitely not helped his situation though, so it shouldn't all be put on pop IMO.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2011, 04:10 PM
lol spurfans

Libri
03-26-2011, 04:32 PM
The day you see people stop ripping Bonner is the day you see this :flypig. lol

rmt
03-26-2011, 04:39 PM
People calm down, Matt Bonner is a limited player, he isn't explosive on offense, but he is efficient and rarely makes mistakes or takes ill advised shots. For his size and position he is a slightly below average rebounder but he does usually have position and blocks-out allowing teammates to get rebounds. His team defense is actually slightly above average, but due to being somewhat slow he can be late on rotations when he doesn't anticipate well. He is a below average man defender who struggles with fast athletic players more than some others.

He is a major rotation player for a number of valid reasons, the strongest of which have to due with being on a team with 50 wins for the last decade. When your average draft spot is around 25 you don't have many can't miss rotation players left, let alone athletic complete big men. Other teams are usually willing to give those same athletic big men contracts beyond what the spurs with their tax aversion are willing to pay. This leaves the spurs with a choice of developing athletes that as players are borderline, or taking limited guys. The spurs have tried developing with Ian Mahinimi, (and are now doing so with Splitter and Richards) and are having to live with limited players in Blair and Bonner. Mat isn't a bad player and would look great playing next to a fast interior defensive presence like Howard, Bynum, or even Gortat. The slower old versions of Duncan and McDyess, can't compensate and having your whole front court being rather slow is bad.

Blair has the same problem, he's not overly fast, he has only a couple of offensive options, and people can shoot over him. Add in that he's bulky and menacing so he tends to get a bit neglected when it comes to whistles.

If Blair and Bonner are so limited, please tell me what is so limiting about Splitter than playing time would not cure. The entire blame lies on Pop for not integrating Splitter. It's not like he's a true rookie - he's played pro ball for how many years. Splitter has none of the limitations that Bonner and Blair have and only lacks PT.

He's 7ft tall, mobile, has post moves and better man defense than either. It's like Pop treasures help defense so much that he's forgotten about man defense. Hey, if you have good man defense, you don't need as much help defense.

Pop's decisions in recent games are questionable. .9 seconds left on the clock. Why have Manu, Hill and TP defending? Why not have RJ (taller, more athletic) defend Batum? It's not like there's going to be an offensive possession after? His decision to have Novak inbound the ball was bone-headed. So was playing Blair with 4 small players while Dice and Splitter sat on the bench. Did you notice that Nate had Camby (the tallest player) on Novak to impede his vision and pass?

Creation88
03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
lol you stated the +/- stat. automatic failure.

Lakers999
03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
people need to stop ripping bonner and start popping boners

Lakers999
03-26-2011, 05:34 PM
what can i say hes your guys luke walton

Lakers999
03-26-2011, 05:34 PM
that happens to be white

baseline bum
03-26-2011, 06:43 PM
No, Jefferson is our Luke Walton. Bonner is our Smush Parker, but worse.

itzsoweezee
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
No, Jefferson is our Luke Walton. Bonner is our Smush Parker, but worse.

And Jackson is smart enough to not play either of them.

Frenzy
03-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Rest of the season and playoffs bonner starts.

http://i56.tinypic.com/25socbt.gif

Ha no no jk.

SourCandy
03-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Rest of the season and playoffs bonner starts.

http://i56.tinypic.com/25socbt.gif

Ha no no jk.

:lmao baby made news.

Spursmania
03-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Why?

Sean Cagney
03-27-2011, 10:26 PM
FUCK BONNER, and I mean that please believe that.....

Ice009
03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
FUCK BONNER, and I mean that please believe that.....

Fuck the coaching staff and their FRAGILE EXPRESS NEWS WRITERS like Tim Griffin.

Cessation
03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
lol 3-8, and 1-4 from three, 4 fouls
lol bonner

Sean Cagney
03-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Fuck the coaching staff and their FRAGILE EXPRESS NEWS WRITERS like Tim Griffin.

underdawg
03-27-2011, 11:03 PM
lol 3-8, and 1-4 from three, 4 fouls
lol bonner

Actually, I'm all for Bonner getting fouls - hopefully that's a bucket he's not giving up.

He might be useful in knocking people over - I remember a clip of him and garnett getting into it (people used to play it when the Spurs first got Bonner.) I haven't seen that toughness out of him since he's been with the Spurs - it would be nice to see something like that out of him.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Actually, I'm all for Bonner getting fouls - hopefully that's a bucket he's not giving up.

He might be useful in knocking people over - I remember a clip of him and garnett getting into it (people used to play it when the Spurs first got Bonner.) I haven't seen that toughness out of him since he's been with the Spurs - it would be nice to see something like that out of him.

I am all for BONNER not being out there at all, but hey thats just a dream now. I would love to see him slap KG then go to the bench and sit there forever, that is what I want.

Cessation
03-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Keep dreaming, son. Bonner fouls are running backwards with arms raised and giving up the and1.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Keep dreaming, son. Bonner fouls are running backwards with arms raised and giving up the and1.

LOl instant classic there.

underdawg
03-27-2011, 11:14 PM

that's not true - there are times where he gets a decent hack on a player after they've blown by him.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2011, 11:24 PM
that's not true - there are times where he gets a decent hack on a player after they've blown by him.

Then they get up and laugh and see who it is! Then they say oh well and blow by him again and again till the game is out of reach! :depressed:depressed

Cessation
03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Have you noticed how teams will call isolations for even their worst scrubs when bonner is guarding them.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Have you noticed how teams will call isolations for even their worst scrubs when bonner is guarding them.

Elson in his tenure here would light up Bonner! That Elson was better at times :lol:lol, I am sure in practice he would put up 40. I am sure a D leaguer or a high school stud would eat him up, I would bet on it! Bonner is that great.

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2011, 12:51 AM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/16968101/Marilyn+Manson+172.jpg

Sean Cagney
03-28-2011, 01:01 AM
People will quit ripping him when Pop sees his main role and then and only then will they! If he is not hitting sit him, period! He is a black hole out there sides that.

Cessation
03-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Damn, that kitty knows whats coming.

rmt
03-28-2011, 03:50 AM
I just don't understand why Bonner even plays against a front line like Gasol/Randolph much less getting the most big man minutes. I can understand him playing against Dirk or Odom. Gasol/Randolph just back him down, shoot over him and if they miss grab the off reb.

All this while Splitter sits the whole 4th quarter on the bench. The coaching staff is to blame for not integrating Splitter. It's reprehensible to go into the playoffs with a 35 year old Duncan, a 36 year old Dice, a 6-7 Blair, a choking Bonner and a young, mobile 7fter who hasn't gotten PT all season.

rmt
03-28-2011, 03:50 AM
I just don't understand why Bonner even plays against a front line like Gasol/Randolph much less getting the most big man minutes. I can understand him playing against Dirk or Odom. Gasol/Randolph just back him down, shoot over him and if they miss grab the off reb.

All this while Splitter sits the whole 4th quarter on the bench. The coaching staff is to blame for not integrating Splitter. It's reprehensible to go into the playoffs with a 35 year old Duncan, a 36 year old Dice, a 6-7 Blair, a choking Bonner and a young, mobile 7fter who hasn't gotten PT all season.

angelbelow
03-28-2011, 03:55 AM
The worse part of this is Bonner will probably lose his confidence over this whole fiasco. It sucks that our coaching staff is putting him in this position after hes played well over the course of the season.

chazley
03-28-2011, 04:01 AM
Cessation and Sean Cagney... can the two of you come out as lovers already? You're all over each other's nuts in every thread. The PDA between you two is highly disturbing.

analyzed
03-28-2011, 04:31 AM
did i read the stats correctly , bonner played the most minutes among our bigs ! That I really don't understand, can any of the Bonner fans help me here, give me one good reason why he got the most PT ???? . I understand bonner getting situational minutes to spread the floor etc, but to get the bulk of the big man minutes, are you kidding me. I am a 100 % sure no team aside from the Spurs would give him the most big man minutes even for single game, much more a game the was relative close and stakes were high. This is still professional basketball right? where talent is what gets you PT and not grade school basketball where good behavior can buy you minutes. This is just insane

SenorSpur
03-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Bonner reminds me of the less-talented kid, on the youth team, that keeps getting minutes, despite his obvious inferior skill and deficiencies. Everyone is puzzled - only to find out later, that he's the coach's son.

Pop and his coaching staff's insistence on force-feeding him minutes, especially in 4th quarter situations, regardless of opponent, is a real weakness in their strategy. It's a constant achilles' heel that every team exploits.

Cessation
03-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Cessation and Sean Cagney... can the two of you come out as lovers already? You're all over each other's nuts in every thread. The PDA between you two is highly disturbing.

What are you babbling about, son? You still mad over Ginger shooting 27% from 3, in his last 11 games? Don't worry he'll get hot in the playoffs, really he will. :lol

JonNOKC
03-28-2011, 07:52 AM
We do need to stop ripping Bonner and start ripping the coaching staff - to not even use a defense/offense substitution when they had 2 clear chances to insert Splitter for a defensive possession and then put Bonner right back in but chose to stick with Bonner.

I guess Tiago must really suck - I do not based this on what I see from him on the court (as he produces pretty well when given minutes) but obviously this guy must blow in practice - the only reasonable answer to not even giving Tiago a chance at playing more than a minute in the 4th qtr would be Pop and the coaching staff have watched this guy in TC, and at practices, and have concluded he cannot play ahead of Blair/Bonner under any circumstances -I guess we have another Ian on our hands except Splitter had no upside

Capt Bringdown
03-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Pop and his coaching staff's insistence on force-feeding him minutes, especially in 4th quarter situations, regardless of opponent, is a real weakness in their strategy. It's a constant achilles' heel that every team exploits.

Our record has obscured the reality that this is a big problem. Pop has failed.

SenorSpur
03-28-2011, 10:08 AM
On most nights, Pop and his coaching staff are usually the smartest guys in the room. However, his steadfast loyalty to a player, like Bonner, who routinely provides diminishing returns the more he plays, is either plain arrogance, denial or ignorance. Or a combination of all three.

hater
03-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Bonner is a limited individual. He will never amount to more than a 12th man caliber player.

BTW, he is shooting under 40% from 3 in March. Which combined with his shortcomings on defense amount to a complete disgrace and waste of space and minutes.

I agree 100% of the blame is on the coaching staff not of Bonner. They are in denial of what Bonner brings to the table.

Brazil
03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
because we really needed a new bonner thread

Kool Bob Love
03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Some people have nothing better to do than to complain about Bonner. Over and over and over. And they think it's clever. Trendy even. Not so much.

Just let them be.

Nice sig man.:toast