PDA

View Full Version : Htc evo 3d

Agloco
03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Anyone know when this monster is coming out? Saw some shots of this and a demo from CTIA. Was gonna go with an EVO 4G as my Sprint Platinum upgrade but if this is available in the summer I'll have to hold off.

Specs:

* 4.3-inch 3D capacitive touchscreen with 960×540 pixels resolution!
* 1.2 GHz dual-core Snapdragon CPU
* Dual 5-megapixel rear cameras for recording 3D video at 720p — 2D video is recorded at 1080p.
* 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video calls
* 4GB of internal memory, microSD expansion slot (8 GB card comes inside the box).
* GPS, Bluetooth and “standard” sensors
* DNLA support and HDMI port – for beaming videos to the TV
* Dimensions: 5.0×2.6×0.48 inches
* Android 2.3

Drool......

lefty
03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
3D is gonna fail so much

lol HTCq

lefty
3D is gonna fail so much anyway

lol HTC

lefty
ooops sorry double post

Drachen
03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Anyone know when this monster is coming out? Saw some shots of this and a demo from CTIA. Was gonna go with an EVO 4G as my Sprint Platinum upgrade but if this is available in the summer I'll have to hold off.

Specs:

* 4.3-inch 3D capacitive touchscreen with 960×540 pixels resolution!
* 1.2 GHz dual-core Snapdragon CPU
* Dual 5-megapixel rear cameras for recording 3D video at 720p — 2D video is recorded at 1080p.
* 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video calls
* 4GB of internal memory, microSD expansion slot (8 GB card comes inside the box).
* GPS, Bluetooth and “standard” sensors
* DNLA support and HDMI port – for beaming videos to the TV
* Dimensions: 5.0×2.6×0.48 inches
* Android 2.3

Drool......

One thing that you forgot... 1 Gb RAM!

Honestly, I don't care if the 3d is good or not. This phone is a beast without it. If the 3d is good, I would still only have one screen to display it on (the phone's) because I am not going to buy a 3d tv

DJ Mbenga
03-27-2011, 11:25 PM
this phone is a beast. still wonder when android will allow hardware acceleration. once that happens a phone like this can have smooth scrolling that can rival safari

Viva Las Espuelas
03-27-2011, 11:26 PM
BUT.........no kickstand :depressed

Drachen
03-27-2011, 11:55 PM
BUT.........no kickstand :depressed

Actually, I saw that and was pretty disappointed (no joke).

Cry Havoc
03-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Actually, I saw that and was pretty disappointed (no joke).

It's amazing how certain people are so brainwashed that they are actually glad not to have features. I LOVE the kickstand on my Evo, I use it all the time. I wish my Nook Color had one, enough that the case I got actually flips around into a bi-level stand.

Drachen
03-28-2011, 08:04 AM
It's amazing how certain people are so brainwashed that they are actually glad not to have features. I LOVE the kickstand on my Evo, I use it all the time. I wish my Nook Color had one, enough that the case I got actually flips around into a bi-level stand.

I have the roo case for my NC. 22 different positions baby!

Actually the funny thing is that I just got my wife an Evo about 2 weeks ago and she used the kickstand on the first day. Additionally it was she who noticed that there was no kickstand on the 3d when I showed her the endgaget "hands on" video about 5 days ago. If you think about that, it was already so important that after about 9-10 days of owning the evo, THAT was where her mind went when watching a video about this beast.

The kickstand is a great idea since phones have moved toward media consumption devices.

Cry Havoc
03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
The kickstand is a horrible idea as long as no Apple product has one.

Fyi, ftfy, tbh.

Venti Quattro
03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
3D is gonna fail so much

lol HTCq

3D is gonna fail so much anyway

lol HTC

ooops sorry double post

OMG LEFTY STOP IT PLEASE YOU'RE SO FUNNY :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

lefty
03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
OMG LEFTY STOP IT PLEASE YOU'RE SO FUNNY :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
Your act is getting old

Agloco
03-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Your act is getting old

And yours isn't?

Lets talk about fail....... hows the HTC EVO 4g doing anyway? What makes you think that a beefed up version with 3d camera capability is going to do worse than it's predecessor?

Agloco
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
The kickstand is a great idea since phones have moved toward media consumption devices.

Sure it is. I'm not letting the absence of a kickstand stop me from taking a good look at this though. That's nothing a few books and a clean table can't fix.

Drachen
03-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Sure it is. I'm not letting the absence of a kickstand stop me from taking a good look at this though. That's nothing a few books and a clean table can't fix.

Oh don't worry about it, I will be looking too. cases with kickstands can be bought. LOL

leemajors
03-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Oh don't worry about it, I will be looking too. cases with kickstands can be bought. LOL

or you can just use a business card holder.

balli
03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Or a paperclip.

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/782/a9911714e.jpg

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1151/40e1a60e.jpg

My old ass Archos Wifi had a kickstand. I thought it was great. Haters gon' hate.

Cry Havoc
03-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Sprint just told me today that since I'm a "loyal customer" I get an upgrade early... so instead of having to wait 18 months I can get a new phone in June. :wow This phone looks tasty....

Drachen
03-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Sprint just told me today that since I'm a "loyal customer" I get an upgrade early... so instead of having to wait 18 months I can get a new phone in June. :wow This phone looks tasty....

How long have you been a "loyal customer"? Also, are you the only one on your account (only one phone)?

Agloco
04-03-2011, 12:53 PM

:tu

Yeah, I was just notified that I'm a "Platinum Customer". Along the lines of what you said, I can get a phone before my contract is up at the end of the year. Dunno exactly when this is coming out though.

My wife just picked up the Samsung Epic. She switched from a Palm-Pre. It's got me drooling even more........

How long have you been a "loyal customer"? Also, are you the only one on your account (only one phone)?

I've been with Sprint just over a decade now if that gives you an idea.

Agloco
06-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Bump. Official release date is June 24.

:hungry:

Spurtacus
06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Love the specs except for 3D. If they released this same exact phone but took away the 3D and added a kickstand I would probably upgrade from my Epic.

Agloco
06-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Love the specs except for 3D. If they released this same exact phone but took away the 3D and added a kickstand I would probably upgrade from my Epic.

It's not full time 3D. It's something you can toggle in and out of, just like the camera acquisition.

Spurtacus
06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
It's not full time 3D. It's something you can toggle in and out of, just like the camera acquisition.

I know, but I have no interest in having it at all. I dislike the way the phone looks on the back because of the two cameras. My Epic back is sexy.

I guess I shouldn't have said "same exact". But if this had been the Evo 2 with one camera w/ flash and kickstand.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
It does look damn sexy.

You nerd-fighting sumbitches are on notice. I want detailed instructions on exactly what I need to do and have to make it run smoothly.

No excuses and no exceptions.

Agloco
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I know, but I have no interest in having it at all. I dislike the way the phone looks on the back because of the two cameras. My Epic back is sexy.

I guess I shouldn't have said "same exact". But if this had been the Evo 2 with one camera w/ flash and kickstand.

:tu

I can appreciate that..... it's just that I've never bought a phone based on it's looks before.

Agloco
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Bump......it's finally here!!!!

I've gotta wait a few days though since I ordered mine online. Sprint cancels the upgrade charges for Premiere customers if they order this way.

I also got to play with it today, very impressive.

:hungry:

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Did you remember to extend your contract over the phone? $70 credit to your account if done this way. And it has to be done prior to upgrading your phone.

Must be done through CS and not in-store.

And I went with the Shift. Like the 4G, the 3D is just too big for me.

Pretty, though.

Agloco
06-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Did you remember to extend your contract over the phone? $70 credit to your account if done this way. And it has to be done prior to upgrading your phone.

Must be done through CS and not in-store.

And I went with the Shift. Like the 4G, the 3D is just too big for me.

Pretty, though.

Bah, no I didn't. I had no idea that offer was on the table tbh. The phone already shipped. My wife has the Samsung version of the Shift, the Epic and she loves it. I was originally going to buy a Shift, but then I heard about the 3d coming up so I decided to wait.

I'm with you on the size of the 4g. It's just too big. the 3d is slimmer so it's easier for me to grasp.

Slydragon
06-25-2011, 01:20 AM
I got a epic and I am good with it I bought a bigger battery a month ago and can get 16-18 hours and that is with screen on time 3+ hours and streaming Pandora most the day to my stereo bluetooth.

The wife has the duel screen echo and while she loved the phone she hated the camera and loved mine but I bought her vignette camera app and she's happy now.

Still the 3D caught my eye but I have yet to see it, today I pass a radio shack and they had the whole front window plastered with "its here" posters for the evo 3D they even had those fan blowing long Sprint logo things. So I was like hell ya let me pop in and check out the new evo. I ask where is it and he points me to a fake plastic mock up. WTF the main selling point is 3 fucking D and you show me a hollowed out mock up. I just smiled and walk out.

Tiago Splitter
06-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Got mine yesterday and the phone is probably one of the best Androids out there. Sense 3.0 is surprisingly smooth and the dual core processor makes it an enjoyable experience. The 3D is neat but I could care less for it.

Agloco
06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
I got a epic and I am good with it I bought a bigger battery a month ago and can get 16-18 hours and that is with screen on time 3+ hours and streaming Pandora most the day to my stereo bluetooth.

The wife has the duel screen echo and while she loved the phone she hated the camera and loved mine but I bought her vignette camera app and she's happy now.

Still the 3D caught my eye but I have yet to see it, today I pass a radio shack and they had the whole front window plastered with "its here" posters for the evo 3D they even had those fan blowing long Sprint logo things. So I was like hell ya let me pop in and check out the new evo. I ask where is it and he points me to a fake plastic mock up. WTF the main selling point is 3 fucking D and you show me a hollowed out mock up. I just smiled and walk out.

Got mine yesterday and the phone is probably one of the best Androids out there. Sense 3.0 is surprisingly smooth and the dual core processor makes it an enjoyable experience. The 3D is neat but I could care less for it.

Yeah the 3D is something that you have to be patient with really. Unitl you find the proper distance and angle that work best for you, it can be a mediocre experience. I think most will either love it, or hate it...no middle ground.

Having said that, I've really enjoyed it. The more I toy with the 3D camera, the more I like it. You can do some really neat things with it. Can't wait to snap some pics up in Vancouver when I go later this month.

Then theres the functionality of the phone. It's by far and away one of the best setups Ive had on a phone. No icons to click, and virtually everything is "widgetable". I'm digging this big time.

Drachen
07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
OK, i after my Hero lasted for a whopping 2 hours and 50 mins (the battery and charging have been horrible), I finally broke down. I now have this phone. I had to pay 20 bucks move my upgrade date forward from jan 1st to today. This phone is super fast and smooth. I had a bunch of errands so I havent gotten into the meat of playing with it, but so far it is pretty cool

Agloco
07-05-2011, 10:42 AM
OK, i after my Hero lasted for a whopping 2 hours and 50 mins (the battery and charging have been horrible), I finally broke down. I now have this phone. I had to pay 20 bucks move my upgrade date forward from jan 1st to today. This phone is super fast and smooth. I had a bunch of errands so I havent gotten into the meat of playing with it, but so far it is pretty cool

I got about 11.5 hours out of it last week. That included having all of my widgets up, keeping the music on during the entire test, receiving 4 calls which lasted about 2 minutes apiece and doodling on the internet for about 30 minutes. No downloads or uploads.

Drachen
07-05-2011, 11:24 AM
I got about 11.5 hours out of it last week. That included having all of my widgets up, keeping the music on during the entire test, receiving 4 calls which lasted about 2 minutes apiece and doodling on the internet for about 30 minutes. No downloads or uploads.

My most impressive (to me) day was the day before yesterday. I woke up, used about 1.5 hours on wifi right off the bat, talked on the phone for about 30 mins., not as heavy as usual on texts (probably around 50 or so sent about the same received including a few picture messages), went to a wedding and took about 15 pictures (with and without flash none in 3d) and I plugged it in 14 hours and 27 mins later with 10% left.
I always leave 3g on (I use google voice, so i need it for texts). If I am around wifi I use that. I turn 4g on when I am going to surf, then turn it back off when I am done. I have autosync on gmail, facebook, google, htc sense, linked in, Qik, and weather (whatever the default interval is).
That was not my best day, only the day that I am most proud of since it lasted that long under pretty decent usage. My best day was 16 hours and 49 mins at 8%, but yesterday I had it off the charger for 12 hours and 19 mins and it still had 51% left when I plugged it in (with admittedly light usage).

Agloco
07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
My most impressive (to me) day was the day before yesterday. I woke up, used about 1.5 hours on wifi right off the bat, talked on the phone for about 30 mins., not as heavy as usual on texts (probably around 50 or so sent about the same received including a few picture messages), went to a wedding and took about 15 pictures (with and without flash none in 3d) and I plugged it in 14 hours and 27 mins later with 10% left.
I always leave 3g on (I use google voice, so i need it for texts). If I am around wifi I use that. I turn 4g on when I am going to surf, then turn it back off when I am done. I have autosync on gmail, facebook, google, htc sense, linked in, Qik, and weather (whatever the default interval is).
That was not my best day, only the day that I am most proud of since it lasted that long under pretty decent usage. My best day was 16 hours and 49 mins at 8%, but yesterday I had it off the charger for 12 hours and 19 mins and it still had 51% left when I plugged it in (with admittedly light usage).

Yeah, I auto sync all of my E-Mail and FB as well. The one thing I don't do is use 4G since I live in a relatively rural area. I don't think that's something I'll get heavy use on while I have this phone. It also kills the battery I hear. When I'm at home, I use secured Wi-Fi just like you so data isn't an issue either.

This is my first android phone (although I played with my wife's Epic for a few months before deciding on this). How do you like Sense 3 and Gingerbread? I've found the setup to be really functional and quite intuitive. I'm enjoying the auto sync to my E-Mail accounts too. I put an event into my phone and there it is on my PC when I log into my main account. Too cool IMO.

The only complaint I would have are about the feel of the phone. It's a bit thinner than I thought it would be. It always feels like its going to slip out of my hands, so I hold onto it with both using a death grip usually. :lol

Internal storage capacity could have been a bit better, but it's not too bad since most apps give you the option now to save to SD.

Drachen
07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
This is my first android phone (although I played with my wife's Epic for a few months before deciding on this). How do you like Sense 3 and Gingerbread? I've found the setup to be really functional and quite intuitive. I'm enjoying the auto sync to my E-Mail accounts too. I put an event into my phone and there it is on my PC when I log into my main account. Too cool IMO.

I had been using gmail for several years before I got my Hero so I was delighted with how well these phones integrate with gmail (and all that entails). The calendar was most certainly awesome. I love the contact sync and how I will never have to move my contacts again. Sense 3 is a HUGE jump over the sense that came with the Hero (though I have been rooted on the hero for a while, so I haven't messed with sense since June of last year). My biggest complaint is that I can't find the option (if it exists) to scroll in grid mode in my app drawer (this is all I have ever done).

The only complaint I would have are about the feel of the phone. It's a bit thinner than I thought it would be. It always feels like its going to slip out of my hands, so I hold onto it with both using a death grip usually. :lol

Internal storage capacity could have been a bit better, but it's not too bad since most apps give you the option now to save to SD.

If you want it to be slightly thicker get an otterbox defender case. This is what I have used on my hero, and what I have now on my 3dEvo. It fits well, its grippy and it protects the hell out of the phone including a built in screen protector (when I turned my Hero in, several employees were remarking about how good it looked for being almost 2 years old). If that is too big, then I hear that TPU-cases.com has some cases that have a good grip, but are form fitted to the phone (a bonus to this is that the owner is a member at xda and he is very patient and answers questions very promptly there).

Internal storage is literally 0 problem for me. 1.2 GB for apps is more than I need (I had 192 MB on the Hero), plus if I ever do reach that 1.2, as you said, I can just slide them to SD (as a batch command using Sense 3.0!)

koriwhat
07-05-2011, 12:59 PM
the 3d sucks ass on it! my friend has this phone and was showing me some "3d" photos and the shit is blurry as hell and not worth a damn.

Drachen
07-05-2011, 01:10 PM
the 3d sucks ass on it! my friend has this phone and was showing me some "3d" photos and the shit is blurry as hell and not worth a damn.

Cool, go pay the more for the same phone without 3d on Tmo. I don't care about the 3d. For me it is a gimmick, for many, they LOVE that shit and are having lots of fun with it. I don't show anyone the 3d unless they ask. When I show off, I show them the 10-12 second boot time. Point is, this thing is a complete and utter performance beast!

koriwhat
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
phone's nice, don't get me wrong, but the 3d was not 3d to me and more like "time to cross your eyes".

Drachen
07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
phone's nice, don't get me wrong, but the 3d was not 3d to me and more like "time to cross your eyes".

I will say this, I have a scar on my cornea right over my left pupil, and I have never been able to see 3d movies (havent seen any of the "new" 3d movies). I am however able to make out depth on this screen. Also, if I understand correctly they are going to be updating the camera to allow for a much faster shutter speed which should help with 3d captures.

Agloco
07-05-2011, 02:44 PM

If this is the case, then you're doing it wrong. The 3D effect takes some patience. It's not something you can just pick up and view at any random angle or distance. The first thing I tell people is to resist the urge to cross their eyes. Its not like looking at those 3D effect posters.

The next time you get a chance, I suggest watching a short clip of a 3D movie or game. It's a lot easier to train yourself using those than a standard photo where things may be out of focus.

Agloco
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I will say this, I have a scar on my cornea right over my left pupil, and I have never been able to see 3d movies (havent seen any of the "new" 3d movies). I am however able to make out depth on this screen. Also, if I understand correctly they are going to be updating the camera to allow for a much faster shutter speed which should help with 3d captures.

There's something unnatural about looking at a 3D photo since in real life we are never perfectly still. We're always sampling objects from slightly different angles. Still, I like the 3D effect and the more I use the recorder, the better I like it.

Agloco
07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
My biggest complaint is that I can't find the option (if it exists) to scroll in grid mode in my app drawer (this is all I have ever done).

Just hit the grid icon next to the phone button, then hit the menu button. The option to toggle from list to grid is at the left.

If you want it to be slightly thicker get an otterbox defender case. This is what I have used on my hero, and what I have now on my 3dEvo. It fits well, its grippy and it protects the hell out of the phone including a built in screen protector (when I turned my Hero in, several employees were remarking about how good it looked for being almost 2 years old). If that is too big, then I hear that TPU-cases.com has some cases that have a good grip, but are form fitted to the phone (a bonus to this is that the owner is a member at xda and he is very patient and answers questions very promptly there).

Thanks I'll look into it. Right now I'm using an old portable drive case to lug it around in. :lol

Drachen
07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Just hit the grid icon next to the phone button, then hit the menu button. The option to toggle from list to grid is at the left.

Right, however, they only have the option to move in pages in grid mode. If I want to scroll I have to go to list mode.

Thanks I'll look into it. Right now I'm using an old portable drive case to lug it around in. :lol

the TPU cases are like 8 or 9 dollars and free shipping, the otterbox is 50. However the otterbox is (imo) much more protection.

koriwhat
07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
If this is the case, then you're doing it wrong. The 3D effect takes some patience. It's not something you can just pick up and view at any random angle or distance. The first thing I tell people is to resist the urge to cross their eyes. Its not like looking at those 3D effect posters.

The next time you get a chance, I suggest watching a short clip of a 3D movie or game. It's a lot easier to train yourself using those than a standard photo where things may be out of focus.

Next time i hangout with that friend i'll try my best not to instantly go crossed eyed lloking at his 3d photos. I mean the 3d worked, i could see the. Depth and whatnot, but it just looked so blurry and then bam my eyes would cross. I'll have to check it out again soon.

Love the phone though! I always have since it's non 3d version.

Drachen
07-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Just plugged in my phone with 21% battery left after "1 day, 3 hours and 35 minutes." also yes I do use my phone. It was probably a medium use day yesterday.

jman3000
07-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I've been on critical battery levels almost constantly the last few days. My wireless charger is starting to fail and it is just keeping the charge the phone has in it or charging it very, very slowly. Woke up today and battery level was orange. Thing lasted all of 2 months.

Be very cautious of the power mats. Even the adapter you get on the battery cover is flimsy and will break off eventually. Mine did just a few minutes ago and I only take it off to charge when it's in my car or if im at a friends house.

Drachen
07-09-2011, 02:58 PM
I've been on critical battery levels almost constantly the last few days. My wireless charger is starting to fail and it is just keeping the charge the phone has in it or charging it very, very slowly. Woke up today and battery level was orange. Thing lasted all of 2 months.

Be very cautious of the power mats. Even the adapter you get on the battery cover is flimsy and will break off eventually. Mine did just a few minutes ago and I only take it off to charge when it's in my car or if im at a friends house.

What phone?

Agloco
07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Picked up that Otter Box from BB on Monday. I like so far. The only thing I'd change is the silicone exterior. It collects far too much lint it seems.

The belt clip also doubles as a stand for it. Pretty cool.