PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are THIS bad without Duncan?

Basketball Power
03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
I thought this was the deepest team the Spurs had? :lol

TampaDude
03-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Duncan is the defensive anchor of the team. The Spurs will lose every game while Duncan is out.

mexicanjunior
03-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Duncan is the defensive anchor of the team. The Spurs will lose every game while Duncan is out.

Agreed...

Basketball Power
03-27-2011, 09:05 PM

no title contender goes to absolute shit with one player gone, I always cringe when duncan goes to the bench because we are pathetic in the front court

Parker should have been traded and Manu never given an extension

futureAE
03-27-2011, 09:06 PM
We didnt have Duncan or Manu for the majority of the game. Losing to 3 straight playoff teams by the amounts we did is not as bad as you imply. Yes we made mistakes but not that bad. Careless if anything or not mentally tough enough but we're not the Wizards or Timberwolves.

thOOdee
03-27-2011, 09:08 PM
shit...when are 2nd most played big is bonner......not surprised.

TampaDude
03-27-2011, 09:08 PM
no title contender goes to absolute shit with one player gone

We are not a title contender right now.

hommeaetage
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
We didnt have Duncan or Manu for the majority of the game. Losing to 3 straight playoff teams by the amounts we did is not as bad as you imply. Yes we made mistakes but not that bad. Careless if anything or not mentally tough enough but we're not the Wizards or Timberwolves.

Those teams lost a lot of games this year because of the mistakes you just mentioned. The same one this Spurs team is doing late in the season. They might not be Minny or Wiz but they're playing like them at the moment.

ElNono
Which really gives other teams a good idea what to do once Tim comes back... wear him out, and try to make him inefective on defense... unfortunately, Tim never got the help he needed in the twilight of his career....

Ice009
We are not a title contender right now.

How about Dallas? They lost 6 in a row without Dirk and they are a contender.

Losing your best player does sometimes make a different.

How good would the bulls have been without Jordan and a gimpy Pippen?

Dex
03-27-2011, 09:12 PM
For anyone who thinks Duncan has declined and doesn't affect the game anymore, I present that last three games as my evidence.

futureAE
03-27-2011, 09:13 PM
How about Dallas? They lost 6 in a row without Dirk and they are a contender.

Losing your best player does sometimes make a different.

How good would the bulls have been without Jordan and a gimpy Pippen?

Amen

TampaDude
03-27-2011, 09:14 PM
For anyone who thinks Duncan has declined and doesn't affect the game anymore, I present that last three games as my evidence.

^ this

Spurs go 2-1 at worst over the last 3 games with Duncan in, and probably 3-0.

xellos88330
03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Deepest team in the league? Sure. They had given themselves great opportunities for wins in the final minutes without their best interior defender/scorer for two games. Tag that on with the Grizzlies game w/o Manu for the majority of the second half. I'll take those L's. Those were playoff teams on the road the Spurs were playing against, and I have to like what I see for the first 46 minutes. It is just the teams inability to execute down the stretch on both ends of the court that has cost them. I am not worried. Pissed off at the lack of execution, but not worried.

futureAE
03-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Deepest team in the league? Sure. They had given themselves great opportunities for wins in the final minutes without their best interior defender/scorer for two games. Tag that on with the Grizzlies game w/o Manu for the majority of the second half. I'll take those L's. Those were playoff teams on the road the Spurs were playing against, and I have to like what I see for the first 46 minutes. It is just the teams inability to execute down the stretch on both ends of the court that has cost them. I am not worried. Pissed off at the lack of execution, but not worried.

Completely agree. My point

Mugen
03-27-2011, 09:21 PM

POR was definitely about failure to execute. But tonights game was about fatigue/personnel.

TP/Dice were gassed at the end. Plus Coach Bud's failure to put an adequate defender on Randolph/Gasol was inexcusable.

You can't expect defensive stops when you have one of your worst defenders out on the court.

hommeaetage
03-27-2011, 09:28 PM

This is where we disagree. I am worried at the lack of execution for 3 games late in the season! Execution is what win games in the clutch and the playoffs, and they are not doing that. I could've understood if shots weren't falling/ great defensive plays by the opposing teams etc. But this team is giving games away by completely collapsing with some unbelievable mental mistake along with poor coaching decisions. That has to got me worried!

Budkin
03-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Homie, stop trying to make seem like Duncan still matters. You clowns were toast regardless. Kobe would suck it up and play, but Jim decides to sit his lazy ass.

Where did the whole "Jim" Duncan thing come from? I see you Lakers fans calling him that all the time.

futureAE
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
This is where we disagree. I am worried at the lack of execution for 3 games late in the season! Execution is what win games in the clutch and the playoffs, and they are not doing that. I could've understood if shots weren't falling/ great defensive plays by the opposing teams etc. But this team is giving games away by completely collapsing with some unbelievable mental mistake along with poor coaching decisions. That has to got me worried!

Tim Duncan wasnt sitting on the bench. This changes the whole dynamic. I'm glad that we are good enough to know we could have had these games but lets face it. WE WERE UNPREPARED. Better now than later.

hommeaetage
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Tim Duncan wasnt sitting on the bench. This changes the whole dynamic. I'm glad that we are good enough to know we could have had these games but lets face it. WE WERE UNPREPARED. Better now than later.

Bottom line is they finished 0-3 when clearly the last 2 games should've been won. I have no problem with losing when the other team beat you; i have a problem with giving games away and not having any sense of urgency. This team is getting pushed around and they're not responding:bang

hsxvvd
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
CIA Pop's secret plan to get Duncan into MVP talk....

mingus
03-27-2011, 09:47 PM
honestly it's been a damn miracle that the Spurs have been this competitive with Duncan out. on the road, against playoff teams. and in spite of the fact that the coaching has been horrific. if the coaches can manage not to continue to fuck things up (crossing fingers) and Duncan comes back strong, we'll be alright.

Ice009
03-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Bottom line is they finished 0-3 when clearly the last 2 games should've been won. I have no problem with losing when the other team beat you; i have a problem with giving games away and not having any sense of urgency. This team is getting pushed around and they're not responding:bang

How are they going to push anyone around when Bonner is the big man on the court?

The coaching staff is getting push around by the other teams coaching staff.

Yao明
03-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Agreed x 2

itzsoweezee
03-27-2011, 09:52 PM
It's not just no Duncan.

It's no Duncan + a whole lot of Boner.

mytespurs
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
no title contender goes to absolute shit with one player gone, I always cringe when duncan goes to the bench because we are pathetic in the front court

Parker should have been traded and Manu never given an extension

And if we didn't have Parker nor Manu? Spurs would probably be fighting for a playoff spot; Parker & Manu would be shining elsewhere and there'd be whining/moaning about how come spurs got rid of manu & tony. :rolleyes

Spursmania
03-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Uhhh...Yeah. Of course they are this bad without Duncan. He is our defensive anchor.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
It's not just no Duncan.

It's no Duncan + a whole lot of Boner.

Like I said before boners get up when it's time to perform usually, he just lays down like a dude who is old without pills :( Thats him.

TD 21
03-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Why this would surprise anyone, I don't know. I still thought they were fully capable of winning all three games (I knew they wouldn't, though). But without him, they go from a fairly good defensive team to bordering on terrible. They're also out manned on the glass and they have no post up option. He's still far and away their most valuable player.

I suspect he'll be back for the Celtics game, but whether he is or not, this losing streak is going to reach at least five and home court advantage both throughout and in the West are coming right down 'til the end.

This team needs to stop babying their players, stop managing minutes and do whatever it takes to win as many of the next few games as possible, so that they can rebuild their confidence by beating a few credible teams, wrap up the race for home court as soon as possible and get their starters at least the final two games off before the playoffs.