PDA

View Full Version : Carlesimo acknowledges past, moves on

Kori Ellis
06-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Wolves: Carlesimo acknowledges past, moves on
Steve Aschburner, Star Tribune
June 4, 2005 WOLF0604

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5439098.html

What happened to P.J. Carlesimo 7½ years ago wasn't just humiliating, unfortunate, startling, unfair, embarrassing or scary.

It was permanent.

Permanent in the sense that a 12-word version of one miserable incident -- "the NBA head coach who was choked by star guard Latrell Sprewell" -- figures to appear in the first paragraph of Carlesimo's obituary, whenever that day comes.

So running from it is not an option. Calmly explaining to people about the December 1997 assault, when Carlesimo was attacked twice by an irate Sprewell at a Golden State practice, seems to work better.

And that goes for Kevin Garnett.

"I've answered the question hundreds of times," Carlesimo said by phone Thursday, the day after his current employer, the San Antonio Spurs, advanced to the NBA Finals for the second time in three years.

Carlesimo, an assistant under Gregg Popovich and a candidate for the Timberwolves' head coaching position, was responsible for scouting the Suns for that Western Conference championship series, so eliminating them was especially sweet.

Eliminating some of the rumors and speculation about him would be nice, too.

"That's something people are always going to talk about," Carlesimo said. "I honestly don't concern myself with it. It's always going to be there initially, but if I'm lucky enough to coach for Minnesota, hopefully people will learn sooner than later that's not me."

That might include Garnett. Earlier this week, an unattributed report claimed that the Wolves' all-NBA forward was not in favor of hiring Carlesimo, presumably because of baggage lingering from the Sprewell incident. So far, it's only speculation -- Garnett has not commented publicly on Carlesimo or any other aspect of the Wolves' coaching search.

With several candidates still being considered, a variety of tipsters' agendas could be in play. Sprewell has been Garnett's teammate for two seasons and will be a free agent this summer.

Carlesimo refused to take the claim seriously.

"The last guy I'd be concerned about getting along with, or being on the same page with, is Kevin Garnett," he said. "I've known Kevin for a long time. I love Kevin. My only response would be, talk to players I've coached or been around for the last 30 years."

Former Wolves forward Reggie Slater spent two months with Carlesimo in Portland during the 1995-96 season. The Trail Blazers were on the brink of their "Jail Blazers" era then, with a number of renegade players.

"We had Rod Strickland in his prime, Harvey Grant, Clifford Robinson," Slater said by phone Friday. "I couldn't get a fair assessment of him [in dealing with players] because he had kind of a rough group to work with.

"But the man is obviously a student of the game. He gets off the plane, breaks down film and has you ready. He's dead on it."

Denver Nuggets scout Greg Bittner, who left the Wolves to work under Carlesimo in Portland, said: "P.J. was wrongly perceived out of this whole thing. I think he did a pretty good job of handling some tough times in Portland, too."

Carlesimo went 137-109 with three consecutive playoff appearances in Portland, then 46-113 with Golden State. After being fired in December 1999, Carlesimo worked as an NBA broadcaster, then joined San Antonio for the 2002-03 season.

"Me personally, I like him," Spurs forward Robert Horry, a teammate of Sprewell at Alabama, told the New York Daily News last week. "He's a great guy, funny, and he can coach. I want to see him succeed."

Carlesimo confirmed the Wolves and the New York Knicks are the two teams that have interviewed him for current openings. Wolves owner Glen Taylor and vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale flew to San Antonio last week and soon will meet again with two or three finalists, Taylor said.

"It's a great job. I enjoyed the meeting a lot," Carlesimo said. "Obviously, it's more important what Glen and Kevin thought."

ducks
06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
read kg does not want pj

milkyway21
06-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Earlier this week, an unattributed report claimed that the Wolves' all-NBA forward was not in favor of hiring Carlesimo, presumably because of baggage lingering from the Sprewell incident.
i'm happy:D KG have some reservations on P.J. I don't want him to coach one of Spurs nemesis Wolves. I'd be happy if he'll join Malik though...in N.Y. great city.

but, i thought Houston wants Spree? It was reported at the end of the season...:rolleyes.

2centsworth
06-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Kevin Garnett is too stupid to realize a good thing so there's little chance of PJ going to Minnesota. I think Isiah is smarter than what people think, hope PJ goes to NY.

red kryptonite
06-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Why does the title of this article insinuate PJ did something wrong?

mavsfan1000
06-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Kevin Garnett is too stupid to realize a good thing so there's little chance of PJ going to Minnesota. I think Isiah is smarter than what people think, hope PJ goes to NY.
I loved those 2 trade moves. Getting Malik Rose and Maurice Taylor. 2 overpayed players.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Like charles and kenny said "Isiah is putting together a championship team....... in san antonio"

milkyway21
06-04-2005, 01:06 AM
I loved those 2 trade moves. Getting Malik Rose and Maurice Taylor. 2 overpayed players.maybe he didn't realize Nazr could still be a force despite groin injury, thought Malik's contract is better than signing Nazr another contract next season.

to the Spurs advantage. Thanks Isaiah!

2centsworth
06-04-2005, 01:20 AM
I loved those 2 trade moves. Getting Malik Rose and Maurice Taylor. 2 overpayed players.
garnett is stupid, but maybe the comment about isiah is wishful thinking.

sickdsm
06-04-2005, 04:47 PM
What makes you guys think that PJ would be a better mix that Silas? A tough guy that preaches defense who's main forte is chemistry and getting the best out of his players is crap?

I'm not much for Silas but i'd take him in a heartbeat over an x's and o's coach that can't motivate and pisses everyone off.

Theres a differnce between being a hard ass and just being an ass.

Gregg Popovich and Doug Collins, get my drift?

Its been said that Clyde Drexler hated his guts too, and he's certainly no Rod or Latrell.

Dingle Barry
06-04-2005, 05:22 PM
You need more limpwristed coaches like Flip Saunders so we don't have to worry about you ever threatening in the West.

Vashner
06-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Yes the Good old nba.. where you can get away with a Felony while on the clock if you have a good lawyer and shooting percentage....

exstatic
06-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I hope KG is that stupid. Does he think that having the coach eating out of your hand is a good thing? If so, he'll never lead a team to a championship.