PDA

View Full Version : Rating the contenders

duncan228
03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Just the Spurs write-up and the teams. Hit the link for the rest of the write-ups.

Rating the contenders (http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=296013)
By John McMullen, NBA Editor
Sports Network

...With the NBA now less than three weeks away from wrapping up its regular season, we now have quite the sample size to differentiate the pretenders from the contenders for the Lakers throne.

Who has a legitimate shot of slaying Kobe and Company?

It's time to rate the contenders...

THE BIG BOYS (Teams that have a legitimate chance to vanquish the Lakers)

* Chicago Bulls

* Miami Heat

* San Antonio Spurs - Tim Duncan's numbers may be down this season but his importance to the San Antonio certainly is not. The Spurs, who have led the race for the NBA's best record from wire-to-wire, have now lost a season- high three straight since Duncan sprained his left ankle in a win over Golden State last Monday. To make matters worse, San Antonio also lost star swingman Manu Ginobili for much of the second half in Sunday's 111-104 loss at Memphis with bruised a bruised left quadriceps. With a four-game edge over the Lakers for the top spot in the Western Conference and a five-game lead over Dallas in the Southwest Division with nine games to play, the Spurs will be extra cautious with both down the stretch but it's hard to imagine them hitting the postseason with a lot of momentum.

* Boston Celtics

THE FLAWED (Solid teams that are probably fooling themselves if they think they have a chance)

* Dallas Mavericks

* Orlando Magic

* Oklahoma City Thunder

WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR (Teams that need to add a piece to the puzzle)

* Denver Nuggets

* Portland Trail Blazers

http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=296013

John Basedow
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
There are only 3 teams that 'could' knock off LA in the playoffs:

1) OKC
2) Miami
and
3) Chicago (but only if they have HCA).

John Basedow
03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I omitted Boston b/c w/o Perkins they lost their interior toughness...Lakers would stomp that ass now.

honestfool84
03-28-2011, 01:18 PM

1) OKC
2) Miami
and

you're stupid. :) this is all.

Mugen
03-28-2011, 01:19 PM

1) OKC
2) Miami
and

I actually agree, DD.

I'd switch OKC and Miami though and that'd be the order.

IF bynum/pau/odom goes down, then I'd add the Spurs/Mavs/Celts
to that list as well.

But yeah, the Celtics sold their soul when they traded away Perk.

John Basedow
03-28-2011, 01:20 PM
you're stupid. :) this is all.

I'm sorry you can't accept the facts. You'll soon learn.

honestfool84
03-28-2011, 01:22 PM

of course you're supposed to say that, and of course i'm supposed to disagree with you.

we will see who is right in the end. if we have HCA and a healthy team, i wouldn't put anything pass the Spurs.

John Basedow
03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I actually agree, DD.

I'd switch OKC and Miami though and that'd be the order.

IF bynum/pau/odom goes down, then I'd the Spurs/Mavs/Celts
to that list as well.

But yeah, the Celtics sold their soul when they traded away Perk.

Agreed.

Not only did the Celtics sell their soul, but that trade has had a remarkable impact on OKC's D in just 6 games of play...they are only going to get better and more cohesive with more games under their belt.

I put Miami below OKC for the time being, b/c I don't see them getting to the finals unless they are the 1 or 2 seed. They're not good enough to win 2 road series against elite teams, imo. At least not yet. If they can grab the 2nd seed then I'd agree with your placement.

John Basedow
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
of course you're supposed to say that, and of course i'm supposed to disagree with you.

we will see who is right in the end. if we have HCA and a healthy team, i wouldn't put anything pass the Spurs.

With Bonner guarding the post, it's safe to put anything past the Spurs, imo

honestfool84
03-28-2011, 01:28 PM
With Bonner guarding the post, it's safe to put anything past the Spurs, imo

:lol the Lakers aren't going to have a cakewalk to the WCF. stop acting as everything is written in stone.

otherwise, we should just skip the Playoffs, give them a :lobt: & *, and call it a day.

John Basedow
03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
:lol the Lakers aren't going to have a cakewalk to the WCF. stop acting as everything is written in stone.

otherwise, we should just skip the Playoffs, give them a :lobt: & *, and call it a day.

tbh that would save a lot of money on airfare and hotel costs. Same champ, but everybody wins.

Mugen
03-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Agreed.

Not only did the Celtics sell their soul, but that trade has had a remarkable impact on OKC's D in just 6 games of play...they are only going to get better and more cohesive with more games under their belt.

I put Miami below OKC for the time being, b/c I don't see them getting to the finals unless they are the 1 or 2 seed. They're not good enough to win 2 road series against elite teams, imo. At least not yet. If they can grab the 2nd seed then I'd agree with your placement.

OKC is definitely a beast and Perk fits there like a glove. Ibaka has played great as of late as well.

I like Chicago too but i just cant see them getting out of the East because they're gonna have to rely on Boozer sometime during the playoffs and i dont see that happening. As long as Miami plays the way they have been then i like them coming out.

John Basedow
03-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Miami is undoubtedly the most talented and I give them props, but if they end up #3 they'll have to get through 2 teams that they're a combined 0-6 against. Not only that, the Heat have proven to be mentally weak in the clutch. All that can change in the playoffs no doubt, but w/o a track record of it (like Boston, LA, or even SA), I'll believe it when I see it.

703 Spurz
03-28-2011, 01:49 PM

So once the Lakers aren't good anymore, will you be here talking shit still?

John Basedow
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM

If the mood strikes me...

baseline bum
03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I think OKC is definitely the toughest matchup for LA in the west now with Ibaka and Perkins able to guard their bigs. Fisher still isn't going to be able to do anything to stop Westbrook, and Artest will probably have to duplicate the performance he had on Durant last year.

hater
03-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I think OKC is definitely the toughest matchup for LA in the west now with Ibaka and Perkins able to guard their bigs. Fisher still isn't going to be able to do anything to stop Westbrook, and Artest will probably have to duplicate the performance he had on Durant last year.

which is why I want Spurs to drop to 2nd seed. Thunder/Nuggets will give Lakers all they can handle in round 2

spursince#99
03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
which is why I want Spurs to drop to 2nd seed. Thunder/Nuggets will give Lakers all they can handle in round 2agree 100%...the thunder got enough talent to not only put us out but L.A as well...whichever top seed plays the thunder will get upsetted...mark my words...

baseline bum
03-28-2011, 02:44 PM
which is why I want Spurs to drop to 2nd seed. Thunder/Nuggets will give Lakers all they can handle in round 2

I think LA is still a favorite to win that potential series with OKC, if only because of homecourt. It would be interesting though.

crc21209
03-28-2011, 03:08 PM

1) OKC
2) Miami
and

:sleep

spurtech09
03-28-2011, 04:35 PM
what do you expect from a LA mark lol....this guy is stupid

xellos88330
03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
tbh that would save a lot of money on airfare and hotel costs. Same champ, but everybody wins.

Normally you strike me as a dense, no personality, unintelligent punk.

But that shit was funny! :toast :lmao

Seventyniner
03-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Nah, he'll disappear like any common troll.