PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Nation: If it had been playoffs, everyone would've played vs. Blazers

Uriel
03-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Apparently, according to Buck Harvey of the Express-News (who is, as an aside, the closest thing we have to a Spurs insider since Johnny Ludden), if the game against the Blazers had been in the playoffs, the supposed injuries to the Big 3 and McDyess would not have been serious enough to merit withholding them. With 2 days until Boston comes to town, could that mean we'll be in full strength in time to snap our skid? Here's his article in full.

Instead of the panic button, Popovich hits
refresh

Richard Jefferson, the only starter left
standing, came into the locker room before the game in a playful mood. He kicked a large, plastic exercise ball across the room at a couple of teammates.

Be careful not to hurt anyone else, someone kidded him.

“No one’s hurt,” he said, smiling. “They’re all faking.”

Then he kicked the ball again.

Jefferson was joking, naturally, but there was some truth in what he said. According to those who know, all of the Spurs could have suited up Monday if this had been the playoffs.

But Gregg Popovich weighed how effective they would have been, and what they had just gone through, and he made the kind of decision he’s made before.

In doing so, he relieved stress instead of
adding to it.

Those who follow the ways of Popovich aren’t surprised. Two years ago, he did the same in Denver, benching the Big Three and one veteran. The fourth Spur who sat then was Michael Finley; Monday it was Antonio McDyess.

There were differences between the games.

The move two years ago came in early
February, not late March. The Spurs weren’t worrying about the No. 1 seed then, and they were happier. The Spurs were on a four-game winning streak
in 2009, not a three-game losing streak.

But there are more similarities. Both came in back-to-back situations, and both games were competitive. The JV team two years ago was within four points late against a good Nuggets team before losing and Monday, the Spurs did better.

Then, they were close to becoming the second VCU that San Antonio had seen in two days. The Spurs led by eight points early in the fourth, and all they probably needed was for another shooter to join George Hill. Gary Neal, instead, had one of his worst nights, and the Spurs shot 24 percent from behind the 3-point line.

As for Jefferson: He kicked two free throws with less than four minutes left that would have extended the Spurs’ lead.

But Popovich wasn’t planning on a win as much as he was changing his team. The Spurs had come off a three-game road stretch that was as wearing as it was frustrating.

So Popovich could have pushed the sore
veterans out of desperation, and they were available. Tim Duncan isn’t quite right, but he’s doing surprisingly well. McDyess wanted to play. Manu Ginobili walked through the halls without a limp. And then there’s Tony Parker.

When asked if he could have played if this were the playoffs, one close to the team laughed as if to say, of course.

At least the Spurs went to the trouble to issue injury reports Monday. Two years ago, Ginobili was the only one with a detectable injury. The others?

“Parker makes the All-Star team and becomes hard to deal with, so we’re going to sit him and teach him a lesson,” Popovich said with a straight face then. “Duncan says he wants to renegotiate his contract, so I said, ‘Sit, I’m not talking to you.’?”

Eventually, Popovich gave a more serious answer. “For a variety of reasons,” he said, “I don’t think Timmy and Tony should play tonight.”

The variety of reasons is often his and his alone. And this time, when he weighed the physical and the emotional, Popovich likely sensed this: With the Lakers edging closer in the standings, with his players feeling as if everything was slipping away, he needed to hit refresh.

Maybe it worked. After nearly shocking
Portland, was anyone in his locker room
thinking about the road trip anymore?

So now the starters get an extra day of rest, and everyone gets two more, before Boston comes to town. Then Popovich will see if all of them are ready.

Update per Jeff McDonald's Twitter:
JMcDonald_SAEN
Quick predicition, based on gut and
hearsay: Spurs will be full strength
for Boston on Thursday.

LkrFan
03-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Pop actually did the right thing in keeping out Manu and TP. We all know they would have played if this was a playoff game. Timmy D is hurt but he probably would have been taped up heavily and played if these were the playoffs. Dice is an old vet and could use the rest and Pop knows this.

The Spurs still have a cushion over my Lakers and the Mavs so they could afford to buy some extra rest for Manu, TP, TD, and Dice. This also affords Pop to get some quality burn for his youngsters. They played well against Portland considering your best 4 players didn't play.

And what good would it have been to play your big 3 + Dice when you guys can probably do no worse than finish 2nd? Better off getting some quality rest for your horses and quality PT for your youngsters. He knows what the vets will bring. It's time to see who he can trust backing them up as he ponders his playoff rotation.

All that being said, I hope you guys are relatively healthy come playoff time. That way when y'all get rolled over by the Laker Express, there won't be any excuses. :toast

ArtVandelay
03-29-2011, 08:41 AM
hope kobe's daughters get kidnapped

blizz
03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Pop actually did the right thing in keeping out Manu and TP. We all know they would have played if this was a playoff game. Timmy D is hurt but he probably would have been taped up heavily and played if these were the playoffs. Dice is an old vet and could use the rest and Pop knows this.

The Spurs still have a cushion over my Lakers and the Mavs so they could afford to buy some extra rest for Manu, TP, TD, and Dice. This also affords Pop to get some quality burn for his youngsters. They played well against Portland considering your best 4 players didn't play.

And what good would it have been to play your big 3 + Dice when you guys can probably do no worse than finish 2nd? Better off getting some quality rest for your horses and quality PT for your youngsters. He knows what the vets will bring. It's time to see who he can trust backing them up as he ponders his playoff rotation.

All that being said, I hope you guys are relatively healthy come playoff time. That way when y'all get rolled over by the Laker Express, there won't be any excuses. :toast

Good take. I like it. That's respect right there. Thanks.

Giuseppe
03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
hope kobe's daughters get kidnapped

:lol

He'd hide it until after The Finals, wait 72 hours and then tell the old lady like he just found out.

4>0rings
03-29-2011, 12:01 PM
:lol

He'd hide it until after The Finals, wait 72 hours and then tell the old lady like he just found out.Take your child molesting self back downstairs with your ilk.

Giuseppe
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Take your child molesting self back downstairs with your ilk.

I'd say something about you & your ma, but, the Ellis girl might be about.

tee, hee.

TDMVPDPOY
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
i say u rest while you can, we still hold a 3 game lead...

i prefer a healthy spurs lineup ready for the playoffs then tryin to protect some 1st seed

LakerHater
03-29-2011, 12:58 PM

The Spurs still have a cushion over my Lakers and the Mavs so they could afford to buy some extra rest for Manu, TP, TD, and Dice. This also affords Pop to get some quality burn for his youngsters. They played well against Portland considering your best 4 players didn't

:toast