PDA

View Full Version : Report: Spurs interested in trying out Gustavo Ayon

TD 21
03-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Gustavo Ayon has offers from NBA teams to try out during the summer. (http://www.diario.com.mx/notas.php?f=2011/03/29&id=87bdcf0679840a254f30b4f80d315fbf) "There are some confirmed offers, but we don't have the exact dates, that will come at the end of the season because it all depends on if I play the ACB playoffs here," says Ayon. El Diario (http://www.diario.com.mx/notas.php?f=2011/03/29&id=87bdcf0679840a254f30b4f80d315fbf)

"The most interested teams so far, the ones with confirmed offers, are San Antonio and the Phoenix Suns." (http://www.diario.com.mx/notas.php?f=2011/03/29&id=87bdcf0679840a254f30b4f80d315fbf) El Diario (http://www.diario.com.mx/notas.php?f=2011/03/29&id=87bdcf0679840a254f30b4f80d315fbf)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gustavo-Ayon-6355/

wontstartdumbthreads
03-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes. I heard it goes great with a little salsa and tortillas.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
:toast

wontstartdumbthreads
03-29-2011, 04:46 PM
:toast

decided to rethink your original comment?

tdunk21
03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
his youtube highlights kinda reminds me of ryan richards.....

tdunk21
03-29-2011, 04:59 PM
1Rl1a2Dx5mw

ohmwrecker
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
That's one ugly muthafugga!

Obstructed_View
03-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Yes. I heard it goes great with a little salsa and tortillas.

I was going to ask if it's the one that just opened up on Banderas.

chazley
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Color me unimpressed. I will say his jumper looks very nice, but this guy will have to play center exclusively in the league because my first impression is he's not quick or fast at all. His rebounding numbers seem to be good (especially offensive rebounds), but that's the only thing that stands out. I don't see him being a good pick and roll defender, and he'd fit in poorly with Timmy. Let the Suns have him.

Mal
03-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Never, just never heard of him.

mexpurs21
03-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Color me unimpressed. I will say his jumper looks very nice, but this guy will have to play center exclusively in the league because my first impression is he's not quick or fast at all. His rebounding numbers seem to be good (especially offensive rebounds), but that's the only thing that stands out. I don't see him being a good pick and roll defender, and he'd fit in poorly with Timmy. Let the Suns have him.

I was about to post this info but in the think tank,

Well if you are looking for a great low post defender you could take a look at Ayon you could consider him a shot blocker, also he used to be a competitive volleyball player so he has extraordinary agility skills and ranks top 10 in steals, he can jump high with two feet in a short space and his ball handling is decent.

Cons: A bit slow and he will be 26 years old, if Splitter is having a hard time buying PT with Popovich, I think that Ayon will struggle more.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
I was going to ask if it's the one that just opened up on Banderas.

Yours is better. :toast

Blair420
03-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Who?

WHO?

Probably just another oversea scrub that won't fit in as quick as we may want, like Tiago.

8FOR!3
03-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Who?

WHO?

Probably just another oversea scrub that won't fit in as quick as we may want, like Tiago.

Because Splitter's an overseas scrub and all...

Strategic
03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
He's 25 so he's not getting any taller. Sorry but there's not much use for a 6'9" center in the NBA.

mexpurs21
03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
He's 25 so he's not getting any taller. Sorry but there's not much use for a 6'9" center in the NBA.

DeJuan who :lol

Strategic
03-29-2011, 10:08 PM
DeJuan who :lol

My point exactly!! No thanks!

Roger Freemason Jr.
03-30-2011, 02:04 AM
It would be good for the team to actually have a mexican on the roster. :P

jimo2305
03-30-2011, 02:06 AM
It would be good for the team to actually have a mexican on the roster. :P

maybe it will bring more in the homecrowd.. especially for those laker games

PICK-N-ROLL
03-30-2011, 02:33 AM

A Mexican playing in arizona??? Really, think about it. :cop Migra would be all over him there

Bruno
03-30-2011, 05:46 AM
He is still relatively young and he is having a very good season in the best European domestic league. Signing him for the SL or trying him out during a FA minicamp can't be a bad idea.

mexpurs21
05-10-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.latinbasket.com/Mexico/basketball.asp?NewsID=225645

Leetonidas
05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Mexican Forward/Center Gustavo Ayon of Baloncesto Fuenlabrada is the recipient of the revelation of the year award of the Spanish ACB league.

Ayon received 100 first-place votes out of 100, making it an unanimous decision; coaches, players, fans and members of the press supported the Mexican National Team member with 25 votes each, Gustavo managed to beat David Jelinek, Nikola Mirotic, Xavier Rabaseda and Tomas Satoransky.

Despite playing in his first complete season, Gustavo Ayon has positioned himself so far sixth in rebounds per game, eight in steals per game, fourth in blocks per game, and third in efficiency ranking with one game to go.

Former recipients of the revelation of the year award include Richard Hendrix, Brad Oleson, Mirza Teletovic, Ricky Rubio, Carlos Suarez and Sergio Rodriguez.

That last part doesn't sound very promising

TJastal
05-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Duncan is a center nowadays, he needs something with agility playing next to him that can move quickly and cover area with reasonable size. Blair @ 6'6" with the lateral quickness of frozen jello was not the ideal frontcourt partner.

I this guy is a legit 6"9" PF that's enough size but the agility must be there for blocking shots and covering the basket which it seems he has.

Defenitely an intriguing enough prospect for an invite to tryouts.

Agloco
05-10-2011, 03:49 PM
What's with the music in the clip?

Interrohater
05-10-2011, 03:51 PM
To be quite honest, not many of us can say here that we were happy with the frontcourt this season (or in Bonners case, the backcourt), so why not extend this dude a SL invite or a TC invite? We have nothing to lose, except more regular season games which, as we just saw, don't mean anything.

Interrohater
05-10-2011, 03:51 PM
What's with the music in the clip?
lol, I was thinking the same thing. I think maybe somebody has a crush on Gustavo.

Muser
05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Well i'm all for getting younger for the imminent rebuilding.

ChumpDumper
05-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I just don't see a lot of European vets waiting around for the lockout to end.

spursfaninla
05-10-2011, 06:27 PM
He is still relatively young and he is having a very good season in the best European domestic league. Signing him for the SL or trying him out during a FA minicamp can't be a bad idea.

So he is in the greek league?

ChuckD
05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I just don't see a lot of European vets waiting around for the lockout to end.

This. People are acting like it's business as usual. The LV summer league has already been canceled. There is going to be a lockout.

Our training camp roster will look a lot like our final roster, minus Dice, plus Richards. Add maybe 2-3 camp fodder invitees.

suitedkings
05-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Pop wouldnt play him anyways.

Josepatches_
05-11-2011, 12:50 AM
So he is in the greek league?
:lmao:lmao

Greek league is a 2 teams league.

Sure they had the Euroleague champion this year (like last one was from Spain) but outside Pana and Olympiakos maybe none of their teams would made the playoffs in the spanish league.

We can count all the players coming from the greek league recently we have now playing a significant role in the NBA.

Splitter (sure he'll be next year),Scola,Marc Gasol,Calderon or Ibaka are good examples for Spanish ACB.
Gary Neal is the last one who came from the spanish league where he was waived before
If we talk about bench scrubs we can count Rudy Fernandez,Navarro,Garbajosa,Sergio rodriguez......

Now let's see players from Greek league that they aren't scrubs.........eh.....:rolleyes Childress? Wafer? Maurice Evans? :lol All them are USA players and previously they had been playing in the NBA.

Stojakovic could be the only one and he came here long time ago so then I would have to add Pau Gasol or Sabonis from the spanish league too.

spursfaninla
05-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Spanish league has 3 good teams. Barca, Valencia, Baskonia. Then there are 3 average teams in Bilbao, Malaga, and Real.

Other than that the Spanish teams all suck. And Bilbao is no better than Greek teams like Aris or PAOK.

Hell, Sevilla could barely even beat Panellinios when half their roster was playing with severe injuries.

Your overrating of the Spanish League is an epic case of extreme insanity.

Greek clubs went sub .500 in Greece and yet were competitive (as much as all but one Spanish club) in Eurocup.............Greek league is way better than Eurocup or Italian league.

If you really think a club like this year's Aris or PAOK could not make the ACB playoffs then you are without a doubt the single biggest moron to ever post in the history of this forum.

Welcome to permanent ignore.

Yep, KBP.
1) The deep insight into the (obscure and largely irrelevant) greek league: check
2) Over-rating not only greek players but the greek league in general: check
3) Underrating the rest of the European leagues: check
4) Name-calling anyone who disagrees rather than bringing arguments or logic: check

Welcome back. The real question is how long can he stay before he gets himself banned again.:corn:

TJastal
05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Yep, KBP.
1) The deep insight into the (obscure and largely irrelevant) greek league: check
2) Over-rating not only greek players but the greek league in general: check
3) Underrating the rest of the European leagues: check
4) Name-calling anyone who disagrees rather than bringing arguments or logic: check

Welcome back. The real question is how long can he stay before he gets himself banned again.:corn:

I wonder how he even can see anyone's postings since he has 99.9% of spurstalk on ignore.

Leetonidas
05-11-2011, 10:17 AM
The Greek league sucks balls. You could find the very worst American players from the NBDL and the CBA and they'd kick their asses up and down the court. Hell I'm sure And 1 and Slamball players could beat their asses.

alchemist
05-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Spurs need as many young bigs as they can get. If he's a legit 6'10" then try him out. Blair is too short.

NickiRasgo
05-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Spurs just interested for trying him out, it doesn't mean that Spurs interested to sign him.

The_Worlds_finest
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Great he's a rookie he can sit at the end of the bench and play grab ass with Matt bonner

TimDunkem
05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Great he's a rookie he can sit at the end of the bench and play grab ass with Matt bonner
Matt Bonner is never on the end of the bench, and never will be.

Interrohater
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Matt Bonner is never on the end of the bench, and never will be.
:lol

G-Dawgg
05-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm willing to bet that Ayon's offensive skills translate MUCH better to the Nba than Splitters did...just by judging by youtube highlights.

stxspurs
05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm willing to bet that Ayon's offensive skills translate MUCH better to the Nba than Splitters did...just by judging by youtube highlights.

TE
05-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Several D-League MVPs and NCAA stars have tried to make it in the Greek League and they were all cut within 2 weeks due to poor play. It seems that facts and truth are something you hate.

2008 Olympics.

ChumpDumper
05-12-2011, 04:27 AM
Several D-League MVPs and NCAA stars have tried to make it in the Greek League and they were all cut within 2 weeks due to poor play. It seems that facts and truth are something you hate.Top Scorer in the Greek league is a former D-Leaguer.

Top rebounder in the Greek League is a former D-Leaguer (also second in blocks).

Assist leader in the Greek league tied with Spamoulis is a former D-Leaguer.

Steals leader in the Greek league is a former D-Leaguer.

G-Dawgg
05-12-2011, 04:59 AM
:lol:lol

Yes, exactly...says alot about what I think of Splitter's offensive skills :lol

ChumpDumper
05-12-2011, 12:09 PM
A guy that got cut from two teams in Europe and averaged 2.3 points a game in Euroleague was a key rotation player for a 61 win NBA team and made the all-rookie NBA first team.You're using Gary Neal's rookie season as your big example?

:lmao

And there are many, many, many, many more such examples. Alright, give them to us.

I'll match them with Greek players who failed to do anything in the NBA.

You are an epic douche bag.And U mad.

And FYI, eurobasket.com is not an official site. Maybe one day you will grasp that. League leaders in Greece are counted in with playoff stats. eurobasket.com (an unofficial blog) does not count playoff stats.

So FYI, Mr. basketball genius, those are not official stats.:lmao

Nobody counts playoff stats for the regular season.

That's why they are called regular season stats.

Greece keeps regular season stats. That's how people can tell who led the league during the regular season.

D-League players statistically dominate the Greek League.

Greek players fail in the NBA.

These are the facts.

You are mad about that and tried to lie about it.

That is also a fact.

ChumpDumper
05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
You don't even know that eurobasket.com is unofficial blog and that in Europe they officially count playoff stats and season stats together......I know what Eurobasket is.

They listed the regular season stats because the Greek league keeps regular season stats. You can find them on the Greek league site. Where do you think Eurobasket gets them?

Back to ignore for you, for a LONG time.D-League players dominate the Greek league.

Greek players fail in the NBA and whine about it for years.

BackHome
05-14-2011, 03:30 PM

The question I have is do we draft guys that fit better with Duncan who may retire in one year or do we draft guys who will fit with Splitter?

I also thought he kinda looked slow but after watching a few more videos of his game I came away with a smile. The guy has really nice foot work down in the paint and can create his own shot. The kid can dribble and create his own shot even saw him leading the fast break which was is always impresive for someone almost seven feet tall. Also based on his rebounding stats he will be a rebounding machine for the Spurs.

Don't want to get my hopes up to high but to be honest I would take any PF over 6'6 and anyone name who doesn't start with a B.

G-Dawgg
05-14-2011, 05:20 PM
The question I have is do we draft guys that fit better with Duncan who may retire in one year or do we draft guys who will fit with Splitter?

I also thought he kinda looked slow but after watching a few more videos of his game I came away with a smile. The guy has really nice foot work down in the paint and can create his own shot. The kid can dribble and create his own shot even saw him leading the fast break which was is always impresive for someone almost seven feet tall. Also based on his rebounding stats he will be a rebounding machine for the Spurs.

Don't want to get my hopes up to high but to be honest I would take any PF over 6'6 and anyone name who doesn't start with a B.

The answer is draft a servicable frontcourt player whether power forward or center, because Duncan will be retiring and Splitter clearly is a bust. Why would you want to build your franchise around somebody so unimpressive?

Splitter is waaaay shittier than Oberto, and nobody ever thought of Oberto as a foundation to build a franchise around. Period

BackHome
05-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Ummmm........so we going to find David Robinsons clone drafting #29...Yeah.......

UnWantedTheory
05-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Why the fuck is Splitter a bust? That is just a ridiculous statement to make this early on.

Trill Clinton
05-15-2011, 01:51 PM
not impressed:sleep

Spurs da champs
05-15-2011, 02:15 PM
No more euro/foreign bigs. We already got Splitter, we need someone who can help right away.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Like Michael Beasley?

Interrohater
05-15-2011, 02:48 PM
The answer is draft a servicable frontcourt player whether power forward or center, because Duncan will be retiring and Splitter clearly is a bust. Why would you want to build your franchise around somebody so unimpressive?

Splitter is waaaay shittier than Oberto, and nobody ever thought of Oberto as a foundation to build a franchise around. Period

Maybe period for you, as if you have all the answers that the rest of the world doesn't. Calling Splitter a bust at this point is an easy identifier that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Spurs da champs
05-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Like Michael Beasley?

Yeah Beasley over Jefferson? DumpChump

ChumpDumper
05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah Beasley over Jefferson? DumpChumpMaybe you should compare players that play the same position.

Did you know there are different positions in basketball?

Spurs da champs
05-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Maybe you should compare players that play the same position.

Did you know there are different positions in basketball?

Yeah Beasley is a small forward, Jefferson 2.

Splitter is a center-forward so is this kid.

Did you know that?

ChumpDumper
05-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah Beasley is a small forward, Jefferson 2.

Splitter is a center-forward so is this kid.

Did you know that?So he could play center or forward?

Sign him up.

ChumpDumper
05-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Kahn is using him as a small forward?

No wonder they lose so much.

I would like to get Tolliver back though tbh.

Spurs da champs
05-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Kahn is using him as a small forward?

No wonder they lose so much.

I would like to get Tolliver back though tbh.

Yeah he scored 19ppg at his natural position, their PGs sucked as well as their coach.

lol Tolliver?

ChumpDumper
05-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah he scored 19ppg at his natural position, their PGs sucked as well as their coach.Remember Tony Campbell?

He did the same thing on a shitty Wolves team.

I wouldn't trade Parker for him either.

lol Tolliver?Yes. Tolliver.

Spurs da champs
05-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Remember Tony Campbell?

He did the same thing on a shitty Wolves team.

I wouldn't trade Parker for him either.

Yes. Tolliver.

Beasley has a lot more potential then him, come on.

Like I said tho we probably wouldn't need to trade parker any more for him, David Kahn isn't smart the guy believes in Darko, maybe Hill & bonner?

Tolliver as back up small forward don't sound too bad, I guess.

Why did Pop cut him anyways???

BackHome
05-15-2011, 05:45 PM
People forget that Tolliver was doing really good in camp until either his Mother or Grandmother passed away. After that he just wasn't the same player which I can fully understand.......

tdunk21
06-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Gustavo Ayon set to interview with Spurs

http://www.projectspurs.com/2011-articles/june/gustavo-ayon-set-to-interview-with-spurs.html

The San Antonio Spurs will be interviewing Mexican big man Gustavo Ayon aka "The Titan" out of the ACB League playing with Baloncesto Fuenlabrada, according to his former coach Javier Ceniceros:

"I spoke with Gustavo and told me that this week will be interviews with Denver and San Antonio, hopefully I can close a bit early," said Ceniceros, UPAEP coach and who is considered the mentor of Ayon.

“Hablé con Gustavo y me dijo que esta semana estará en entrevistas con Denver y San Antonio, ojalá pueda cerrar algo pronto”, declaró Ceniceros, coach de la UPAEP y quien es considerado el mentor de Ayón.

Ayon spent time playing in Spain as was given the 2011 "Rising Star Award" by fellow players, ACB coaches and fans.

The 6'10", 26 year-old center/forward averaged 10.8 points, shot 66% from the field, 60% from the free throw line, 6.5 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks in 22.1 minutes for Fuenlabrada last season. He has a three-year contract with his current team with an option for a fourth year but should the NBA come calling he will speak with his team.

Furthermore, the Spurs have expressed interest in Ayon in the past.

Well Spurs fans, he is a big man, something the Spurs desperately need, but do you feel Ayon could fill the Spurs' need?

jermaine
06-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Pull out the YouTube vids please someone. The ones of him blocking shots an gettin easy bucket from different angles that keep repeating. Yea, that will sell him to Spurs fans (see Marcus Haslip)

k_nguyen93
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
THE EFF?
Center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_%28basketball%29) Height 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)

Revelation of the year award :rollin
Can we award that to Splitter next year?

ChumpDumper
06-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Ayon is at Denver's free agent camp.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2011/6/16/2227521/nba-rumors-denver-nuggets-free-agent-camp

rmt
06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Please get someone with height and size so I don't have to watch Randolph/Gasol abuse Bonner/Blair again next year.

timvp
02-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Bump.

How did the Spurs miss on this guy? I mean, just the fact that he's from Mexico should have made the Spurs err on the side of throwing too much money at him. :lol

And, according to ShamSports, it looked like he signed for a grand total of $1.5 million in guaranteed money.

I've watched him play a few times and I'm pretty impressed. He's 6-foot-10, long arms, high motor, rebounds well, blocks shots, strong defending the post and knows how to play on offense. He's not a star in the making but could turn out to be a Jeff Foster type player. As it is, his per 40 minutes averages are pretty impressive: 12 points, ten boards, 2.5 blocks. Shooting 56.2% from the field with an 18.5 PER.

If the Spurs would have spent a couple million bucks on him in the summer, they probably wouldn't have to be in the market for another big.

P.S.

Gotta think Dell Demps first heard of him while with the Spurs. Wonder if he just outbid the Spurs or if S.A. dropped out of the running.

ElNono
02-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Apparently, there's no minutes for another big

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Apparently, there's no minutes for another bigNot a starting job for sure.

GSH
02-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Williams has been a problem child at times. Not the first guy you would think of for the Spurs. That being said, he actually got the most first place votes for DPOY, but finished second on total points. He seems to have found some focus.

There are reportedly several teams trying to buy out and sign Gustavo Ayon (Aguirre). He's 6'9" or 6'10", depending on who you talk to. The Spurs have looked at him in the past - not sure why they passed. If there was a city ready-made for a Mexican center, it's SA.

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the Spurs didn't bring Ayon in. He was better than any of the scrubs they had a realistic shot at getting, without a doubt. And, yes, SA is a natural for a Mexican center. He would have sold tickets, just sitting on the bench.

That post reminded me - How is Sean Williams doing in the D-League this year? If he has his mental shit together, he's big and very athletic.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Williams is actually under contract with the Mavs.

DPG21920
02-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Not a starting job for sure.

Was Ayon in line for the starting job with NO?

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Was Ayon in line for the starting job with NO?He's starting now.

DPG21920
02-14-2012, 12:34 AM
But he didn't know that when he signed. If the Spurs had injuries to two front court players he would have likely had the same chance. He only started recently do to injuries.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
But he didn't know that when he signed. If the Spurs had injuries to two front court players he would have likely had the same chance. He only started recently do to injuries.There was no way the Spurs roster would be in flux like that of the Hornets.

No way in hell.

Feel free to speculate all you like though.

timvp
02-14-2012, 12:39 AM
The Hornets got two extra years of control for about $1.5 million. If the Spurs offered Ayon $2 million with a player option, I couldn't imagine he turned that down in favor of the deal he took with the Hornets.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 12:41 AM
The Hornets got two extra years of control for about $1.5 million. If the Spurs offered Ayon $2 million with a player option, I couldn't imagine he turned that down in favor of the deal he took with the Hornets.Tough to think the Spurs would offer that unless they were planning on dumping one of the other big men.

ElNono
02-14-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm just going by Pop saying a few days ago that Tiago didn't get to play much at all last season because there were just no minutes for him. I suspect Ayon would've been warming up benches around the league if he would've signed for us.

DPG21920
02-14-2012, 12:46 AM
There was no way the Spurs roster would be in flux like that of the Hornets.

No way in hell.

Feel free to speculate all you like though.

Ok. Feel free to be intellectually dishonest. If you would have bumped this when he signed with NO and stated him starting was the reason you'd have a case.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Ok. Feel free to be intellectually dishonest.There's nothing intellectual about this retarded conversation.
If you would have bumped this when he signed with NO and stated him starting was the reason you'd have a case.I don't see the Spurs spending MLE money on a guy who wouldn't play and I'm not sure I could see see Ayon's signing for a team that wouldn't play him.

Now you can start your alternative timeline where he does sign with the Spurs and starts instead of Blair. It will be intellectually honest, of course.

DPG21920
02-14-2012, 12:56 AM
I never said he would start here. You tried to imply he signed with NO because he could start. I pointed out he couldn't have known that considering he's only starting now because of injuries. You said the Spurs roster wouldn't be in flux like NO's, so do you have proof this was Ayon's thinking?

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 12:58 AM
I never said he would start here. You tried to imply he signed with NO because he could start. I pointed out he couldn't have known that considering he's only starting now because of injuries. You said the Spurs roster wouldn't be in flux like NO's, so do you have proof this was Ayon's thinking?I pointed out the potential opportunity he had at the time of the signing and what actually happened.

Worked out pretty well for him, didn't it?

DPG21920
02-14-2012, 01:05 AM
So can I see the link on him saying that was his thinking?

BackHome
02-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Why can't we all just get along.:ihit

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 01:07 AM
So can I see the link on him?You can see a link to my speculation.

Do you need a link to that?

Let me know.

TE
02-14-2012, 01:09 AM
You can see a link to my speculation.

Do you need a link to that?

Let me know.

:lol

Bruno
02-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Spurs being over the tax might be a reason why Spurs haven't offered him a relatively big contract.

Splitter, Ayon and Pekovic, who were great in Europe, are now doing well in the NBA. I hope it will push Spurs towards trying to sign Lorbek.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Spurs being over the tax might be a reason why Spurs haven't offered him a relatively big contract.Weren't they chasing every free agent small forward available at the time as well?

Splitter, Ayon and Pekovic, who were great in Europe, are now doing well in the NBA. I hope it will push Spurs towards trying to sign Lorbek.Definitely.

Bruno
02-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Weren't they chasing every free agent small forward available at the time as well?

If they had signed a FA SF, they would have likely too amnestied RJ and, by consequence, go under the tax.

Spurs being over the tax is certainly the main reason of Spurs apathy on the free agent front this season.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
If they had signed a FA SF, they would have likely too amnestied RJ and, by consequence, go under the tax.

Spurs being over the tax is certainly the main reason of Spurs apathy on the free agent front this season.Well sure, but they still would have had to pay RJ on top of any signings. We can only guess what they would have been willing to spend had the amnesty gone forward.

I'm too lazy and ignorant of the new rules to try to produce a number.

CGD
07-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Word is the Magic dumped Ayon. Forget Oden and his knees, Spurs should scoop up this guy for the same money assuming he clears waivers.

https://twitter.com/BucksPR/status/360539736529580033

td4mvp2k
07-26-2013, 05:00 PM
:lmao

CGD
07-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Ayon would be a solid 4th big off the bench, who could compete with Baynes for minutes. Not saying hes a star or anything. With the Oden and Masgov rumors the Spurs are looking for a big it seems (don't get the reasoning but they seem to be). Ayon is a heady player who plays with balls, and has a nice midrange jumper. I see a lot of Oberto in him. If he clears waivers I don't see why the spurs don't Pursue him with a minimum vet offer.

T Park
07-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Ayon >>>>> Mozgov. Always have liked Ayon.

Aiko9245
07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8dm5ba1Yv1qb5jjpo1_500.gif

Kindergarten Cop
07-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Word is the Magic dumped Ayon. Forget Oden and his knees, Spurs should scoop up this guy for the same money assuming he clears waivers.

Magic?

CGD
07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Sorry meant bucks

Kingsly Alexander
07-26-2013, 11:16 PM

How long before a player clears through the waiver process? Hopefully Oden announces something soon, so we'll know where we stand with our intentions for the last roster spot if and when he spurns us

Kingsly Alexander
07-26-2013, 11:44 PM
http://youtu.be/CZDEwknSEhU

FireMicoHalili
07-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Spurs just interested for trying him out, it doesn't mean that Spurs interested to sign him.
this. But hooray for armchair GMs! And demeaning opinion with no stats backing them up!

FireMicoHalili
07-26-2013, 11:47 PM
so Ayon, DeShaun Thomas, and Greg Oden considered for the 15th spot. And Ryan Gomes.

FkLA
07-27-2013, 02:59 AM
http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/Mexico_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-28-2013, 01:02 AM
http://youtu.be/CZDEwknSEhU

Whoever had the idea of putting Kid Rock as the background music of the video needs to be shot.

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2013, 01:14 AM
Tbh, if the Spurs were to pick up this dude he would become a fan favorite instantly because of all the Mexican fan base in San Antonio. Whether he would succeed or not is a different story.

Spursfan092120
07-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Never heard of the guy, but after watching the video, he reminds me a lot of the guy most of you hate, Matt Bonner. Same quick release, not very good jumping ability. Maybe just a little more coordination than Matt, and a little faster, but not sure he would be much better with the negative of having to learn the system. Personally, I'd pass. I'd look more at Thomas, Oden, or Gomes if we're going to have someone take that 15th spot.

callo1
07-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Would be a great PR move for the Spurs. He seems very raw still, so I am uncertain of his ability to be a solid contributor off the bench. With international players, it is really hard to predict exactly how there games transfer to the NBA, but coming to San Antonio may just be the environment (from a cultural standpoint) that allows Ayon to flourish.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Spurs being over the tax might be a reason why Spurs haven't offered him a relatively big contract.

Splitter, Ayon and Pekovic, who were great in Europe, are now doing well in the NBA. I hope it will push Spurs towards trying to sign Lorbek.

I, too, wish they would revisit Lorbek, rather than Ayon, if that is what you meant.

Spurs being over the tax is certainly the main reason of Spurs apathy on the free agent front this season.

They could still amnesty Bonner, couldn't they? If so, why the love affair with him? He could eventually go into the FO if that is what they envision, even after an amnesty. I don't get it.

Bruno
07-28-2013, 07:51 AM
I, too, wish they would revisit Lorbek, rather than Ayon, if that is what you meant.

It's a more than 1 years old post.

As it stands, Spurs don't have the money to go after Lorbek which is damn fine for me. Lorbek 2012-2013 season has been very disappointing and he has had a knee surgery this summer. There is no way he is worth the $3M or $4M per year it would take to match what he is earning in Europe.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 07:55 AM
It's a more than 1 years old post.

As it stands, Spurs don't have the money to go after Lorbek which is damn fine for me. Lorbek 2012-2013 season has been very disappointing and he has had a knee surgery this summer. There is no way he is worth the $3M or $4M per year it would take to match what he is earning in Europe.

I stand corrected!:smchode:

Kindergarten Cop
07-28-2013, 12:05 PM
They could still amnesty Bonner, couldn't they? If so, why the love affair with him? He could eventually go into the FO if that is what they envision, even after an amnesty. I don't get it.

The deadline to use the amnesty provision was almost 2 weeks ago. Bonner's likely a Spur until, at least, the trade deadline considering that he is a decent player on a reasonable deal (that is also expiring). Or he could still be packaged in a S/T before the season begins, but that's appearing less likely with each passing day.

mexpurs21
07-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Ayón will sign with the Hawks, according to reports.