PDA

View Full Version : Being the 2# seed in the West might not be bad if it means we play New Orleans

Spurs and Mavs fan
03-29-2011, 08:20 PM
.........as opposed to playing Memphis.

Which, judging from the standings, seems quite possible. There's only one game of separation between NOH and MEM but it's quite likely that NOH will be 7# and MEM will be 8#.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that the Spurs tank anything, or lose anything on purpose - far from it. I'm just saying that if we fall to the 2# seed in the West, it isn't the end of the world and wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing.

Dex
03-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Why didn't anybody think of this before?

easy7
03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Let the chips fall where they may... Losing to gain something always backfires.

4>0rings
03-29-2011, 08:24 PM
It's a huge gamble. If LA doesn't lose then we lose.

tdunk21
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
i dont mind the spurs playing hornets, but hornets with or without david west are a tough team.....but we need that 1st overall to atleast think about beating lakers.....

i want lakers to play memphis or portland coz they have trouble with these teams everytime.....i dont think they can take the lakers but they can take it to 5 or 6 games and then followed by the mavs series.....

james evans
03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
i'd much rather the spurs be in #2 than #1 right now. going thru memphis and then okc is not gonna be an easy task while giving the lake show an easier route.

ajballer4
03-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Memphis will jump New Orleans. Book it

Spurs and Mavs fan
03-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Sure, LAL may have HCA over us if they're 1#, but we'll deal with that bridge when we come to it. They have to go through two playoff rounds, too, and with MEM and OKC, an upset Grizz or Thunder win over the Lakers is certainly plausible.

Ginobili2Duncan
03-29-2011, 09:43 PM
I think the Spurs losing the #1 seed will lingering effects on them going into the playoffs,considering they had a 7.5 game lead over the Lakers. Starting Game 1 of the WCF in Staples Center might kill the team's confidence.

And it is much more likely that the Hornets drop to the #8 spot with no West and two more games coming up against Memphis.

itzsoweezee
03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
The Grizzlies are playing great and are only a game behind the Hornets, who are playing terribly. I think it's almost certain that New Orleans ends up the #8 seed.

DMC
03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
If we are afraid to meet any playoff team at any time, we probably won't win. We need to win every game from here on out. That's the mentality the team has to have.

SouthTexasRancher
03-29-2011, 10:52 PM

Which, judging from the standings, seems quite possible. There's only one game of separation between NOH and MEM but it's quite likely that NOH will be 7# and MEM will be 8#.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that the Spurs tank anything, or lose anything on purpose - far from it. I'm just saying that if we fall to the 2# seed in the West, it isn't the end of the world and wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing.

Pop ain't no dummy. He knows it is better presently to end up with the 2nd seed in the West since if everything stays the same we'd get New Orleans and the Mavs and should be good and healthy AND.....much more experienced with the newbies come time to play the Lakers in the WC Finals and in really good shape when we play and beat Da Bulls in the NBA Finals...! But if Phlip gets wind of Special Ops Pop and his Deep Six Secret plan we'll still do fine as the #1 seed. Bring em on....

Juggity
03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
I'd rather play NO than Memphis, but we should all keep in mind the blowout that NO served us back in January lest we forget that they could be a dangerous team as well

VBM
03-29-2011, 11:40 PM
If SA loses the one seed, look on the bright side. It's highly unlikely SA would start a series up 2-0 on LA (meaning they'd have lost HCA anyway). If they had to start on the road, splitting the first two games would be viewed as a huge momentum gain).

With that said, Spurs would really have to collapse in April for this to happen.

Budkin
03-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Having to play a potential game 7 on the road is not good. Go for the top seed no matter what.

Fireball
03-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Pop will not gamble. Hopefully its not Memphis in the first round, because we would not survive a series with them injury wise. Look what they did to the Spurs in two games ...

ALVAREZ6
03-30-2011, 12:43 AM
yeah, uhhhh, ......, No. We need to get by the Lakers sooner or later, preferably given 4 home games as opposed to 3.

Spurs da champs
03-30-2011, 01:22 AM
The Grizzlies are playing great and are only a game behind the Hornets, who are playing terribly. I think it's almost certain that New Orleans ends up the #8 seed.

I agree, and this is just the regular season I still think if we play the grizz in the play offs we'll sweep them or win in 5. They're not that much of a threat.

The Reckoning
03-30-2011, 01:57 AM
spurs AND mavs fan?

wtf?

spurs10
03-30-2011, 02:04 AM
We won't be throwing any games before we clinch the #1 seed. Don't be betting against us...we'll do this. We just lost 4 in a row and we still have an impressive lead. With Tim, TP, and Manu back, I like our chances...

tuncaboylu
03-30-2011, 02:15 AM
It's a good observation.

I don't jump on "Let's lose to get 2nd place to play against NOH" wagon but there is a consolotion prize at all.

Right now Memphis-Oklohoma path is not easier then New Orleans-Dallas path.

That's why there is no need to worry if we get 2nd place.

cheguevara
03-30-2011, 08:28 AM

of course they will.

not only does memphis vs. NO have 2 games face to face

NO has a rough schedule while Memphis not much.

#8 will be NO
#7 will be Memphis

Russ
03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
The Spurs need the No. 1 seed.

No further discussion is warranted.

tuncaboylu
03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
of course they will.

not only does memphis vs. NO have 2 games face to face

NO has a rough schedule while Memphis not much.

#8 will be NO
#7 will be Memphis

Nope.
NOH will play 6 of their remaining 8 games at home. If they win one of the games against Grizllies, they will get the tie-breaker. (Since they win the previous 2 meetings)

That's why, NOH is near to 7th place.

cheguevara
03-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Nope.

Grizz remaining schedule:
Golden State
New Orleans
Minnesota
LA Clippers
Sacramento
New Orleans
Portland
LA Clippers

3 games vs. possible playoff teams

Horenets:
Portland
Memphis
Indiana
Houston
Phoenix
Memphis
Utah
Dallas

6 games vs. possible playoff teams

Agloco
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM

So the trade you're proposing is NOH for MEM, but then having to face BOTH LA and DAL in the second and third rounds?

In other words: MEM - OKC - (LAL or DAL) vs. NOH - (LAL or DAL) - (LAL or DAL)

:lol

Bito Corleone
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
#8 will be NO
#7 will be Memphis

Grizz remaining schedule:
Golden State
New Orleans
Minnesota
LA Clippers
Sacramento
New Orleans
Portland
LA Clippers

3 games vs. possible playoff teams

Horenets:
Portland
Memphis
Indiana
Houston
Phoenix
Memphis
Utah
Dallas

6 games vs. possible playoff teams

Spursnlego
03-30-2011, 06:26 PM

:tu

Andrew Cunanan
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Fuck the 8th seed, whomever it ends up being...Spurs would sweep NOH and probably only need 5-6 to beat MEM. What worries me is the 4th seed, 2nd round matchup. OKC looks fucking scary, and they are nowhere near the same team we faced earlier in the year. They're giving up 10+ less ppg with Perkins in the lineup and rebounding like a mother. OKC scares me more than any team other than the Lakers

Isitjustme?
03-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Oklahoma City scares me more than Dallas...

DMC
03-30-2011, 07:39 PM
I've been to OKC, and I agree.

Thompson
03-30-2011, 08:51 PM
If Memphis wins tonight (currently winning) and New Orleans loses (currently losing), they'll be tied in both the win and loss column. New Orleans holds the tie breaker right now (2-0), but they play two more games against the Grizzlies without David West. I think it's likely that Memphis ends up as the #7 seed and and the Hornets fall to #8.

I'd probably rather face the West-less Hornets followed by the Thunder than face the Grizzlies and Dallas. The Grizzlies might send all our starting lineup back to the injured-reserve list.

alex_tru
03-30-2011, 10:34 PM
and if we are at 2, but Memphis at 7...tragic....

tuncaboylu
03-30-2011, 11:20 PM
After tonight, Portland is in the mix too. They have a though schedule, they will play against OKC, Dallas, Lakers and Memphis. They can be 7th or 8th and I don't want to face them in 1st round.

Sean Cagney
03-30-2011, 11:41 PM
After tonight, Portland is in the mix too. They have a though schedule, they will play against OKC, Dallas, Lakers and Memphis. They can be 7th or 8th and I don't want to face them in 1st round.

I do, we should have beaten them the other night last weekend, and without 4 starters still could have won! I am not scared of them, they are good yes but a 5 or 6 out.

crc21209
03-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Well one thing is for sure, the Spurs 1st round opponent is either going to be Memphis, Portland, or New Orleans. After New Orleans' win tonight over Portland they have moved into the 6th seed since they hold the tie breaker with Portland. Here are the remaining schedule's for each team:

New Orleans (43-32) Currently 6th:

Fri, Apr 1 vsMemphis
Sun, Apr 3 vsIndiana
Wed, Apr 6 vsHouston
Fri, Apr 8 vsPhoenix
Sun, Apr 10 @Memphis
Mon, Apr 11 vsUtah
Wed, Apr 13 @Dallas

Portland (43-32) Currently 7th:

Fri, Apr 1 vsOklahoma City
Sun, Apr 3 vsDallas
Tue, Apr 5 vsGolden State
Thu, Apr 7 @Utah
Fri, Apr 8 vsLos Angeles Lakers
Tue, Apr 12 vsMemphis
Wed, Apr 13 @Golden State

Memphis (42-33) Currently 8th:

Fri, Apr 1 @New Orleans
Sat, Apr 2 vsMinnesota
Tue, Apr 5 vsLos Angeles Clippers
Fri, Apr 8 vsSacramento
Sun, Apr 10 vsNew Orleans
Tue, Apr 12 @Portland
Wed, Apr 13 @Los Angeles Clippers

Man In Black
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
Fuck all that ... let's shoot for #1. Haven't been anything less than #1 all season, so why settle for #2. Memphis has decided to play really physical ball against SA, so it's up to SA to match that intensity and exceed it. They have yet to ever lose a playoff series to Memphis and I don't think they're going to start doing it, despite the recent losses.
For OKC, while it doesn't look to be a favorable matchup, I say screw, let each side field a team and then run their systems and may the best system win.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-31-2011, 05:23 AM
There's no easy route through the playoffs this year. We just need to get healthy and try to win every game we can from here until the trophy and see what happens. The #1 seed gives us an extra edge if we get through and meet the Fakers, who are our greatest adversary, so any thought of tanking is nonsense.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-31-2011, 05:27 AM
Fuck the 8th seed, whomever it ends up being...Spurs would sweep NOH and probably only need 5-6 to beat MEM. What worries me is the 4th seed, 2nd round matchup. OKC looks fucking scary, and they are nowhere near the same team we faced earlier in the year. They're giving up 10+ less ppg with Perkins in the lineup and rebounding like a mother. OKC scares me more than any team other than the Lakers

Oh, and I totally endorse this statement. The Green trade helped them in two ways - it gave them a very much stronger frontcourt whilst also opening up a bigger role for James Harden, who has thrived.

Josepatches_
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
To be honest i prefer to play New Orleans/Dallas than Memphis/Thunders.It's not even close.

But at the end we'll need the HCA against the Fakers.

I'm sure that we'll defeat LA if everybody is healthy and we have HCA.Without HCA it wil be very hard to eliminate them.