PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine O'Neal to return against Spurs

CubanMustGo
03-31-2011, 12:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6276826

SAN ANTONIO -- Boston Celtics (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/bos/boston-celtics) reserve center Jermaine O'Neal (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/615/jermaine-o%27neal) experienced no unusual overnight swelling in his surgically repaired left knee after a hard practice on Wednesday and is ready to return to game action Thursday night against the Spurs.

O'Neal, sidelined since Jan. 12 and limited to 17 games so far this season due to left knee ailments, admitted he had normal soreness after going through a lengthy off-day practice session in San Antonio on Wednesday -- his first since rejoining the team on Monday in Indiana -- and he's excited to get back on the floor with his teammates.

"You're in there banging, the body is going to be a little sore," O'Neal said of his first practice. "But I feel pretty good... I'm just happy to be back. We'll take it day to day, do the maintenance ... and keep [the knee] strong."

Celtics coach Doc Rivers, who initially expressed skepticism on whether O'Neal could get back on the court Thursday, reversed his course after Wednesday's session.

"He looked good and he feels better," said Rivers on Thursday morning. "He had a good day yesterday."

O'Neal said he hadn't discussed a game plan with Rivers as far as minutes but expects them to be low in his first game back, especially on the first night of a back-to-back (Boston travels to Atlanta on Friday). O'Neal did say that, if the knee feels good, he's not against playing extended minutes, but he will let the body (and coaching staff) dictate that.

Rivers thinks just having O'Neal back in uniform will give his team a spark.
"I think getting any guy back helps," said Rivers. "Especially a guy with size, that always helps. And I think it helps guys mentally."

In other injury news, Von Wafer (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2793/von-wafer), sidelined since March 4 with a sprained right calf, went through a full practice session Wednesday and could also be back on the floor as early as Thursday's game.

"He's close," said Rivers. "He may even dress tonight."

hater
03-31-2011, 12:21 PM
NBA = fucked

admiralsnackbar
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
NBA = fucked

:lol

Cane
03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
O'Neal with it

Muser
03-31-2011, 12:43 PM
That would just make a Spurs victory easier.

jeebus
03-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Cool, a guy who hasn't been relevant in 4 years will play.

baseline bum
03-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Nice, the Celtics just got their Bonner back.

LnGrrrR
03-31-2011, 01:04 PM

*smh*

Sad but true.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-31-2011, 01:07 PM
O'Neal with it.

I see someone beat me to it but I had already thought it in my head before I saw the other post so I feel justified posting it again.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-31-2011, 01:08 PM

The problem is that their Bonner is better than our Splitter.

Rummpd
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM

BS JO had great athletic ability for several years on both sides of the ball but never reached his potential; and was criticized even before he got hurt for up and down play and a low basketball IQ - Splitter when given a chance is a helluva lot better than JO over at least the last three years and has a lot higher upside going forward and seems to a lot higher inate knowledge of the game. He may not have JO's former leaping ablity but bring other things to the table - to equate Bonner to Splitter is also off course - Pop has not played Splitter who is the exact opposite of Bonner as far as where he posts up and Splitter already a much better defender.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-31-2011, 01:53 PM
BS JO had great athletic ability for several years on both sides of the ball but never reached his potential; and was criticized even before he got hurt for up and down play and a low basketball IQ - Splitter when given a chance is a helluva lot better than JO over at least the last three years and has a lot higher upside going forward and seems to a lot higher inate knowledge of the game. He may not have JO's former leaping ablity but bring other things to the table - to equate Bonner to Splitter is also off course - Pop has not played Splitter who is the exact opposite of Bonner as far as where he posts up and Splitter already a much better defender.

Settle down Magoo. I was making a funny. I would take Splitter over O'Neal today. I've beat up on Tiago all season but the last couple of weeks have been encouraging.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2011, 02:11 PM

If Splitter's on the Cetlics, he's starting and in the conversation for the best big on the team.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Does anyone know the status of Von Wafer for tonight's game?
I'm thiking of placing a wager.

baseline bum
03-31-2011, 03:03 PM

Huh? Jermaine O'Neal's playoff performance of late makes Bonner look like Reggie Miller. Even Udoka never looked as bad as O'Neal did in the Boston series last year.

8FOR!3
03-31-2011, 03:55 PM

This. I'd be more worried if they said Ricky Davis to return against Spurs. :lol

wontstartdumbthreads
03-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Huh? Jermaine O'Neal's playoff performance of late makes Bonner look like Reggie Miller. Even Udoka never looked as bad as O'Neal did in the Boston series last year.

Uh, I was trying to take focus off my "joke" by bringing up Von Wafer. Any thoughts on if he will return tonight? Von Wafer.

Isitjustme?
03-31-2011, 04:07 PM

When O'Neal is healthy he is actually a very good defensive player, who can both block shots and take charges. Definitely no Bonner.

PDXSpursFan
03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Celts expect a blowout win tonight so there will be plenty of PT for JO.

Libri
03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Uh, I was trying to take focus off my "joke" by bringing up Von Wafer. Any thoughts on if he will return tonight? Von Wafer.

He practiced Wednesday but there is no word on his availability for tonight's game.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
He practiced Wednesday but there is no word on his availability for tonight's game.

Thanks. Judging by the line, it looks like Vegas is assuming he won't play.

Budkin
03-31-2011, 05:13 PM
O noes!1!11!

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Jermaine is one of the worst players in the NBA, at this point..

If the Spurs frontcourt allows him to have a decent game, I will be embarrassed to be a Spurs fan, tbh..

easy7
03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!!! :hat