PDA

View Full Version : Pop has shutdown the team for the season

cheguevara
03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
And it happened last Monday March 28. No spur fan should expect anything anymore until the playoffs start.

Please predict the record for these remaining 8 games in shutdown mode. I say we going 4-4.

It is time to recover the bodies, tinker the lineup and get ready for the real season.

so stop bitching if Spurs keep losing. Pop has officially SHUT DOWN.

:flag:

spursince#99
03-31-2011, 02:59 PM
dude we're going 6-2 so STFU...

wontstartdumbthreads
03-31-2011, 03:00 PM
dude we're going 6-2 so STFU...

You are the worstest poster ever.

spursince#99
03-31-2011, 03:02 PM
You are the worstest poster ever.awww...i missed you dude...or woman...whatever you are...just made my prediction on a stupid thread...

Giuseppe
03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Once Duncan got legimately injured Popovich went nuts. Everything since then has been calculated & phony.

Pop is afraid. That's always been his MO.

cheguevara
03-31-2011, 03:21 PM
once duncan got legimately injured popovich went nuts. Everything since then has been calculated & phony.

Pop is afraid. That's always been his mo.

cia pop

Obstructed_View
03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Once Duncan got legimately injured Popovich went nuts. Everything since then has been calculated & phony.

Pop is afraid. That's always been his MO.

Pop's coached out of fear his entire career. That's why the Spurs have outright quit in the playoffs several times when faced with adversity. He also hates being the favorite, so the idea of leting the Lakers take the first spot isn't ridiculous, because it gives him an excuse if the Spurs don't win.

The Truth #6
03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
OV,

I basically agree with the coaching out of fear idea. I'd say he's cynical and can't handle mistakes so he tries to micromanage everything, though he's gotten better about that to some degree, granted, a small degree. He's obsessed with details, but at the expense of intuition and creativity.

I'm not sure if he's consciously trying to give himself any excuses, but I agree that he doesn't like being the favorite because that doesn't fit his personality.

Giuseppe
03-31-2011, 04:35 PM
^Good stuff, Obs & Truth.

Budkin
03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
^Good stuff, Obs & Truth.

Agreed. I've always thought this about Pop.

dunkman
03-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Pop will go for the NBA best record, but will rest the players as much as possible. Right now that means another 2 lost games allowed.

However, it's difficult to say losing 4 close games was part of the plan.

Muser
03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Pop's coached out of fear his entire career. That's why the Spurs have outright quit in the playoffs several times when faced with adversity. He also hates being the favorite, so the idea of leting the Lakers take the first spot isn't ridiculous, because it gives him an excuse if the Spurs don't win.

Sadly this is true, as great as Pop is he's like Bonner. When he's faced with true adversity most of the time he will quit.

Chomag
03-31-2011, 06:08 PM
A championship caliber team should play to win, I don't buy this tanking for the second seed as being strategy.

If Spurs think they are good enough to get the title then it should not matter who or where they play.

easy7
03-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Tonight, long stick goes boom!!!! :hat

ManuBalboa
03-31-2011, 06:35 PM
RC said the playoffs begin tonight.

Capt Bringdown
03-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Sadly this is true, as great as Pop is he's like Bonner. When he's faced with true adversity most of the time he will quit.

Watch u talkin' about, Willis? When it comes weak-sauce gimmicks such as abandoning Spursball in favor of smallball, Blair as an NBA starter and Matt Bonner spreading the floor, Pop is a fearless raging tiger.

When faced with adversity, Pop pounds the rock, which will only take you so far - sometimes you gotta play jazz.

4>0rings
03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Coach Pop is straight bitch made. Flies the white flag more than France.

SenorSpur
03-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Pop is shotgunning his teams chances for a deep playoff run. Maybe he's not desparate, but he should consider trying some different combinations.

Homeland Security
03-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Pop hasn't shut anything down. The Spurs played with a lot of intensity from the get-go this year because they didn't like the feeling of sweating to make the playoffs last year. But this ending underscores why sometimes teams struggle to take the regular season as seriously as they could. All the accomplishments from November through February don't mean anything when all the other teams dial up the intensity for the stretch run and we see that the Spurs just aren't as good as the league's very best. Teams win championships with defense and rebounding, not with offense. The Spurs spent the better part of the aughts driving that home. Now teams that can defend and rebound are their masters.