PDA

View Full Version : who's for Blair starting again?

Creation88
03-31-2011, 10:43 PM
ever since Pop went with Dyess in the starting line up this team has struggled and it's struggled primarily because Dejuan CANNOT play on the 2nd team with Hill and Bonner.

the trio of Bonner/Hill/Blair kills every ounce of momentum this team builds up in the 1st qtr. to top Dyess has not been a "spark" in the 1st qtr that he was in the 2nd.

Blair is such an odd player that I thought I was better for him to start and have the starters "carry" him and let him fill in the gaps. He can't do that effectively on the court when Bonner and him are the "bigs."

mexicanjunior
03-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Would rather start Splitter, with Blair/Mcdyess off the bench...

DontStopBelieving
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM

This.

200 miles
03-31-2011, 10:46 PM

yup

Mugen
03-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Because if Pop did that, then he'd be admitting that sitting him in the first place and playing him w/Bonner was a mistake.

And Pop is too proud to do that.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-31-2011, 10:47 PM
I would rather start Blair. If he is man enough to accept sitting his ass on the bench at the end of games so we can go big, with a Splitter/Dice/Duncan frontcourt.

No question Blair's production has decreased since going to the bench.

We know this.

Xevious
Agreed that it killed team chemistry when Blair went to the bench. Duncan was able to cover Blair's shortcomings just as McDyess could cover for Bonner. Blair and Bonner on the court the court together is a game killer.

Cant_Be_Faded
I would rather start Blair. If he is man enough to accept sitting his ass on the bench at the end of games so we can go big, with a Splitter/Dice/Duncan frontcourt.

No question Blair's production has decreased since going to the bench.

We know this.

ElNono
03-31-2011, 10:48 PM
I still remember Pop saying he was starting Blair because of the advanced stats people pointing out to him that the combo of Duncan/Blair was really productive... which if you go by early in the season, it somewhat was... I guess Pop is not a numbers guy...

toki9
03-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Dyess prefers to come off the bench (as he said in the past)...and playing Bonner and Blair together is a disaster because Bonner gets no room to shoot since his man can stay home due to lack of inside offense by Blair (which also applies to Hill--so most of his points will have to come from penetration)...and there's no interior D

DMC
03-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Blair went to the bench because he was getting his ass handed to him by the other starting bigs. He's still making rookie mistakes, still slapping at arms and hands and getting cheap fouls. He does great things at times but he's not really starter material. I would put Splitter there any day over Blair to start.

What's happened recently is that other teams have gotten healthy and have gotten into playoff mode, about the time we got unhealthy and went into Bonner/RJ mode.

itzsoweezee
03-31-2011, 10:51 PM
I think Blair and Splitter could work well too. Bonner simply needs to be removed from the rotation.

itzsoweezee
03-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Pop's not going to start Splitter b/c he simply does not know the system very well.

toki9
03-31-2011, 10:53 PM
I think not starting has also affected Blair's approach...I think starting means a lot to him...Starting Blair for the first 6 minutes and then brining Splitter as the first big for the next 9 minutes or so might be workable as well...then you juggle Duncan/Dyess with Bonner...

toki9
03-31-2011, 10:55 PM
No matter what happens this season, Blair has to get a credible mid-range jumper...

DontStopBelieving
03-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Pop's not going to start Splitter b/c he simply does not know the system very well.

He doesn't know how to brick 3s very well tbh, doesn't fit the system.:(

TheGoat21
03-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Duncan and Dice should start.

This allows Pop to make either Bonner or Blair the third big depending on matchups while keeping atleast one of Duncan Dice in the game once the playoffs begin.

If you start Duncan Blair you pretty much have to make Dice your third big.

Lakers
Startes Gasol/Bynum Duncan/Dice
1st big Odom Bonner

Dallas
Starters Nowi/Chand Duncan/Dice
1st big Haywood Blair

DMC
03-31-2011, 11:16 PM
lol @ Odom/Bonner

Anyone/Bonner is disaster.

toki9
03-31-2011, 11:19 PM

This allows Pop to make either Bonner or Blair the third big depending on matchups while keeping atleast one of Duncan Dice in the game once the playoffs begin.

Lakers
1st big Odom Bonner

Dallas
1st big Haywood Blair

So, no Splitter?

cherylsteele
03-31-2011, 11:58 PM

Lakers
1st big Odom Bonner

Dallas
1st big Haywood Blair
Bonner the 3rd big, god that is such an inane statement, That is what he is now and it is clearly not working, Bonner needs to be the 13th big.

If Splitter is not starting, he needs to be the big off the bench.

cherylsteele
03-31-2011, 11:59 PM
lol @ Odom/Bonner

Anyone/Bonner is disaster.
Yup, pretty much.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I think you don't tinker with what isn't broken, and the Spurs did pretty well with Blair starting. Pull him early if the matchups aren't working, but don't rob his confidence. Now we've got three big men lacking in the confidence department in Blair, Splitter and Bonner.

DMC
04-01-2011, 12:43 AM
I think you don't tinker with what isn't broken, and the Spurs did pretty well with Blair starting. Pull him early if the matchups aren't working, but don't rob his confidence. Now we've got three big men lacking in the confidence department in Blair, Splitter and Bonner.

You cannot start everyone. If going to the bench kills Blair's drive, what good was he anyhow? Manu came off the bench for years. Blair isn't Griffin.

However, at this point it makes no difference, so if it would give Blair some confidence, it might be a good move.

SouthTexasRancher
04-01-2011, 12:51 AM
ever since Pop went with Dyess in the starting line up this team has struggled and it's struggled primarily because Dejuan CANNOT play on the 2nd team with Hill and Bonner.

the trio of Bonner/Hill/Blair kills every ounce of momentum this team builds up in the 1st qtr. to top Dyess has not been a "spark" in the 1st qtr that he was in the 2nd.

Blair is such an odd player that I thought I was better for him to start and have the starters "carry" him and let him fill in the gaps. He can't do that effectively on the court when Bonner and him are the "bigs."

:toast ... Pop is too damn hardheaded to admit he has screwed this thing up!

TheGoat21
04-01-2011, 03:22 AM
To play Duncan/Splitter, Gasol/Bynum, Garnett/O'neal you need guards who are at their best playing on the outside (Kobe, Allen, Pierce).
Parker & Ginobili are their best slashing and scoring in the paint.

Pop believes the added defense of Splitter over Bonner isn't greater than the loss of Parker & Ginobili's offense.

Duncan/Splitter isn't going to happen till Splitter gets a jump shot. One of Duncan/Splitter has to spread the floor and you don't take your best big man away from the hoop.

Fireball
04-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Duncan/Splitter isn't going to happen till Splitter gets a jump shot. One of Duncan/Splitter has to spread the floor and you don't take your best big man away from the hoop.

if Duncan can play successfully with Blair all season, then he should be able to play with Splitter - its Duncan who has the 20 feet jump shot

Slippy
04-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Dice is lacking energy. Not doubt he gives it his all but legs are failing him. By the time 4th rolls around Dice is cooked. Spurs would be better off with him playing limited mins.

Blair's impact has been missed. Did give us that x-factor from inside. Was never in favour of the change but since pop is open to them. He needs to try another one. Atleast with the mins and rotations.

Cessation
04-01-2011, 06:36 AM
I agree, blair in the starting lineup was much better. This bonner/blair combo is horrible. Dice will produce regardless, while blair needs that extra energy he gets from starting.

Stringer_Bell
04-01-2011, 06:50 AM
I never thought this season would turn into feeling like an experiment late in the season. We play 50 games of great basketball, then Pop changes shit and we start collapsing and getting injured. It's awful.

Cessation
04-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Its still a descent season, making it to the wcf is a legit possibility, beating the lakers? Not so much.

Strategic
04-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Maybe this is a better idea. Send Blair and Bonner to Austin and when the season is over try to get our money back on both of these boys. For next year put Richards and Butler on the roster. Let's quit trying to help Duncan get another ring and start using him to help the team advance for the future, and maybe they will get another ring while he's still playing! I don't care if Richards only gets 3 to 5 minutes a game next year, Playing and talking to Timmy is his best experience. Don't send this boy to Austin!!

Spurs Brazil
04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Blair can only play with 2 guys: Dice and TD. Blair still makes a lot of mistakes on D and the more he does the more he forces on O and then he become a disaster. This is happening a lot now he’s paired with Bonner.

Rummpd
04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Start Splitter. The answer is so obvious, bring Blair into spell either Duncan or Splitter and save Dice for the end of the game.

Last night seeing Bonner fail at Garnett as he played horse was the last straw and Blair was little better bricking layups again or dunks. Splitter did too last night but 5-6 games he has been more productive than any big has this year on the Spurs not named Duncan taking away Bonner's erratic threes. Pop will probably start Bonner soon and then a brick goes into the screen and I am done watching that "brilliant" guy ruin this team.

Creation88
04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
it is completely clear tonight that taking away Dyess from the the 2nd team is killing this team on both ends in the 2nd qtr yet adding very little to the 1st. keep Blair in the starting rotation!

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Maybe this is a better idea. Send Blair and Bonner to Austin and when the season is over try to get our money back on both of these boys. For next year put Richards and Butler on the roster. Let's quit trying to help Duncan get another ring and start using him to help the team advance for the future, and maybe they will get another ring while he's still playing! I don't care if Richards only gets 3 to 5 minutes a game next year, Playing and talking to Timmy is his best experience. Don't send this boy to Austin!!
I think that violates the rules (sending Bonner and Blair to D league).

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Start Splitter. The answer is so obvious, bring Blair into spell either Duncan or Splitter and save Dice for the end of the game.

Last night seeing Bonner fail at Garnett as he played horse was the last straw and Blair was little better bricking layups again or dunks. Splitter did too last night but 5-6 games he has been more productive than any big has this year on the Spurs not named Duncan taking away Bonner's erratic threes. Pop will probably start Bonner soon and then a brick goes into the screen and I am done watching that "brilliant" guy ruin this team.
I am not against starting Splitter, but he's a huge liability late in games because he cannot shoot FTs worth a damn, so they would intentionally send him to the line.

Chomag
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I am not against starting Splitter, but he's a huge liability late in games because he cannot shoot FTs worth a damn, so they would intentionally send him to the line.

TBH, Pop is the only coach that I have even seen employ this strategy since old the hack-a-shaq days.

I honestly havn't watcherd every game of every team though so I'm not 100% sure

duncan228
04-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Blair continues to toggle with Tiago in a reserve role (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/05/blair-continues-to-toggle-with-tiago-in-a-reserve-role/)
Jeff McDonald

One game after not playing at all in the first half, DeJuan Blair was back as the Spurs’ second-unit center in Tuesday’s 97-90 victory over Atlanta.

Rookie Tiago Splitter was back to taking a DNP-CD.

Blair responded with a performance that was solid, but not spectacular, logging seven points and five rebounds in 13:06.

“My role is just to be ready at all times,” Blair said. “Because you never know.”

Keep reading... (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/05/blair-continues-to-toggle-with-tiago-in-a-reserve-role/)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/05/blair-continues-to-toggle-with-tiago-in-a-reserve-role/

toki9
04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
I'd prefer Splitter/Duncan to start, with any other combination of bigs that eliminates Bonner/Blair to sub.

But i think you can also get away with starting Duncan/Blair as long as Blair's minutes are kept short, and sub in quickly with Splitter and Dyess. Splitter has to give about 20-25 productive minutes for the Spurs to have a shot.

toki9
04-05-2011, 11:24 PM

I think the inability to shoot FT at the end is a little overblown. It's a liability, but the bottom line is that it still counts as a foul for the other team. And depending on who's doing the fouling (Say a big), it might even benefit the Spurs for the defender to pile up fouls.

Also, because of the Shaq rules, it's difficult to foul intentionally away from the ball towards the end. Splitter will be in there for defensive purposes, and isn't likely to get too many touches on the offensive end.

Again, Splitter's inability to hit FT is a liability, but it might not be all that big a liability.

DMC
04-06-2011, 01:26 AM
TBH, Pop is the only coach that I have even seen employ this strategy since old the hack-a-shaq days.

I honestly havn't watcherd every game of every team though so I'm not 100% sure

Mike D did it with Bruce Bowen (and lost). I'm not saying it would happen, but in Pop's world that could be a big factor. How's Tiago's physical conditioning? Can he handle the up tempo game for extended minutes?

DMC
04-06-2011, 01:31 AM
I think the inability to shoot FT at the end is a little overblown. It's a liability, but the bottom line is that it still counts as a foul for the other team. And depending on who's doing the fouling (Say a big), it might even benefit the Spurs for the defender to pile up fouls.

I think any team in the league would trade a foul for a possession, so poor FT shooting is a liability can has been exploited with bigs for quite some time.

Also, because of the Shaq rules, it's difficult to foul intentionally away from the ball towards the end. Splitter will be in there for defensive purposes, and isn't likely to get too many touches on the offensive end.

He doesn't have to have the ball if it's not in the final 2 minutes of the game. Am I wrong?

Again, Splitter's inability to hit FT is a liability, but it might not be all that big a liability.
It is a liability, but if he were a Ben Wallace (2004 version), that wouldn't be a big deal. He's not. He has no outside shot, just that weird hook. He is a decent defender, but he keeps his hands down and is rushed to get them up before the shot. That allow the shooter to get open looks.

I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.

Mel_13
04-06-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm not sure I understand the discussion of Tiago's liabilities in end of game situations. Even the most enthusiastic Tiago supporters must realize that Duncan and Dice will be in the closing line-up.

Replacing Blair with Splitter as Tim's backup seems to be such an obvious move. What advantages does Blair have over Splitter in that role? Offensive rebounding, ok. What else?

toki9
04-06-2011, 01:52 AM
I think any team in the league would trade a foul for a possession, so poor FT shooting is a liability can has been exploited with bigs for quite some time.

He doesn't have to have the ball if it's not in the final 2 minutes of the game. Am I wrong?

It is a liability, but if he were a Ben Wallace (2004 version), that wouldn't be a big deal. He's not. He has no outside shot, just that weird hook. He is a decent defender, but he keeps his hands down and is rushed to get them up before the shot. That allow the shooter to get open looks.

I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.

Those are all good and valid points--and I agree that his poor FT shooting is a liability. I'm just saying that in doing cost-benefit analysis of leaving Tiago in there towards the end, the cost side might not be as extreme (or clear cut) as some here seem to fear. (And I believe you're right about the intentional foul rule--but that's why I said it'd be hard to intentionally foul him towards the end of the game; I was talking about the last 2-minutes.)

But all this is really moot, since Tiago isn't even seeing the floor, let alone closing out games. The worry about FT might be a bigger factor if Tiago isn't closing out games, but it probably doesn't figure into that heavily when he can't even get in at the front or middle part of the game.

Pop's not playing him for a whole variety of reasons--reasons we can only speculate about.

mystargtr34
04-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Im more for Blair not being in the rotation.

Spurs Brazil
04-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Since Blair went to the bench he's forcing things and committing a lot of mistakes on defense. Even Blair said he still needs to adjust. There’s no time to adjust now, the playoffs are there.

Replace Tiago with Blair is the logical move. Blair is a hard working kid but at the moment the best for the team is he on the bench getting no minutes