PDA

View Full Version : I wonder... Does being a swimmer make TD better?

RobinsontoDuncan
06-04-2005, 08:51 PM
He doesn't have a "basketball physique" per say, but he does look like a swimmer to me. I wonder if there are traits that swimmer have that would carry over well to basketball.

To be honest, I don't really know that much about competitive swimming, but i would be curious if any one who does could come up with some ideas.

anyway, here is my long Spurs layoff=slight twinge of boredom thread.

ididnotnothat
06-04-2005, 08:52 PM
You would think his swimming would help him with his shooting stroke.

N.Y. Johnny
06-04-2005, 08:54 PM
I would imagine the Swimming would be good for stamina. I dunno? :wtf

Dre_7
06-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Stamina and strength. Anyone here ever done competitive swimming??? It is one of the toughest things to do. Its hard work!!!

I know that Tim's swimming past has really helped make him the player he is today. No doubt in my mind.

E20
06-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I dunno. But, in Rocky III, Apollo made Rocky swim in his training for the rematch against Clubber Lang and Pauly asked Apollo why is he making Rocky swim and Apollo said He want's Rocky to discover muscles he's never used before in his arms,legs and I guess you're upper parts of the stomach.

Brutalis
06-04-2005, 09:01 PM
It does. His game and his signature moves are so fluent and smooth. As if he was doing it underwater. Hahahah.

Dre_7
06-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I dunno. But, in Rocky III, Apollo made Rocky swim in his training for the rematch against Clubber Lang and Pauly asked Apollo why is he making Rocky swim and Apollo said He want's Rocky to discover muscles he's never used before in his arms,legs and I guess you're upper parts of the stomach.

Yeah, you do use alota muscles. Doesnt make you huge, but helps to build muscle strength.

Forgot about that scene in Rocky.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-04-2005, 09:17 PM
In the early stages of your life, each sport helps you to build coordination and reaction of different parts of your body, thus helping to build stamina in others.

From what I know, swimming helps the coordination of feet, hands and arms, and builds a stronger back and torso.

Clandestino
06-04-2005, 09:56 PM
he pees in the whirlpool...

Timoha
06-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Tim would get it if hte Spurs win. Even if Manu's numbers are better, TIm would get it for reputation ad nbecause Tim just makes a more of an impat, and if he doesn't score more points, he's definatly more of a defensve threat then Manu (though Manu's a great defender.)

MI21
06-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I'd say the only thing that Duncan has over Chris Webber would be his ability to swim very well.

xcoriate
06-05-2005, 12:14 AM
^ Rack

Tim doesn't really have a swimmers physique either. Olympic class swimmers normally are perfect specimens and not in a gay way have perfect bodies. ie seeming perfect muscle/bone structure.

conversekid
06-05-2005, 12:18 AM
I'd say the only thing that Duncan has over Chris Webber would be his ability to swim very well.

What?

Duncan is better on the block; Duncan can post, while Webber mainly has the midrange jumper. Duncan slides his feet better on defense, better lateral or side to side movement when he's staying in front of his man. Duncan defends the post better, by pushing the opponent off the block, and when he can't get him off the block, Duncan does a great job of forcing him to the baseline, greatly diminishing his angle. Duncan keeps his feet better when a man is under the basket pump faking. Duncan does the pick n roll better. Duncan has a better bank shot. Duncan makes his team better. Duncan has 2 MVP's. Duncan has 2 NBA titles. Duncan has 2 NBA Finals MVP's.

How can you say the only thing Duncan has over Webber is his ability to swim?

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 12:19 AM
What?

Duncan is better on the block; Duncan can post, while Webber mainly has the midrange jumper. Duncan slides his feet better on defense, better lateral or side to side movement when he's staying in front of his man. Duncan defends the post better, by pushing the opponent off the block, and when he can't get him off the block, Duncan does a great job of forcing him to the baseline, greatly diminishing his angle. Duncan keeps his feet better when a man is under the basket pump faking. Duncan does the pick n roll better. Duncan has a better bank shot. Duncan makes his team better. Duncan has 2 MVP's. Duncan has to NBA titles. Duncan has 2 NBA Finals MVP's.

How can you say the only thing Duncan has over Webber is his ability to swim?

Refer to this thread to get the joke ...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16096&highlight=chris+webber+duncan

Sense
06-05-2005, 12:54 AM
I think being something that everyone in the NBA never did is a plus...

So if Tim Duncan is that good right now, that means it helped him.

Slomo
06-05-2005, 01:55 AM
My best friend in high school was a member of our national bycicle team and I remember how they were prohibited to run/jog but had to swim to build up stamina. Something about running and swimming developing different "types" of muscles. Running muscles=hard, swimming muscle=elastic. Maybe somebody with some medical knowledge could confirm/deny this.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 06:55 AM
That's interesting, just somethign i was curious about. Thanks for all of your responses.