PDA

View Full Version : Let's pretend for a second

ogait
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
... that Tiago Splitter would get playing time as a true rotation player. I'm sure that crazy idea has crossed Pop's mind at some point, but how would you actually do it to make it work.

There's no doubt in my mind, and many others on Spurstalk, that Tiago is the second best big on the team from a pure basketball ability perspective. This does not takes into account any other aspect as NBA experience, fitting the system or anything else you may thing of. It just means that if you're starting a pick up game choosing the best players for your team you would go with Duncan then Splitter, Blair, Dice, and finally Bonner.

So many here believe he should be in the rotation, but then I see things like " He could start or come off the bench", "Just take Bonner minutes away" or "He sucks but he's 5 inches taller than Blair", I would like to know basketball wise how the team should play him.

So here are a few scenarios, choose one or add any alternative plausible options:

Option A: He starts next to Duncan.

On this case he would probably play the first 4 or 5 maximum 6 minutes before being substituted by either Dice or Bonner depending on how the team/opponent is doing.
Starting with the big 3 would boost his confidence, it would also set the team defensively instead of those high scoring first quarters where the Spurs frequently shoot a very high percentage that usually doesn't hold through the rest of the game, while the defence maintains his consistent suckyness per 48 minutes.
Splitter job would be taking care of the boards, and match up with opposing team best big. It would also allow Dice to come from the bench, a job that he has done well this season and most of his career, witch would save Duncan from having to do many 1 on 1 post defence early on the games that wears him down and affects his much needed offence.
If they had Duncan of 3/4 year ago this would be the obvious option, and we could see Splitter as an upgraded Oberto version, but right now it's very hard to see that happening as the Spurs offence depends too much on Parker and Ginobili penetration. Spacing would be a problem for offence, particularly for TP who does most of his damage at the start of games attacking the paint.. This option would also mean that Blair would be the odd man out of the rotation, witch seems kind of weird considering he started most of the season.

Option B: Backing up Duncan's minutes.

On the playoffs with Duncan's minutes somewhere between 35 and 40, it would leave Tiago with a small amount of playing time (around 10-12 minutes) at the end of the 1st and beginning of 2nd, and maybe at the start of the 4th. Ideally Pop would match Tiago's minutes with the time Manu is usually playing with the reserves and they could run some pick n roll offence between the 2, with Bonner or Dice as the other bigs .
Blair's role would again be very diminished, but realistically you can't have more than a 4 big rotation.

Option C: taking Bonner's minutes.

I included this option even though I don't think it has anychance of happening, although it may be highly popular among Spurstalk because of Bonners past playoff performances. On this scenario you would have Duncan/Dice being backed up by Splitter/Blair. Bonner is a good guy to have in the game when someone on the team is hot, the opposing defence has to commit to said player and Bonner can have a lot of easy shots. Never have him in on the floor when the game is on the line.

Option D: Common sense.

I called this the common sense option, because frankly the previous ones should've been tried during the regular season for extended periods of time to have a chance of success.
Basically this would mean the Spurs kept their normal rotation but Pop would stop being stubborn and would let Tiago know that he's ready to call his name at any time. This would mean for instance that if you're the playing against the Lakers you wouldn't let undersized Blair on Gasol for extended periods of time. Or when Bonner can't buy a basket and he's being abused by a stretch 4 like Green last night, or a Lamar Odom, or a powerful PF like Zach Randolph he would give Splitter a go, commit the team to play some D and rebound, and wait for the offence to eventually come, ideally before being down by 10 or more like last night.

yavozerb
04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
He didnt play like it last night...

wontstartdumbthreads
04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
I don't know why Splitter can't just work on his three point shot and then take Bonner's place. He should be a natural three point shooter. His height advantage over Bonner means that he is shooting the ball closer to the rim. If Splitter stands just outside the arc and leans in, I bet he is probably releasing the ball a foot closer to the basket than Matt Bonner. Plus he's better at interior defense.

TwelveGs210
04-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Your crazy..

McDyess is clearly the second best big. He has a toughness to him in the paint and although he is undersized, doesnt get pushed around in the paint. He puts his hands up when playing defense, he rebounds at a better rate, he is far more active around the rim, more experienced within the system, and makes the switch when he is supposed to. We lost the Portland game on Splitter's non reaction to Batum's cut to the basket. Splitter stood there dumbfounded while Batum won the game. Not to mention he has a decent mid range jumper, and makes his free throws. Has Splitter even made ONE JUMPER this season???

ogait
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Your crazy..

McDyess is clearly the second best big. He has a toughness to him in the paint and although he is undersized, doesnt get pushed around in the paint. He puts his hands up when playing defense, he rebounds at a better rate, he is far more active around the rim, more experienced within the system, and makes the switch when he is supposed to. We lost the Portland game on Splitter's non reaction to Batum's cut to the basket. Splitter stood there dumbfounded while Batum won the game. Not to mention he has a decent mid range jumper, and makes his free throws. Has Splitter even made ONE JUMPER this season???

I said Splitter was the second best big on the team in terms of raw basketball ability. That means athleticism, fundamentals, skill, passing ability, etc. I clearly said experience, fitting the system, etc was not taken into account.
It's obvious that Dice is the second most effective big on the team, no one is disputing that.

The question at hand was. With so many people claiming more playing tme for Spiltter how do you actually play him?

TwelveGs210
04-01-2011, 10:07 AM
This isn't his year.. I would have loved to see him contribute this year, but his early season injury really hurt his chances..

He needs to spend the summer in the weight room, get a shooting clinic from Chip, and consult Tim and maybe even David for advice on being a big man in the NBA.

Fireball
04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
He didnt play like it last night...

He played 4 minutes ... in that 4 minutes he had one defensive mistake and missed a contested layup ... but he had 2 rebounds. Indeed, not good.

But most important: Do you really judge a basketball player by what he does in 4 minutes? Tiago played all solid games when he had 20+ minutes ...

cherylsteele
04-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Your crazy..

Fabs couldn't really shoot outside the charge circle yet he did pretty well.
The Spurs lost to Portland for other reasons.

GrandeDavid
04-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see Splitter start next to Duncan.

Obstructed_View
04-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Your crazy..

Hi, Pop.

DesignatedT
04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Dice > Splitter. Don't get ridiculous.

Splitter should get Bonners minutes against Bigger frontline teams and get Blairs minutes against teams that don't pose that threat.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-01-2011, 01:51 PM
If I'm going to be doing any pretending after that game it's going to be about stuff that will make me feel a whole lot better than the Spurs big man rotation. Like if instead of Bonner, Tiago, and Blair the Spurs roster included a really hot redhead chick with big boobs, a really hot blonde chick with big boobs, and a really hot black chick with big boobs. Oh no, it's a loose ball on the floor! They're all diving for it! Now all three are tangled up, writhing in a pile on the ground. Looks like the blonde's jersey got ripped off in the action. Ooops, and the two other's as well. Pop's looking upset over the lack of teamwork, but they seem to be happy. Like, REALLY happy.

I'll be in my bunk...

Man In Black
04-01-2011, 02:00 PM
With as bad as RJ's been playing, maybe Pop should go Triple-Towers and start Duncan, Splitter, and Blair. Okay... the spacing sucks offensively, but that's right there is The Wall of The Americas. Add McDyess off then bench and then Bonner only sees the court the same way Kerr did...when a 3 point shot is needed.

TwelveGs210
04-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Fabs couldn't really shoot outside the charge circle yet he did pretty well.
The Spurs lost to Portland for other reasons.

He did well because he had Argentinian savvy for one thing, he was a crafty low post passer, and he was given the oppurtunity to mesh with Duncan.

Yes there was plenty of reasons why we lost that game in Portland, there was a huge Manu turnover, there was ALMOST a 6 man on floor technical we avoided, but the icing on the cake was watching that long necked goofy bastard look like he was nailed to the floor as Batum soared in for the half court lob/layup.