PDA

View Full Version : In defense of a strong regular season

EVAY
04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
During this time of wailing and gnashing of teeth about what we should be doing and 'what has gone wrong', I would just like to say to the Spurs organization and the the team members:

Thank you so very, very much for giving your fans one of the most exciting regular seasons any sports team has ever enjoyed.

For many years I have heard the sports world regard the post-season as the 'real' season, and I understand that many of you have your bonuses tied to how far your team progresses after the regular season.

But for most of your regular fans, it is the season from November 1 through mid-April that focuses us and carries us. The 82 game regular season is the time that most regular fans get to know the team members, learn who the players are and fall in and out of love with rookies and veterans alike.

The regular season is the best chance for the most fans to get to see you.
You have made this a very special season for us. Thank you.

Sincerely,
A former season ticket holder and current never-miss-a-game-on-tv watcher.

mexicanjunior
04-02-2011, 12:14 AM
You have made this a very special season for us. Thank you.

Special in that we are first hand witnesses to the biggest late season collapse in NBA history...this is stuff of legend.

NRHector
04-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Special in that we are first hand witnesses to the biggest late season collapse in NBA history...this is stuff of legend.:lol

mexicanjunior
04-02-2011, 12:22 AM
This season will end up being on one of those 30 for 30 specials on ESPN with them investigating how a team could choke such a huge lead away...

Capt Bringdown
04-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Spurs seem to limit themselves. The big goal was to get HCA, and that was placed over and above developing Splitter. "He's not ready, He missed training camp, etc" became self-fulfilling negative prophecies. Stinkin' thinkin' that lead to unnecessary trade offs.

The big goal should have been HCA AND working Splitter into the fold. I don't necessarily think that Splitter is a savior, but he gives us more options and makes us more sound defensively. At the very least, we should have tried. There's no downside to trying.

So yeah, thanks for the effort but you didn't really set your sites high enough. We won't see the likes of Duncan again EVER. You play every card ya you got, and you don't hold nothing back - but that's not what the Spurs did this year, which is kinda tragic.

TampaDude
04-02-2011, 04:45 AM
Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are, "it might have been."

cherylsteele
04-02-2011, 05:18 AM
This season will end up being on one of those 30 for 30 specials on ESPN with them investigating how a team could choke such a huge lead away...
Or Chazley would say
5 reasons it is not Matt Bonner's fault.

Isn't there a 5 reasons show on ESPN?