PDA

View Full Version : Why does Bonner get more minutes that Splitter?

dallasmaverickslose
04-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Simple question. Give me a simple answer. I want to figure this once and for all.

Libri
04-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Pop: "It wouldn't be fair to Tiago or the team."

Ditty
04-01-2011, 10:25 PM
if we knew no one would be bitching

mexicanjunior
04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Pop likes Bonner's cock in his ass a little more...

spurs50_
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I have no idea, but I'll have my "free splitter" sign when we play the Suns.

toki9
04-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Corporate knowledge, spreads the floor, gotten over himself, veteran know-how...what else am I missing?

Caeman
04-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Because the old man, Pop, is senile.

tdunk21
04-01-2011, 10:30 PM
none of the spurs reporters have the balls to ask this question to pop directly....what bunch of idiots....

Hooks
04-01-2011, 10:34 PM
He stretches the floor T_T

baseline bum
04-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't like Splitter much. I think he's soft. He's a China doll. I don't think he has a good competitive fire having withdrawn from the draft 3 times. And yet, Bonner is so comically bad that my blood boils watching Splitter not get minutes due to this clown.

DMC
04-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Simple question. Give me a simple answer. I want to figure this once and for all.

Wow I just checked and you're right. That's odd.

DMC
04-01-2011, 10:37 PM
none of the spurs reporters have the balls to ask this question to pop directly....what bunch of idiots....
Some reporter challenged him in the past and lost credentials, eventually a job. Go figure.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Bonner, like Finley, has a special place in Pop's heart..when you're in that select group, you don't get benched, no matter what..you aren't held accountable..

GSH
04-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Because Michael Finley isn't here anymore.

Hooks
04-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't like Splitter much. I think he's soft. He's a China doll. I don't think he has a good competitive fire having withdrawn from the draft 3 times. And yet, Bonner is so comically bad that my blood boils watching Splitter not get minutes due to this clown.

He was soft in the games he played earlier in the season but in both Portland games he shut down Aldridge twice, the same way he shut down Nene against the Nuggets, and shut down Odom and took Chandler out of the game during the game against team USA and just took Hill out of the Rockets game in like 4 minutes. The guy isn't soft, he played against very physical guys in the Euroleague and held his own (They let them play twice as physical over seas as they do in the NBA). You can't expect him to produce every 15 or so games in the 4th quarter, he's proven what he can do when he gets minutes.

SA210
04-02-2011, 01:46 AM

ElNono
04-02-2011, 01:48 AM

Agree 100%. Don't think Splitter is ready for the better teams... but at this point he can't be worse than Ginger...

jjktkk
04-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Agree 100%. Don't think Splitter is ready for the better teams... but at this point he can't be worse than Ginger...

Agree, but Splitter is not ready for the playoffs. Blame it on Pop, but Splitter needs to polish his post game and overall offense. He needs to get more physical/stronger, which isn't gonna happen till he gets with the Spurs strength coach this Summer.

rmt
04-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Agree, but Splitter is not ready for the playoffs. Blame it on Pop, but Splitter needs to polish his post game and overall offense. He needs to get more physical/stronger, which isn't gonna happen till he gets with the Spurs strength coach this Summer.

Splitter, as is, is a better choice for the playoffs than Bonner. This team needs defense - not offense (not that Bonner is giving them offense recently- 12 of 50 3pters = 24%). Splitter is already more physical and stronger than Bonner. Today 0 pts in 25 mins for Bonner. 4pts in 3:48 for Splitter.

Juanobili
04-02-2011, 02:13 AM
I've actually wondered if Tiago is being prepared as some playoffs monster that he's been hiding from everyone lol

Juggity
04-02-2011, 02:22 AM
I've actually wondered if Tiago is being prepared as some playoffs monster that he's been hiding from everyone lol

That is an interesting thought. If Pop is waiting until the playoffs to unleash Splitter, it could provide a crucial competitive advantage because teams have not faced a "monster" Tiago to a great extent so far in the season. Catching them off guard could be the lynchpin to a championship.

Yet, at the same time, it makes just as much sense to "test-drive" this Splitter "monster" if indeed it is in the pipeline. It would be weird to just let it sink or swim at the most crucial point of the season.

But honestly, I don't believe this for a second. I think Bonner represents something for Pop that he feels he must prove. For this reason, as far as I can see, Splitter will be relegated to the bench so that Bonner may prove this obscure point which I will not even hazard a guess at.

Capt Bringdown
04-02-2011, 02:28 AM
4 rings and Pop's got a system. Spoiled fans expecting more from the Spurs, how dare they!

Juanobili
04-02-2011, 02:31 AM
Yet, at the same time, it makes just as much sense to "test-drive" this Splitter "monster" if indeed it is in the pipeline. It would be weird to just let it sink or swim at the most crucial point of the season.

haha I just imagined him working out against Tim and Dice in a secret gym

Kuestmaster
04-02-2011, 03:02 AM
I don't get it. I live in spain and I did see the last couple of years some of Splitter games. He can bring it when it counts, he was the last MVP of the second best league in the world, he won the title dammit.

Since Bonner started to average more than 12 mpg in a spurs uniform we haven't won anything

UnWantedTheory
04-02-2011, 03:15 AM
if we knew no one would be bitching

Bruno
04-02-2011, 04:22 AM
As a fan, it sucks to see the team you root for losing games but it is ten times harder because the coach refuse to see the obvious.

And remember sooner this season the reason given by Pop for not giving minutes to Tiago: "it isn't fair to the team". Basically he didn't want to develop Tiago because it would hurt Spurs record. What "isn't fair to the team", is to continue giving major minutes to Bonner while he is in a huge shooting slump. Bonner isn't the only reason why Spurs have lost 6 in a row but he is a big one.

Pop is damn stubborn. He decided that it wasn't a year for Splitter and that Bonner was a major piece of the team. It's time for him to look at the facts, admit he was wrong and change his rotation.

objective
04-02-2011, 04:32 AM
To top it all off . . .

When the Spurs have won in the playoffs, they've done it IN SPITE of Bonner's garbage play.

They beat Dallas last year when Bonner for the series shot 35% from the field and 31% from 3pt. He was -16 for the series. He failed every way, he bricked open threes, bricked contested threes, and passed up open threes.

When it matters most, the postseason, he's never helped the Spurs win anything, ever.

He's been carried by the rest of the team.

How Pop became convinced that it wouldn't be fair to the team to sit Bonner at the end of the bench where he belongs is one of the great mysteries.

We need Ludden to write a Jack McCallum-style book about this team. Call it "Spreading the Floor: the Spurs Road to Failure".

Capt Bringdown
04-02-2011, 05:06 AM
When it matters most, the postseason, he's never helped the Spurs win anything, ever.

He's been carried by the rest of the team.

How Pop became convinced that it wouldn't be fair to the team to sit Bonner at the end of the bench where he belongs is one of the great mysteries.

You reckon Kobe, MJ, Bird, Hakeem etc would let this situation reach this point?
This is a superstar's league...so is Duncan down with Bonner as much as Pop is?

analyzed
04-02-2011, 05:13 AM
How does a player over the last 14 games, still get significant playing time when hitting 35.4 percent from the field, 24 percent from 3-point territory and averaging 5.2 points per game in 25 average minutes per game ?

This must be some kind of record, for a player to play so bad for so long and yet get so many minutes.

I'm trying to see where Pop is coming from, and give him the benefit of the doubt , after all he is the coach and Im just a fan'. but I really can't figure it out. I think sometimes things are just wrong , no matter whose making the decision ( hall of fame coach etc) . And sometimes things are just right , even If I'm just an average no body fan. The stats seems to suggest that I am and Pop is wrong

TampaDude
04-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Pop is insane. That's the only explanation.

objective
04-02-2011, 05:43 AM
well, despite how terrible Bonner has proven himself to be, there are contrary opinions. Like Tim Varner from 48 MoH when he was a guest on the ESPN NBA Today podcast on 1-17 (http://c.espnradio.com/audio/495703/nbatoday_2011-01-17-122503.mp3)

my transcript, around the 22:45 mark:

[regarding the Spurs vs. the Lakers] "This will sound crazy, but hear me out: I think Matt Bonner is a real match-up problem for them. Because when he opens the floor it opens things up for Parker [and] Ginobili to drivel; the Lakers don't have great point guard defense. And Matt Bonner forces someone like Andrew Bynum or Pau Gasol to come away from the rim which again helps Parker and Ginobili out.

Now, that sounds plausible on paper if one ignores everything that's ever happened in the playoffs as far as Bonner's play or how Phil Jackson has in the past forced choking Spurs to miss or not even take 3s.

But there you go, straight from the media . . .

Matt Bonner will be a match-up problem for the Lakers!

:lol

analyzed
04-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Being objective that does make sense, to counter the twin tower combination of LA with a 4 who can shoot from three, (typical euro int'l ball). however this can only be done for extended minutes if your 4 is not a liability on defense, (such as when horry played for LA and was matched up vs TD) otherwise the match-up favors LA. There is no way Bonner guards Bynum or Gasol for extended minutes, situational minutes yes, but he has no business playing 20 plus minutes

biskvito
04-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Pop got tired of Spurs being labeled as "boring". So he pulled a Phoenix Suns. Sure is a bumping ride for the Spurs fans.

SA210
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
As a fan, it sucks to see the team you root for losing games but it is ten times harder because the coach refuse to see the obvious.

And remember sooner this season the reason given by Pop for not giving minutes to Tiago: "it isn't fair to the team". Basically he didn't want to develop Tiago because it would hurt Spurs record. What "isn't fair to the team", is to continue giving major minutes to Bonner while he is in a huge shooting slump. Bonner isn't the only reason why Spurs have lost 6 in a row but he is a big one.

Pop is damn stubborn. He decided that it wasn't a year for Splitter and that Bonner was a major piece of the team. It's time for him to look at the facts, admit he was wrong and change his rotation.

:lmao that piece of shit coach will do no such thing. I loved Pop when he was defensive minded. He isn't the same anymore. He's a stubborn asshole who will continue to do what he shouldn't just because people question him.

:pctoss

SenorSpur
04-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Splitter, as is, is a better choice for the playoffs than Bonner. This team needs defense - not offense (not that Bonner is giving them offense recently- 12 of 50 3pters = 24%). Splitter is already more physical and stronger than Bonner. Today 0 pts in 25 mins for Bonner. 4pts in 3:48 for Splitter.

That's the whole point right there. So all this talk about Splitter not being ready for the playoffs - whether it comes from Pop or people on this forum - is bullshit.

If Bonner was clearly a better option than Splitter and was producing for the team, no one could argue or question Pop's decision to keep Splitter chained to the bench. However because he's not, it makes Pop decision even more idiotic.

Another reason I'm not going to trust Pop's decision on this is because he said the same thing about Hill back in 2009 playoffs. Even though Hill was surprisingly effective when he got his chance to play, Pop only inserted him into the Game 5 after the series was already lost. Still it was a revelation that Pop isn't always right in his prejudice towards rookies.