PDA

View Full Version : Saddest part about having lost the No. 1 seed

zocool16
04-02-2011, 06:11 AM
First of all, Spurs will definitely lose the seed. If you still have hope for that, wake up, not only are the Spurs playing terrible, but the Lakers are just playing too well.

The saddest part is that, despite being big-time Spurs fans, realistic fans know the Lakers are the better team, and the homecourt in a possible Western Conference Finals against them was the only chance the Spurs had of even making it a good series.

Even with the homecourt, I think the Lakers would have still prevailed. It's sad, but the truth. Now, without the homecourt, forget about it. Lucky if it goes six games. And who knows if the Spurs will get past the Mavs.

All realistic fans wanted was a chance at giving the Lakers the series of their lives. Lakers fans laugh at San Antonio. They don't take us serious (trust me, I live in L.A., I know), and now they'll take us even less seriously. Who could blame them? Ahead 30 games and the sorry Spurs manage to lose every game it needs to drop the undroppable No. 1 seed.

It's like losing a seven-game series that the Spurs were up 3-0. Sad.

tdunk21
04-02-2011, 06:20 AM
:td

zocool16
04-02-2011, 06:22 AM
On a more positive note, I think we could make a run at the Cavs' losses-in-a-row record. Just 20 more! Lol.

Venti Quattro
04-02-2011, 06:46 AM
I, like the Lakers as mentioned in the news, have a "no care" attitude with regards to the #1 slot. If they get there, then fine. If not, then no worries we didn't expect it because of SA's insurmountable advantage. But damn the Lakers are playing so well right now that I even have to regulate myself from unnecessary trolling.

boutons_deux
04-02-2011, 06:55 AM
A historic collapse that ridicules the people who say only Tim was the key to 4 rings and Pop played no role.

johnnySpurs
04-02-2011, 07:36 AM
The saddest part is the loss of momentum going into the playoffs.

Capt Bringdown
04-02-2011, 08:28 AM
I ain't been right about much, but when the Lakers were gifted Gasol I predicted they would go on a title rampage. That's what happens when you get an all-star bigman for free.

Looking around the league I don't see anyone who can beat 'em 4 times in a playoff series. They are not a perfect team, but they are built for the playoffs.

The Spurs haven't been a factor at all in the Lakers recent title runs, and that's not changing this year. The Celtics have probably played them the closest for the past 3 years, and the Spurs don't resemble the Celtics at all.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I ain't been right about much, but when the Lakers were gifted Gasol I predicted they would go on a title rampage. That's what happens when you get an all-star bigman for free.

Looking around the league I don't see anyone who can beat 'em 4 times in a playoff series. They are not a perfect team, but they are built for the playoffs.

The Spurs haven't been a factor at all in the Lakers recent title runs, and that's not changing this year. The Celtics have probably played them the closest for the past 3 years, and the Spurs don't resemble the Celtics at all.

The Celtics lost Perkins, so I don't think they can beat LAL anymore, especially w/o HCA.

OKC worries me though...they have been insanely good on both ends since acquiring Perkins. They could potentially upset LA, or at least take them to 7.

TwelveGs210
04-02-2011, 08:37 AM
The saddest part for me is the fact we went on this downward spiral after Pop tinkered with the lineup.

Capt Bringdown
04-02-2011, 08:41 AM
OKC worries me though...they have been insanely good on both ends since acquiring Perkins. They could potentially upset LA, or at least take them to 7.

Not if Artest continues to own Durant. OKC/LA will probably be the best series this year.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Not if Artest continues to own Durant. OKC/LA will probably be the best series this year.

Very true. Artest has his #, but sooner or later you know the kid is gonna bust out.

OT: LOL at all those people saying the Lakers were dumb for basically swapping Artest and Ariza. Ron-Ron shut down the two most lethal scorers we faced last year in the PO: KD and PP. Ron is frustrating and certifiably insane, but he's such an integral part of the Laker's D--and "swag":lol

DPG21920
04-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Spurs haven't lost the number one seed. Just letting you know.

I think LA is clearly the favorites, but you also have to keep in mind that when teams are clicking, they all look unbeatable. It's the same thing that happened when the Spurs were on fire; many around here thought the Spurs were just unbelievably good. Now, since they have lost a bunch of close games, they look pretty bad.

Point is, LA has a ton of talent and is peaking at the right time, but I can see MIA/CHI/OKC/SA giving them trouble if a few things go the right way. But if everyone plays their best, LA wins.

Capt Bringdown
04-02-2011, 08:59 AM
OT: LOL at all those people saying the Lakers were dumb for basically swapping Artest and Ariza. Ron-Ron shut down the two most lethal scorers we faced last year in the PO: KD and PP. Ron is frustrating and certifiably insane, but he's such an integral part of the Laker's D--and "swag":lol

LOL at typical Lakerfan BS - You know you weren't singing his praises earlier in the season when Artest was fucking the Lakers up. He was awful. I guess his meds needed adjusting.

I think the thing with Durant is mental. I hope he busts out of it and shits on your script.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:03 AM

I think LA is clearly the favorites, but you also have to keep in mind that when teams are clicking, they all look unbeatable. It's the same thing that happened when the Spurs were on fire; many around here thought the Spurs were just unbelievably good. Now, since they have lost a bunch of close games, they look pretty bad.

Point is, LA has a ton of talent and is peaking at the right time, but I can see MIA/CHI/OKC/SA giving them trouble if a few things go the right way. But if everyone plays their best, LA wins.

That's the thing...Any of those potential opponents would be late-round matchups, where LAL historically plays their best. It's going to take a team having A LOT of things go "the right way" over a 7 game series to dethrone them. OKC has the interior defense (and perimeter with Thabo), to give the Lakers fits. Their big issue will be lack of offensive production from their bigs. Perkins and Ibaka are pretty one-dimensional. Get our bigs in foul trouble and it's anyone's game.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:06 AM
LOL at typical Lakerfan BS - You know you weren't singing his praises earlier in the season when Artest was fucking the Lakers up. He was awful. I guess his meds needed adjusting.

I think the thing with Durant is mental. I hope he busts out of it and shits on your script.

Did I say I was? We all know what I did say (as my post history indicates) though: the regular season doesn't mean shit.

Artest and Fisher are absolutely infuriating to watch at times--especially during the regular season. But Ron-Ron will forever be a bad-ass for his 2010 NBA finals performance--especially Game 7. Fisher always comes up huge in the PO as well. Show up in the playoffs and that's all that matters.

Venti Quattro
04-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Ron Artest's play can be comparable to his mood swings and temperament, so I'm not overly ecstatic about his play although it's really a welcome sign that he's picking it up.

For most part I've been calling out Blake for the past few weeks but he's been playing decent to good basketball. Last night at Utah he wasn't scared to do anything on offense and he actually defended. He ran a fastbreak one time and pulled up at the line cos there wasn't anyone stopping him... great decision right there.

To be honest LA is overdue for a really terrible game. I thought it was last night but lol Utah. Maybe they stink it out in Portland because that's the most likely place that they will.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:09 AM
CaptBringdown,

If Bonner and RJ were turds in the regular season but made clutch baskets in the PO (leading to more wins), would you sing their praises?

I would...

Venti Quattro
04-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Did I say I was? We all know what I did say (as my post history indicates) though: the regular season doesn't mean shit.

Artest and Fisher are absolutely infuriating to watch at times--especially during the regular season. But Ron-Ron will forever be a bad-ass for his 2010 NBA finals performance--especially Game 7. Fisher always comes up huge in the PO as well. Show up in the playoffs and that's all that matters.

Fisher has like this layup gas tank. He refuses to use it in the regular season but when it counts he makes all his lay-ups

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:11 AM

The eternal optimist:lol

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Fisher has like this layup gas tank. He refuses to use it in the regular season but when it counts he makes all his lay-ups

Pretty much. I hate his ass for 3 quarters, but in the 4th quarter of big games he is money

Venti Quattro
04-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Also Fisher hits a lot of fire-dousing shots. Opponent makes an 8-0 or 10-0 run, Fisher snaps it with a ridiculous jumper

DPG21920
04-02-2011, 09:15 AM
The eternal optimist:lol

DD, as you very well know by judging my arguments, I deal with facts to support any perceived objectivity. In this case, there is no argument against what I said. Spurs haven't lost the number one seed.

Now, if we want to argue the merits of the possibility that they will lose it by the end of the season, then sure, that is a different story.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:15 AM
One last correlation/analogy for Spurfan who thinks Lakerfan jumps off the Artest bandwagon just cause he sucks in the regular season:

Robert Horry

Probably the most uninspired regular season player ever, but he was a fucking BEAST in the playoffs--Spurfan knows this.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:17 AM
DD, as you very well know by judging my arguments, I deal with facts to support any perceived objectivity. In this case, there is no argument against what I said. Spurs haven't lost the number one seed.

Now, if we want to argue the merits of the possibility that they will lose it by the end of the season, then sure, that is a different story.

Fair point, kimosabe.

Do you think the Spurs hang on to HCA, in your opinion?

DPG21920
04-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Well Horry earned that rep. Artest hasn't. If Artest would have had a ton of huge plays over the span of his career like Horry, he would have the rep as well.

I agree Ron did everything LA asked of him when it mattered and I truly feel he was the MVP of the finals.

DPG21920
04-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Fair point, kimosabe.

Yes, I do. I think the Spurs beat everyone but LA from here on out.

Capt Bringdown
04-02-2011, 09:21 AM
One last correlation/analogy for Spurfan who thinks Lakerfan jumps off the Artest bandwagon just cause he sucks in the regular season:

Robert Horry

Of course Lakerfan drops to his knees at the mere mention of Artest now, but the point is that many if not most Lakerfans were pointing the finger at him when the Lakers were struggling. Maybe you didn't, but to deny that most weren't is simply grasping at straws.

And how dare you compare Horry to Artest. Horry is a fucking legend ffs.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM

The Rocket loss changed my thinking, tbh. If the Spurs do indeed just drop the LA game, then the Lakers would have to win out to grab the HCA. As it stands now I think LA will lose @ the Rose Garden, maybe even another game.

I think San Antonio's only other pitfall remaining (outside of LA) is @ the Hawks--they came back to life with that huge comeback win over the C's.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Of course Lakerfan drops to his knees at the mere mention of Artest now, but the point is that many if not most Lakerfans were pointing the finger at him when the Lakers were struggling. Maybe you didn't, but to deny that most weren't is simply grasping at straws.

The Lakers struggles are what they always were: apathetic attitude towards the regular season. Ron was just one of many with that 'tude.

Ron Artest won us Game 7 of the NBA Finals against the Boston Celtics. He is forever in laker lore b/c of that.

No, he's not in Robert Horry-status, but he turned it on and came up big when it mattered most.

Look at the Lakers most recent run since the ASB. Kobe's #'s haven't been that great, either. Andrew Bynum (by far the biggest reason) and the improved play of Ron has us back in dominant form.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Well Horry earned that rep. Artest hasn't. If Artest would have had a ton of huge plays over the span of his career like Horry, he would have the rep as well.

I agree Ron did everything LA asked of him when it mattered and I truly feel he was the MVP of the finals.

100% agree

Venti Quattro
04-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I saw the Spurs final 6 games and it's a cakewalk. So they still have the advantage right now cos the Lakers have to still contend with Denver, Portland, OKC and SA. What's going for LA is that 3/4 games are at Staples.

DPG21920
04-02-2011, 09:29 AM

We would all do the same thing. I point the finger at RJ sucking terribly, but if he plays as well on either side of the ball (meaning be as dominant as Artest was on defense, either defensively or offensively) I will sing his praises every day.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:31 AM
We would all do the same thing. I point the finger at RJ sucking terribly, but if he plays as well on either side of the ball (meaning be as dominant as Artest was on defense, either defensively or offensively) I will sing his praises every day.

EXACTLY

Doesn't matter the fanbase...a player can suck ass in the regular season, but if he comes up big in the PO's, he's a hero.

Venti Quattro
04-02-2011, 09:33 AM
lol LA has the two biggest cases-in-point regarding that premise.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:37 AM
lol LA has the two biggest cases-in-point regarding that premise.

Yup:lol

Watching Ron brick open 3's and seeing opposing PG's run circles around Fisher makes me wanna puke........

......but when it comes time to close out a playoff/big game, you best believe I wanna see both those motherfuckers on the court :lobt2:

ogait
04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
For such a bad loosing streak this hasn't changed my mind about the Spurs possibilities at all. Meaning they can beat anyone in the West except the Lakers.

And it's not like they are playing a lot worse then they were all season, they just aren't getting it done at the end of games, like they use to, an like they will in the playoffs.

Manu is playing bad but I trust he'll pick it up on the playoffs. Parker is doing his think, and Duncan is looking surprisingly good.

But again LA just have another gear the Spurs can't match.

DPG21920
04-02-2011, 09:40 AM
For such a bad loosing streak this hasn't changed my mind about the Spurs possibilities at all. Meaning they can beat anyone in the West except the Lakers.

And it's not like they are playing a lot worse then they were all season, they just aren't getting it done at the end of games, like they use to, an like they will in the playoffs.

Manu is playing bad but I trust he'll pick it up on the playoffs. Parker is doing his think, and Duncan is looking surprisingly good.

But again LA just have another gear the Spurs can't match.

I agree. Now, I never say never (hi beeb's), but I talk about likelihoods. I am hard on the team because all I want is a title, but looking at the team and how everything has transpired, I can still see them reaching the WCF*.

That is not to say it will be easy, if they have to play MEM/OKC to get there, it is going to be really tough, but I still see them getting there.

*if they hold the number 1 seed

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2011, 09:45 AM
That would be splendid if SAS knock out OKC.

TXstbobcat
04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
That would be splendid if SAS knock out OKC.

After the last 6 games, I think that the spurs need to get a win before even thinking about knocking anyone out of the playoffs.

GrandeDavid
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
The #1 seed is definitely gone. I know I made that positive post, but looks like I was just being optimistic. The killer thing about this incredible streak is that the Spurs could've won every single game!!

Anyway, I think that the Lakers will resoundingly beat the Spurs in LA, so you're right, the #1 seed is gone. Oh well, at least we had another 50+ win season.

Giuseppe
04-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Oh well, at least we had another 50+ win season.

+ you closed down The Forum that time.

Agloco
04-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Fair point, kimosabe.

So DPG, which other game will the Lakers lose?

DPG21920
04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Okc.

dbreiden83080
04-02-2011, 12:39 PM
This collapse has been as depressing to watch as any time in the Duncan Era.. There's been a lot of great moments but this has been just fuckin infuriating..

Caeman
04-02-2011, 01:30 PM
There is nothing sad about losing the No. 1 seed. Seeding is about HCA, and HCA is lost in the playoffs, not in the season.

The fucked up thing is this team cannot defend for anything. The Spurs shoot jumpers on one end, and the other team lays it up on the other (or the rebound it and drain a 3). This is what's sad as a fan, and this is why the Spurs will not make a serious run.

fuck the 1st seed, Spurs getting bounced.

spurs10
04-02-2011, 02:08 PM
The Rocket loss changed my thinking, tbh. If the Spurs do indeed just drop the LA game, then the Lakers would have to win out to grab the HCA. As it stands now I think LA will lose @ the Rose Garden, maybe even another game.

I think San Antonio's only other pitfall remaining (outside of LA) is @ the Hawks--they came back to life with that huge comeback win over the C's.
Agreed.

mexicanjunior
04-02-2011, 02:35 PM

I think best case scenario is winning 3 of their remaining games...

spurs10
04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
The #1 seed is definitely gone. I know I made that positive post, but looks like I was just being optimistic. The killer thing about this incredible streak is that the Spurs could've won every single game!!

Anyway, I think that the Lakers will resoundingly beat the Spurs in LA, so you're right, the #1 seed is gone. Oh well, at least we had another 50+ win season.

I don't think so. We are, unbelievably so, the #1 team in the NBA...still. If LA wins out...yeah, but I don't see that happening. They lose one game and we got it.
:flag:

rascal
04-02-2011, 09:47 PM
The Lakers could play every game of a 7 game playoff series in San Antonio and still win the series.

spurtech09
04-02-2011, 10:51 PM
:td

TD 21
04-03-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm not convinced they've lost home court, but it will come down to the end, as I was saying long ago.

I actually suspect they'll win tomorrow (and thought so before I heard Nash was a no-go) and I think the Lakers will lose, if for no other reason than law of averages.

But whether they win tomorrow or not, hold onto the 1st seed or not, the question is, will this team be irreparably damaged, in the psychological sense? That, above all else, is what matters most at this point. It's not enough to have the 1st seed, they have to actually believe that they can win the championship. If they don't truly believe that, then 1st seed or not, they'll be lucky to win more than a round.

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
04-03-2011, 12:36 AM
murder OP!!!

DirkISaCocLuvinPuSSy
04-03-2011, 12:41 AM
also. really yall?!?! ur gunna let 6 games define this season. ITS ABOUT THE PLAYOFFS. until were knocked out quit the bitching and stop sending bad vibes out into the universe.

Killakobe81
04-03-2011, 12:41 AM
The Celtics lost Perkins, so I don't think they can beat LAL anymore, especially w/o HCA.

Give us another 6 games? ... yes. Upset or push to 7? ...no.

Isitjustme?
04-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Very true. Artest has his #, but sooner or later you know the kid is gonna bust out.

Pierce averaged like the same numbers in the Finals as he did in the rest of the playoffs.

Giuseppe
04-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Pierce averaged like the same numbers in the Finals as he did in the rest of the playoffs.

Cept he forgot for just a split second....eased back on his heels........and just like that, Artest snatched the life right out of 'em.

Harry Callahan
04-03-2011, 09:42 AM
SA would probably have a 10-20% chance of winning a series with LA at this point (even with home court). However, a lot of games have to be played to get to that point because the earliest they meet will be the WCF regardless of the home court. Dallas' really solid effort last night solidified the 1-2 spots for SA and LA.

LA would probably require a Kendrick Perkins moment to be truly beatable.

However, that is why you play this out. Stuff can happen. It did last year to Boston in Game 6 in the finals.

The #2 or #1 spot is OK. LA can win in SA and vice versa.

SenorSpur
04-03-2011, 10:53 AM

That's partly because the OKC coach not only talks and preaches defense, he practices it and has the players to implement it. Unlike Pop, Scott Brooks believes it's best to roll out a 4-man (Ibaka) that can rebound and defend, versus one (Bonner), whose only skill is clanging shots from the 3-pt line and is a tremendous defensive liability, to boot.