PDA

View Full Version : Quran-burning protests spread to Kandahar; 9 dead

George Gervin's Afro
04-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Quran-burning protests spread to Kandahar; 9 dead

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- The deadly protests in northern Afghanistan over a Quran burning spread to the country's war-torn southern region on Saturday, with provincial government officials reporting at least nine civilians dead and dozens injured.

The violence struck the city of Kandahar when demonstrators took to the streets to protest the torching of Islam's most sacred book by a U.S. church.

The unrest followed a demonstration on Friday in the northern town of Mazar-e Sharif, in which five demonstrators and seven U.N. employees were killed when an angry throng stormed the U.N. compound there.

"Today the enemies of peace in Afghanistan killed and injured our people in Kandahar," said a statement from the office of the Kandahar governor.

Besmellah Afghanmal, a Kandahar provincial council member, said hundreds gathered in Kandahar city to protest the Quran burning.

The demonstration started peacefully, but protesters turned violent, setting fire to a school and vehicles in Kandahar city, said Zalmai Ayoubi, spokesman for the governor of Kandahar province.

Along with the nine deaths, 73 others were injured, the provincial government said.

Ayoubi said Afghan security forces arrested 17 people, including seven who were armed and are suspected of shooting at protesters.

Pastor Terry Jones sparked international controversy last year when his Gainesville, Florida, church planned "International Burn a Quran Day" on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Jones' church did not host a Quran burning on that day, but the Dove World Outreach Center's website announced an "International Judge the Koran Day" set for last month.

Another post on the site's blog showed an image of a burning book and read, "The event is over, the Koran was found guilty and a copy was burned inside the building."

Some witnesses in Kandahar said protesters were shot by police.

"I saw personally three people who (were) shot to death, and one of them was shot just next to me," protester Shah Meer said.

But police said they neither shot at nor killed anyone.

"There (was) gunfire into the air in order to bring the people under control, and luckily not one has been killed as a result of the gunfire," said Zemarai Bashari, spokesman for the interior ministry.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Taliban said the group was not behind any deaths during the event.

"What happened in Kandahar today was the feeling of the nation, and the Islamic movement of the Taliban was not involved in any (violence)," Zabiullah Mojahed said. "It was the Afghan police that killed the innocent people of Kandahar while they were expressing their feeling against the burning of holy Quran in Florida."

The Mazar-e Sharif killings generated worldwide condemnation, from the U.N. Security Council to the Organization of the Islamic Conference, a 57-state group that calls itself the "collective voice of the Muslim world."

Jones said in a statement Friday called the assault "a very tragic and criminal action."

Lal Mohammad Ahmadzai, a spokesman for the police in Mazar-e-Sharif, told reporters that a number of suspects "who might be the main organizers" had been arrested from the Friday attack

The United Nations says the seven U.N. staffers killed were four Nepalese security guards and three civilians. A U.N. source said the three civilians were from Norway, Sweden and Romania.

U.N. Peacekeeping Director Alain Le Roy said five demonstrators also were killed. He said no Afghan U.N. staff members were among the dead, he said.

"I understand there were hundreds, if not thousands, of demonstrators. Some of them were clearly armed and they stormed into the building," Le Roy said.

He said the security guards tried their best to halt the demonstrators' advance, but were overwhelmed.

Le Roy said it was not clear that the United Nations was the target. "It happened to be the U.N. because the U.N. is on the ground."

Another 24 people were wounded, said Abdul Rauof Taj, security director of Balkh province.

The U.N. Security Council met Friday and issued a statement condemning the attack, which occurred at the operations center of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, or UNAMA.

Haji Sakhi Mohammad, a businessman in Mazar-e-Sharif, said that the incident began after Friday prayers, when many people joined a protest against the burning of the Quran. People calling "Death to America" marched to the U.N. compound and broke in, he said. Gunfire broke out, and "I saw protesters shot to death," he said

A student in Mazar-e-Sharif said he and his friends joined the protesters, who numbered in the hundreds. "When we reached the UNAMA office, we came under gunfire by Afghan security guards. Protesters became angry and stormed the building."

The student said some of the protesters found several loaded AK-47s and used them to kill security guards and other people inside the building.

Mazar-e Sharif and other northern areas of the country have been relatively more stable than the south and east but they have experienced their share of violence lately.

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari condemned the Quran burning during a speech before Pakistan's legislature on March 22.

"May I, at the outset, strongly condemn on behalf of the people of Pakistan and on my own behalf the deliberate desecration of the holy Quran by a fanatic in Florida," he said, according a transcript of speech. "We condemn this act in the strongest possible words. ... It is a serious setback to the efforts at promoting harmony among civilized communities throughout the world."

How long before we get a yoni/darrins/wild cobra/ muslim hatiing thread?

"They burn bibles we don't do anything" ," I thought Obama asked them to be nice", "I thought this was the religion of peace?"

DarrinS
04-02-2011, 08:24 AM
How long before we get a yoni/darrins/wild cobra/ muslim hatiing thread?

"They burn bibles we don't do anything" ," I thought Obama asked them to be nice", "I thought this was the religion of peace?"

http://www.undispatch.com/this-attack-is-different

Mark asked me to respond to today’s attack on UN staff in Mazar-i-Sharif. This post is my initial reaction.

Kabul, Afghanistan – Foreigners have been killed in Afghanistan before, and today’s attack was not the first fatal attack on UN staff. But it was different than previous fatal attacks. Very different. The killers were ordinary residents of a city deemed peaceful enough to be one of the first places transferred to the control of Afghan security forces. The men who broke into the UN compound, set fires and killed eight people weren’t Taliban, or henchmen of a brutal warlord, or members of a criminal gang. They weren’t even armed when the protests began –they took weapons from the UN guards who were their first victims.

Foreigners committed to assisting in the rebuilding of Afghanistan have long accepted the possibility that they might die at the hands of warring parties, but this degree of violence from ordinary citizens is not something most of us factored into our decision to work here.

Tonight, the governor of Balkh province (of which Mazar-i-Sharif is the capital) is telling the international media that the men who sacked the UN compound were Taliban infiltrators. That’s rubbish. Local clerics drove around the city with megaphones yesterday, calling residents to protest the actions of a small group of attention-seeking, bigoted Americans. Then, during today’s protest, someone announced that not just one, but hundreds of Korans had been burned in America. A throng of enraged men rushed the gates of the UN compound, determined to draw blood. Had the attackers been gunmen, they would likely have been killed before they could breach the compound.

I was sharing a meal with aid worker friends when I heard the news. Phones began buzzing. Security officers were demanding that my friends return to their compounds immediately. Cars had already been sent to retrieve them. Lockdown was in effect.

This is not the beginning of the end for the international community in Afghanistan. This is the end. Terry Jones and others will continue to pull anti-Islam stunts and opportunistic extremists here will use those actions to incite attacks against foreigners. Unless we, the internationals, want our guards to fire on unarmed protesters from now on, the day has come for us to leave Afghanistan.

boutons_deux
04-02-2011, 08:42 AM
UCA/Ricshistan isn't leaving Afghanistan, Iraq, or Eqypt, or 700 UCA imperial garrisons around the planet, for decades, forever. That's too much profit to walk away from.

George Gervin's Afro
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.undispatch.com/this-attack-is-different

So don't burn korans. Problem solved.

Capt Bringdown
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
A former teacher of mine is over there as part of some program to teach Afghan pilots English.
I heard the deal was so lucrative that a coupla years would fund his retirement in Thailand (he's in his 60's now).

The thing is he had a cushy gig already. Perhaps he regretting his decision?
How much cash would it take to entice you to work in Afghanistan?

CosmicCowboy
04-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Just proves theres religious idiots on both sides of the world.

boutons_deux
04-02-2011, 09:27 AM
But it's only the Repugs/conservatives who pander to and encourage the hate-filled "Christian" Taiban supremacists to fabricate and sustain a totally bogus paranoia.

Welcome to the Shari'ah Conspiracy Theory Industry

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/150444

Stringer_Bell
04-02-2011, 09:55 AM

iknoright? srsly, what else could they be mad about? it's not that we want their oil, they don't even know what to do with it themselves. it's not that we want their women, we can't even see their faces. NOPE! it's cuz words printed on trees are more important than human lives, then when we turn around and say "oil is worth more than your lives" they get all butthurt and start killing people.

DarrinS
04-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Upon hearing of the Quran burning, the only sensible thing to do is go out and kill some random non-Muslims who had nothing to do with the burning. :wakeup

boutons_deux
04-02-2011, 10:09 AM
"random non-Muslims"

You Lie. The murdered people were the foregners at hand as representatives of the invading, occupying, murderous Euro-Americans.

As a parallel, imagine UCA gun fetishist bubbas killing Mexican invaders that were invading America to kill the drug cartels destabilizing Mexico.

DarrinS
04-02-2011, 10:13 AM
"random non-Muslims"

You Lie. The murdered people were the foregners at hand as representatives of the invading, occupying, murderous Euro-Americans.

Just happened to coincide with the Quran burning. :rolleyes

MaNuMaNiAc
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM

Oh that's priceless! killing innocent people is an appropriate response to the burning of a book?? we should all be careful not to bother the lunatics? Give me a fucking break.

Look, I'm not in DarrinS or Cobras or Yonivore's Muslim hating camp, but I think we can all get behind condemning these acts as the work of lunatics.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Just happened to coincide with the Quran burning. :rolleyes

People should really just STOP QUOTING BOUTONS! It overrides the ignore list people!

baseline bum
04-02-2011, 10:39 AM
http://www.rof.com/assets/images/5105-stmain.jpg

boutons_deux
04-02-2011, 10:41 AM
"killing innocent people"

... is appropriate "collateral damage" while chasing non-threatening enemies 1000s of miles from USA?

UCA has no fucking business in Afghanistan, other than "business".

jack sommerset
04-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Look, I'm not in DarrinS or Cobras or Yonivore's Muslim hating camp, but I think we can all get behind condemning these acts as the work of lunatics.

That will never happen. These same hypocrites/freaks that put them down for worrying about the radical muslims will rip any christian for believing in Jesus Christ.

boutons_deux
04-02-2011, 11:06 AM
"will rip any christian for believing in Jesus Christ."

You Lie

"Christians" get trashed

for gratuitously, viciously burning other religions' holy scriptures,

for teaching New Earth creationism in taxpayer-funded schools as plausible as 4.5B year old earth and biological evolution,

for trying to turn UCA's Constitutionally secular form of govt into a "Christian" supremacist theocracy,

for persecuting ALL Muslims as murderous terrorists, even UCA "natural born" citizens.

etc, etc.

jack sommerset
04-02-2011, 11:13 AM
etc, etc.

We know, we know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stringer_Bell
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
"will rip any christian for believing in Jesus Christ."

You Lie

"Christians" get trashed

for gratuitously, viciously burning other religions' holy scriptures,

for teaching New Earth creationism in taxpayer-funded schools as plausible as 4.5B year old earth and biological evolution,

for trying to turn UCA's Constitutionally secular form of govt into a "Christian" supremacist theocracy,

for persecuting ALL Muslims as murderous terrorists, even UCA "natural born" citizens.

etc, etc.

http://www.antifascistencyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_mg7D3kYysfw/RogdFCxSOUI/AAAAAAAAB14/GaMy1NmKjec/s400/MMOH.jpg

jack sommerset
04-02-2011, 04:34 PM
People in Florida burn a book and half a world away these animals riot killing 9 people because of it!!!! Lets just flatline those motherfuckers and be done with all this war nonsense. We proved as a nation that we really don't give a fuck about them. Seriously, the dems cried their little eyes out before Obama became president and nothing since. It was a political move, they don't give a fuck either. Lets stop pretending. We even have engaged in a 3rd freaken war. Blow them the fuck up already. Nobody will give a fuck in a few years and the world will be a better place.

ManuBalboa
04-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Breaking News: UNREST IN THE MIDDLE EAST

Like these idiot cavemen need an excuse to throw stones...