PDA

View Full Version : Comment: Manu brings back passion to game

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Comment: Manu brings back passion to game
Web Posted: 06/05/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Kevin Prather
Special to the Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/stories/MYSA060505.5H.prathercomment.2d5d7789e.html

I have followed the Spurs since they arrived in San Antonio, back in the days of the ABA — short shorts, big hair and the noisy, smoke-filled arena where George Gervin, Larry Kennon and James Silas worked their magic.

I've stuck with the Spurs through the highs and lows — admiring the dignity, professionalism, character and example of David Robinson, grimacing during the brief Dennis Rodman era and enjoying the beauty of watching Tim Duncan execute the fundamentals of basketball with such incredible efficiency.

We have seen many players come through this town and make contributions to the community and the game, and our city has embraced as family most who have played here for any length of time.

And then there is Manu.

While Tim is the foundation of the team, it has been a privilege from a fan's vantage point to watch the development of Manu Ginobili as a player and, even more amazing, to consider what he is becoming.

Manu is like no one we have seen. Yes, Tim is the cornerstone of the team, but Ginobili is the heart and soul of this Spurs unit. Without Ginobili, the Spurs would be just a good team. With him? Well, the story is still being written.

After Larry Bird retired, the NBA anointed many players as the "next" Larry Bird. When Magic Johnson retired, the NBA once more anticipated a "second coming" of sorts. And now, of course, various players are being labeled the "next" Michael Jordan.

The NBA and many fans have missed the point. There will never be another Bird, Johnson or Jordan. Each possessed specific qualities that made his game so remarkable and fascinating to watch: Bird's intensity, competitiveness and focus; Johnson's creativity, competitiveness and court vision; Jordan's sheer will, athleticism, heart and complete game — all worthy of admiration from an athletic standpoint.

But Ginobili? He is a first, a breath of fresh air. This wonderful mixture of pure passion for the game, relentlessness, selflessness, artistry and the way he makes every possession seem as if it is the most important play of the season is something the league desperately needs.

The league has been looking for a positive example in this age of self-indulgent millionaires playing at half-speed through the regular season and then "turning it up a notch" in the playoffs — and then there is Ginobili, the antithesis of such players. It is almost as if he doesn't know that a highly paid NBA player is supposed to coast from time to time.

I heard someone refer to Manu as "Obi-Wan Ginobili," the basketball equivalent of the Jedi Master — seemingly able to defy the laws of gravity, time and space that other "mere mortals" in the league simply cannot.

Over the past six to seven years, I have found myself becoming somewhat disillusioned with the NBA because of some of the players it promoted as the "face of the game." In my 40s now, I simply don't connect with the chest-thumping, trash-talking, me-first stars the league heralds as the next big thing. The great ones don't need PR machines to convince us of their greatness — they simply emerge, as has Manu.

He may never lead the league in scoring or be the MVP, but he brings so much to the game and has reintroduced so much that has been forgotten that he cannot and should not be overlooked. He is a category unto himself.

Thank you, Manu, for bringing back the passion the game has been missing since Jordan retired, for bringing back that creativity that was lost when Magic left the game and for bringing back the respect for the game that seemed to wane when Bird hung up his jersey. Thank you for reminding us of what basketball should and could be.

San Antonio, enjoy and appreciate Manu while he is with us. We may not see his like again. The way he plays with such intensity and fearlessness is punishing on a physical level and could shorten his career. He is like a streaking comet, shining brightly as it bursts across the night sky. Watch closely while he is still visible — and enjoy. Basketball is fun again.

pjjrfan
06-05-2005, 02:10 AM
I have liked his game from the moment I saw him at the games in Indianapolis, and his team was the first to beat a pro team in international play. HIs passion and energy for the game is just beautiful to watch. I've always compared his drive to that of the superstars, he just has the heart of a champion. Yes I do enjoy seeing him perform and will for the duration of his career wherever he may go.

Rick Von Braun
06-05-2005, 04:20 AM
That was a wonderful article written by a basketball fan.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Wow! and I thought I liked Manu! lol This guy is on a whole new level.

xcoriate
06-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Manu needs a bit of a pimping, his image has suffered a lot thanks to Karl and the flopping stuff. There's a fair bit of hate out there now.

rwb
06-05-2005, 07:19 AM
The thing about Manu that I love is not only his fearlessness, it's just that he never stops trying to get a basket. Somehow he still manages to lob something up which half the time incredibly goes in. I think he flopped a little more last year with arms flailing and all as the ball sailed out of bounds after contact, but this year he follows through more. I guess he figures if he's going to get clobbered he should go all out. He really is amazing. Tony has had some flashes of the same, so I hope he adopts the same kind of style. Two guys on the team like that plus Tim? Unstoppable!

spurs_naby20
06-05-2005, 07:31 AM
he's really the man!!!

angel_luv
06-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Wow, great article. That's our Manu!

spurschick
06-05-2005, 08:24 AM
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

EasilyAmused
06-05-2005, 11:24 AM
That is a GREAT article!

WalterBenitez
06-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Nice article, written with heart, very touching

ALVAREZ6
06-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Nice article!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-05-2005, 02:56 PM
That article was total crap.

just kidding.

CyberSnake
06-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Will we be seeing a legend being born in the finals?

smeagol
06-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Will we be seeing a legend being born in the finals?
Errr . . . yes we will!