PDA

View Full Version : Bonner vs. Splitter (The Numbers)

c whata11
04-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes another bonner thread probably wasn't necessary, but I'm still making this. It isn't a Bonner hate thread, simply, it's a comparison of statistics between the Red Rocket and the Golden God (excluding the +/- stat, because we know who'd win that).

Bonner's season averages will be better than Splitter's but that's only because the simple fact that Pop doesn't play Splitter.

So I decided to look at the 4 game stretch where Duncan was out.

Bonner:
7 PPG, 3.5 RPG, .50 FG%, 23 MPG

Splitter:
9 PPG, 7 RPG, .58 FG%, 22 MPG

Bonner's numbers were almost identical to his season averages, while Tiago's had a huge (expected) increase. With the two of them playing the same amount of time in those games its clear Splitter outproduced Bonner.

Another stat I found to be quite interesting was that in very limited playing time, Splitter has already taken and made more free throws (this season) than Bonner's ever done in a single season of his career. While this may be somewhat irrelevant, I still got a laugh out of it.

Okay, I'm done. There's really no point to this thread, seeing as I'm not Pop, nor will Pop stop riding Bonner's cock. But, oh well.

toki9
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Splitter has to start with Duncan. Pop also needs to give him a long leash so that he can feel comfortable with the team in the little time left on the regular season.

Splitter is not a spurt player. He's a steady player who needs chunks of time on the floor to really contribute.

And Manu needs to stop taking so many 3's, and Neal needs to bust through the rookie wall.

thOOdee
04-02-2011, 03:53 PM
and yet the most important factor that probably cant be measured.....splitters ability to alter shots.....thanks for the research...much appreciated.

IronMaxipad
04-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Yall niggas is dumb. Splitter =/= :lobt:

:lmao:lmao

chazley
04-02-2011, 03:58 PM
IronMaxipad... please post more.

chazley
04-02-2011, 03:59 PM
You won't get any argument from me that Tiago should be our 3rd big, and Bonner our 4th.

Anonymous Cowherd
04-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Sadly I think a key Splitter stat is

fouls / minute on the floor

if that could reduce down, I'd be calling for him to start.

itzsoweezee
04-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Still better than the layup line defense that Bonner offers.

Wilford Brimley
04-02-2011, 04:37 PM

If Tiago were to get a steady 20-25 minutes per game you would see his propensity to foul decrease. How else is this kid supposed to learn the game? He doesn't know if he's playing 20 minutes, or just 3 minutes like last night--so when he gets into the game he's over excited and plays almost too hard.

Pop has horribly mismanaged him, and his confidence can't be that good right now.

JustinJDW
04-02-2011, 04:39 PM
How many times do I have to say this? Splitter doesn't spread the floor, and he still needs to get over himself you fucking idiots.

Haha, no for real though, playing a big who plays awesome pick-n-roll defense and alters shots in the paint over a big who shoots 3's makes way too much sense for Pop to understand. But I'm over it. I'm tired of getting myself angry and frustrated over it. Let Pop do what he wants.

Still though, can you imagine if Splitter and Duncan both were on the floor together consistently? Defense would be freaking awesome. I think Pop has only done this once right? And it was like for only two minutes or something.

Agloco
04-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Yes another bonner thread wasn't necessary

Helped you out with some editing just in case you get the itch at some point in the future. :toast

Strategic
04-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Still though, can you imagine if Splitter and Duncan both were on the floor together consistently? Defense would be freaking awesome.

This is not to mention seeing Timmy Duncan finishing his career the way he started it, as the best power forward to ever play the game. Wouldn't it be nice to see TD shooting 4 or 6 of those sweet 12 to 16 foot bank shots again? Duncan plays the four on offense and Splitter guards the four on defense. LET'S DO IT!!!

:flag::wakeup:flag::wakeup:flag:

Wilford Brimley
04-02-2011, 05:05 PM
This is not to mention seeing Timmy Duncan finishing his career the way he started it, as the best power forward to ever play the game. Wouldn't it be nice to see TD shooting 4 or 6 of those sweet 12 to 16 foot bank shots again? Duncan plays the four on offense and Splitter guards the four on defense. LET'S DO IT!!!

I'm sorry, but that just makes too much sense.

Jelloisjigglin
04-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Bonner is a better 3 point shooter though. I don't know why Spurfan is complaining. :huh

Bill_Brasky
04-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Yall niggas is dumb. Splitter =/= :lobt:

:lmao:lmao

And Bonner does?

Nobody is saying Splitter is the key to a championship. He could be a nice piece if he got more play, though.

Caeman
04-02-2011, 05:36 PM
This three-point shootingfest that Pop has the Spurs on this year has got to end. Need to attack the basket with PnR and kick it out when needed.

Have Tony and Tim go at it. Have Manu and Splitter go at it. Have GHill go back to working the endline too. If Tim and Splitter are both in the game, have Tim out at his sweet spot and Splitter work the open spaces under the basket.

Need to stay away from shooting the 3 all day.

Defense is a completely different subject, and I'm afraid there is no hope for that this year.

KaiRMD1
04-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Carnival!

BRs.Ganso
04-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Matt Bonner: (last 8 games 2-6)

MIN: 23,3
PTS: 6,5
REB: 3,8
FG%: 40,8%
3PT%: 29,2%
FT: 2/2

Splitter: (last 6 games when he played good minutes without Duncan)

MIN: 22,9
PTS: 9,0
REB: 8,0
FG%: 24/40 - 60,0%
FT: 6/17 - 35,2% (Nice FT numbers but bad % LOL)

Numbers don't lie, and Splitter defends 3x better than Bonner (who don't have inside the paint game, just 3 point shots)... Pop is much stubborn and overestimates his veteran players (like Bonner).

Strategic
04-02-2011, 05:46 PM
This three-point shootingfest that Pop has the Spurs on this year has got to end. Need to attack the basket with PnR and kick it out when needed.

Well said. Until the Spurs again prove that they have an inside scoring ability, the 3 point line will be heavily contested!

GabeIsGone
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM

But......but......this means that Timmy won't be banging in the post as much and might mean he stays healthier and prolongs his career. We can't be having any of this.:nope:nope

^from Pop's perspective

cherylsteele
04-02-2011, 06:04 PM
You won't get any argument from me that Tiago should be our 3rd big, and Bonner our 4th.He should be the 5th big, at best, behind Blair. I don't really consider him big.

BRs.Ganso
04-02-2011, 06:09 PM
c whata11

Its fun the FT difference between Tiago and Bonner

Bonner = 30 free throws ALL SEASON! YES!
Splitter = 130 free throws all season (68 converted, the double of Bonner's attempt)

is for laugh

Pop is a great coach, i have big respect for him... but he's TOOOOOO STUBBORN! OMG!

analyzed
04-02-2011, 06:32 PM
This articlle clearly illustrates that the Spurs decline and faith starts and ends with defense. Conicidently are decline in the defensive end has happend when Bonners minutes have increased over the season.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/04/02/statscube-spurs-d-in-decline/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

It doesen't take a genius to recognize the obvious , Bonner's extended minutes is causing are decline. Period !

ernest787
04-02-2011, 07:08 PM
i live in dallas and don't have league pass so i didnt get to see the games where splitter got major minutes, but i did see him for a short stint against Boston and in the short time he was on the floor he was completely out of position on defense and got beat bad and then got rejected by Delonte West when he was going up for a dunk.

i'm not saying those plays are indicative of who he is or who he is going to be, but I think those are 2 key examples of why he is not starting next to Timmy right now.

Bonner may not be the best defender out there but he is a decent team defender and rarely out of position on that end of the floor. He also may not be a force in the middle, but as much as everyone wants to laugh at it, Bonner does spread the floor and is a legit threat. Unfortunately, he is struggling with his shot right now, and has been famous for disappearing in the playoffs.

I think Splitter will be a big part of the team next year, I still don't believe he is/has been ready for the role that most of us wanted him to have this year.

PS the Bonner isn't the reason we are losing, poor team defense and NO ONE besides the big 3 contributing are the bigger concerns

BRs.Ganso
04-02-2011, 07:17 PM
i live in dallas and don't have league pass so i didnt get to see the games where splitter got major minutes, but i did see him for a short stint against Boston and in the short time he was on the floor he was completely out of position on defense and got beat bad and then got rejected by Delonte West when he was going up for a dunk.

i'm not saying those plays are indicative of who he is or who he is going to be, but I think those are 2 key examples of why he is not starting next to Timmy right now.

Bonner may not be the best defender out there but he is a decent team defender and rarely out of position on that end of the floor. He also may not be a force in the middle, but as much as everyone wants to laugh at it, Bonner does spread the floor and is a legit threat. Unfortunately, he is struggling with his shot right now, and has been famous for disappearing in the playoffs.

I think Splitter will be a big part of the team next year, I still don't believe he is/has been ready for the role that most of us wanted him to have this year.

PS the Bonner isn't the reason we are losing, poor team defense and NO ONE besides the big 3 contributing are the bigger concerns

so, resuming... you didn't watched Tiago.

Splitter: (last 6 games when he played good minutes without Duncan)

MIN: 22,9
PTS: 9,0
REB: 8,0
FG%: 24/40 - 60,0%

isn't good for you? He don't play because Pop don't want, he had 70 games to 'learn the system', Pop didn't because is stubborn. :lol

BRs.Ganso
04-02-2011, 08:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/omer_asik/game_by_game_stats.html

look this guy, he's a Rookie from Turkey, worse than Splitter, and is playing consistent minutes for Bulls... so this history of 'system' don't have sense at this moment. :toast

Slippy
04-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Again, Splitter for the limited mins he got , played great . Pop just has not trust in him for second halfs. Does not enter his mind that splitter is a viable option. Hard to figure out considering how comfortable Splitter is looking out there, to how he looked a few months ago. Even Balir showed his value last night . That's where Bonner's mins need to go.

Six straight losses is a good enough reason to adjust.

There will be team a meeting out of this. You can only hope one of the on-court leaders will speak out.

Strategic
04-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Some one make some T-Shirts and sell them at the I-35 exit.

Put Splitter on the floor
Let Timmy play the four
Play Matt and Jeff no more
Or we walk out the door

or

It's Tiago
or We Go

Threaten their :greedy, then back it up!!

cherylsteele
04-03-2011, 01:24 AM
splitter sucks. he looks like lurch out there getting schooled on offense and defense

at least bonner has the ability to hit 3 pointers, even if he's slumping
You obviously aren't watching games.
Splitter isn't getting schooled too much, not nearly as much as Bonner does on "D". Splitter has solid upside, Bonner on the other hand has peaked amd that is being generous.