PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts

Nathan89
04-03-2011, 03:02 AM
Since the Duncan injury the spurs have gone on a 6 game losing streak. A streak that no spurs fan would ever want to see but now that it has happened the optimism in spurs fans has fell to a all time low.

If we get the #1 seed the obvious advantage is home court advantage over the Lakers in the WCF. This is a significant advantage to some people but it really is not that big of an advantage. I strongly feel that the Spurs will be much better off going against the Lakers in the WCF after the Lakers have a tough 6 or 7 game series with the Thunder. At this point the ageing Lakers will be physically fatigued and primed to give up a game to mental lapse. Stealing a game on the Lakers home court will result in boosting the confidence of the Spurs increasing our chances of winning the series. As opposed to the probable loss of one of the first two games if the Spurs our the #1 seed and feeling like crap because they lost their big advantage they worked so hard to obtain.

Although Spurs are not playing so well right now the positive is the team is gaining from this experience. Pop is obtaining great material to coach his team which must be more receptive to his coaching now that times are getting rough. This rough stretch will with no doubt in my mind make the Spurs better in the playoffs than if they hadn't gone through this losing streak. The only possible negative is a slight drop in the confidence of the players on the team but that is nothing that can't be fixed with the remaining games.

On the topic of remaining games the Spurs will be facing the Lakers shortly. If Pop plays that game to win and we get blown out then that would be the time to give up almost all hope in the Spurs winning the title. However if the Spurs win that game or even make it a highly competitive game the Spurs will be on track for a deep playoff run. I want to stress the how pivotal this game will be.(of course it depends if pop tries to win the game or not)

TE
04-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Cool story.

On a serious note, it seems as if the hardest way to the finals would have to be a Grizzlies/Thunder/Lakers pathway. If we're to be the champs we got to beat the best.

analyzed
04-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Its not so much that we are losing games (heaps of them) and could loose HCA. But it's how we are playing relative to how LA is.

And based on what we've seen lately, we stand zero % chance of beating LA, not with the way we are playing defense and not with the way LA is playing. Do I like it , nope, but it's the truth ( can we handle the truth ?)

Nathan89
04-03-2011, 03:42 AM
Its not so much that we are losing games (heaps of them) and could loose HCA. But it's how we are playing relative to how LA is.

And based on what we've seen lately, we stand zero % chance of beating LA, not with the way we are playing defense and not with the way LA is playing. Do I like it , nope, but it's the truth ( can we handle the truth ?)

This is why the upcoming game against LA is so pivotal. As long as the game is highly competitive the players and fans will know that there is a chance.

Until this game comes though my message is that the losses are learning experience and the #1/#2 seeds both have there own advantages. The second seed likely being an even more favorable option for the Spurs.

Giuseppe
04-03-2011, 08:16 AM
The old "losing 6 games in-a-row is good thing" strategy.

It's so Phoenix Sun Fanish. But, then your team runnin' hither & yon jackin' up 3's every 7 seconds or less is further confirmation.

DMC
04-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Going into the playoffs with swagger because you didn't just blow a 7 game lead is more conducive to success than the gamble that LA will be fatigued enough to somehow give HCA back to the Spurs should they meet in the WCF. If HCA is that important, why would we not just take it up front, beat who we have to in the playoffs and go from there?

If the other Western playoff teams are that scary to the Spurs, they won't stand a chance against LA.

Basically the same group were swept by the fucking Suns last year. There's not going to be a magical unveiling of the "real" Spurs just in time for the victory dance. What you have when the Playoffs start is what you have, and what the Spurs have is Matt Bonner playing 30 minutes a game.