PDA

View Full Version : Pistons Vs. Spurs

PistonsNation
06-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Hi,
I'm confident the Pistons will continue to roll in game 7 and set up a Finals that is gonna be a joy for true basketball fans to behold.

I know Spurs fans are as classy as their team so It'll be fun talking about the series with you guys.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 07:52 AM
there was a pistons fan here just yesterday talking about how miami was going to steamroll you guys and how the refs were bad, etc. I think it's funny how much a difference 1 game can make huh?

Well welcome to the board, and you are right most of the posters here are well behaved.

PistonsNation
06-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Well, that dude sure wasn't me, and what kind of fan says his/her team is gonna lose?? Anyway, I've been behind the Pistons 110% since the 1987-88 season. You can NEVER count this Pistons team out.

Thanks for the welcome!

angel_luv
06-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Yea Detroit! Way to come back! Let the magic show continue while it can... cause not even your very best tricks will work against the Spurs. = )

alamo50
06-05-2005, 07:59 AM
So I guess you are working your Wade voodoo dolls?

ididnotnothat
06-05-2005, 08:09 AM
I'd love to see the Pistons in the finals again....but what does David Stern want? :angel

PistonsNation
06-05-2005, 08:11 AM
So I guess you are working your Wade voodoo dolls?

Not at all. I hope he's 100%, I'm tired of hearing all the reason why the Pistons got lucky. Injuries happen, it's sports, but people still wanna discredit the Pistons at every turn.

alamo50
06-05-2005, 08:19 AM
I like it that you want him to be 100%.
That's the Spurs mentality too.

But there is no way Detroit is gonna win IN MIAMI when Wade is playing.

NameDropper
06-05-2005, 08:21 AM
I like it that you want him to be 100%.
That's the Spurs mentality too.

But there is no way Detroit is gonna win IN MIAMI when Wade is playing.

Not if Stern has his way.

alamo50
06-05-2005, 08:23 AM
You realy think Stern would not want Shaq in the finals?
Not that I buy into that stuff, but just to follow up on your comment.

NameDropper
06-05-2005, 08:26 AM
You realy think Stern would not want Shaq in the finals?
Not that I buy into that stuff, but just to follow up on your comment.

My point was that Stern WANTS Miami so no way Detroit will win.

foodie2
06-05-2005, 08:48 AM
PistonsNation, is there a good active Pistons board that we can visit and read the fans' takes on the series?

AlamoSpursFan
06-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Well welcome to the board, and you are right most of the posters here are well behaved.

Speak for yourself. I'm a drunken jackass...

:lol

:drunk

PistonsNation
06-05-2005, 09:17 AM
PistonsNation, is there a good active Pistons board that we can visit and read the fans' takes on the series?

www.PistonsNation.com

We're fairly new (less than 1 month), but we're off to a great start. We'll be THE Pistons fan site before long, sorta like this one is for the Spurs.

cherylsteele
06-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Not at all. I hope he's 100%, I'm tired of hearing all the reason why the Pistons got lucky. Injuries happen, it's sports, but people still wanna discredit the Pistons at every turn.

That is the very reason I wish to play the Pistons in the finals......so when the Spurs win.....I am a fan:)....there will be no excuses of how they lost due to injuries to Shaq and Wade.

The Pistons are going to be more difficult matchup than the Heat IMHO.....they are deeper and a better balanced team.....in many ways are a mirror image of the Spurs and the way they play.

boutons
06-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Since this would be the Heat's first ever finals, or at least for every Heat, including Stan, except Shaq and Steve, no veteran NBA observer expects the youngish Heat to make the Finals against deep-playoff team/champion like the Pistons, or if the Heat make it, win the Finals on their first survival so deep in the playoffs. Something about "payin dues" first.

Sonia_TX
06-05-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm all for a Detroit v. San Antonio series. Bring on the Pistons. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
06-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Show them what it means to be a champion

d-wade nonstop
06-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Every says there has 2 be a superstar performance by d-wade or shaq 2 beat the pistons. That is sooooooooo not true. Look at game 5. Wade left in the 3rd quarter, 15 points. NOT A FACTOR AT ALL. Shaq 20 points (no superstar performance). Our bench is sooo underrated its not even funny. So are our starters (for except shaq and wade. The pistons are the most over rated team in the NBA and we will prove that with a win on monday (GUARANTEED)

HEAT IN 7

alamo50
06-05-2005, 11:45 AM

Than you should have said: "If Stern has his way".

duncan_21
06-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I've actually been pretty disappointed in the pistons this year. They should have won this series in 6 with wade and shaq healthy. The most disappointing thing I've seen is how sheed can't score. I thought he was a better player.

I can't believe that det struggled with the heat as injured as the heat are.

mavsfan1000
06-05-2005, 12:05 PM
There is no way Stern (or refs) will let Detroit win. That would be a nightmare for Stern and the league to see 2 defensive teams in the finals. I expect alot of bad calls in Miami. Homecourt is a different story for Miami. San Antonio without Duncan kept winning at home but road was a different story. Damon Jones and Eddie Jones play much better at home along with Keyon Dooling.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 12:58 PM
www.PistonsNation.com

We're fairly new (less than 1 month), but we're off to a great start. We'll be THE Pistons fan site before long, sorta like this one is for the Spurs.

Not a bad set up, is it a new format, I have never seen a forum that looks like that

Dex
06-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Right on. It's always nice to have fans of opposing teams around here to throw out some opposing viewpoints.

Just don't be an asshat when we scrub your guys in the Finals. :lol

Kidding. Here's hoping your boys manage to overcome the Mini-Sterns in Miami (much like we had to in our closer in Phoenix) and make their way back to rightfully defend the title. I still think that people are too quick to dismiss what is a very talented Pistons team, just because your team doesn't glimmer and chooses to keep under the radar, like San Antonio.

A Spurs-Pistons Finals would be great basketball to witness, if the last game between the two of the regular season is any sort of indicator.

Dex
06-05-2005, 01:00 PM
*damns R2D and his stupifyingly quick editing abilities*

Dario
06-05-2005, 01:41 PM
I like actually like heat team better, only because i've seen wade worked his ass off for every single win and i don't understand people that hate him just because he plays along shaq, although detroit team will be much much more difficult for spurs to beat.
As for stern helping heat bullshit, some of you are full of crap and you know it...

mavsfan1000
06-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Why do people keep underating the Miami Heat? They won 59 games and would've won more if Shaq was healthy. Wade is a cool guy but Shaq is a punk so I'll root for Detroit. They have a 2 superstars if healthy can exploit any teams defense. If not healthy than San Antonio wins.

boutons
06-05-2005, 01:56 PM
"won 59 games"

... just like Pacers' 61 Ws last year, half the Heat schedule against the sucky East.

Look it up, the Heat had a terrible road record against the WC.

duncan_21
06-05-2005, 01:57 PM
"won 59 games"

... just like Pacers' 61 Ws last year, half the Heat schedule against the sucky East.

Look it up, the Heat had a terrible road record against the WC.

ditto

1Parker1
06-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Every says there has 2 be a superstar performance by d-wade or shaq 2 beat the pistons. That is sooooooooo not true. Look at game 5. Wade left in the 3rd quarter, 15 points. NOT A FACTOR AT ALL. Shaq 20 points (no superstar performance). Our bench is sooo underrated its not even funny. So are our starters (for except shaq and wade. The pistons are the most over rated team in the NBA and we will prove that with a win on monday (GUARANTEED)

HEAT IN 7

That's just blatant homerism talking. Pistons are the defending champs, and here they are again going to a game 7 in the WCF the next year, how the hell can they be over-rated??

Hell, even the Spurs get more attention then the Pistons!

Extra Stout
06-05-2005, 03:11 PM
The only Heat player who can comprehend the intensity that will be needed to win Monday night is Shaq.

I think Dwyane Wade is terrific, but even if he were healthy, he'd be in over his head.

The only caveat for Detroit is that they seem to lack the consistent mental focus they had last year. I attribute that to the distraction of having their coach trying to manage another franchise while still coaching them (disgraceful.)

In a prospective Finals series, the Pistons match up better with the Spurs than the Heat do. The Spurs just got finished showing everybody how to contain a team by letting their top two players get their points, but shutting down everybody else. Against SA, Eddie Jones, Damon Jones, Udonis Haslem, Rasual Butler, Keyon Dooling, and Zo would disappear. Shaq and Wade might go for 55 a night, but the other guys would be lucky to score 30 combined. They might do better at AA Arena once or twice, but they won't do it enough to win 4 out 7, or even 3 probably. And Miami's defense, while better than what Phoenix showed, won't take enough away from the Spurs to hold them below 90 very often.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi,
I'm confident the Pistons will continue to roll in game 7 and set up a Finals that is gonna be a joy for true basketball fans to behold.

I know Spurs fans are as classy as their team so It'll be fun talking about the series with you guys.

Welcome to the forum. I still don't know if the Pistons will beat Miami in a Game 7 -- but good luck.

mavsfan1000
06-05-2005, 03:21 PM
The only Heat player who can comprehend the intensity that will be needed to win Monday night is Shaq.

I think Dwyane Wade is terrific, but even if he were healthy, he'd be in over his head.

The only caveat for Detroit is that they seem to lack the consistent mental focus they had last year. I attribute that to the distraction of having their coach trying to manage another franchise while still coaching them (disgraceful.)

In a prospective Finals series, the Pistons match up better with the Spurs than the Heat do. The Spurs just got finished showing everybody how to contain a team by letting their top two players get their points, but shutting down everybody else. Against SA, Eddie Jones, Damon Jones, Udonis Haslem, Rasual Butler, Keyon Dooling, and Zo would disappear. Shaq and Wade might go for 55 a night, but the other guys would be lucky to score 30 combined. They might do better at AA Arena once or twice, but they won't do it enough to win 4 out 7, or even 3 probably. And Miami's defense, while better than what Phoenix showed, won't take enough away from the Spurs to hold them below 90 very often.
Detroit would totally get shut downed by San Antonio's defense. True San Antonio did shutdown most of Phoenix's 3 point threat but they still scored 103 points a game. Why would Miami's role players all of a sudden disappear. Detroit plays very good defense in yet Miami for most of this series are still scoring.
Wade is very mentally tough in big games. He hit the winning shot last year.
San Antonio will have to outscore Miami kinda like Phoenix except Miami plays better defense.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 07:06 PM
*damns R2D and his stupifyingly quick editing abilities*

yeah that was a totally bs question the bills forum i am a member of is the same format, but hey I've been here a while and learn fast.

MadDog73
06-05-2005, 10:10 PM

HEAT IN 7

Hey, I have no problem with you being a Heat fan, but why does your team say Spurs?

mavsfan1000
06-05-2005, 10:42 PM
The phone just rang. Stern just told the officials to give Miami the game. Bailout D. Wade, let Shaq run over players, call ghost offenive fouls on Detroit, and get the Pistons front line in foul trouble. :pctoss

ducks
06-05-2005, 10:43 PM
like I posted in another thread
refs WILL NOT DECIDED GAME 7

myhc
06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Why do people keep underating the Miami Heat? They won 59 games and would've won more if Shaq was healthy. Wade is a cool guy but Shaq is a punk so I'll root for Detroit. They have a 2 superstars if healthy can exploit any teams defense. If not healthy than San Antonio wins.

I just saw a poll on msnbc and it was 53-47% in favor of the Heat. If anything, people are underating the freakin defending champs.

ducks
06-05-2005, 11:11 PM
The Heat do have some historical trends on their side.

In Game 7 history, the home team is 74-16. And teams that have been blown out in Game 6s rarely have let that letdown carry over.

Over the last 40 years, there have been 17 instances of teams taking 3-2 leads into Game 6 and losing by more than 15 points. But 15 of those teams came back to win Game 7, including O'Neal's Orlando Magic in the 1995 Eastern Conference finals.http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-pistons-heat&prov=ap&type=lgns

cherylsteele
06-06-2005, 02:40 PM

And Phoenix won 62 games....so your point is?.......

mavsfan1000
06-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Phoenix has some major defensive deficiencies which San Antoni exploited with Duncan. Miami is bigger and have a growing superstar in Wade. They are better than Phoenix.

5ToolMan
06-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Does your statement demonstrate as fact that Stern wanted the Spurs in the finals? If not, think hard about why they are called conspiracy nuts.

cherylsteele
06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Phoenix has some major defensive deficiencies which San Antoni exploited with Duncan. Miami is bigger and have a growing superstar in Wade. They are better than Phoenix.

But you brought up their record as a basis for your argument......Pheoneix may well have won more if Nas wasn't hurt a few games.......so....like I said before....what is your point?

mavsfan1000
06-06-2005, 06:12 PM
The inside out style in the playoffs have proven to be effective unlike the run and gun style. Miami's style works better. Their record is a bonus of how good they are.

ALVAREZ6
06-06-2005, 06:16 PM
In less than 1 hour, game 7 of the EC Finals tips off....and I still don't know which team I would rather face in the finals...

mavsfan1000
06-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Detroit has no inside threats but Miami does. Miami vs. San Antonio would be a more interesting final but I would like Shaq to lose one way or another.

FromWayDowntown
06-06-2005, 06:35 PM
As a Spurs fan, I think I would prefer to see the Heat, but a matchup with either of these teams is looking like a complete bitch.

I don't like the way the Spurs matchup with the Pistons, for reasons that have existed for some time. Parker has historically struggled with bigger, stronger points who are offensive minded (Marbury, for example) and Billups fits that mold to a T. The Pistons are capable of putting Tayshawn Prince, a big-time defender who is very long, on Manu and forcing Manu to become a jump shooter with an in-between game, neither of which are his forte. The Pistons can put their poorest defender, Rip Hamilton (whose pretty damned good at times) on Bowen. Most importantly, they have the most effective Duncan stopper in the NBA right now, Rasheed Wallace, on their roster, and guys like Ben Wallace and McDyess who can spell 'Sheed for stretches with either a defensive improvement or without huge defensive drop offs. I do, however, think that Big Dog could be a key piece if the Spurs play the Pistons.

I think the Spurs can defend the Pistons over the course of a series, but I'm not all that enthused about the Spurs trying to score on the Pistons in that setting. It's going to be difficult, should it come to pass.

I also think that the Spurs have some matchup issues with Miami -- particularly the perrenial issue of defending Shaq. The Miami attack strikes me as presenting better matchups for Parker and Duncan, and probably for Manu, though the easy drives to the lane are going to be a thing of the past unless Nazr or Rasho becomes a sudden offensive force. Bowen can check Wade, which leaves Manu to deal with Eddie Jones and Parker to deal with Damon. I like the Spurs chances with those matchups. The key in that series would be, I think, what the Heat could get from guys like Haslem, Mourning, Laettner, and Rasual Butler -- can those guys provide more for the Heat than the combination of Bowen, Mohammed, Horry and Barry provide for the Spurs? It will be interesting to see.

The_Game
06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Detroit has no inside threats but Miami does. Miami vs. San Antonio would be a more interesting final but I would like Shaq to lose one way or another.

detroit have no inside threats? do you even watch basketball? they have way more than the heat

wallace and wallace, mcdyess and even campbell can bang downlow....

mavsfan1000
06-06-2005, 07:33 PM
They are rebounders but they don't force a double team like Shaq or Duncan do . Already 2 bad calls going against Detroit.

mrpach
06-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Mabe Pistons match wee against the spurs defensively but i cant imagine wallaces having all those dunks against the spurs, put bowen on hamilton and youll practically shut down their offense.
Spurs offense>Pistons Offense

mavsfan1000
06-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Mabe Pistons match wee against the spurs defensively but i cant imagine wallaces having all those dunks against the spurs, put bowen on hamilton and youll practically shut down their offense.
Spurs offense>Pistons Offense
That's what I'm saying. Put Spurs defense on Pistons offense = shutout

E20
06-06-2005, 08:30 PM
We get defensive matchups that are hard to play against the Pistons.

dcole50
06-06-2005, 08:43 PM
welcome to the board.

i'll admit that as a spurs fan i am rooting for the heat since i think they're a softer team. detroit, on the other hand, is very physical and committed to suffocating defense.

i expect a pistons/spurs final as well. glad to see a cool detroit fan.

mavsfan1000
06-06-2005, 08:43 PM
We get defensive matchups that are hard to play against the Pistons.
Billups is not as aggresive as Marbury so you can't say they are similar. Billups just likes to shoot 3's and rarely post up. If you post him up than you take away your best 3 point shooter and the spacing won't be good.

FromWayDowntown
06-06-2005, 09:59 PM
The Pistons are also cold-blooded playoff KILLERS.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Damn... I wanted Miami

Sense
06-06-2005, 10:07 PM
It's the 2 best teams in the nba...don't talk about records..

Let's hope for the best and lets hope the best team wins..

I'm pretty sure u know who that is.

Vashner
06-06-2005, 10:08 PM
We need everyone to make posters "Hey sheed... YOUR MAMMA! haha"

To get him in foul / suspension trouble.