PDA

View Full Version : Pick and Roll

remingtonbo2001
04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Do we rely on the Pick N' Roll too often? It seems like opponents are doing a better job of guarding against it.

MannyIsGod
04-03-2011, 01:03 PM
The pick and roll is basketballs oldest and most reliable play. It should be their staple with the bigs we have. No, we don't run it to much and no teams haven't suddenly figured out how to guard it after decades of not being able to.

remingtonbo2001
04-03-2011, 01:07 PM
True. It seems there are times when we try to force it.

ShoogarBear
04-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Pick and Roll >>> Jacking up threes.

TD 21
04-03-2011, 04:39 PM
There is no "figuring out" pick-and-roll. It's about making a choice, depending on what defense you're in (hard hedge, soft show, show and recover, etc.). That's why it's a read-and-react set. The offense reads the defense, then takes what they give them. They'll always be something open, whether it's the roller/popper, a spot up three-point shooter, or, if the ball handler isn't stopped and is allowed to turn the corner, a floater/layup.

Are the Spurs overly reliant on it? At times, yes, just like a lot of teams. But they have excellent personnel for it and it generally produces good offense.

cherylsteele
04-03-2011, 04:42 PM
You do have to pick the right times you use it, if it is working keep using it, until the other team figures it out. It is all about the right decisions when executing it.

ColinB
04-03-2011, 11:33 PM
It would be a lot more effective if George Hill understood how it worked.

Dex
04-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Well there's always Four Down.

GSH
04-04-2011, 12:47 AM
I expect some people to howl like banshees... but Tim's mobility isn't what it used to be. (Did I say that nice enough?) And it cuts into the effectiveness of the pick and roll. It's still a bread and butter play, and the Spurs should be running it (at least) as much as they do. But the defense has a little bit better chance to react than they used to. And I'm not talking just about foot speed. He's not scoring as many different ways as he used to. And that means not as many different looks for the defenders to worry about. (And he's never been a guy who would launch from outside the restricted circle and throw it down.) That's the reason a lot more balls are getting kicked out, and why Tony is taking a lot more of them to the rim himself. I love Timmy, but even he isn't immune to age.

Still - the answer to the OP question. No.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-04-2011, 01:28 AM
ok guys tiago ius getting points the only way pop lets them , go for the scraps no intended serving of the ball to splitter no pick and roll yet hes still all over games just think about how good this guys is going to be after this summer "hopefully"

anyway i dont care if we do it 30 times ina arow (like phoX. when amare and nash tortured us with it hahaha.. tiago and manu ooooooooo 4get about it

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Every NBA team runs a lot of pick and roll..the Lakers just won 2 straight titles with their go-to set being the Gasol-Kobe pick & roll, in various forms of the triangle..

Cane
04-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Do we rely on the Pick N' Roll too often? It seems like opponents are doing a better job of guarding against it.

Hopefully it'll get better as Duncan keeps shaking off the rust and as the Big 3 get more opportunities/minutes come playoffs time. In the past two games before the Suns, Duncan made too many turnovers (8) but had none against the Suns. It'd also help if Parker could find his midrange touch again but he's shown that he's still got that extra gear to get to the rim which should be huge in the playoffs especially against the slow starting PG's on the Mavs, Lakers, etc.

pawe
04-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Manu, TD and TP have high bb iqs so pick and roll is the best way to go for them. It gives the ball handler more options and Manu and TP are two of the best NBA players in quick decision making.