PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are Silas' pick to clutch trophy

spurs_naby20
06-05-2005, 07:57 AM
David Flores: Spurs are Silas' pick to clutch trophy
Web Posted: 06/04/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/dflores/stories/MYSA060405.1C.COL.BKNflores.2dc8386e2.html

San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs will win their third NBA title in seven seasons this month because they have the best team — and the best team usually prevails in the playoffs.

If that's not enough for you, no less of an authority than former Spurs point guard James Silas agrees with the premise.

"My opinion of the Spurs has been the same throughout the season," Silas said Friday. "They're the best team in the league, offensively and defensively, and have maybe the best player in the league in Tim Duncan.

"I don't think it matters who they play in the finals. I'm going to take the Spurs."

Considering how San Antonio handled Phoenix in the Western Conference finals ? going 3-0 on the road ? it's not like Silas and yours truly are going out on a limb.

Still, Detroit is the defending NBA champion and Miami has Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade.

True, O'Neal and Wade are playing with injuries. But even if they're hurt, O'Neal and Wade are a lot better than a bunch of other guys in the league.

Miami leads the Eastern Conference finals 3-2 and visits Detroit today.

"I look at both of those teams out of the East as being pretty much equal," said Silas, who has lived in Austin for the past nine years. "They're very tough teams, but I think the Spurs do a great job of taking people out of their games.

"The Western Conference has a reputation for running and gunning and playing no defense, but the Spurs are the exception. They can run and gun or play a half-court game, and they play great defense."

I learned long ago that you never pass up an opportunity to talk basketball with Silas, who played with the Spurs from 1973-81. Then, as now, he was always up front and easy to talk with ? regardless of the situation.

I ran into him last week at Incarnate Word's Wellness Center, where he was watching some pickup games, and we spoke again Friday.

Silas, 56, always will be known as "Captain Late" by Spurs fans who relish the memories of his uncanny ability to hit game-winning shots consistently.

An affable guy with a quick smile and firm handshake, Silas remains one of the most popular players in franchise history. He's an ardent Spurs fan and follows the NBA closely.

Silas praised coach Gregg Popovich for molding the Spurs into a cohesive unit.

"What I think Pop and his staff have been able to do is make everybody on the team comfortable with their roles," said Silas, who works with the Athlete Services Network and coordinates Austin's Midnite Basketball League. "To me, that's the key to being successful in the NBA."

Silas averaged 17 points and 4.3 assists a game during his eight-year career with the Spurs, who traded him to Cleveland in June 1981. His jersey number, 13, is among four that have been retired by the Spurs.

Silas marvels at the skills of another player who will have his jersey hanging from the rafters someday.

"Tim Duncan has a complete game and he knows what it takes to win," Silas said. "I would have loved to have played with him. Tim is on a mission. The two championships he's won, he won with David Robinson on the team.

"I think he wants to prove that he can win one by himself, or being the guy out front. But he does all that by being a team player. He doesn't have to score a lot of points to be happy."

Silas said he has enjoyed watching point guard Tony Parker, who turned 23 last month, continue to mature.

"I've always said that Tim is the body of the team and Tony is the head of the snake," Silas said. "If the snake's head is focused, that's when he's most dangerous. I thought he stepped up and hit some big shots in the last game with Phoenix."

Silas chuckled when I asked him to evaluate Manu Ginobili's game.

"Ginobili is a combination of everything," he said. "The guy is strong, he's smart and he loves to play. When you mix all that with good players and good coaches, you have a very special player. He comes out and plays every night. That's why he's so popular with the fans."

Silas couldn't end our conversation without talking about Robert Horry, arguably the greatest clutch shooter in NBA playoff history.

"The guy is amazing," Silas said. "Just when you think you have a chance to win it, he'll stick that dagger in your heart."

Captain Late would know about that.

SenorSpur
06-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Snake has always been a good guy and is very proud of his Spurs heritage - like most all ex-Spurs players.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-05-2005, 04:49 PM
"Tim Duncan has a complete game and he knows what it takes to win," Silas said. "I would have loved to have played with him. Tim is on a mission. The two championships he's won, he won with David Robinson on the team.

"I think he wants to prove that he can win one by himself, or being the guy out front. But he does all that by being a team player. He doesn't have to score a lot of points to be happy."
Help me out here! If he's out to prove that he can win a championship all by himself, and yet he does this by being a team player... doesn't that mean... LOL nevermind, I know what he meant. Still I agree that Timmy is the best player in the NBA, but I really don't think he could have made it this far without the contributions of Tony and Manu. So if Timmy is on a mission to prove that he can win a championship without David, he's gonna have yet another mission trying to prove that he can't win without Tony or Manu, one mission that he'll probably never be able to accomplish.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Try to title your thread appropriately and post the link of the article next time.

Thanks.