PDA

View Full Version : Cliching HCA

PopRocks
04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Looking at our schedule, the Lakers, and Bulls, what are the realistic senarios needed to get HCA wrapped up?

What's the magic number?

ajballer4
04-03-2011, 02:52 PM
There was a magic number thread but its been a while since its been bumped

DesignatedT
If we win the next 3 games and the Lakers lose 2 out of the next 5 then the Spurs clinch before the matchup in LA on April 12. That would be the perfect scenario. Lakers still play Denver, OKC and Portland before us so if they could drop 2 out of those 3 then we will be sitting pretty.

Chicago still plays BOS, ORL and NY.

TXstbobcat
magic number is 2 to clinch the #2 seed and the division and 5 to clinch the #1 seed in the west.

Dex
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Magic number to beat Lakers/Chicago is currently 5 with 5 games left (not counting tiebreakers).

honestfool84
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
If we win the next 3 games and the Lakers lose 2 out of the next 5 then the Spurs clinch before the matchup in LA on April 12. That would be the perfect scenario. Lakers still play Denver, OKC and Portland before us so if they could drop 2 out of those 3 then we will be sitting pretty.

Chicago still plays BOS, ORL and NY.

suddenly, the Spurs winning 3 out of 5 looks a little daunting!

but if they keep it up the way they played today, i'll take my chances.

timtonymanu
04-03-2011, 02:56 PM
If Portland beats Dallas today, wouldnt we clinch the division?

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
If Portland beats Dallas today, wouldnt we clinch the division?

Yes. I believe. Since we have the tie-breaker over them as well.

timtonymanu
04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Yes. I believe. Since we have the tie-breaker over them as well.

Sweet. Let's go Portland.

TXstbobcat
04-03-2011, 03:07 PM
magic number is 2 to clinch the #2 seed and the division and 5 to clinch the #1 seed in the west.

correction to my previous post. 1 to clinch the #2 seed and the division.

For one night I will be a blazers fan.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
We can wrap it up without beating LA if they lose to either DEN or OKC, and we win the next three and the last one vs PHO. Judging by the horrible calls an no calls in the Denver game (phantom rim touch, re awarded to LAL, Fisher arm chuck and three pointer no offensive foul call) we're going to have to beat LA to get the West. Good luck with that.

mytespurs
04-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm not thinking seeding......I'm looking 1 game @ a time-spurs won 1 game today-I'm hoping they win the nxt one

GrandeDavid
04-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Need to win every game, including and especially at LA. Confidence will be shattered if Spurs get rolled and toyed with by LA again.

Giuseppe
04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
So righteous to see Spurs Fan all delicate & stoic. Compartmentalizing everything.

You're all so adorable at 1 & 6.

tdunk21
04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Need to win every game, including and especially at LA. Confidence will be shattered if Spurs get rolled and toyed with by LA again.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm not thinking seeding......I'm looking 1 game @ a time-spurs won 1 game today-I'm hoping they win the nxt one

We'll probably win the next three. It might be a mercy if we dropped one. We'd be out of the #1 race and Pop could then sit Tim and rehab that ankle. As it is, it's like peeling a scab slowly: we have almost no chance, but Pop won't sit people until we are out of it, and that may not be until after game #81.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
So righteous to see Spurs Fan all delicate & stoic. Compartmentalizing everything.

You're all so adorable at 1 & 6.

Shut the fuck up and go back downstairs where you belong, trash.

Giuseppe
04-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Team: New York Knicks

:lmao

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Team: New York Knicks

:lmao

Don't make me roll over and tap your mama on the shoulder to deal with you. Shoo!!

TampaDude
04-03-2011, 03:58 PM
What sucks is that the Spurs lost at least 3 games they should have won. HCA should be clinched already, or damn close to it.

Budkin
04-03-2011, 04:03 PM
If we win every game but the Lakers one and they lose once, will we get it?

ajballer4
04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
If the Lakers win out, and we only lose to LA, they have the tiebreaker, correct?

Budkin
04-03-2011, 04:19 PM
If the Lakers win out, and we only lose to LA, they have the tiebreaker, correct?

I think so yeah.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Spurs need to clinch before the LA game. That way we can start resting and give our guys a whole 7 days of before the start of the playoffs.

Giuseppe
04-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Don't make me roll over and tap your mama on the shoulder to deal with you. Shoo!!

She's probably mighty ripe. She's been dead over 10 years. Knock yerself out though.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 04:21 PM

It would go to conference record and they would have the tie-breaker in that scenario.

TampaDude
04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
The 4/12 game went from meaningless to the whole fucking season in one week. Amazing.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
The 4/12 game went from meaningless to the whole fucking season in one week. Amazing.

Not necessarily. It's not like LA is guaranteed to beat Denver, OKC and POR in the next week. Those are tough games. If they drop a game or 2 then were back in the drivers seat.

Hoops Czar
04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Not necessarily. It's not like LA is guaranteed to beat Denver, OKC and POR in the next week. Those are tough games. If they drop a game or 2 then were back in the drivers seat.

Those loses mean noting unless the Spurs continue to win.

boutons_deux
04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Den +7 in 3rd qtr, tied going into 4th.

It's all-KoMe-all-the-time time, make those grimaces, clinch those fists, punch the air, stick out the tongue, chew that gum go full Hollywood with all the authenticity of stage props.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 04:33 PM
She's probably mighty ripe. She's been dead over 10 years. Knock yerself out though.

Damn, I'm sorry.

She said she liked it rough. Bitches...

TampaDude
04-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Those losses mean nohting unless the Spurs continue to win.

Sad but true. The Spurs could easily lose all the rest of their regular season games.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Sad but true. The Spurs could easily lose all the rest of their regular season games.

Lol the Spurs could easily lose to sacramento and utah at home? Are you being serious right now? Atlanta has potential to beat us but no way we lose to Sac and Utah and doubt we lose to Atl as well.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
well lakers lost to denver. so i guess they aren't going undefeated as most predicted here..

Budkin
04-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Only game we're most likely going to lose is against LA.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Wow. Denver does us a HUGE solid. We now don't have to beat LA to be #1.

Russ
04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Beat Atlanta!!!!

honestfool84

you are pathetic.

you go from being a solid Spurs fan to losing all faith in them.

making up your fricking mind, stupid bandwagon fan.

Dex
Magic number against Lakers is now 4 with 5 games left. :tu

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Only game we're most likely going to lose is against LA.

If we win against Atl, Sac, and Utah and the Lakers lose 1 out of the next 4 games (they still have POR and OKC) then we clinch before the LA game therefore it means nothing. That's what we need to happen.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Nice. Now I'm going to patiently wait all these fakers fans to apologize here.

ajballer4
04-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Lol @ Kobe bitching for foul calls all day. Wilson Chandler was playing great D.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Actually as soon as I saw Kobe was taking all the shots I knew they were going to lose

Solid D
04-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Wilson Chandler was playing great D.

I did not expect the Lakers to lose to Denver. We should have seen it coming though. Denver is playing great and nobody has really learned what they are dealing with yet with this new Nuggets team.

TXstbobcat
04-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I guess the Lakers aren't as invincible as espn and everyone else thought they were. Thank you Denver Nuggets!!!!!

honestfool84
04-03-2011, 05:20 PM
what really pissed me off were the ABC announcers complaining about Kenyon Martin's attitude when he walked down the court after making that last minute free throw put back. Kobe Bryant would have done the EXACT same thing and ABC would have just :stfu and applaud his "desire to win".

crc21209
04-03-2011, 05:20 PM
If we win against Atl, Sac, and Utah and the Lakers lose 1 out of the next 4 games (they still have POR and OKC) then we clinch before the LA game therefore it means nothing. That's what we need to happen.

This. The Spurs just have to handle their business these next 3 games and sit back and see if the Lakers lose to Portland or OKC....

SpurOutofTownFan
04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
what really pissed me off were the ABC announcers complaining about Kenyon Martin's attitude when he walked down the court after making that last minute free throw put back. Kobe Bryant would have done the EXACT same thing and ABC would have just :stfu and applaud his "desire to win".

I agree. Artest does that all the time and the rest as well. "Welcome to the NBA" as the other commentator said...

EricB
04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
What's the new magic number?

Hoops Czar
04-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Lol the Spurs could easily lose to sacramento and utah at home? Are you being serious right now? Atlanta has potential to beat us but no way we lose to Sac and Utah and doubt we lose to Atl as well.

Yeah, the two games against Portland and the one against Houston were really gimmes. The last time they played Sacramento, they won by five at home. Boston couldn't win a game either until they played the Spurs. I wouldn't get too over confident because they beat a crap team without their best player at home.

honestfool84
04-03-2011, 05:23 PM

correct me if i'm wrong, but if the Lakers and Spurs win out all the rest of the games (minus the Spurs losing to the Lakers), then we still clinch HCA throughout.... right?

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 05:23 PM

Or Artest and his biceps kissing routine.

honestfool84
04-03-2011, 05:25 PM
I agree. Artest does that all the time and the rest as well. "Welcome to the NBA" as the other commentator said...

Or Artest and his biceps kissing routine.

exactly. that's a bunch of BS. you could hear the disappointment in their voices as Martin made that shot.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 05:26 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but if the Lakers and Spurs win out all the rest of the games (minus the Spurs losing to the Lakers), then we still clinch HCA throughout.... right?

Yup. Magic # is 4 with 5 to go. LA just lost their WC record tie breaker. He was talking about wrapping it up before the Laker game. Nice, bu not necessary, IMHO.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah, the two games against Portland and the one against Houston were really gimmes. The last time they played Sacramento, they won by five at home. Boston couldn't win a game either until they played the Spurs. I wouldn't get too over confident because they beat a crap team without their best player at home.

You're comparing Portland and Houston on the road (one of those games without duncan) to Sacramento and Utah at home. I guarantee that we win both those games and by double digits.

tdunk21
04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
2 and a half games lead with 5 games to go......

anyone know how many wins we need for HCA throughout ?

ajballer4
04-03-2011, 05:28 PM

My thoughts exactly. I've been saying the Lakers have something coming to them with all that show off crap and bicep-kissing

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Correct but that puts the pressure on us having to win the last game of the season on a b2b in phoenix. Still likely but would rather clinch before the LA game so that game means nothing and we can start resting.

crc21209
04-03-2011, 05:29 PM
You're comparing Portland and Houston on the road (one of those games without duncan) to Sacramento and Utah at home. I guarantee that we win both those games and by double digits.

+1. The only game that seems like a toss-up is the Atlanta one. Atlanta is a weird team at home. They've been blown out at home by 20+ points about 4-5 times this season, but lately have beaten the Magic and Celtics at home too....

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:31 PM
+1. The only game that seems like a toss-up is the Atlanta one. Atlanta is a weird team at home. They've been blown out at home by 20+ points about 4-5 times this season, but lately have beaten the Magic and Celtics at home too....

I agree. If we can win Tuesday then we will be sitting pretty because I don't see us dropping games to Sacramento or Utah at home.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Correct but that puts the pressure on us having to win the last game of the season on a b2b in phoenix. Still likely but would rather clinch before the LA game so that game means nothing and we can start resting.

If OKC or POR obliges, then we can. Otherwise, you throw the Laker game with scrubs, and go all out vs PHO.

temujin
04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Lakers went down when Bynum was sidelined.

Impressed by the Nuggets.

The OKC-Denver is going to be a heck of a series.

kjhip1
04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
My thoughts exactly. I've been saying the Lakers have something coming to them with all that show off crap and bicep-kissing

I really dont like Marc Jackson or his commentating but he gave Mike Breen the business...seemed like Breen was getting all butt hurt because Kenyon Martin was speaking the truth to LA fans courtside...I believe Marc said "welcome to the NBA" to Breen.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:33 PM
If OKC or POR obliges, then we can. Otherwise, you throw the Laker game with scrubs, and go all out vs PHO.

I agree, but still a risky scenario to put yourself into. Lets just win Tuesday and hope OKC or POR can beat LA.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I agree, but still a risky scenario to put yourself into. Lets just win Tuesday and hope OKC or POR can beat LA.

One of them has to. We can't do it ourselves before the LAL game. You also don't want to go all out in LA, fall short, and have to win exhausted on a B2B.

Pauleta14
04-03-2011, 05:37 PM

this.

... was what I was going to post...:toast

Marco
04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
In any case, our destiny is in our hands, no matter how you spin it.

boutons_deux
04-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Spurs only 1 L ahead of Bulls, who will probably win ECF HCA.

Bulls have playoffs teams Celts, @Magic, @Knicks remaining

Mugen
04-03-2011, 05:40 PM
HC is nice and all but the best shot this team has to go to the finals is fall to the 2nd seed and pray that OKC beats LA cuz we aren't doing it.

Pauleta14
04-03-2011, 05:40 PM

This is not a "must win" game for atlanta, they are 4 games ahead and 4 games short to move spot...

Doesn't mean a W, but at least the crownd won't be crazy a la Portland..

timtonymanu
04-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I really dont like Marc Jackson or his commentating but he gave Mike Breen the business...seemed like Breen was getting all butt hurt because Kenyon Martin was speaking the truth to LA fans courtside...I believe Marc said "welcome to the NBA" to Breen.

This

That was the only time I liked Marc Jackson. Butthurt Breen's team does that shit all the time. Artest, Kobe for example but he never says anything.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:43 PM
\ You also don't want to go all out in LA, fall short, and have to win exhausted on a B2B.

Exactly. That would be an interesting couple of days, that's for sure :lol I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Da Spurs
04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
To be safe, we need to win them all. If we win all but the Lakers, and the Bulls win out. We will be tied with them. We don't look so good in the inter-conference tiebreakers. We tie head to head and tie in conference play. So then we would lose with the record against conference playoff teams.

DesignatedT
04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
To be safe, we need to win them all. If we win all but the Lakers, and the Bulls win out. We will be tied with them. We don't look so good in the inter-conference tiebreakers. We tie head to head and tie in conference play. So then we would lose with the record against conference playoff teams.

If we win every game but the Lakers game we still get HCA, it wouldn't be tied.

roycrikside
04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
HCA is on our racquet again. Denver really helped us out.

Beat Utah, beat Atlanta, beat Sacto, rest EVERYONE at LA (I wouldn't even show them Splitter. I would call up Green from the D-League and play him 40 minutes along with Novak, Quinn, Anderson and Blair). Then, go all out and win against a disinterested Suns team in Game 82 and clinch it.

04-03-2011, 05:51 PM
not really worried about getting HCA against the bulls. i doubt they will make it out of the east.

ducks
04-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Spurs only 1 L ahead of Bulls, who will probably win ECF HCA.

Bulls have playoffs teams Celts, @Magic, @Knicks remaining

bulls should lose one of those games

GrandeDavid
04-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Huge solid done for the Spurs by the Nuggs. Kenyon Martin, from my alma mater, Cincinnati, with a huge put back on a missed free throw. Spurs can breathe again. But I think they need to win out for momentum's sake.

Pauleta14
04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
bulls should lose one of those games

The Bulls won't reach the finals anyway...

(lack of "been there, done that" from both players and coaches)

ducks
04-03-2011, 06:05 PM
bulls have played boston tough in years past
rose is better this year
if noah and boozer healthy
they will go to finals

heat have some players that been that far but not as a team
boston has experience
magic please

cd98
04-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Where are all the Laker threads? Is it bc they choked at home to Denver?

Mugen
04-03-2011, 06:13 PM
if the Spurs actually get past the Lakers in the West then it doesnt matter who we play in the Finals and whether we have court or not...the Spurs are bringing home #5.

Fabbs
04-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Most def pull for Celtics against the Bulls on Thursday.

Pauleta14
04-03-2011, 06:16 PM
In theory and based on season production, I agree with you ducks, but I can't recall a such unexperienced team (players AND coach) going to the finals...

maybe I overestimate it, but to me, experience is as much a factor as D or matchups during the PO.

ducks
04-03-2011, 06:37 PM
true

But I do hope bulls come out of east

I think the inexperience factor will be huge disadvange for them in the finals though

TD 21
04-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I've been reluctant to include the Bulls in the conversation as legit title contenders, because of their lack of experience/secondary shot creator. But I'll say this: I thought all season that the Celtics would come out of the East (though I never ruled out the Heat). Now, with Perkins traded, if O'Neal (Shaq) can't play in the playoffs, or is out of game shape/rhythm by the second round, they could be in trouble. Barring an injury to one of their big four, I won't dismiss them, but I'm no longer sold on them coming out of the East. Either way, I still think the likely champion comes out of the West, whether it's the Spurs or the Lakers.

Hoops Czar
04-03-2011, 06:55 PM
if the Spurs actually get past the Lakers in the West then it doesnt matter who we play in the Finals and whether we have court or not...the Spurs are bringing home #5.

I would love to hear your theory on this without bringing up 2007.. 0-2 vs Boston, 1-1 vs Chicago, 1-1 vs Miami

TampaDude
04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
you are pathetic.

you go from being a solid Spurs fan to losing all faith in them.

making up your fricking mind, stupid bandwagon fan.

Dude, chill the fuck out. I didn't say I thought the Spurs would lose all their remaining games, just that it was possible. After all, they did just lose 6 in a row, so it is possible, though unlikely. The Spurs seem to be back on track now.

BTW, don't even go there about me being a bandwagon fan. I've been a fan since long before the Tim Duncan era.

duncan228
04-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Spurs will clinch Southwest Division, and no worse than No. 2 seed, if Dallas loses tonight in Portland.

Mugen
04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I would love to hear your theory on this without bringing up 2007.. 0-2 vs Boston, 1-1 vs Chicago, 1-1 vs Miami

The Lakers are better than all 3 of those teams. If we get past the Lakers then i like the Spurs chances against any one of those teams.

ajballer4
04-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Amen.:toast

tdunk21
04-03-2011, 09:13 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN

Spurs will clinch Southwest Division, and no worse than No. 2 seed, if Dallas loses tonight in Portland.

ajballer4
04-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Mavs down 61-46 at halftime

lazerelmo
04-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Where are all the Laker threads? Is it bc they choked at home to Denver?

Kenyon Martin shut them all up. :lol

WHAT?

Dex
04-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Dallas about to lose in Portland.

Looks like the 2nd seed is a wrap. Now we just gotta focus on staying ahead of the Lakers.

timtonymanu
04-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Another division title! :toast

Now just 4 more wins please.

tdunk21
04-03-2011, 10:32 PM

honestfool84
04-04-2011, 02:15 AM

call me greedy, but i'd like 20 more wins. :D

honestfool84
04-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Dude, chill the fuck out. I didn't say I thought the Spurs would lose all their remaining games, just that it was possible. After all, they did just lose 6 in a row, so it is possible, though unlikely. The Spurs seem to be back on track now.

BTW, don't even go there about me being a bandwagon fan. I've been a fan since long before the Tim Duncan era.

my apologies... i just remembered you as a poster who thought the Spurs were going to win a ton of games... and that they were a solid team, and now that they lost 6 in a row, you went bananas on them.

oh well.

:tu

Strategic
04-04-2011, 07:57 AM
call me greedy, but i'd like 20 more wins. :D

Sunday was a righteous day!!!
Spurs win!!
Lakers lose!
Mavericks lose!!
Spurs clinch Southwest Division!!!

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Neither coach will show their hand in that LA/SAS game before the season ends.

Tinystarz
04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
who has the season series between SA and LA?

crc21209
04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
who has the season series between SA and LA?

Spurs lead the season series 2-1.....

wontstartdumbthreads
04-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Neither coach will show their hand in that LA/SAS game before the season ends.

Wrong. Phil Jackson won't give a shit. Everyone knows it already. Trying to crush the Spurs inside. Pretty good hand.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2011, 02:32 PM
The Spurs would be smart to treat that game like it matters.

Tinystarz
04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Spurs lead the season series 2-1.....

oh shit, so if La beats the spurs this coming game and Spurs and lakers records are tied at the end of the season....who gets HCA?

wontstartdumbthreads
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
The Spurs would be smart to treat that game like it matters.

I don't know. If they've already got HCA, what is there to gain?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't know, on one hand it would suck to lose to LA even if it is the regular season because the Spurs LA is the strongest team in the West right now.

But on the other hand, if HCA is locked up, it could be like the Spurs/Dallas game end of last year.

Sean Cagney
04-04-2011, 02:52 PM
What sucks is that the Spurs lost at least 3 games they should have won. HCA should be clinched already, or damn close to it.

I know man, those two blown games against Portland and Houston are horrible right about now! It would be theirs already basically if they did not have the damn brain fog at the end of those games and turn it over.