PDA

View Full Version : Hazleton/Wilks-Barre, PA

SoCalSpursFan
04-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Hey.

Don't post to frequently as of late, but I will be moving to Hazelton, Wilks-Barre, PA soon and I have never lived anywhere but LA or Phoenix my whole life...so it will be a change. I got a job there that I can't turn down.

Anyone here been there, know about it, know someone there, maybe even live there? Just looking for any tips, advice, or thoughts on the area.

Thanks in advance.
:flag:

gaKNOW!blee
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
i live about an hour south of Hazleton...can't really say I know alot about it tho.

i assume its a lot of white people and not a whole lot of city life.

Wilks-Barre is really close to Scranton, so if you've ever watched the Office its that type of environment.

CubanMustGo
04-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Wilkes-Barre population has gone down from 47,523 in 1990 to 43,123 in 2000, 40,694 in 2009. About a quarter are below the poverty level; it's about 85% white. More info at census.gov.

dimsah
04-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Lots of nice places to camp and fish around there. RIcketts Glen is right there and Worlds End is not too far away either in the Endless mountains. Good trout fishing in the Loyalsock creek when it's up. Poconos are little to the north east.
Other than that, a lot of shopping centers, corporate parks, etc.

Go a little south to Pottsville and check out the Yuengling brewery. The town looks like an old mining town though nestled in large hills and mountains.

gaKNOW!blee
04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Lots of nice places to camp and fish around there. RIcketts Glen is right there and Worlds End is not too far away either in the Endless mountains. Good trout fishing in the Loyalsock creek when it's up. Poconos are little to the north east.
Other than that, a lot of shopping centers, corporate parks, etc.

Go a little south to Pottsville and check out the Yuengling brewery. The town looks like an old mining town though nestled in large hills and mountains.

i was gonna say that too...great beer.

John Basedow
04-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Right off the PA turnpike...it's a "meh" town that's best days are behind it.

ChuckD
04-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Buy warm clothes. There's this thing called "cold" that you wouldn't be used to in PHO/LA

Destro
04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Pa is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama inbetween

Wild Cobra
04-03-2011, 10:59 PM
It's a huge change from Arizona and in humidity, temperature, rainfall, greenery... Pretty large change from southern Cal also.

People? No Idea. I only spent a night there driving through to the east coast. Probably much more friendly people than LA, maybe the same as Phoenix.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-03-2011, 11:59 PM
I've always wanted to live in Walla Walla, Washington.

ALVAREZ6
04-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Pa is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama inbetween
Kentucky.

Hence, "Pennsyltucky". So yeah, if you don't live in a college town or the greater Philly area (Pittsburgh blows), PA blows. Super gay alcohol laws as well compared to the average I'd say...the state taxes make beer pretty expensive compared to in other states, and it can be ridiculous at certain hours and towns to easily obtain alcohol. CROFL @ not being able to buy beer at super markets or convenience stores...or fucking anywhere to be quite honest.

:cry :cry :cry alcohol :cry :cry :cry

:cry :cry :cry tobacco :cry :cry :cry

:cry :cry :cry vices :cry :cry :cry

dimsah
04-04-2011, 02:18 PM
There''s a few super markets that can sell beer, like Wegmans, but you usually have to go to a distributor to get it. It's not really a problem since distributors are fucking everywhere.

If you're in Delaware county or southern Chester county you can go down to Total Wine in Wilmington where it's cheaper and they actually have most Shiner beers.