PDA

View Full Version : I Miss Global Warming

Wild Cobra
04-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Portland weather: Record-breaking cool spell should end this week (http://www.oregonlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2011/03/marchs_record-breaking_cool_sp.html)

A couple paragraphs:

The longest we had to wait before for that magic “60” had been March 27, 1955.

That record fell Sunday, and today’s forecast high is expected to remain in the low 50s, making it the longest stretch without a 60 degree day since record-keeping began at the airport in 1940.

ChumpDumper
04-03-2011, 10:02 PM
What will you post when it's hot?

MannyIsGod
04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/27411649/detail.html

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2011-04-03/red-flag-conditions-record-temperatures-fuel-fires-across-region

etc etc

Wild Cobra
04-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Send some off that warm weather here please.

Oh, Gee!!
04-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Send some off that warm weather here please.

will it clear your confusion between paragraphs and sentences?

CosmicCowboy
04-04-2011, 08:14 AM
We had trees/plants freeze killed/damaged in San Antonio this year that hadn't been dinged in 10+ years.

boutons_deux
04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
bullshit. Jan 2010 also had 2,3 day spell with 20F lows and 35F max highs that killed lots of Queen palms, MX fan palms, and other often very mature plants that are marginal in SA but had grown for many years, even decades.

An accurate prediction of global warming was instability, extreme high/low temps, extreme draught/wet. It's here. Moderate climate becoming immoderate.

CosmicCowboy
04-04-2011, 09:25 AM
bullshit. Jan 2010 also had 2,3 day spell with 20F lows and 35F max highs that killed lots of Queen palms, MX fan palms, and other often very mature plants that are marginal in SA but had grown for many years, even decades.

An accurate prediction of global warming was instability, extreme high/low temps, extreme draught/wet. It's here. Moderate climate becoming immoderate.

Apparently unlike you, I actually grow things so I can easily compare 2010 to 2011. My Mission and Manzanilla Olive trees came through 2010 with flying colors and got dinged bad this year and most were burnt to the ground although they are now coming back from the base. The California fan palms never even stopped growing winter 2010 and got dinged (but the core wasn't killed) in 2011. A fully mature 10 year old Firebush in my yard at the house did fine in 2010 but got killed dead in 2011 along with a 6 year old bottlebrush tree. That freeze was a bitch for this area.

I never said it proved or disproved any climate theory.

CavsSuperFan
04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I cant understand why Greenies make such a big deal about global warming…If that stuff really was happening Eskimos property values would increase & they could have real houses instead of igloos…Winning…

boutons_deux
04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Apparently unlike you, I actually grow things so I can easily compare 2010 to 2011. My Mission and Manzanilla Olive trees came through 2010 with flying colors and got dinged bad this year and most were burnt to the ground although they are now coming back from the base. The California fan palms never even stopped growing winter 2010 and got dinged (but the core wasn't killed) in 2011. A fully mature 10 year old Firebush in my yard at the house did fine in 2010 but got killed dead in 2011 along with a 6 year old bottlebrush tree. That freeze was a bitch for this area.

I "grow (tropical) things". That interest leads me to observe plants drrive around. Lots of (mature) MX fan palms were top killed in Jan 2010, and a lot of them were bottom killed, too. Queen palms fared even worse, being less cold hardy. Bizarrely (life is messy), sometimes MX/queen palms side by side died/survived. A lot of Washingtonia robust have been cross pollinated with the much hardier Washy filifera, so there are varying degrees of hardiness. There are two varieties of Queen, the silver queen being more cold hardy.

I don't assume that the temps and wind (wind chill) are consistent over large areas, which explain some of why there is a variation in how plants die/survive.

MannyIsGod
04-04-2011, 10:44 AM

2010 fucked over a lot of plants at my mothers house and she's got a veritable jungle. I remember having to clear out a lot of her dead plants that hadn't been hurt in the 12 years that she has lived there. It just varies in certain parts of the city.

I did post a study on how global warming could cause weather conditions that allow for polar air to spill out further south but keep the poles warmer. This means that while there are parts of North America that see much colder weather, the actual overall temp of the globe is higher.

RandomGuy
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
What will you post when it's hot?

Nuthin'.

SnakeBoy
04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
http://science.nasa.gov/media/medialibrary/2001/06/27/ast28jun_1_resources/jetstream.gif