PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen a zebra commit a lane violation?

GSH
04-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Kobe Bryant got called for a technical near the end of the first half today. (He left them no choice but to call it.) Gallinari went to the line to shoot the free throw. As he was finishing his routine, the ref walked a step or so into the lane, and stopped. Then, as he was starting to actually shoot, the ref started walking toward the basket... and WHILE Gallinary was shooting, he was milling around right at the basket. Did anybody but me see that and think WTF? Maybe it's coincidence that Gallinari missed the technical free throw, but it looked sure looked like he was distracted by the ref. I think most players would have been.

I can honestly say that, in all the basketball I've ever watched, I don't ever remember seeing a ref walking around in the paint, right in front of a player shooting a free throw. I can't think of any excuse for it. You can debate whether a ref really missed a call. (Or whether he was looking at Tony's feet when he called the out of bounds, for example.) But this?

I worry about the refs, especially in critical games. I really do. I tell myself not to, but then something like this happens. And I've seen some of the weirdest crap this season, especially in Laker and Heat games. I'm still not calling it a conspiracy, but I do believe in bias. The refs don't live in a vacuum, and if you keep hearing how a couple of teams are better than all the rest, and you start believing it, it's going to affect your objectivity. If Pau Gasol gets a rebound from behind, he timed it perfectly. If LaMarcus Aldridge does it, he was over the back, and it's a foul.

You may not like it, but I believe it happens. The ref today acted like the
Gallinari free throw was just a formality. I picked that example because it didn't happen against the Spurs, and the Nuggets won the game anyway - so nobody can say I'm just whining because it had a bad effect on the Spurs. If anybody out there can find a way to justify an NBA-level ref walking around in the paint in front of a guy shooting a free throw, I'd like to hear it.

I'm certain that it made a one point difference in the game. But it came right after the refs called a charge against Denver, when the Laker defender was clearly, unmistakably in the restricted circle. It was fortunate that those plays didn't decide the outcome of the game. Will plays just like them decide the outcome of any games in the playoffs? It's a lot easier to be dominant when you get the benefit of a few extra calls per game. The differential between teams is just not big enough.

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 12:01 AM
:lmao
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Never pass up a chance to cry about the officiating, even when it's a game your team didn't play in :lol.

Beaverfuzz
04-04-2011, 12:10 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Never pass up a chance to cry about the officiating, even when it's a game your team didn't play in :lol.

To be honest, I'm not sure your team played either. Great boxing out by Mr Kardashian. :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :whine

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 12:14 AM
To be honest, I'm not sure your team played either. Great boxing out by Mr Kardashian. :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :whine

True, there should've been a foul on Martin though. I don't know what for, but clearly David Stern wasn't anticipating it, or else he would've had the zebras foul him out earlier.

Dex
04-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too.

It looked like the ref was going to step out early, then Galinnari hesitated and glanced over at the Lakers bench. Then when he started going back into his shooting motion, the ref went right back to walking right into the paint.

If it had been a player, it would have been a clear whistle, but I guess they can't call a foul on themselves.

I don't care which side it goes for or against. The refs being boneheads is bad for everybody.

GSH
04-04-2011, 12:19 AM

Thanks for coming out, Richard.
http://www.gayonaccident.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/richard-simmons-gay.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 12:23 AM
:cry :cry :cry the officiating gave me uterine cramps :cry :cry :cry

Solid D
04-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah, Tony Brown walked out there as he was saying something to fellow official Leon Wood. It was almost like the refs weren't paying any attention to what was going on.

I don't think that was the reason Gallinari missed. He only made 5 of 11 FTs on the afternoon. If anything, it was Ron Artest saying something to Gallinari. Danilo looked back at Ron and then quickly shot his FT. It was a wierd play, no doubt, but I don't think it was Tony Brown that broke his concentration.

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Fans who habitually complain about the officials are mentally weak. It's a fact.

GSH
04-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Yeah, Tony Brown walked out there as he was saying something to fellow official Leon Wood. It was almost like the refs weren't paying any attention to what was going on.

I don't think that was the reason Gallinari missed. He only made 5 of 11 FTs on the afternoon. If anything, it was Ron Artest saying something to Gallinari. Danilo looked back at Ron and then quickly shot his FT. It was a wierd play, no doubt, but I don't think it was Tony Brown that broke his concentration.

You may be right. It's still kind of hard to understand a ref walking in front of a guy shooting a FT. The rules say that a player in the game can't "disconcert the shooter in any way". Seems odd that a ref would do it. Most players would be shocked to see the ref in the paint. I think it would be pretty damned disconcerting.

Just shouldn't happen. Especially at the NBA level.

GSH
04-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Deadly - I'm used to you guys coming here and being dicks. But is your life really so fucked up that you have time to sit and spam a single thread like this?

30 years old, living with Mom, no girlfriend, and too many cheap beers on a Sunday night. What's left but to sit around and type stupid junior high shit on a message board.

Dex
04-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Fans who habitually complain about the officials are mentally weak. It's a fact.

:rolleyes Welcome to the internet, tough guy.

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Deadly - I'm used to you guys coming here and being dicks. But is your life really so fucked up that you have time to sit and spam a single thread like this?

30 years old, living with Mom, no girlfriend, and too many cheap beers on a Sunday night. What's left but to sit around and type stupid junior high shit on a message board.

Are you describing yourself? Look in the mirror, you just went on a long diatribe complaining about the officiating in a game where your team didn't even participate. Moreover, you're throwing out the predictable "Lakers and Heat get all the calls" crybaby bullshit that's echoed ad nauseum here.

If you don't want stupid, sophomoric responses then don't make stupid, sophomoric comments.

The beginning part of your post and observation of the particular incident isn't what I'm taking issue with. It's the "woe is me, refs are out to get us" shit that you insinuated in the rest of it. Seriously, it's fucking stale.

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 12:47 AM
:rolleyes Welcome to the internet, tough guy.

Reaching for excuses is mentally weak. Just one man's opinion.

GSH
04-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Are you describing yourself?

Seriously, it's fucking stale.

Wow... you just hit me with "I know you are, but what am I?"

I have an idea. If the things being said on the Spurs forum are getting stale to you... maybe it's because we're all Spurs fans and you aren't. Won't the boys in your neighborhood let you play with them? Maybe they don't like the excessive use of emotes, "LOL", and all the other useless shit you bring to the discussion.

Put your big pants on, and go tell the bullies on the Laker forums that they have to let you play, whether they like it or not.

baseline bum
04-04-2011, 12:55 AM
'Eh, that wasn't shit. If you want to see a real player shoot a technical FT, fast forward to the 3:00 mark below.

hDV8omobMHA

GSH
04-04-2011, 01:05 AM
'Eh, that wasn't shit. If you want to see a real player shoot a technical FT, fast forward to the 3:00 mark below.

Okay, you made me laugh with that. Now THAT'S a distraction.

I love the original technical that got called, with Brian Williams screaming and pulling up his own shorts till they gave him a wedgie. And then all the shit going on while the other FT is being taken. You really do forget how the old NBA used to be until you see something like that.

Heh.... but now that I think about it, even then the zebras weren't assholes enough to walk around in the middle of the paint while he shot.

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Wow... you just hit me with "I know you are, but what am I?"

I have an idea. If the things being said on the Spurs forum are getting stale to you... maybe it's because we're all Spurs fans and you aren't. Won't the boys in your neighborhood let you play with them? Maybe they don't like the excessive use of emotes, "LOL", and all the other useless shit you bring to the discussion.

Put your big pants on, and go tell the bullies on the Laker forums that they have to let you play, whether they like it or not.

1. That wasn't a Spurs game

2. I have a better idea. Instead of making another thread crying about how the refs are supposedly against you, bring something original to the table.

3. Technically, this thread should be in the NBA Forum as it is not Spurs-related, but we all know why you didn't post it there...because you would've been called out on your crybaby bullshit immediately, then spammed to no end.

Like I said, if you would've stayed on topic about the incident then cool, I respect your observation and questioning of what took place. Instead you went on the predictable, vaginal route of "refs are gonna screw us in the playoffs."

Snappy comebacks, btw...the "big pants" and "bullies" takes were especially fresh.

koriwhat
04-04-2011, 01:19 AM
...3. Technically, this thread should be in the NBA Forum as it is not Spurs-related...

technically, you're not "spurs related", get the fuck out of here!

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 01:20 AM

Tune in tomorrow night. :)

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 01:23 AM

My calves are not spurs related, that's for sure.

koriwhat
04-04-2011, 01:28 AM
My calves are not spurs related, that's for sure.

wow, the OP definitely wasn't off when he pointed out how unoriginal and immature you are.

btw, them laker forums aren't good enough for you?

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 01:34 AM
wow, the OP definitely wasn't off when he pointed out how unoriginal and immature you are.

btw, them laker forums aren't good enough for you?

Are you sure you wanna go down the "unoriginal and immature road?" You are the poster child of that here. Crying about officiating is immature and unoriginal.

No, I don't like posting on LG because it's basically groupthink, just like the main forum here (as an opposing fan, it provides comic relief). You should try a new forum though, especially since the owner of this site just emasculated you over the airwaves.

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Goodnight, and good luck. Try to grow out of the ref excuses schtick. You've won 4 titles, no one's "out to get you."

GSH
04-04-2011, 01:40 AM
2. I have a better idea. Instead of making another thread crying about how the refs are supposedly against you, bring something original to the table.

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6902593/Be-original-Like-Me.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=retard-downsyndrome-kid

Night-night, Deadly Dynasty. I hope that mean ol' name of yours doesn't give me bad dreams.

koriwhat
04-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Crying about officiating is immature and unoriginal.

if you take the blinders off you might realize the real subject at hand... sure, OP is bitching about the refs but he's also bringing up the fact that a ref isn't being professional and doing his job by the book.

stop running this shit in circles and trying to make this thread into something it's not.

GSH
04-04-2011, 01:53 AM
if you take the blinders off you might realize the real subject at hand... sure, OP is bitching about the refs but he's also bringing up the fact that a ref isn't being professional and doing his job by the book.

stop running this shit in circles and trying to make this thread into something it's not.

Exactly. Like the other night when they allowed that not-quite-buzzer-beating shot by LeBron. That had absolutely NOTHING to do with the Spurs. Even the league office had to come out the next day and say that the officials were wrong.

LeBron is incredibly good. (As is Kobe. I used to take shit on this board all the time for being too complimentary about Kobe.) The shot was incredible, and exciting. But it was too late. The problem came when the refs went looking for excuses to count it, when they would have just waved it off for a lesser player.

It's not a conspiracy - I've said that lots of times before. But it is bias. And my observation was that I have seen a lot more really, really inexplicable calls this season, as compared to others.

Here's a challenge, Deadly. If you EVER see another ref walking around in the paint, right in front of a player shooting a free throw... come back and show me, and I'll say I was wrong. Just one. Until then, have another beer, and relax.

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6902831/Ma-the-fucking-cables-out-again.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=tourettesguybuttfuck
Deadly Dynasty on a typical Sunday night.

koriwhat
04-04-2011, 01:59 AM
how about the occasional jump-ball's this season because the refs have no idea what to call and go straight to that because of their incompetence... in all my yrs of watching bball, i don't think i have ever seen refs go to a jump-ball because they had no clue how to call the play that just happened.

shit's ridiculous this season and has been for a while now.

FromWayDowntown
04-04-2011, 02:02 AM

I noticed exactly the same thing and thought it was odd but innocuous.

Garretson's T on Karl was also odd to me. I know he told "Lakers" Breen that Georgie had been previously warned, but calling that from across the floor after a close play seemed fairly petty.

GSH
04-04-2011, 02:12 AM
how about the occasional jump-ball's this season because the refs have no idea what to call and go straight to that because of their incompetence... in all my yrs of watching bball, i don't think i have ever seen refs go to a jump-ball because they had no clue how to call the play that just happened.

Oh, yeah - the jump balls.

I saw someone (OKC maybe?) just get raped by one of those a while back. They got a steal, and were off on an uncontested fast break, when one of the refs blew a whistle. They all huddled, and I never understood what was supposed to have happened. But the next thing you know they were tossing up a jump ball. The other team got it and knocked down a 3-pointer. It was one of the nastiest 5-point swings I've ever seen, and it cost them the game. I thought, "What the hell... you know who had the ball, even if it was an inadvertent whistle. Just give it to them at mid-court or something. You don't make them fight for a possession they already had."

I added the bit about bias, and I stand by it. I understand that everyone may not agree.

I noticed exactly the same thing and thought it was odd but innocuous.

If I could think of a single example of it happening before, I would probably have felt the same way. Just one. But as far as I can tell, it just isn't done. I think it said something about the ref and his state of mind. Maybe just incompetence, but I can't believe he forgot where he was standing.

dbestpro
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
It's the game itself. The game has evolved as the players have evolved but the refs are most of the time not able to call a decent game. There is a foul on every play and as a result the game is more controlled by the refs than any other sport.

The solution is to deregulate the game and allow for more physical play. I would start first by making it a non call when the shooter jumps into the defensive player and allowing for two handed checks.

It would be worth it just to watch some of the prima donnas cry.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Since it was a Lakers game I didn't see the play. However, I heard that LA lost, so the refs were obviously calling a good, honest game yesterday.

DMC
04-04-2011, 06:00 PM

I love how the cheerleaders still did their show at the timeout... lol the show must go on!

DMC
04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Since it was a Lakers game I didn't see the play. However, I heard that LA lost, so the refs were obviously calling a good, honest game yesterday.
Not really, just that Denver kicked that ass.

Man In Black
04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Like 90% of most LAL boards including that "ground" one?

DMC
04-04-2011, 06:25 PM

I feel the same way about double technical fouls. It seems like a way for the refs to just get control of the game without pissing off either team too much, instead of punishing the player who actually committed the foul.

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 12:52 AM
whiner:lol

GSH
02-05-2012, 12:55 AM
whiner:lol

You're such a class act, DD. But hey, keep it up. I'm sure you can make yourself look like even more of a douche tonight.

I'll never understand why n!ggers get so defensive about their shitty qbs.

Fucking someone's wife is african american shit though, imho

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 12:58 AM
:lolwhiner

ducks
02-05-2012, 12:59 AM
no more bumping

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 12:59 AM
:cryI shouldn't have started with you after the last 3 times you bent me over here:cry

That's your problem now:lol

GSH
02-05-2012, 01:00 AM
no more bumping

Yeah, I'm bored with him. He's shown his true colors.

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I'm bored with him. So why did I engage him?

I don't know, maybe you should ask yourself.:lol