PDA

View Full Version : Arvydas Sabonis' injury-marred basketball journey ends in Hall of Fame

tlongII
04-05-2011, 09:15 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/04/arvydas_sabonis_injury-marred.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2011/04/9457698-standard.jpg
New Jersey Nets Kendall Gill puts up shot against Trail Balzer Aryvdas Sabonis

Former Trail Blazers center Arvydas Sabonis never liked to think about how great he could have been had injuries not ravaged his body.

"I would talk to him on the taping table about the past and his foot, and he would get extremely angry. He didn't like talking about it," Blazers athletic trainer Jay Jensen said. "He knew he could have been so much better, and he was irritated about that."

Even so, Sabonis was good enough before and after his injuries that he was among the inductees named Monday to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The class of 2011, which will be formally inducted in Springfield, Mass. in August, will include Dennis Rodman, Chris Mullin and a trio of coaching legends: Tex Winter, innovator of the "Triangle" offense, Stanford women's coach Tara VanDerveer and Philadelphia University's Herb Magee.

Longtime NBA and ABA center Artis Gilmore and Olympic gold medalist Teresa Edwards will also be inducted along with Harlem Globetrotter Reece "Goose" Tatum and Boston Celtic Tom "Satch" Sanders.

Sabonis led the Soviet Union to the gold medal in the 1988 Olympics, and led Lithuania to the bronze in the 1992 Olympics. While playing in the Soviet Union and Spain, he was named the European Player of the Year four times.

He was drafted by the Blazers in 1986 with the 24th overall pick, but didn't come to Portland until 1995, when he was 31 years old.

By then, he was hobbled by past injuries, particularly a ruptured Achilles' tendon and a severely arthritic foot. The foot was operated on in Spain before he came to Portland, and became infected. It became a constant nemesis for Sabonis.

When Blazers team doctor Don Roberts looked at Sabonis' medical files prior to his arrival, he was shocked. He called team general manager Bob Whitsitt as he looked at X-rays of Sabonis' foot.

"The X-ray alone would get you a handicap parking permit," Roberts said. "His foot was so bad it just didn't look like he would be able to run, to say nothing about basketball. So I called Whitsitt and said 'I don't think he can play.' Bob said, 'Oh, he can play."

Sure enough, during his seven seasons in Portland (1995-2001, 2002-2003) the Blazers would find out Sabonis still had some tricks left in him.

A behemoth of a man, the 7-foot-3, 292 pound Sabonis was exceptionally skilled. He was a remarkable passer – his behind-the-back, wrap around pass on the perimeter was his trademark – and a gifted shooter, making Sabonis a fan-favorite. He made an instant impact on the 1995-1996 Blazers.

He averaged 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds in his first season, and after being inserted into the starting lineup late in the season, the Blazers closed with an 18-3 record and made the playoffs as Sabonis averaged 17.6 points and 10.7 rebounds as a starter.

In the 1996 playoffs, he averaged 23.6 points and 10.2 rebounds, but the Blazers lost in five games to Utah.

After seeing his skills with their own eyes, it became common conversation in Portland to wonder what could have been had Sabonis come to the United States earlier.

"There's no question that before he came over, he was one of the top three centers in the world, right there with (Kareem) Abdul-Jabbar and (Bill) Walton," former coach Mike Dunleavy said last year."He could run like a deer, shoot, pass. He would have been incredible."

Current Blazers coach Nate McMillan played against Sabonis in the mid-1990s, and marveled at his passing ability and basketball intelligence. He, too, wondered what Sabonis must have been like in his younger years.

"I didn't see him when he was young, but I heard about when he was a young guy and could take off from the free throw line and do all these things," McMillan said.

The Sabonis stories in Portland were more of toughness and playing through pain.

Jensen and Roberts both remember the 2000 playoffs as a memorable Sabonis moment.

It was minutes before Game 3 of the 2000 Western Conference semifinals, and the Blazers were in crisis mode.

Sabonis couldn't move. His ankle had locked into place, and as he hobbled into the trainer's room at Utah's Delta Center, it looked as if the Blazers would have to make a lineup change.

"The guy couldn't move at all. At all," Jensen remembers. "And this is right before tipoff."

Jensen and Roberts started manipulating the ankle of the 35-year-old center.

"All of the sudden, there was this 'clunk' from his ankle," Jensen said.

Sabonis grunted, moved the ankle, and got up.

"He said, 'OK. I'm fine,"' Roberts recalled. "There was a click, and whatever was out of place got back into place, and he went out and played."

Sabonis went on to start and lead the Blazers with 22 points and eight rebounds in a 103-84 win, helping the Blazers go up 3-0 in the series.

Jensen said he and Roberts stared at each other in stunned silence, wondering what in the heck just happened.

What happened was just another day in the life of Sabonis' seven seasons in Portland: Pain, debilitating injuries, and above all, success in spite of the pain and injuries.

"He played in pain every day, it was just varying degrees of how much pain," Jensen said. "But he was a warrior. An incredible competitor. And he was amazing – both in how big he was, and in how good he was."

The Franchise
04-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I really wish he would have come over before all of his injuries. Even a crippled Sabonis was pretty darn good.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 09:58 AM
"He's not my Vydas.

He's not your Vydas.

He's our Vydas, Arvydas Sabonis."

Ashy Larry
04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
before the injuries and becoming Shaquille's ho on the side, dude was a beast ........

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
That's right, he was gonna be a Daddy Stopper. Daddy had some mercy on him though. Unlike Mutombo who he just slaughtered.

Pelicans78
04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Him fouling out in the 4th quarter of Game 7 was the biggest reason why the Lakers came back. Portland's offense collapsed once Brian Grant came in the game. Sabonis was a wizard on the floor.

Pelicans78
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
That's right, he was gonna be a Daddy Stopper. Daddy had some mercy on him though. Unlike Mutombo who he just slaughtered.

I could have sworn Shaq dunked Mutombo's head several times in that Final series. It was brutal.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Him fouling out in the 4th quarter of Game 7 was the biggest reason why the Lakers came back.

& because your team was terrified of winning & losing.

& your team hasn't changed an iota.

***Not "your" team. Sorry, 78.

lefty
04-05-2011, 10:07 AM
When he was young and before the injuries, dude could run and dunk like D-Rob.

Add to that his amazing hands and court vision...
:wow

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 10:07 AM
I could have sworn Shaq dunked Mutombo's head several times in that Final series. It was brutal.

It was the beginning of the end for Daddy. Colangelo immediately convened that Blue Ribbon Panel to make changes. That was it. We got one more whilst the teams recognized & implemented those changes. He couldn't move after that.

Kyle Orton
04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Shaq said somewhere (maybe in his book) that he hated the three big men (Mutumbo, Ewing and Mourning) who came out of Georgetown because of all the retarded cocky shit they did. Mutumbo especially because of the retarded finger wag.

Cry Havoc
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Shaq said somewhere (maybe in his book) that he hated the three big men (Mutumbo, Ewing and Mourning) who came out of Georgetown because of all the retarded cocky shit they did. Mutumbo especially because of the retarded finger wag.

Shaq of all people hating on someone for that kind of behavior. :lol

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM

But, the finger wag was from the heart, not from the mind. I thought it adorable & honest.

The butchering that Daddy did unto Mutombo in that Philly Finals was incredible.

Sportcamper
04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Anyone who thinks that Sabonis was a "wizard on the floor” has obviously never seen him play in the NBA…This guy is the most over hyped player ever…Sure he was good in the Euro leagues along with Tiago, Medvedenco & Sasha…But against players like Shaq he was exposed for the soft, clumsy & slow player that he really was…I will never forget those Lakers games against Portland where Shaq would make his move to the basket & Sabonis would just fall over & in that squeaky little voice of his would whine to the refs…’HEY HE FOULED ME”…

Having this Euro Poser in the NBA hall of fame with players like West, Kareem, Magic & Baylor is a complete disgrace…:bang

Kyle Orton
04-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Shaq of all people hating on someone for that kind of behavior. :lol

Shaq didn't come into the league with the "M.D.E." attitude he has now. I think he developed it over time because his first few years he was too nice. IMO he didn't start winning he found reasons to hate guys like Malone, Robinson, and Mutumbo and developed a mean streak of some sort.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Anyone who thinks that Sabonis was a "wizard on the floor” has obviously never seen him play in the NBA…This guy is the most over hyped player ever

Campy is right here. This Sabonis Legend has acquired a life of it's own thru the years. Like an urban myth.

Bully, Campy, bully for you.

jag
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Anyone who thinks that Sabonis was a "wizard on the floor” has obviously never seen him play in the NBA…

Having this Euro Poser in the NBA hall of fame with players like West, Kareem, Magic & Baylor is a complete disgrace…:bang

If it were the NBA Hall of Fame your post might actually have significance.

It's the basketball HOF and Sabonis was a stud long before he came to the League.

Sportcamper
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Also I love how the press plays the sympathy card…Poor Sabonis…You should have seen him before his injuries…What a joke…The guy drinks a bottle of vodka & falls down a flight of stairs & we have to pretend that his injuries are sports related? Only Portland was dumb enough to sign the guy…
Lisa Leslie could kick Sabonis's Azz… :lmao

Sportcamper
04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
If it were the NBA Hall of Fame your post might actually have significance.

It's the basketball HOF and Sabonis was a stud long before he came to the League.

Ohhh well that is a horse of a different color...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3bsSa9N7Ul6CepurIaat_opuaIp55J-LMX09KKWua0rtLcvL8TQ

jag
04-05-2011, 10:27 AM
:lol He wasn't all that special in the NBA. His passing and BB IQ were impressive but he was definitely Shaq's bitch.

Watch some videos of a young Sabonis, though and you'll see how talented, smart and athletic the guy was. He was much more NBA-ready than 90% of these 1-and-done college "stars".

Fpoonsie
04-05-2011, 10:34 AM
IMO he didn't start winning he found reasons to hate guys like Malone, Robinson, and Mutumbo and developed a mean streak of some sort.

The "Robinson-reason" being complete shite notwithstanding...

Kyle Orton
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
It wasn't complete shit. Robinson clearly had something against Shaq since the beginning of Shaq's career, to the point where he went against the man above and ran up the score against the Clippers in a meaningless game to steal the scoring title from Shaq. It was petty and bushleague.

jag
04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
It wasn't complete shit. Robinson clearly had something against Shaq since the beginning of Shaq's career, to the point where he went against the man above and ran up the score against the Clippers in a meaningless game to steal the scoring title from Shaq. It was petty and bushleague.

Robinson had nothing against Shaq. And what makes you think Robinson wanting the scoring title has anything to do with Shaq? Could he not just want the accomplishment of winning a scoring title?

Shaq created a ridiculous story about Robinson snubbing him of an autograph as a small kid. He said Robinson yelled at him and told him to leave him alone. That's Shaq's reason for "not liking" Robinson. Because that story seems believable right?

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM

& I think Robinson tried to convert Daddy to be a Baptist. I heard that at the time. It was either Baptist, or, Pentecastal. Daddy didn't like that. He was like a Protestant.

Greg Oden
04-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I think we should take a minute and recognize Robinson's high SAT scores.

Fpoonsie
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
It wasn't complete shit. Robinson clearly had something against Shaq since the beginning of Shaq's career,

You mean "competitiveness"? :wow

to the point where he went against the man above and ran up the score against the Clippers in a meaningless game to steal the scoring title from Shaq. It was petty and bushleague.

Watch clips from that game again. Not only did he want that scoring title, but his teammates wanted that scoring title for him, and so did the Clipper "faithful."

Hell, at one point, you can even see some excitement on the Clip bench. That had nothing to do w/ who he was topping that game. It was simply the fact that it was there for the taking.

jag
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/david.robinson/images/david-robinson-tim-duncan(2).jpg

He is an amazing human being.

Fpoonsie
04-05-2011, 10:50 AM
He is an amazing human being.

:cry Este :cry

jag
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I will gladly turn this into a David Robinson thread.

GLADLY!

Kyle Orton
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Did Robinson ever want the scoring title outside of the '94 season? It just seems odd to me that the one time he ever played to win the scoring title (in a blatantly obvious manner mind you) was the season when Shaq was the other one in contention for it. Maybe he really did want it, but he didn't seem like someone who ever gave a shit about the scoring title sans the 1994 season.

Chances are Robinson did deny Shaq an autograph (like all athletes do). The yelling part is probably bullshit though.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Duncan certainly saved Robinson's hash. Hadn't been for him Robinson would be like O & Life.

Kyle Orton
04-05-2011, 10:53 AM

rofl whottt talking shit to me that one time acting like D-Rob's SAT scores were his accomplishments.

Kyle Orton
04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/david.robinson/images/david-robinson-tim-duncan(2).jpg

lol USC

jag
04-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Did Robinson ever want the scoring title outside of the '94 season? It just seems odd to me that the one time he ever played to win the scoring title (in a blatantly obvious manner mind you) was the season when Shaq was the other one in contention for it. Maybe he really did want it, but he didn't seem like someone who ever gave a shit about the scoring title sans the 1994 season.

Chances are Robinson did deny Shaq an autograph (like all athletes do). The yelling part is probably bullshit though.

Robinson's competitiveness has never been in question. I'm not sure what all the reasons for him wanting a scoring title were, but I wouldn't have a problem if him wanting to beat out shaq was one of those reasons. When you're at the top of the game it's natural to challenge others at the top.

Shaq created that story because he had no reason to dislike Robinson. And Shaq always needed outside reasons to dislilke his opponents. I guess it's what motivates him.

Robinson was always everything that Shaq was not.

Fpoonsie
04-05-2011, 10:56 AM

Obviously, I can't honestly say for sure how many other times he may have "wanted" the scoring title. That game, he sure as hell did. He needed 33. He got 71. It was, admittedly, one of the least "humble" moments in Rob's career, but I can't fault the guy for it. He was hot. Why not see whatchoo can get out of it? Had it simply been to beat out Shaq, why not get the 34, and sit him?

He was simply having an amazing game. Might as well sit back and enjoy it.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Cept a 4 time NBA Champion.

jag
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Cept a 4 time NBA Champion.

Mentally capable people are having a discussion here. Go back to eating jello and remembering the days when you could walk upright.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Mentally capable people are having a discussion here. Go back to eating jello and remembering the days when you could walk upright.

It's germane.

Kyle Orton
04-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Robinson's competitiveness has never been in question. I'm not sure what all the reasons for him wanting a scoring title were, but I wouldn't have a problem if him wanting to beat out shaq was one of those reasons. When you're at the top of the game it's natural to challenge others at the top.

Shaq created that story because he had no reason to dislike Robinson. And Shaq always needed outside reasons to dislilke his opponents. I guess it's what motivates him.

I wasn't questioning his competitiveness by saying he wasn't someone who cared about the scoring title, I was saying it always seemed like he cared about other shit (like winning games), and not the scoring title.

Shaq probably embellished the autograph story. If he wanted to pull a story out of thin air I think he woulda done something better than "D-Rob yelled at me for asking for an autograph," and as you said, he needed something to motivate him. He never seemed like someone who was motivated by basketball itself.

Fpoonsie
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
He never seemed like someone who was motivated by basketball itself.

That's prolly true. It'd make sense, given the countless times he whined about being "slighted" by someone else. I've always thought him to be one of, if not THE most insecure players in history.

Maybe it was simply what he used to compete...to keep his head in it.

[shrug]

CavsSuperFan
04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Point of order…

Shaq has never said that Robinson yelled at him…Shaqs story per his book is that Robinson snubbed him when he asked for his autograph….To which Robinson replied….I think that I would have remembered a 7’ tall 275 lb San Antonio teenager asking me for an autograph…. :lol

DJ Mbenga
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
cold war ruined his nba career.

Budkin
04-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Sabonis had some sweet moves.

Budkin
04-05-2011, 12:39 PM

What about that stupid fucking duck walk he used to do after dunks? He's one to talk.

SomeCallMeTim
04-05-2011, 12:40 PM

FJ3FXLyNFew

I'm a Shaq fan and even apologist, but the stuff he got away with in that series... smh. Mutombo is lucky to not have permanent impairment from all the cranial damage he sustained in that series.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
^We got three in-a-row in the record books before they could get it stopped.

Matzel, Matzel.

Greg Oden
04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
It's always funny when culbear acts like he's been a long time laker fan.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 01:00 PM
It's always funny when culbear acts like he's been a long time laker fan.

I never defend my fandom. It's my religion.

LnGrrrR
04-05-2011, 01:21 PM
"He's not my Vydas.

He's not your Vydas.

:lol :toast

Chomag
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Dude was a freaking monster. I can't imagine how dominant he would have been if he came to the NBA earlier when he was healthy.

baseline bum
04-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Watching Sabonis was like watching Walton; just as complete a bigman as you'll ever find. On top of that he could shoot like Sam Perkins and was more athletic than Walton too. I have no doubts a healthy Sabonis would win multiple MVPs even in the Jordan era, and putting him with Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, and Buck Williams would have created one of the great dynasties in NBA history and created a rivalry with Chicago on par with Boston/LA in the 80s.

Giuseppe
04-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Watching Sabonis was like watching Walton

Fine analogy, Bum.

Walton, at prime was near beautiful to behold. The embodiment of perfection.

Axe Murderer
04-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I wasn't questioning his competitiveness by saying he wasn't someone who cared about the scoring title, I was saying it always seemed like he cared about other shit (like winning games), and not the scoring title.

Shaq probably embellished the autograph story. If he wanted to pull a story out of thin air I think he woulda done something better than "D-Rob yelled at me for asking for an autograph," and as you said, he needed something to motivate him. He never seemed like someone who was motivated by basketball itself.

Actually I think if Shaq wanted to make up a story that would be the perfect one to pull up. Obviously Robinson turned down people for autographs over the years and it's not like he remembers every single one.

midnightpulp
04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Hell of a player. Congrats.

lil_penny
04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
"He's not my Vydas.

He's not your Vydas.

:toast

der Kaiser
04-05-2011, 08:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3FXLyNFew&feature=related