PDA

View Full Version : suspension issues

stretch
04-05-2011, 01:48 PM
I have a 2006 Mazda 3s

Around 100,000 miles, and ride has gotten quite bouncy. What all do I need to consider doing to fix this problem? I'm 99% sure I need new shocks. Do I also need new coils, or are there any other things I need to consider replacing, in addition to the shocks?

Bito Corleone
04-05-2011, 03:09 PM
buy american asshat
:lol Why? So he'd have to replace the engine, transmission, driveshaft, and most of the electronics in the first 60,000 miles?

CosmicCowboy
04-05-2011, 03:10 PM
probably just shocks. Standing by your car push down and release...if it bounces more that 1 1/2 times replace the shocks. springs are probably OK unless you want to go stiffer for performance while you are messing with it.

stretch
04-05-2011, 03:11 PM
probably just shocks. Standing by your car push down and release...if it bounces more that 1 1/2 times replace the shocks. springs are probably OK unless you want to go stiffer for performance while you are messing with it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The ride is so rough and bouncy that it sometimes gives me a headache, because I am constantly being jerked around.

Sportcamper
04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
There is not much to do to a Mazda 3….Very simple & reliable….Wait for shocks to go on sale at Sears or Wal-Mart…Springs last a long long time… Unless you just want to upgrade to something after market heavy duty, leave them alone…

Sportcamper
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Also if the shocks really are that bad they would be leaking oil…Pretty simple to shine a flashlight up there & take a look…

TeyshaBlue
04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
They'll be struts, not shocks. Struts are quite a bit more expensive than a typical shock plus installation is tougher as well. The rears will likely be shocks tho.

stretch
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
They'll be struts, not shocks. Struts are quite a bit more expensive than a typical shock plus installation is tougher as well. The rears will likely be shocks tho.

Why would they be struts as opposed to shocks? I'm just wondering for my own benefit so I can understand this stuff better when I have to deal with it again in the future.

Bito Corleone
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
go eat some spaghetti
That supposed to be an insult?

Sorry but I'm biased against American cars. My first car was a Lexus that I drove for 2 years and never had a single problem with. Then I drove a Suburban for 4 years and had every single problem I listed above. Now I'm driving another Lexus which, again, I have had zero problems with.

Greg Oden
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
The ride is so rough and bouncy that it sometimes gives me a headache, because I am constantly being jerked around.

rofl

CubanMustGo
04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Why would they be struts as opposed to shocks? I'm just wondering for my own benefit so I can understand this stuff better when I have to deal with it again in the future.

Certain cars have struts installed at the factory, others have shocks, and some have one in the back and the other in the front. They're not interchangeable.

CubanMustGo
04-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Sorry but I'm biased against American cars. My first car was a Lexus that I drove for 2 years and never had a single problem with. Then I drove a Suburban for 4 years and had every single problem I listed above. Now I'm driving another Lexus which, again, I have had zero problems with.

LMFAO comparing a Lexus to a Suburban

Bito Corleone
04-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Struts are a combination coil spring and air shock absorber. The combination is better for both. Normally it's the air shock absorber that needs to be serviced more often.

Sportcamper
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Front suspension is by MacPherson struts, with coil springs and an anti-roll bar... Rear suspension is a Ford-Designed "E-link" multi-link suspension, with four locating links per wheel and an anti-roll bar, suspended on coil springs that are mounted inboard of the shock absorbers to reduce suspension intrusion into the cargo area...

Bito Corleone
04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
LMFAO comparing a Lexus to a Suburban
It was more comparing American vs Non-American from my personal experience. I could find more examples from other people if you like. American cars/trucks are notorious for being poorly built.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-05-2011, 04:34 PM

Chevy lol

PM5K
04-05-2011, 05:00 PM
I think I need new shocks too. Whenever I bang hoes in the back seat of my ride it bounces all over the place. I mean they are big girls so it could be that, but it's easier to find cheap shocks than skinny hoes.

Sisk
04-05-2011, 06:25 PM

I have an F150 that has about ~95K miles right now and I have barely had any issues at all. Generalizing in either direction is retarded.

Sisk
04-05-2011, 06:27 PM
It was more comparing American vs Non-American from my personal experience. I could find more examples from other people if you like. American cars/trucks are notorious for being poorly built.

Look at this amazing build quality from this lexus truck.. I mean toyota.. You know you're driving a toyota, right?

yrieIkkTx7Y